tenth shot

Last Call

It had been a while since any of the boys had seen or even heard from Jayoung. Months passed, and she was all but forgotten in their minds. Seunghyun had moved on from his broken heart, which slowly healed over time. The group watched as the eldest flirted with yet another bargoer at the door. They don’t know whether to feel happy over the fact that he was moving on, but this kind of flirting wasn’t healthy.

“Someone has to speak to him. I’m tired of sleeping on Seungri’s couch every night because there’s always a girl over” Daesung whined loudly, rubbing at his back. Youngbae patted his back comfortingly, sliding past him to serve another drunk woman.

Youngbae sighed, shaking his head a bit. “We can’t control him. This is his healing. I mean, we can’t let him sit around and mope for Jayoung forever. Who knows if she’s ever going to show up again?” The other bartender looked at him sympathetically. Daesung knew how he gave up on Jayoung for Seunghyun, and he knew how much it broke his heart to never hear from her.

A few hours later, the five boys began to clean up as the crowd began to slowly drift out. Daesung gathered the napkins with the phone numbers on them, stuffing them in his pockets to save for a rainy day. He watched as Youngbae carelessly swept them into the trash, not interested in anyone. If Seunghyun’s healing process was sleeping around, Youngbae’s healing process was to suffer in silence. Seunghyun had already disappeared, off with his new conquest to the house. The rest gathered around the table with their glasses, not a word passed between any of them as they drank silently.

“Can I sleep on your couch again tonight?” Daesung nudged Seungri, who agreed with a soft grunt. He was exhausted, and had a slight headache from being so close to the main amps.

“I’m gonna head off. I’ll see you guys in a day or so” Youngbae waved goodbye, offering small smiles around the table as he thanked god for the day off. The club never opened on a Sunday night. The male grabbed his bag, leaving through the back door. He paused at the sight of his car, seeing a lone figure with a hoodie leaning against the driver’s side. Slowing his pace, he walked closer to the car, opening his mouth and calling out. “Hello? Can I help you?”

The figure looked up at the sound of his voice, straightening their stance. As Youngbae approached they fumbled, slipping off the hood of the jacket. He squinted in the dim lighting, trying to focus on any facial features. His gaze traced over the bags under familiar eyes, ones that seemed like the never went away. The small pouty lips matched the slightly rounded cheeks, which seemed fuller than the last time he saw them. His mouth formed a small ‘o’ as he stepped forward, the female smiling shyly as he recognised her.

“Hey” She mumbled softly, crossing her arms in front of her chest. She wasn’t sure what reaction to expect, and was slightly surprised when he wrapped his arms around her tightly. Jayoung hesitantly wrapped her arms around him, squeezing his middle ever so gently. His embrace seemed so familiar, even though she never hugged him before. The female rested her head upon his chest, nuzzling in as she felt the male tighten his arms around her when she began to pull away. “Hey, I’m right here. Don’t waste all your hugs in one night” Jayoung joked weakly, smiling at him when he pulled away.

“Why didn’t you ever try to contact us?” He asked, hands resting on her shoulders. Youngbae searched her face for answers, and she looked away ashamed.

“I didn’t know if I would be welcomed. I caused a lot of trouble” She bit her bottom lip, looking down at her fingernails. Before Youngbae could speak she opened again. “I’ve tried contact Seunghyun several times, but he’s been screening my calls. And Daesung’s never picked up the phone. . .don’t they live together anymore?” She looked up at him, but Youngbae was hesitant to give her the truth.

“Daesung never hears the phone. He’s almost deaf to it” It was only a half-truth; he often never hears the phone. “Are you sure hyung’s not just missing your calls?” He said hopefully, not wanting the female to feel down.

“If by missing my calls you mean blocking my number, then sure, he’s just missing my calls” She laughed bitterly, shaking her head with a shrug. “But enough about that”

“You’re right, enough of sad topics” Youngbae finally took in a moment to look at the healthy glow of her skin, how her cheeks filled out and lost that sunken starved look. “You’re looking really well. Have you been taking care of yourself?” He asked curiously, looking into her eyes.

“Ah, yeah. I’m currently renting a place. I have a dog, and I’m seeing a psychologist to help me get over some things. I’m looking for a job too, and I’m no longer classed as underweight” She chuckled softly, patting her stomach. “In fact I think I’m leaning towards overweight” Her humour made Youngbae laugh, cutting it off as he noticed her shiver.

“Oh yeah, do you want to come over?” Youngbae unlocked the car, smiling hopefully at her as he grasped the car keys in his hand. He had just got her back, his heart felt happy. He wasn’t ready to let go of that feeling yet, wasn’t ready to let go of her again. He noticed her hesitancy, quickly taking hold of her hand in his free hand. “Please. I’ll take you home in the morning, I promise. I just. . .Christ. . .” He broke off, letting go of her hand to run his hand through his hair. “I just missed you, Jayoung. I was – We were worried about you”

“All but Seunghyun” She said quietly, sighing before reaching up to tuck her hair behind her ear. “Alright. Fine.” Jayoung agreed, holding up a finger as she noticed how excited Youngbae was getting. “But on one condition” She paused, staring as he waited expectantly for her to say it. “Can we eat something other than stew? I mean, it was great, but I don’t fancy stew. Let’s get pizza” He laughed, nodding his head as she moved around to the driver’s side.

“Pizza it is. Hop into the car, let’s go” He got into the seat, smiling and watching as she walked around, sliding in beside him. Youngbae rested a hand over his heart briefly, grinning to himself as he felt the steady beating. It no longer felt weak; it felt full of happiness and joy.

Jayoung glanced over at the male, covering to stifle a laugh as she noticed the stupid grin on his face. “What’s got into you?” Youngbae looked up startled, laughing awkwardly as he started the car.

“Nothing, nothing! Let’s just go!” And with that he backed out of the car park, feeling slightly unfocused with the smiling female at his side.

A/N : sorry this is short; I wanted to get back into the writing and wanted to update it somehow.