Chapter 9

Sing Me To Sleep

The bell rang and Pat, expecting it to be Chanyeol, went to see Gaein open the door. It wasn't him, a very pretty, young woman stepped in instead.

"Gaein! Haven't seen you for so long. I brought some ground coffee, quick fetch me a cup.......no milk, please. I need something to settle my nerves."- she said, hanging her coat on the stand and bustling over to the living room.
Pat just stood there, not knowing whether she should go meet the new lady or not. The bell rang again and since she was close to the door, she opened it. This time it was chanyeol.
"hi."- he said. She smiled and wished him back. 

"chanyeol....is that you?"- the lady called from the living room.
"Noona?"- he went to the living room, leaving Pat alone again.

Not having anything else to do, she went back to her room and started reading her own diary entries. She was ashamed of herself for writing such depressing entries. She hated pity and feeling sorry for oneself but unconsciously she had tried to find solace in that little, black notebook of hers.

Someone knocked at the door. She closed her diary and opened the door. Chanyeol was standing with a big grin on his face. 
"what are you doing in there all alone? Come on....we will have breakfast together. Apparently someone wants to see you real bad."- he said and taking her hand, led her to the dining room.

The pretty lady had already occupied one of the chairs and was reading the newspaper while sipping her coffee. She looked up as Pat entered the room. 

She just stared at Pat not saying anything. Chanyeol broke the silence at last- "this is Pat...the human Suho told you about."
"oh. No offense but I am quite disappointed. You are nothing like I imagined." she said, paying no attention to her.
"Yoora!"- Chanyeol objected.
"now,now you don't have to take that tone with me, Park Chanyeol. I can't believe you are letting a human stay in this house..... You know how people think....some of my colleagues have already dared to ask me why you guys are keeping a slave. I can't go around correcting everyone's misconception. "- she said looking offended.

It was really awkward for Pat and she had no idea what to say to that. Chanyeol did his part of course, already feeling guilty for letting her face the consequences of his sister's bad mood. 
"noona! You know that it is the duty of every responsible pack to look after the people who need help and shelter."
"you and your werewolf rules....I am telling you one day they are going to get all of you killed."- Park Yoora said.
"human, why haven't you eaten yet? Do you want my brother to take the blame for your death? You are as pale as a ghost. I don't want anyone to die under this roof."- she said, addressing Pat.
"come sit down....you are awfully slow..come on...Gaein ah! Bring this sickling some food."- Yoora called out.
Pat sat down on the farthest chair from her and stole a glance at Chanyeol.  He was grinning and when he met her gaze, he gave a reassuring nod.
Chanyeol took the chair beside his sister and took the plate of crossiants from her, earning a glare from yoora.
"you are stress eating....not good for your health."- he said and winked. Yoora shook her head and asked Pat-"what's your name girl?"
"Patricia."
"what's your last name?"
"Ivanov"
"Russian? "
"yes."
"can't you speak whole sentences?"
Pat gulped.  Somewhere in the background,she could hear Chanyeol chuckle.
"yes...I can speak...... Whole sentences."
"by the way...this is Park Yoora,  my blood sister. She is a controller so yeah...be a bit careful around her."- Chanyeol said with a mouth full of food. 
"who's a controller? "-Pat asked.
"heard you grew up in one of the villages. Don't they train you about the levels of an army? "- Yoora asked.
"I wasn't much of a booklover student. Combat interested me more."-Pat answered which was part true.
"yeah...figured"-Yoora said giving her a judging look.
"so basically controllers are the people who control the guardfaeries in a lightheist army. It's a bit boring since they don't really have to compel the guardfaeries... Just give them the orders and they follow it blindly. "- Chanyeol said.
"it's not boring and not as easy as it sounds. It's hard to control the ones who completely lose it."-Yoora said defending her job.
Pat couldn't digest any of that.....everything they said was just stuck in , refusing to go down. The mention of the guardfaeries just made her remember the itching wound she was trying to hide so desperately.
"hey...what's wrong?"- Chanyeol asked noticing Pat's worried look. 
The shadow passed from her face and she regained composure.
"oh...it's nothing....I am just not used to milk yet....it's been months since I have had it."-she lied.Yoora didn't fail to notice the quiver in her voice when she said that but she let it go for the moment.

"how bad is the situation? -Chanyeol asked his sister.
"bad enough to make the guardians declare emergency..... Don't act so naiive Chanyeol..... You know we have to reopen our hideout in Busan. "- Yoora replied. 
Chanyeol knew well enough how close the war was to south Korea but he just chose not to believe it and it wasn't safe for him or his family to go to Busan at the moment anyway...not after the little fight he had with Kris's men the other day that left him injured and helpless in the middle of the night.
"we have already guests booked in for two weeks....we can't just leave them. They look upto us for safe haven before they can find a permanent shelter."- Chanyeol said.
"it will be too late by then, Yeol. "-Yoora said, trying to sway him from his opinion. She just wanted them all to be close to her so that she could check on them time to time. Being transferred to Busan made it difficult for her to meet  Suho's pack, indirectly her brother.  And now that the last attack was made in China, there was every possible chance for the next one to be in Korea.
"Hey don't look so worried. We are not babies anymore. You are talking about the most powerful werewolf pack for God's sake. We don't die easily. "-Chanyeol said, with a goofy grin plastered on his face. Yoora ruffled his hair and assured herself that it was only for two weeks and then they would come to Busan where it was safer.
"what did you learn from that whole conversation,  Patricia?"-she asked.
Pat looked confused."huh?....oh right....umm...that you guys are moving away?"
"yeah and you are moving with us too."-Yoora said.

'thank god'-Pat said in her mind, relieved to know that they would let her stay. Both Chanyeol and Yoora chuckled  and that's when Pat realised that she had said her thoughts aloud. She looked down, embarrassed. 
"well if you are going to stay...you better make yourself useful. Can you write? "-Yoora asked.

"yes of course. "-Pat said, ready at once to do her part.
"well then we killed our writer ...and we need a new one."-Chanyeol said.
"just kidding... She died of an illness."-he said noticing the change in Pat's expression. 
"Yeol!! That's not something to joke about.  So...will you do the job?"- she asked Pat.
"yes but what exactly do I have to do?"
" write letters mostly..... Not for me...cuz you won't see me in these two weeks but sure when you come to Busan. You will write letters and other documents.. Basically you will do all the work concerning a pen and a paper."-Yoora said.
"that's great. Thanks for giving me a work. I hate to be idle."
"whatever. Wait you need proper clothes....you can't go around wearing Kyungsoo's dresses just because they suit your build."-Yoora said, inspecting her clothes. Pat shrugged. She had to admit that kyungsoo, the one with the heart-shaped lips, was really nice......he lent her his clothes the very first day and she gladly accepted them.  

They finished their breakfast and Chanyeol and Yoora invited Pat for a stroll in the woods later that evening.

 Before going out she asked Chanyeol- "aren't the others coming back today?"

"well ....actually we are going to receive them."-he answered.

Pat had no idea what he was talking about and so she stared at him with a blank look.

"teleportation? Ring a bell?...do you really think we walk to places ? Kai can open portals so....it's not a big deal for us."

"i have never seen a portal."

" but they teach them to the kids in the villages....that's the whole point of living in one."-Yoora said.

"oh...right....it wasn't my subject....teleportation bores me...."- Pat laughed it away though she noticed Yoora giving her a weird look.

They set out of the house with a small basket full of snacks and drinks just in case it was a long wait. The three walked through the woods, the grass swaying with the breeze and the evening sun illuminating the sky in an orange hue.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

HI PEOPLE...I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF MY STORY BUT I AM REALLY REALLY CURIOUS TO KNOW....SO WHY DONT YOU LEAVE SOME COMMENTS DOWN BELOW ...I LOVE TO READ STUFFS(INCLUDING COMMENTS)....
AND HAVE YOU GUYS READ 'THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS'? IF YOU HAVE THEN MY STORY MIGHT SOUND A TAD BIT INTERESTING SO DO READ THAT BOOK  OR WATCH THE MOVIE.....ITS TOTALLY OKAY IF YOU DON'T. BYEE......
ALL HAIL EXO FANS!