Chapter 13

Lux in Obscuro

 

The end of summer

 

The night after the revelations of Yixing’s past and their mutual feelings, Yixing and Junmyeon had decided to be in a relationship. Even if it might seem too soon for many, they had spent so much time together, they had come to know each other well, there were no secrets between them now, and they were sure of their feelings for one another, that it didn’t feel rushed or doubtful for them. However, to their dismay, today was Friday. It was the day before Yixing’s departure. His university would start again the upcoming Monday.

Most of the morning Yixing had thoroughly cleaned the house and packed most of his belongings. Junmyeon had helped him with whatever he could, like folding clothes. Once everything was done and settled, Yixing prepared lunch for the two. But Junmyeon suggested that they stored the food in containers and that they walked to the wood anemone field, like they did all those weeks ago, so they could have a picnic. Of course, Yixing smiled while agreeing with him.

Yixing placed everything they needed on a backpack and minutes later, the pair and Trost, made their way into the woods. Junmyeon held Yixing’s arm, and as always, Yixing guided him and explained the scenery. The sun shone brightly in the sky accompanied by some fleecy clouds, but the crispy and fresh wind hitting their skins signalized the end of the sweltering hot was nearing. They walked the same path as before and reached the water stream. They removed their shoes. Yixing first carried Trost while crossing over the creek so the dog wouldn’t get wet. Then, he helped Junmyeon walk over.

When they reach the field of wood anemones, it was bare and empty. The flowers had already withered. Junmyeon sighed and apologized for his dumbness. It was the beginning of August, of course, the wood anemones would have withered a long ago, he said. Yixing smiled tenderly at Junmyeon, and answered that it didn’t matter, it was still a beautiful place to eat at. Yixing took out the blanket and put it in the middle of the field. He unpacked their meals, and they began eating. Trost was also eating next to them.

They talked about what Yixing will do tomorrow. Junmyeon’s parents returned in the morning, and they would have to explain to them everything that had happened. Yixing also said he planned on staying until the late afternoon, but Junmyeon told him he should leave earlier instead, probably before noon. Even if Junmyeon wanted to spend more time with his boyfriend, he knew it wasn’t safe to drive for so long during the night.

Yixing put away everything when they finished their meals. But they didn’t leave right away. Junmyeon crawled around until he managed to back hug Yixing. He sat down again and wrapped his arms around Yixing’s waist, holding him securely to his body, and he rested his head against Yixing’s shoulder. Yixing placed his hands on top of Junmyeon’s hands, and he leaned closer to Junmyeon’s cozy chest.

These past days they had been talking about their future and which course their lives would take after this summer. Yixing had almost everything sorted out. After college, he would search for a job, and in case he didn’t manage to get one right away, he’ll continue working as a caregiver temporarily. Eventually, he would go for a Master’s degree. Junmyeon on the other hand still didn’t have any career prospects. First and foremost, he wanted to learn how to live as a blind person. Yixing had done his best to tell him how he could achieve that, which places that could help him, what he’ll do there, and so on. Yixing had also said he’ll support Junmyeon no matter what he chose to do if he needed more time.

“So, have you finally decided what’ll you do, Junmyeon?”

“After hearing everything you’ve told me, I think I’ll enroll in one of those training centers for the blind.”

Yixing smiled and said, “That’s great! It’s a big step forward.”

“Yeah, honestly I don’t want to depend on anyone anymore. Don’t take me wrong, it’s not that I dislike you taking care of me. I don’t mind you guiding me and stuff, but one day you’ll get tired of it. I wanna be useful too. I wanna walk on my own, so I can always hold your hand when we walk together. I wanna cook my own meals, buy my own groceries, wash my own laundry and stuff like that, like Jongdae… I wanna be somebody you can be proud of calling your boyfriend.”

Yixing turned his head sideways and pecked Junmyeon’s cheek, in reaction Junmyeon smiled. “You are already someone I am proud to call my boyfriend, Junmyeon. And you know I would never mind taking care of you, but I understand that you aspire to be independent again. The training centers will teach you that. I know you’ll be able to make it, and I’ll be supporting you with all of my heart.”

Again, Junmyeon smiled yet it faltered rapidly. “But it’ll take a long time for me to accomplish everything, right?”

“Yeah, the most comprehensive training programs could last up to a year.”

“And I’ll be living away in some apartment or residential area, wouldn’t I?”

“It depends on which place you chose to attend, but yeah.”

Junmyeon sighed. “I’m sorry you’ll have to wait so long for me to become normal, Yixing.”

“Hey! Don’t ever say that, neither do apologize for anything. Junmyeon, the important thing is that you adapt yourself to this new life in peace and quiet, no rush and pressure. I understand we won’t be seeing each other as much from now on, but time flies, doesn’t it?” Yixing said and squeezed Junmyeon’s hands. “Take all the time you need, Junmyeon, I will be waiting for you.”

This time Junmyeon turned around and tenderly planted kisses on Yixing’s cheek until Yixing turned around and Junmyeon found Yixing’s lips. Junmyeon would never get tired of the heady taste that was his boyfriend’s lips. They stopped kissing once the pain on their neck became too much. They faced straight ahead of them again.

“Besides, I’ll be busy with college, but I can visit you whenever I’m free,” Yixing said between breaths.

Junmyeon held his arms around Yixing a little bit tighter. “Thank you.”

“There’s really no need to thank me.”

“Then, you are the most wonderful person.”

“No, no, you are the most wonderful person Junmyeon,” Yixing protested.

“If I disagree, you’ll do the same, won’t you?”

“Yeah, you already know I’m just as tenacious as you are.”

“Okay, we’re both wonderful then.”

Yixing smiled, and Junmyeon mirrored his beam. They were quiet for a while. Yixing sat there, holding Junmyeon’s hands, watching the clouded sky above them. Junmyeon kept hugging Yixing closer to him, inhaling his boyfriend’s strawberry scented hair. Trost was lying next to them, napping.

“Hey, I’ve just realized I’ve spent the entire summer here, but I didn’t bathe in the lake once,” Yixing said out of nowhere.

“Well, there’s still time. Do you want to do it now?”

“Oh no, my bathing trunks are at the bottom of my suitcase. The water’s probably too cold right now.”

Junmyeon chuckled. “Maybe next year we can return to bathe together.”

“Yeah, that sounds good. It’s a promise then,” Yixing answered.

If they were saying things out of the blue, then Junmyeon would say his. “Yixing...”

“What?”

“Would you mind waiting a lot until our official first date?” Junmyeon asked nervously.

“No, of course not! I already said I’ll wait for you.”

“Yeah? It’s just that, once I’ve learned how to move and walk, I wanna be the one taking you out on a date. So far you’ve been the one taking us out, I know those weren’t dates but… I still wanna be the one that plans something for us next time.”

There was a broad smile on Yixing’s lips. “What do you have in mind?”

“Well, there's this restaurant I really like. They have the best black bean sauce noodles! And whenever I had a cheat day diet and some free time on my training days I would go eat there. But at that time, I usually ate with my friends or alone if we didn’t have the same schedule. I… I always wished one day I’d eat a meal there with someone I really liked. And well, I want to take you,” Junmyeon said. If Yixing turned sideways, he could have seen the blush that painted Junmyeon’s cheeks. “Or maybe not, it sounds stu-stupid,” he added quickly.

“No, it’s not! It sounds wonderful to me, Junmyeon. But honestly we can do anything you want, as long as I have you by my side, it is more than enough to bring me happiness.”

Yixing’s words were always recomforting to Junmyeon. He kissed his boyfriend’s cheek again.

“I feel the same, Yixing,” Junmyeon said.

“But I do wanna taste those black bean sauce noodles.”

“I’ll make sure you do.”

They sat in the field for a couple more minutes, just enjoying each other’s company. But once Trost had woken up from his slumber, they decided it was time to head back. Yixing stored the blanket back in the backpack. Then they strode together back to the house.

The rest of that Friday afternoon and later in the evening, Junmyeon and Yixing did what they usually had done before. They watched two of the movies they had bought, they listened to an audio book or to music together, Yixing prepared dinner for the two and Junmyeon helped him by washing the vegetables. However, the only thing that differed now was that sometimes their hands would be intertwined, their heads would be resting on one of their shoulders, or they’d share brief and long kisses. It was their last day alone together, and they wanted to shower each other with as much affection as they could.

Eventually, Friday had to come to an end. Around midnight, Junmyeon laid restlessly on his bed. Half an hour before, he had kissed Yixing goodnight, but he couldn’t sleep. His heart ached a little because he knew tomorrow was coming soon. Deep down he didn’t want Yixing to leave, but he was aware that they needed to move on with their own lives. Besides, as Yixing had said it, time flies rapidly. Still, he couldn’t take the emptiness his bed suffocated him with. So, he got up.

Junmyeon walked out of his room and strode to the stairway. He knew he couldn’t be able to go up the staircase like that, so he went down on all fours and carefully crawled his way up.

Meanwhile, Yixing was laying on his bed, trying to get some sleep when he heard noises from the hall and then footsteps near his room. He sat up and the lamp on the nightstand. Junmyeon stood under the doorframe, looking a little troubled. “Junmyeon? Did something happen?” he asked worriedly.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t sleep alone…Is, is it alright if I sleep next to you tonight?”

Yixing smiled lovingly. “Of course, it is!” he said. “Just turn around a bit to your left and then walk straight forward.”

Junmyeon did as he was told. He strode carefully until Yixing said he was standing in front of the bed. Yixing turned off the lamp and moved away to give space to his boyfriend. Junmyeon got on the bed and under the duvet. He moved closer to Yixing and rested his head on top of Yixing’s chest, while his arm wrapped around Yixing’s waist. It wasn’t bare, and Junmyeon wanted to ask Yixing if he could remove his long sleeve t-shirt so he could feel his warmness, but decided to contain himself. Yixing began to tenderly caress Junmyeon’s chestnut hair.

“I’m gonna miss you, Yixing,” Junmyeon uttered sadly as he closed his eyes and snuggled closer to Yixing.

“I’m gonna miss you too, Junmyeon,” Yixing responded with equal sadness in his voice. Of course, Yixing felt dejected about leaving Junmyeon too. He knew it would pass some time until they could see each other regularly once again. He was going to be busy with college, and Junmyeon would be busy organizing everything to enroll and then attend the training center for the blind. But Yixing knew it was necessary for them to separate for some time. Junmyeon needed to find himself again, he needed to become the independent person he wanted to be. And no matter how long time it may take, Yixing wasn’t planning on leaving Junmyeon. No, he would wait for him, because even if Yixing had been in love before, he knew that Junmyeon was the only person he truly loved. He also knew Junmyeon was the only person who could truly love him too, the whole him. Junmyeon would be the first and the last person he would one day say ‘I love you’ to. Junmyeon would be the first and the last person he would give himself to. Junmyeon was the only person he saw growing old with. Surely, they would be away for some months, but it would be nothing compared to the years together they had ahead of them.

Breaking from his realm of thoughts, Yixing said, “But we’ll be alright, then we’ll have enough time to compensate for everything. Besides, I’m too in love with you to let you go now,” he said, trying to console his boyfriend.

Junmyeon smiled. “Me too, Yixing. There’s no way I’m letting you go.”

Slowly Yixing moved Junmyeon away from his chest. Then he got on his side, facing Junmyeon, who had also turned to lay on his side. Yixing held Junmyeon’s hands and leaned closer to caress Junmyeon’s lips with his.

When they parted for air, their foreheads rested against one another’s, their noses were touching, they were still holding hands.

“Goodnight, Yixing,” Junmyeon whispered. In Yixing’s company, he could finally sleep.

“Sleep well, Junmyeon,” Yixing muttered.

 

 

The following day, in the early Saturday morning, Yixing and Junmyeon were awakened by the doorbell. Rapidly, they got off the bed and walked out of Yixing’s room. To save more time, Yixing asked Junmyeon if he didn’t mind being carried down the stairs. Junmyeon flushed, but this time he held out his arms.

Trost stood in front of the door barking. Yixing squatted down to calm him down. Junmyeon opened the door, stepped forward and embraced both of his parents. The first thing he said was how glad he was that they had returned safely, how much he had missed and loved them. Yixing smiled behind Junmyeon, as he observed the two slight astonished faces in front of him. Still, the Kim pair beamed and hugged his son back, they could already sense how happier Junmyeon was now.

After the emotional family reunion, the elder pair walked inside the house. Mr. and Mrs. Kim greeted Yixing and thanked him. Yixing blushed and said they had nothing to thank him for, instead he apologized for bringing his dog without their consent. But Mr. Kim shook his head and assured there was no problem. Yixing nodded and smiled shyly. Afterward, Yixing walked back to his room and changed into his regular clothes, he also tidied the guest bedroom.

When Yixing returned, he saw the Kim family seated around the dinner table. The Kim couple was talking about their vacation, how it had been, what they had done, all the places they had visited. And as they talked Yixing decided to prepare breakfast for them. Mrs. Kim went over to help him, Yixing gladly accepted her help.

It was as they were eating breakfast that Junmyeon started telling his parents about what happened during the summer. Sometimes Yixing would fill in some details. Mr. and Mrs. Kim smiled and sometimes laughed along with Junmyeon’s recount of their summer. Mrs. Kim would occasionally stare lovingly at Yixing as if she was silently thanking him for everything.

When they had all finished eating, Junmyeon held Yixing’s hand. Yixing couldn’t help being nervous about how Junmyeon’s parents would react to someone like him being in a relationship with their son. Yixing had been hired to help and accompany Junmyeon, not to end up falling in love with him. Nonetheless, Junmyeon started telling his parents about how they felt for each other, what they were now, and what they planned to do.

But Junmyeon didn’t say anything about Yixing’s past. The day before Junmyeon had told Yixing he wasn’t going to say anything about his boyfriend’s past. That was something personal to Yixing, and it wasn’t his right to go around telling anyone, including his parents. Yixing feared to tell them, but if he didn’t say anything, he felt he was lying to them. However, to ease his boyfriend’s apprehension, Junmyeon said his parents were understanding persons, and the day Yixing decided to tell them about it, they were not going to doom and judge him like all those other people. Junmyeon told Yixing he should say it whenever he felt ready to, or not if he preferred it that way. Plus, Junmyeon didn’t want Yixing to revive the atrocious memories once again in the same week.

When Junmyeon stopped talking, Mrs. Kim started shedding some tears. She was thrilled to hear Junmyeon talking so eagerly about his future, saying how he wanted to adapt to his new life. She was also glad to know her son had found someone so wonderful and good-hearted like Yixing, who understood and appreciated Junmyeon dearly. Mrs. Kim was happy for them, and her husband agreed. They wished them well, and all the happiness in the world. Lastly, they told Junmyeon they would support and help him enroll the training center for the blind, they would do anything to help Junmyeon stand on his feet again.

Both Yixing and Junmyeon smiled, still holding hands.

As the morning passed they continued their conversation. Yixing talked about himself, his studies, his family, his work as a caregiver. And Junmyeon parents did the same, they talked about their lives, what they do, how they ended up living in the middle of the woods, when they met, and other things.

Hours passed quickly, and it was almost noon, the time for Yixing to go. He would have to grab lunch from the town. Yixing went back to the guest room to bring down his suitcase. As he stood by the entrance door, he said goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Kim, earning himself a hug from both and well wishes on his final year. Yixing smiled, bowed, and thanked them. Then he, Junmyeon and Trost walked to the car.

Junmyeon squatted down and said his farewells to Trost while Yixing put in his suitcase in the trunk. Junmyeon petted and caressed the dog’s fur as he talked. Trost responded with whines and on his hand. When Junmyeon finished, Yixing called Trost to get inside the car. The dog barked one last time and jumped inside.

Yixing walked over to stand in front of Junmyeon. He held his boyfriend’s hands. “I guess this… This is it, for now of course! This is only momentary,”

“Yeah, it’s just for now,” Junmyeon answered and smiled.

Yixing let go of Junmyeon’s hands and took him into his arms. “I’m gonna miss you, I’m gonna miss you so much.”

“I’m gonna miss you a lot too,” Junmyeon replied as he hugged Yixing tightly.

“I’ll call you every day.”

“I know, once in the morning, once in the evening, right?”

“Yes!”

They hugged each other for a couple of minutes. Neither of them wanted to let go yet. But eventually they had to, time wouldn’t stop moving just for them. Reluctantly they both let go of one another.

Junmyeon raised his hands to cup Yixing’s cheek, and he planted a fervent kiss on Yixing’s lips. Yixing held Junmyeon’s waist and brought his boyfriend closer to him, so they could deepen their kiss. They tried to convey all their love, all their feelings, in that fleeting moment.

Then it was over. This time, it was Junmyeon who hugged Yixing.

“Bye Yixing. Thanks for everything. I’m gonna miss you, but we’ll see each other soon, right?” Junmyeon spoke.

Yixing closed his eyes and planted a kiss behind Junmyeon’s ear. “I’m gonna miss you too, Junmyeon. And of course, I’ll come see you as soon as I can,” he promised.

Junmyeon smiled, and then let go of Yixing. He stayed still.

Yixing walked away. He breathed in the fresh air for the last time. A crisp late summer breeze caressed his face. Yixing saw the glistening lake in the distance. He got in the car, fastened his seatbelt and looked in the rear-view mirror. Junmyeon was waving him goodbye, and smiling a bit sadly. Yixing half-smiled too. He started the car. Slowly he began driving away from the house. He observed the mirror until the car turned around, and he couldn’t see Junmyeon standing there anymore.

Summer was coming to an end, but the time they’ll be together was just beginning.

 

 

Author's Note

It was planned for this to be the ending chapter…but then I changed my mind x3 I’ll write an epilogue as the final chapter instead ^o^ And in case you haven’t, please go listen to Junmyeon’s song Curtain! It’s so beautiful, and his voice is amazing <3