Chapter 9: There's Always Room

Drag'on Together (Love Is Its Own Magic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What exactly are you doing right now?”

Yoongi wonders if he and Taehyung are speaking the same language. The boy somehow managing to do the exact opposite of everything he’s been instructed so far.

“Uhm, you said to, uhm…what did you say to do again?” Taehyung’s eyes are wide as his tongue juts out, nervously his lips.

“Forget it. Let’s make it simple.” Yoongi tries to keep the exasperation out of his voice.

Taehyung’s, for reasons that Yoongi does not know, hanging from the side of the dragon, about to fall to the ground. He walks over to the younger man, helping him down.

“Thanks, hyung,” the boy says, and Yoongi wonders how can someone so adorable make him want to strangle him.

“Ask Blue if I can mount him,” he commands Taehyung.

“Why can’t you just get on?” Taehyung seems curious.

“Because of the bond the only rider connected to Blue is you. Another rider can only ride with the dragon’s permission. In fact without the dragon’s permission others shouldn’t touch him. ” Yoongi explains.

“What happens if you don’t get permission?”

Yoongi sighs. He knows he won’t get Taehyung to do what he wants unless the boy knows the answer. He’s about to explain when he decides a live demonstration will be the best way to cure the boy’s curiosity.

“Yoongi, whatever you’re thinking right now, is a bad, bad idea,” Namjoon warns from behind him.

The wizard is absolutely correct. It’s not a good idea, but Yoongi’s not known for his wisdom.

“One part brave, three parts fool, Joon,” Yoongi says as he grabs that the soft flesh of Blue’s neck, trying to get astride the animal.

However, instead of finding himself atop the dragon Yoongi is flung into the air a good fifty feet, and holy , landing’s gonna hurt. Yoongi closes his eyes, preparing for his collision with the ground. He opens them again when nothing happens. He looks down to see Namjoon with arms outstretched in his direction. The wizard has him suspended in the air and is guiding him safely back to the earth below.

“How’d you do that?” Yoongi asks.

Namjoon shrugs, “Not sure myself to be honest.” The wizard turns to stare at the two boys and the dragon, “Not sure whose power I absorbed.”

“It doesn’t matter. Thanks for the soft landing.” Yoongi pats the man on the back as he walks past him back to the trio standing in the field ahead with mouths hanging open in apparent shock.

“He said yes,” Taehyung blurts out immediately upon his return, and Yoongi can’t help laughing.

“Okay, now watch. The scales are rough and hard to grab hold of. A dragon’s softest regions are its neck and stomach areas. So to mount Blue simply take hold of the back of his neck like so, then let him guide you up,” Yoongi says as Blue easily swings him in the air. “Then simply sling your leg over like so, and voila, you’re atop your dragon to ride.”

“Woah,” Taehyung says, eyes widening in amazement.

“Okay. Now you try,” Yoongi says, hopping off Blue.

“Uhm, okay.”

Taehyung grabs hold of the animal's neck, and Blue lifts him up. Yoongi leans his head forward in anticipation, it seems as though Taehyung’s going to achieve his goal this time, but when the boy swings his leg too hard and ends up falling off the other side of the dragon, Yoongi can only shake his head.

To Taehyung’s credit, he gets right back up and tries again, and this time when Blue pulls him up the boy lands perfectly astride the dragon. Yoongi lets out a whoop of excitement.

“Well done!” He pats Taehyung on the back as he climbs down. “Okay, again.”

When he's satisfied that Taehyung has mastered the art of mounting, he decides it’s time to move on to the most important part of the dragon/rider relationship.

“Okay, now let’s learn to ride.”

“Ride? As in, in the air?” Taehyung asks, pointing upward.

“Yup,” Yoongi says with a clap. “Okay, now jump on.”

When Taehyung hesitates, Yoongi walks over to the boy.

“This is your destiny Taehyung, Blue chose you. I know it’s scary, but you can do this. You will be an amazing rider. Now get on,” he gently urges the boy.

Taehyung takes a deep breath then gets atop the dragon.

“Wait, come back down. I have an idea.” Yoongi walks over to his horse removing the saddle. He loosens the straps as far as he can so it will fit around the dragon’s circumference. “Now get on.”

Taehyung makes it onto to the dragon in record time.

“How’s it feel?” Yoongi asks.

“Perfect,” Taehyung replies, a smile on his face.

“Okay, that’s good. Now the trick to riding is communication between dragon and rider. When you’re in flight, trust in your dragon is key. Listen to Blue and do what he says. Once your bond grows you’ll know what to do instinctively, but for now, just listen to each other.”

Taehyung nods and ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter