Chapter 10: A Prince, A son, A Dragon

Drag'on Together (Love Is Its Own Magic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A King and his army arrive at the mountaintop shortly after the dragon and his companion leave. Upon seeing the empty space, Jin’s heart drops“We’ll find him,” Hoseok says beside him.

“We’ll find him,” Hoseok says beside him.

Turning to face the man, he wants to cry. He wants to be able to release all these pent up feelings he’s been pushing down this entire trip and for the last twenty years, but his men are present. They have left their families and their lives to follow him, to help him, so for them he remains strong.

“I know,” he says, plastering a weak smile on his face. “I sense his presence here. This is a place he frequents.”

“It’s going to be dark soon.” Hoseok alights from his horse. “Let’s camp here for the night. Maybe we’ll get lucky, and he’ll show up in the morning.”

Seokjin nods and does as the captain says, getting down from his own horse. He walks the animal to a nearby tree and ties him to the bark, then sits resting his back against the tree trunk.

Hoseok sits next to him moments later, their legs touching he’s so close, and he knows it’s the man’s way of comforting him. Jin, since childhood, has responded best to physical touch when stressed.

“We’ll find him. I promise.” The man’s voice is firm and steady, and Jin believes him.

He nods, and fights the urge to rest his head on Hoseok’s shoulder.

“Rest. I’ll stay right here, okay? Just rest.” Hoseok doesn’t look at him.

Jin doesn’t answer, doesn’t reply, he simply closes his eyes and does what Hoseok says.

 

 

֎֎֎

“How do dragons and riders bond exactly,” Taehyung asks.

“I’m not really sure, to be honest. I just think of it as magic.” Yoongi looks at Blue and smiles, “They’re truly magnificent creatures, caring, giving, selfless, and the fact that they choose to bond with us at all, well, it’s just magical.” Yoongi tries but really can’t find a better word.

“Hyung,” Taehyung starts slowly, and Yoongi knows what’s coming. He’s been waiting for the boy to ask, but he’s not sure he’s ready to answer. “How did your dragon die?”

The gulp of air he takes at the question gets stuck in his throat, and he swallows it down to keep himself from choking. The boy’s eyes are earnest, nervous, and curious. Yoongi takes a deep breath and clears his throat.

Yoongi takes a deep breath and clears his throat.

“The night the dark queen waged war on dragons and riders was a surprise. We, the riders, as a clan had become complacent, trusting in our own strength, believing ourselves to be gods among men. The dark queen discovered our one weakness and masterfully used it against us.” Yoongi can feel the memory as though it were happening right now, the screams as dragon riders fell without a chance to fight.

“Weakness?” Taehyung’s eyebrows raise quizzically.

Yoongi sighs, “A rider, Taehyung, can live on if his dragon dies. But if a rider dies..” Yoongi can’t finish. The words won’t come out. It hurts too much to say it.

“So does his dragon,” Namjoon finishes the sentence for him.

“What!” Taehyung jumps to his feet. “That can’t be right… Why? Why…I don’t…”

Yoongi understands Taehyung’s reaction, understands how just the thought of his dragon dying because of him has the younger man reeling.

“The queen went after the riders as we sat in a pub drinking and making merry, not being on guard as we’d been taught. Holli spoke to me, telling me that something was wrong, telling me to warn the others, but, but… I ignored her, blocked her out and…” He can’t finish.

The tears burn as they roll down his cheeks, his heart like lit dynamite in his chest about to explode. He remembers the smoke, the blackness, the feeling of the dirty tar filling his lungs after the queen’s men had set the building aflame, but not before barricading them in. The cries of his fellow riders stalk his dreams. A nightmare, a reminder that he’d failed them.

“I’m not sure even now how Holli got me out of there, but she did somehow. But she was severely wounded, blood dripping from her body to the point that her scales were almost red, so much blood… and I could’ve prevented it. If I’d just listened, just done what she said.” The tears have turned into full blown crying.

Stuttered sobs rock Yoongi’s body, he feels the ache, the loss everywhere, like a thick smog surrounding his entire world. He can’t stop crying nor does he want to, it’s the first time he’s allowed himself to grieve, to realize and accept his loss. Yoongi feels six arms wrap around him, as three mouths whisper words of comfort, reminding him this was his chance for redemption.

He shifts in their arms and the three men loosen their grip on him. He rubs his eyes, clearing his teary vision so he can look at Taehyung.

“Don’t take your dragon for gran

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter