Chapter V

Rise and Shine!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wrath got woken up in the worst possible way: with a deafening crash.

Loud arguing followed.

He screwed his eyes shut, pretending not to hear Envy's screech of "That's MINE, you bastard! How dare you take it!" or Greed's roar of "Bull, yours is in your bag! Take your freaking hands off my stuff!". Something smashed against the wall next to his bed and made him curl even further into his blanket. He could hear Pride curse from across the room.

"Want me to take care of the idiot duo?" Wrath asked, his eyes still firmly closed. It was way too early for this kind of bull.

"I'll go. I still need them in one piece," Pride grumbled, already on his feet. With his most stern leader-face on display, he opened the door, fully prepared to slap some sense into the two demons - but before he could even set a foot outside, all screaming suddenly ceased.

"What the hell is going on here?" a dangerously calm third voice asked.

Wrath's eyes abruptly shot open and he sat up, scrambling to get out of bed. Pride had turned pale at the unexpected turn of events.

The air suddenly became incredibly thick, making it hard to breathe. Crushing pressure was building around them. The infernal aura seeping into the room caused their skin to prickle and burn. If it grew any stronger, their ears would surely start to bleed.

Pride tried to step forward but his movements were sluggish, his knees almost buckling. He had to hold on to the hallway wall so he wouldn't topple over. "Stop it!" he ordered with as much force as he could muster.

Wrath heard him but the leader's usually charismatic voice sounded weak and unsteady. The small demon shook his head, once, twice, and tried again to get up from his bed - when the atmosphere suddenly returned to normal and he tumbled to the ground in a heap. His nose met the wooden floorboards but he was too unsettled to even curse at the pain. Picking himself up, he pushed through the door - only to find Pride half-conscious, held up by a very apologetic Sloth.

The usual drowsiness had vanished from the demon's face but his voice was as soft as always when he explained, "Sorry, I just got so irritated when they woke me up... Can you look after them for a moment? I'll carry Seungcheol back to your room."

 

Sloth returned while Wrath was checking Greed's breathing.

The smaller demon regarded him with a judging stare. "You're really no joke. And that wasn't even close to the amount of power you had back in hell. You're easily the strongest out of all of us - admit it: you're just too lazy to be the leader, aren't you?"

"Well, there's a reason why I'm called Sloth." The other demon shrugged, his eyes curving into crescents while he heaved Envy's body onto one of the beds. "Being the leader is way too much work. And I don't think Pride could accept it if anyone but Satan would try to order him around." He stopped talking for a moment to stretch his back with a groan. Envy wasn't exactly light. "Anyway, we should check on the humans too. They're probably knocked out as well."

Wrath nodded and placed a blanket over Greed, who was still lying on the floor. He couldn't be bothered to carry the much taller demon - and when he thought back to how they had woken him up earlier, he felt like they didn't deserve his care anyway. "I guess. Where's Soonyoung?"

"Oh, he's still in our room. It's odd though; he didn't even try to get up when the chaos started." Sloth frowned, obviously worried about his usually quite curious roommate.

"Maybe he didn't eat enough at dinner," Wrath mused. "Let's take a look after checking the humans."

 

After opening every single door in the hallway and finding all of the human tenants in deep slumber - although some of them looked like they had been about to get up before sleep had overwhelmed them again - they returned to Wrath's room first on Sloth's insistence. They both knew what was coming.

As soon as they entered, Sloth fell to his knees while Wrath stood watch next to him. "It's my fault. I couldn't control myself," Sloth stated, guilt painting his delicate features. "I'll accept my punishment."

Face twisted into a scowl, Pride forced himself to get up from his bed. He wasn't a morning person and his already bad mood had plummeted even more after the incident. The thought that another demon had easily overpowered him was enough to make rage course through his veins - but, unfortunately, his body was currently too weak to discipline Sloth. I took him visible effort just to remain standing.

Seeing the leader's plight, Wrath moved to his side to support him. As soon as Wrath's arm had wrapped around his waist, Pide's expression brightened. "Well, it happens to the best of us, doesn't it?" he said generously, completely out of character, before he pulled the smaller demon closer into his side, ignoring his annoyed glare. 

With Pride supported by Wrath, the three demons went to take a look at Soonyoung.

 

Gluttony was shaking under his blanket, his breathing laboured and his face red.

"What's wrong with him? Did he eat something weird?" Pride asked, completely clueless.

The others could only shrug and shake their heads. Talking to Gluttony didn't help either since his responses were jumbled and useless. They stood around his bed,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter