Chapter 14: All Good Things, Must Come To And End

Drag'on Together (Love Is Its Own Magic)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Taehyung, stop,” Jungkook says in between laughter.

“No, this is payback you little brat.” Taehyung’s voice mirrors Jungkook’s mirth.

“Jimin hyung, help,” the younger man begs.

“No can do Kookie, this war is between you and your cousin. Plus, he’s pretty scary,” Jimin says teasingly “like a cute attack kitten.”

“Hey! I’m not cute, I’m manly and authoritative, and I’ve been wronged,” Taehyung says from his position above Jungkook.

“Yup, manly and authoritative, that’s what I meant.” Jimin is laughing hard.

The boys’ collective laughter fills the palace walls, filtering through each room and leaving a distinct aroma, like the first day of Spring, like the first bloom of a bud, like the first fall of snow. It’s refreshing and glorious. New life breathes through the walls, mending hearts and minds alike. The drab grayscale that once filled the space has been replaced by vibrant, brilliant colors burning brightly from pillar to post.

“It’s time for dinner, Your Highnesses,” the maid interrupts them.

“Food!” Taehyung jumps off Jungkook in seconds, running past the woman who just chuckles (already accustomed to the young man’s antics).

“Wish I’d known that was all it took to get him off me,” Jungkook says to Jimin as they walk out the room.

They make it to the dining hall moments after Taehyung, finding the boy already seated. Chatter, laughter, and joy fill room along with the scent of food. The King and Queen watch the interaction with light hearts. Their son is home; their family is whole.

“Well, isn’t this a lovely picture.” Moyrah’s voice breaks through their peace like an arrow, and it’s a bullseye.

“Moyrah, no.” Helena stands to her feet. “This war is ours, yours and mine. Let’s end this once and for all.”

The queen makes a move toward her sister, but her path is blocked by Yoongi and Hoseok who act as a barricade between the family and the woman with the dark fire burning in her eyes.

“Do you honestly believe you can protect them from me?” Her gaze settles on the two men.

Her smile is cold, holding no warmth at all, and Jungkook shivers as a sudden chill runs through him. He watches as the woman flicks her hands and sends the two men flying across the room in different directions. He reaches out on instinct, grabbing hold of Taehyung’s hand.

“Stay close, do you hear me?” he says as Taehyung’s sadness mixed with fear fills his gut.

The boy doesn’t answer, only stares at the woman.

She looks like me, doesn’t she Kookie?

Taehyung, don’t you dare do anything stupid, do you understand?

One part brave three parts fool isn’t that the motto?

Taehyung!

Jungkook wants to scream, wants to beg Jimin to make Taehyung stop, but he doesn’t want to alert the woman who’s holding the entire room hostage. He tightens his grasp, intertwining their fingers and bringing his other hand to hold Taehyung’s arm, but his determination to keep Taehyung safe is not nearly as strong as Taehyung’s determination to end the war because the boy effortlessly slips out of his grasp.

“Taehyung, no!” he yells as the boy walks toward the woman.

She raises her hand, and Taehyung’s in the air hovering, and Jungkook watches in horror knowing what’s about to happen.

“No! Don’t hurt him, Moyrah, he’s your son.” Helena’s words have the woman momentarily stunned “He’s your son.”

 

֎֎֎

Taehyung has imagined this moment a thousand times before, the moment he meets his mother, and it’s nothing like what he pictured. Maybe it’s his tendency to see the good in things, maybe it’s his love of puppies and butterflies and fluffy things, maybe it’s because he’s more a dreamer than a realist, but the last thing he ever thought would happen is that the woman would instantly try to kill him.

“No! Don’t hurt him, Moyrah, he’s your son.”

When he’s lowered to the ground safe and sound, the hope that he was about to throw out returns.

“Mom.” The word feels weird, like a different language rolling off his tongue.

“Stay back.” The woman warns, and Taehyung can feel the battle raging in her as though it were his own.

“I can’t stay back. I won’t let you hurt them.” Taehyung’s voice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter