Chapter 17

Not According to Plan

There was no word about Alia for the rest of the day and Yoongi’s worry over her condition only continued to grow. He had spent countless hours looking up information on the internet about what could happen to someone after being in a car accident, but he had only made himself more worried. It had taken all of his self-control to not phone Alia's mother to check on her condition. He wanted to stay by her side, but he didn’t want to impose on her family’s time with her.

 

The next morning, he woke up to the sound of his phone ringing. He couldn’t remember falling asleep. He blindly reached out for his phone, disorientated from waking up on his couch instead of his bed. He sat bolt upright when Alia's mother’s number appeared on his screen. He gripped the phone tightly as she said the two words that he had been waiting to hear.

“She’s awake.”

He got ready in record time, not caring about how he looked, as long as he was dressed. He raced to the hospital, needing to see her with his own eyes.

 

 

 

Just as he arrived at the door to her room, her mother stepped out of the room. She smiled brightly at him whenever she saw him. Her tired smile from two days ago had been replaced by a smile that lit up her entire face. “Yoongi! I didn’t expect you to get here so quickly.” She said as she reached out for him, grabbing his hand in hers. “I had to see her.” he said, straining to stay polite when all he wanted to do was see Alia. “I’m sure she’ll be happy to see you. I’m just heading out to get her something to eat.” Yoongi bowed. “Thank you.” He said, thankful that he would have some privacy to see her. They exchanged farewells and Yoongi knocked on the door. He heard Alia's voice telling him to come in and hearing her voice simultaneously calmed him down and made his heart race.

 

He opened the door and stepped inside, praying that this wasn’t all a dream. Alia was sitting up in bed, propped up against her pillows. She was still pale and she was still hooked up to all the machines around her bed, but the oxygen mask was now resting to the side instead of on her face. He closed the door behind him and cautiously approached her. It took all of his self-control to not run to her and scoop her up into his arms. She gave him a small, tired smile as he stopped beside her bed. “Hey.” She said, her voice raspy as he sat on the seat beside her, still half expecting to wake up at any second.

 

“Hey.” He said as he reached out and slipped his hand into hers, needing to feel her, as if her touch would help him feel like he truly wasn’t dreaming. He was happy to notice that her hand had more warmth in it than it had two days ago. They both sat in silence for a few minutes, both of them looking at their entwined hands. “How are you feeling?” Yoongi asked, finally breaking the silence. “I’ve felt better. Got a pretty bad headache, but the doctor said it should pass by the end of the day.” Yoongi nodded as he looked up at her. There were so many things he wanted to say to her. He wanted to wrap his arms around her and tell her everything he had been holding inside. He wanted to apologise. He needed her to know that he was sorry. He wanted to beg for her forgiveness for not believing her.

 

“I’m so glad you're okay.” He whispered, not able to say what he truly wanted to say. “When the paramedic answered your phone and told me you'd been in an accident…” he took a deep breath in an attempt to compose himself, clearing his throat to stop it from breaking when he spoke. “I can barely even remember getting to the hospital. I can just remember feeling numb and then next thing I was in the waiting room with your family.”

 

He felt her tighten her grip on his hand. Her grip was weak, but he would take it over the feeling of her cold, limp hand from before. “I'm sorry.” She said quietly. His head snapped up so that he could face her. “Why are you apologising? It’s not your fault.” He said, giving her a ghost of a smile. “Can you remember what happened?” he asked. She shook her head, wincing slightly from the movement. “It’s all a big blur. I can remember calling you…then I remember light… something really bright… then red. But that’s it. It’s just random flashes of colours and sounds, I can’t put them in order or make sense of them. The doctor says that its normal and that I should probably be able to remember everything after a while.” She said with a frown.

 

“That’s a relief, don’t strain yourself too much.” He said, both of them smiling at each other, both just happy to be in each other’s company. They chatted easily, both of them wanting to talk about the reason why they were going to meet on the night of the accident, but neither willing to bring it up. Yoongi only left whenever a nurse came in to the room to take Alia to run some tests, her mother by her side. “I’ll come back and see you soon, ok?” he promised. “Ok.” she said, a smile appearing on her face. He squeezed her hand one more time before leaving, a huge weight lifted from his shoulders now that she had woken up.

 

 

 

JaKyung lay on the floor of her living room. She had barely eaten since that night, but she had drank plenty. She heard someone call her name and blearily turned around to see her mother approaching her. “What on earth? Yah! Are you crazy!?” her mother yelled as she knelt down beside her and pulled her into a sitting position. “Are you trying to kill yourself?!” she yelled as she gestured wildly at the empty bottles that littered the coffee table and the floor around them. Tears began to fall down JaKyung’s face. “Mother…” She whimpered.

 

Her mother cursed and grabbed her arm, trying to keep her upright. JaKyung pushed her away. “Don’t touch me!” she screamed. “Don’t touch me.” she whimpered as she covered her face with her hands. Her mother frowned at her. “JaKyung, you need to pull yourself together.” She warned. “What are people going to think if they see the state you’ve gotten yourself into, huh?” she asked, her hands resting on her hips as she knelt next to her crying daughter. “How did you expect to find me?” JaKyung shouted back, not able to look her mother in the eye. “Did you expect me to be fine, to be sitting here acting as if nothing happened?” she said, her voice rising with each word. “She could have died!” she shouted, tears streaming down her face.

 

Her mother frowned at her. “She didn’t die so why are you making such a big deal out of this?” her mother asked. JaKyung could only laugh. “How can you say that? You almost killed someone!” she said, her gaze landing on her mother for the first time since she had entered her apartment. Her mother’s frown turned into a glare. “You are so ungrateful. You know that everything I do is for you! You said that you told Alia to end her fake relationship with Yoongi but things still weren’t working out for you. I was trying to help you!” her mother shouted, her emotions finally slipping through. JaKyung looked at her mother in disgust. “You don’t even feel guilty, do you?” she asked.

 

“She didn’t die, so stop making a fuss.” Her mother yelled as she grabbed JaKyung by the arm and dragged her towards the bathroom, with JaKyung screaming and trying to push her off the entire way. She forced her into the shower and turned the water on, not caring that JaKyung was still fully dressed. JaKyung yelped as the cold water soaked her.

 

“You need to sober up.” her mother said through the glass of the shower as she leant through and turned off the water. “Listen to me. No one will ever know what happened that night.” She said as she grabbed a towel and it in JaKyung’s direction.  “Don’t worry. I’ll fix everything.”