Chapter 10

Not According to Plan

Alia slammed her hand against the steering wheel, pain shooting up through her wrist to her arm. “You idiot! You complete, and utter, idiot!” she shouted, as she narrowly avoided hitting a parked car. “How hard is it to say ‘let’s break up’?” It’s not like we’re actually dating! It shouldn’t be this hard!” she shouted as she hit the steering wheel again. She continued cursing and berating herself until she finally arrived at her building. When she reached her apartment, she kicked off her shoes, not caring where they landed and dropped her bag and jacket on the floor. She threw herself onto the couch, crossing her arms over her chest.

 

Her phone rang from her pocket, she half expected the call to be from Yoongi, but instead it was JaKyung's face that appeared on her screen. She sighed loudly before answering the call. “Hey, JaKyung.” She greeted, her voice weary. “Hey, Alia! How's things?” she asked. Alia stretched her legs out on the couch, leaning back and getting comfortable, knowing that any call with JaKyung was bound to last a long time. “Not too bad.” She lied. “Sorry I've been kinda MIA lately.” she said, genuinely feeling a little guilty for avoiding her friend lately. “Don’t worry about it, Yoongi told me that you were sick. How are you feeling now?”

 

“Much better, thanks.” JaKyung hesitated a little before talking again. “Hey, so there’s actually a reason that I called you.” She said, sounding unsure. “What’s up?” Alia asked. “Well I don’t know how to say this so I’m just gonna be blunt, ok?” Alia sat up, suddenly feeling nervous. “Ok…” JaKyung let out a deep breath. “My mother wants me to start dating Yoongi and I told her that your relationship isn’t real.” Alia froze, she felt like all the air had been ripped from her lungs. “I didn’t mean to tell her! I just kinda blurted it out, I didn’t mean it!” JaKyung said quickly when there was no response from her friend.

 

“So first off, I wanna say I’m really sorry for telling your secret. And the second thing is… I want to ask you to break up with Yoongi.” Alia scoffed at JaKyung’s audacity. “JaKyung, don’t you think it’s kind of a move to ask me for a favour after breaking my trust like that?” she said angrily. “I know! I know, I’m a major but you said yourself that you don’t have feelings for Yoongi, so it shouldn’t be that big a deal, right?” Alia laughed, completely in awe of JaKyung’s attitude. “Yah, whether or not I have feelings for Yoongi is completely beside the point! The point here is that I trusted you with a secret and you broke that trust!”

 

“I said I was sorry!” JaKyung protested. “Sorry doesn’t fix everything, JaKyung.” She spat as she stood up and started pacing around her living room. “Well that’s all I can do. I shouldn’t have told, but I did. It’s not like I hurt anyone by telling.”

 

“You hurt me. I thought you were my friend.” Alia said quietly. JaKyung sighed, a little guilt creeping into her voice. “I am your friend, Alia. But I need to think about my future as well.” She said, hoping to calm her friend down. “Yoongi’s too good for you.” Alia said, her anger getting the better of her. “Excuse me? I’m not the one lying to the whole world by having a fake boyfriend!” JaKyung shouted. “Maybe I should just tell the press about the whole thing! That way you wouldn’t have any choice but to break up with him!” she shouted. Alia froze, “You wouldn’t.” she said, anger flowing through her. “Wouldn’t I? At least that way you'd be forced to end this stupid charade and I could get Yoongi to myself.”

 

Alia clenched her fists. “Who says that he would go to your side if you pulled a stunt like that? You'd be embarrassing him just as much as me.” Alia said, trying to keep her voice calm. “I can do it anonymously. He’d never know it was me.” She replied smugly. “I’d know. I would tell him.” JaKyung laughed, “You wouldn’t have any proof.” Alia suppressed the urge to drive over to JaKyung's house and pull her hair extensions out one by one. “I seriously didn’t know you were this kind of person, JaKyung.” She said, her voice full of disappointment. “You should know I always get what I want. Break up with Yoongi in two days, or I’ll go public with the whole thing.” JaKyung threatened before hanging up.

 

Alia stood in the same spot for over five minutes, desperately trying to think of some solution to her problem, but the only solution she came to was to break up with Yoongi. The thought of JaKyung being with him made her stomach churn even more than it had before. Before it had just been out of jealousy, now it was so much more. She let out a loud scream as she swiped at the things on her coffee table, the large glass vase shattering as it hit the floor. She cursed loudly as she threw the cushions from her couch across the room, not caring about the broken glass all around her.

 

She picked up a photo frame that held a photo of her and JaKyung that had been taken at her birthday party the year before. She looked down sadly at the photograph before throwing it against the wall, satisfaction flowing through her at the sound of the smashing glass. She flopped down onto the floor, resting her back against the couch, her chest heaving. She pulled her knees up to her chest, her fingers into her hair as tears began to fall down her cheeks.

 

She sat that way until she was almost shaking from the cold. The water from the vase had steadily creeped closer to her, soaking her feet and trousers making her shiver. She lifted her head, her neck stiff from leaning forward for so long. She reached back and grabbed her phone, bringing up Yoongi’s number. She briefly considered calling him, but she didn’t have the nerve. She started writing a text, telling him that she thought it was time for them to end their fake relationship. She wrote that her parents had started asking about when they would get married so there was no point in continuing their charade. She wanted to tell him about JaKyung, but she decided against it, knowing that there was a good chance he would never believe her. If someone had told her just that morning that JaKyung would threaten her for any reason, she would have laughed in their face.

 

 

Yoongi was sitting in front of his laptop when he heard his phone beep with a message. He quickly finished up what he was writing before picking up his phone. He smiled when he saw that the message was from Alia. His smile quickly disappeared as he read the message. He could hear the blood roaring in his ears as he re-read the message. “What the is this?” he said. “Is this what she was trying to say to me at the restaurant earlier?” he hit the call button, his fingers impatiently drumming on the table as he waited for Alia to answer.

 

Alia jumped at the sound of her phone ringing, her finger hovering over the decline button. She bit her lip. “It’ll be easier to talk to him like this rather than face to face.” She said as she took a deep breath and hit the answer button. Yoongi didn’t even give her the chance to speak. “Alia, what the is that message about?” he asked, his voice laced with anger and confusion. She took a deep breath, once again forcing her feelings down. “It’s like I said in the message. My parents have started to bring up when we’re gonna get married, the whole point of this plan was to stop this kind of question, right?” she said as she took a breath. “So, there’s no point continuing to pretend to be dating otherwise things are just gonna get complicated. You know what my mother is like, I’m surprised she hasn’t already contacted your mother about wedding dates and venues.” She lied, hoping that he wouldn’t pick up on the quiver in her voice.

 

She nervously paced around the living room, taking care not to stand on any of the broken glass that littered the floor. Yoongi was stunned, the sudden request to break up catching him completely off guard. Even though he had never fully admitted it, he truly enjoyed the time they had spent together, sometimes even forgetting that it was all for show. “This is just… really sudden.” He said, his mind reeling. “I know, I’m sorry. I was going to tell you at dinner, but it just felt weird.” She said, her tone apologetic. He nodded, even though she couldn’t see him. There was silence for a few minutes, neither of them sure what to say next.

 

Alia was the one to break the silence. “So, I guess this is it.” She said as her tears began to fall again. “Yeah…” Yoongi said, still in shock. “I’ll talk to my parents tomorrow and let them know. We can just tell them that things weren’t working out. If your parents make a fuss, just blame me, ok?” she said, not wanting Yoongi have any hassle from his parents about the break up. She knew that his mother would asked a million questions just like she knew her mother was going to. “Goodbye Yoongi.” She said before clicking the end button, not giving him a chance to reply as a sob escaped her. She dropped to her knees, her tears running freely as she sobbed into her hands.

 

 

Yoongi stood frozen, his phone still at his ear. “Goodbye…” he whispered even though the call had already ended. His hand slowly fell down to his side. He felt like a hole had just been punched through his chest. He didn’t care what his parents were going to think or say, all he could focus on was the fact that he had just lost Alia. He tried to think of some way to change what had happened. He wished that he would just wake up in bed and for it all just to be a horrible nightmare. But he wasn’t that lucky. This was reality, and it hurt like a .