Chapter 5: A Boy And His Dragon

Drag'on Together (Love Is Its Own Magic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung hides a lot behind his smiles and off the cuff statements. He’s more thoughtful and a lot smarter than most people believe. Heartbreak and the fear of being alone are his constant companions. He knows he was blessed the day Jimin and his family found him, and every day he thanks God, the universe and all the good in the world because his life could have been so much worse. Guilt floods him every time he wishes for more, every time he thinks his life was meant for more. Finding Blue is like confirmation, as though the universe is saying he was right all along. 

Blue is playing at his feet, swatting at a ball of hay with his tiny claws. The sight is endearing and fills Taehyung with a sense of peace that he can’t explain. He’s not sure why, but he feels a connection to the dragon, it’s like there’s an invisible thread knitting them together like the front and back of a tunic. He looks up with worried eyes when the dragon makes a growling noise, and giggles uncontrollably when he see the animal on its back, trying to right himself but failing miserably. 

“How’d you end up like this, little fella, huh?” Taehyung asks in between his giggles.

Soft whimpers, whines, and gurgles escape the dragon’s lips as he struggles to right himself quite unsuccessfully. Taehyung chuckles at the young animal. He adores the dragon; there’s stubbornness in Blue’s eyes, a fire of determination to do it on his own, to win the fight against his current lack of dexterity. Warmth swirls in Taehyung’s heart. It’s a feeling he’s only ever associated with Jimin, and with Blue it’s the same but different. 

As he watches Blue continue his fight with balance, Taehyung’s mind drifts, and he begins to wonder about love and its many forms. He loves Blue despite the tiny creature currently failing at vertical-rightness. The dragon feels like family, as odd as it seems. Blue feels like a younger brother more than a playful pet, and despite the small amount of time he’s been in the company of the baby dragon, he loves him. Love always leads back to Jimin. He loves Jimin more than life, more than the world, more than himself. The slightly older boy makes him feel safe, happy, and wanted. He thinks of Jimin as a brother, just like he does Blue, but the feelings are different and Taehyung doesn’t understand why. 

When the dragon lets out a loud growl, Taehyung looks up just in time to see a tiny flare of fire suddenly arise and just as quickly disappear into Blue’s mouth. Reality hits him. Blue’s a dragon an honest to God, fire-breathing dragon. The whimpers and whines get louder as the apparently frustrated dragon weaves and sways, trying to get back on his feet. He manages to land on his clawed legs, but victory is short lived. The landing is not graceful and Taehyung watches with worried eyes as Blue rocks and totters, and it looks as though he’s about to once again lose the battle. 

Taehyung moves swiftly as Blue lurches forward, reaching out to steady the baby creature. When his hands land on Blue’s scaley skin a flash of blue light, akin to lightning explodes in the room sending both boy and dragon flying through the air. The flash transforms into a wave-like form and in a rather tumultuous motion it ripples through the small room and disappears beyond the walls, leaving both boy and dragon unconscious on the ground.

The moment Taehyung touches Blue several things happen simultaneously: A father is jolted awake from his deep slumber by an indescribable force. It’s a message, a signal, and it’s crystal clear: His child is alive… and now he knows where to find him. Unfortunately, the father is not the only one alerted, for the signal sent forth is like a star shooting across the sky, announcing to all who can sense it that the holiest of all magic has been birthed. Three others also feel the spark caused by the connection which happens when a dragon finds its rider. Two only know that a dragon has been born into the world, and one smiles a devious smile. She now knows where to find her stolen egg.

  

 

֎֎֎

 

Yoongi’s not a man of action, not anymore at least. Those days are long behind him. He’s broken, hurt, and the pain lingers and stings like a cut that never heals. He’s rocked, shaken from his sleep when a lightning-like jolt rips through his being, and a trickle of hope follows the path of the strike.

A dragon. A dragon has been born and has found it’s rider.

Before Yoongi can properly process what’s happening, the door of his home is suddenly flung open. When the chilly air enters his house he stares in confusion; he’s certain latched it. When Namjoon comes barrelling through the opening, out of breath and red, mostly likely from running, Yoongi knows it was magic and not forgetfulness that opened the door. 

“Did you feel it too?” the light brown-haired wizard asks, his breath coming out in loud puffs.

Yoongi cringes because Namjoon’s voice is too loud, too deep, and just too ing much. 

“You know the door is there for a reason, right?” Yoongi asks. 

“Yup, for me to bar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter