Epilogue

Lux in Obscuro

 

Bluebell

 

Junmyeon stood in front of a jewelry store’s front desk, pensive, as his fingers tapped the glass surface. It had already passed an hour since he arrived at the store, and he still hadn’t found what he wanted. A ring? No, he wanted both to choose that. But neither a necklace, a bracelet, an earring, or a watch felt good enough. They didn’t convey the meaning he wanted them to have. So, Junmyeon stood there, thinking what else in that store he could choose.

“Sir, would you like to see our brooches collection?” the saleswoman asked.

Junmyeon raised an eyebrow. A brooch? Yixing did often wear pins on his work suits. Perhaps that was the answer. Junmyeon nodded.

One by one the woman handed him different types of brooches. As Junmyeon touched the various shapes, the stones they carried, he thought it felt the same as the others. That was until he felt the one. The one with the that went up and bent downwards, ending in bell-like forms.

“Miss is this a bluebell brooch?” he asked.

“Yes, it has three bluebells. It’s made of white gold with tanzanite stones,” the saleswoman answered.

Junmyeon smiled. He remembered Yixing’s voice telling him, all those years ago, that bluebells could signify everlasting love, he remembered how Yixing carefully took care of his bluebells in the terracotta pots, and then he knew. Junmyeon knew that he wanted to propose to Yixing with this brooch. He knew which words he wanted to engrave on its delicate . And Junmyeon knew that every time Yixing would wear the brooch, he would make sure to carefully pin it on the left side of his chest so Yixing could carry Junmyeon’s promise near his heart.

“Is it possible to engrave some words on it?” he asked.

“Of course, sir. What would you like to write?”

“I love you forever.”

The woman on the counter smiled, then she helped Junmyeon with his purchase and told him it’ll be ready in two to three weeks. Junmyeon nodded and thanked her for the help.

As he walked back home through the daunting city streets, holding the white cane, his heart raced more at the fact he would ask Yixing to marry him, rather than walking on his own. It was funny, though, he knew his boyfriend would say yes. Ever since that day, when he and Yixing were cuddling on the sofa and Yixing whispered the words ‘I love you, Junmyeon’ for the first time, he knew he wanted to be the one to ask Yixing the question. He felt butterflies and fast heartbeats at the expectation of Yixing saying the word ‘yes.’

Junmyeon stopped by the grocery store to buy some shiitake mushrooms and pork belly. He arrived at the apartment complex in the evening. When he opened the door he called after Yixing, but no one answered. Ah, right, he must still be visiting Han, Junmyeon thought. He removed his shoes and walked inside.

After putting the groceries on top of the counter, he got ready to cook dinner. It had been a while since he cooked his boyfriend’s favorite dish, braised pork rice. That had been the first dish he had ever cooked to someone when he came back from the training center for the blind. Yixing had complimented his cooking skills, thanked him many times, held his hands and pampered his cheeks with light kisses. He smiled at the memory, as he used the audio labeling device to find the other ingredients and spices he needed. It didn’t take him a long time to cook now. Junmyeon had mastered his adaptive cooking techniques, and now in less than an hour, the meat was simmering on the stove, and the rice cooker prepared the rice.

As he waited for the dishes to cook, Junmyeon began watering the plants. Yixing had gotten his interest in growing plants and flowers after returning from Junmyeon’s parent’s house. Yixing had enjoyed the contact with nature and wished to have a little bit of that in his own home. And when they were moving in together, he asked if Junmyeon wouldn’t mind. Junmyeon didn’t care of course. He didn’t mind their apartment had terrarium plants, cactuses, orchids, amaryllises, heartleaf philodendrons, and bluebells here and there. He liked it too, and he enjoyed the scents they emitted. Junmyeon hoped the day they moved to a bigger house, their garden would be vast enough for Yixing to grow as many plants as he wished.

The vibrant red amaryllis Junmyeon watered, that stood on the shelf in the living room, was next to a photo frame. Yixing had said the picture was of them and Trost. It was the last picture they took with their friend three years ago, Trost’s face was squeezed between Junmyeon and Yixing’s wide teeth smiles. The day Trost died was the second time Yixing cried in Junmyeon’s arms. Junmyeon couldn’t stand the pain of hearing Yixing sob, his heart broke with every tear Yixing shed and dampened his shoulder. It didn’t help he was crying too, after all, he had also been fond of Trost. But the only thing Junmyeon could do was to hold Yixing tightly in his embrace, and they cried together over the loss of their dear friend.

Junmyeon returned to the kitchen once he finished watering the plants. The rice cooker was done. He stirred the pot, it still needed more time to simmer. With time to spare, he walked to their shared study room and brought his laptop with the Braille terminal, placing it on their dining table as he waited for the food to cook. There were some emails from his clients, but he mostly focused on revising the financial statement due tomorrow. Even if at first, Junmyeon had chosen to continue with his accounting studies mostly for convenience’s sake, he had actually come to like his job. It was entertaining and he had some great coworkers.

His fingers touched the Braille terminal and typed as he made his final corrections on the document. Six years ago, when Junmyeon was first learning how to read Braille, he thought he would never get the hang of it. He complained and vented a lot whenever he spoke with Yixing on the phone. Sometimes Junmyeon would apologize for burdening his boyfriend with such problems. However, Yixing said he didn’t mind and listened to him ramble nonetheless. Yixing always told him to believe in himself. And just as with many things, Junmyeon had been wrong, because he did learn Braille, and by now his reading and writing speed was decent enough for work.

Junmyeon spent the next hour between typing on his computer and stirring the simmering pot until the clock rang and signaled the food was ready. He set up the table, and he didn’t have to wait long to eat dinner because ten minutes later Yixing arrived. Junmyeon stood up and walked to the hall.

“Yixing, welcome back,” Junmyeon greeted Yixing as he approached the door.

Yixing smiled brightly. He took off his shoes before running to hold him. “Hi, love.”

Junmyeon smiled back. Arms enclosed his waist, and sweet plump lips caressed his own lips. He raised his hands around Yixing’s neck, bringing him closer.

When the kiss ended, Yixing leaned his forehead against Junmyeon’s, their noses were touching. “I missed you.”

Junmyeon chuckled. “We’ve only been away for a couple of hours.”

“I know, but I still missed you.”

“Yeah, I missed you too,” Junmyeon said and let go of Yixing’s neck. He grabbed Yixing’s hand instead. “Come on, it’s time for dinner,” Junmyeon said and guided his boyfriend to the dining table.

“But I said I was going to cook tonight,” Yixing protested.

“You did, but I also figured you would be coming late and tired. Plus, I prepared something you’ll like.”

“I could smell it from the hall,” Yixing said as Junmyeon guided him to stand in front of his seat. Junmyeon pulled out his chair, and Yixing sat down. But before Junmyeon walked to his own seat, Yixing carefully grabbed his arm and brought him closer so he could kiss both his cheeks. “Thank you,” Yixing said. “I love you Junmyeon, I’ll always love you.”

Junmyeon smiled, that smile where his eyes turned into crescents, and his cheeks glowed, the smile Yixing loved to see every day. “And I’ll always love you too, Yixing.”

They sat down and began eating. As Junmyeon already suspected he’ll do, Yixing complimented his cooking skills right after the first bite. The couple conversed about their day. Due to professional secrecy with his patients, Yixing could never tell Junmyeon what he did at work (not that Junmyeon wanted to know). But he did say things like if he managed to help someone, if he got a new patient or if his assistant came late again. While Junmyeon told Yixing how his day had been too, but of course, he omitted the visit at the jewelry store.

“How was Han?” Junmyeon asked.

“Oh, he’s doing fine! It was just a cold, but he’s staying at our parent’s house for now. You know, because of the baby. But he’ll be fine.”

“That’s good to hear.”

“By the way, he asked if we could babysit her this weekend. Is that okay?” Yixing wondered.

“Of course,” Junmyeon said and smiled.

“Okay, I’ll tell him yes then. And I think in the future Meifeng and Han will help us take care of our kids when we need it as well,” Yixing said without thinking. They hadn’t really talked about children yet. He looked carefully at Junmyeon and anxiously waited for his reaction.

Junmyeon was stoic for a short moment, but later he beamed again. “Then our kids will be in safe hands.”

Yixing exhaled and a broad smile formed on his lips. “Indeed,” he agreed.

After they had finished eating, Yixing offered to wash the dishes. Junmyeon accompanied him until he was done. Later Junmyeon was going to shower alone, but Yixing said they should shower together ‘to save time and water.’ Junmyeon chuckled but accepted it nonetheless. And then they laid in bed together. Yixing’s head rested on Junmyeon’s shoulder, and Junmyeon held him by his upper back.

“Goodnight, Yixing.”

“Sleep well, Junmyeon.”

 

 

Two weeks later, the jewelry store gave Junmyeon the bluebell brooch. His fingers couldn’t sense clearly the engraved words, they were too small, but he trusted they had done a good job. For another couple of days, Junmyeon kept the box hidden in his sock drawer.

On an early Saturday morning, at the beginning of May, Junmyeon and Yixing visited Junmyeon’s parent's house. The old couple had invited them to celebrate Mr. Kim’s retirement. They arrived just at noon. It was a balmy spring day, summer was approaching. Trees and flowers had blossomed. Animals and insects had returned from their hibernation. Nature was awakening again.

The celebration with Junmyeon’s parents was an outdoors lunch with family and friends from the town. Tables and chairs had been placed in front of the house. There was a variety of food and beverages. Junmyeon and Yixing went around greeting everyone after they had talked with Mrs. and Mr. Kim. When all the guests had arrived, everyone shared a nice meal and conversations. The gathering lasted until the evening. And since Junmyeon’s mother had insisted the young couple to stay over, Yixing and Junmyeon had brought sleepwear and extra sets of clothes for tomorrow. They were going to stay in Junmyeon’s old room, which was now turned into another guest room.

When Junmyeon’s parents went to sleep, Yixing and Junmyeon didn’t. Instead, Junmyeon suggested for them to sit on the dock and get some air. Yixing went outside first while Junmyeon went to grab something from his duffle bag. He picked up the little box.

Junmyeon knew others might think this wasn’t a special proposal, it wasn’t anything fancy or thoroughly planned. But to him, it held a special meaning. This was the place he had met Yixing, the love of his life. This was the place they had fallen in love with each other. This was the place they had shared their first kiss. And this was the place he wanted to ask Yixing to marry him.

Junmyeon followed the stone tile path that led him to the dock. He held the box behind his back. When he reached the end of the dock, his free hand roamed until he felt Yixing’s head. Junmyeon sat down next to Yixing, holding the box on the other side, and dipped his feet from the dock. The water felt mild against his feet. Yixing leaned his head on Junmyeon’s shoulder.

“It was a nice day,” Yixing said.

“Yeah, it was.”

“You know, a full moon is shining brightly in the dark sky. And many bright stars are accompanying her.”

“That sounds beauti-tiful,” Junmyeon answered with a shaky voice. His heart raced. He didn’t have a speech prepared either. Junmyeon was just going to say what was in his heart. But he believed Yixing would appreciate the gesture and the words he said, he wouldn’t be disappointed. Slowly, Junmyeon’s doubts subsided, and he decided to say it now. Carefully he brought forward the box in front of them. Yixing’s gaze moved from the moon, to observe the box. Junmyeon raised his other hand and opened it. And thanks to the moonlight, Yixing could distinguish the glistening bluebell brooch and the words ‘I love you forever’ on it.

“Yixing, my love, our love is everlasting. There can’t be enough words to describe how you make me feel, but here’s an attempt: With you, I have found what true love is, what true happiness is, with you I am the luckiest one. It has been six years since we met, and I want to spend every day of the rest of my life with you. I love you, Yixing. And this might not be a ring, but it still holds a promise of forever… Yixing, will you marry me?”

Yixing eyes glistened, but without hesitation, he said the words Junmyeon waited for.

“Yes, of course, yes, Junmyeon.”

 

 

Final Author's Note

I wanna thank you all who subscribed, commented or upvoted! I truly appreciate it ♥️♥️♥️ And to everyone who commented (or will comment), thanks again! It means a lot to read your thoughts and opinions ^o^

It has been a lot of fun! And well, I think this is a better final chapter. Although, I have no idea if this is a proper epilogue or just some random ending??? Probably the latter one XD Honestly, I’m just a rookie when it comes to writing, which explains why this story had defects and lacked in some aspects. Yet despite its flaws you still read it ;w; so really thanks for reading this fic! ^_^

Lastly, have a nice day you all! ♥️~