Chapter 7

Piece by piece

It had been a rough few weeks for Jimin’s loved ones.

The test results were in, Gyuri, Daehyun, and Yoongi stood as still as possible as the doctor hand the envelope to the NISI Director. For such a thin sheet of paper, it felt heavy in the man’s clammy hand.

“A copy of the results has been sent to your office to help with the case,” the doctor offered a sad smile to Yoongi. “Min Jimin is the missing Park boy.”

Daehyun ripped open the sealed envelope and viewed the results. Positive. Jimin was his son. He has a son with Gyuri, the woman he still in love with. A small piece of him and a small piece of her created the boy that laid in a hospital bed not that far from them.

“No,” denied Yoongi. That was a lie. His parents wouldn’t keep a secret like that from them. “You’re lying!!! My mom would have told us he was adopted. No,” he shook his head. He felt it – the onset of an anxiety attack. His vision began to swim. The voices of those around him became muffled. The tingly sensation began at the tips of his fingers and toes and was slowly spreading throughout his body. He couldn’t breathe.

Neither Gyuri nor Daehyun knew what was going on, let alone know what to do. Fortunately, the doctor recognized what was going on and was able to help the younger through it. 

**

Hoseok hadn’t been home since the attack. His friends had taken turns bringing him and Yoongi clothes so they could shower. It felt so weird being home without Jimin's contagious laughter and sweet smile. He had expected to arrive home to an empty apartment but once he turned the knob and opened the door, the living room light and television were on. For a fact, he knows Yoongi turned them off after they left. He wouldn’t leave without turning everything off to avoid a fire.

He turned to look at both Rose and Jisoo who had volunteered to help him clean his messy apartment. Jimin is still asleep but he doesn’t want the younger to come home to their apartment in such a state.

They quietly toed off their shoes as they entered the apartment. Jisoo stood in front of Rose to protect her from the intruder. She had the back of Hoseok’s coat in a tight grip.

“We should call the cops,” hissed Rose, she was pressed against her friend, mimicking Jisoo.

“We can handle if it’s one guy,” hushed Hoseok, slowly walking farther into his apartment.

“I already have one friend in the hospital, I don’t need another,” was her response as she pushed him over her shorter friend’s shoulder.

“Roseanne!” he cried out, catching himself against the wall with a loud thud, announcing them to whoever had broken into his apartment.

“Hobi, is that you?” called out a soft female voice.

That very voice halts the two girls behind him. He would recognize that voice anywhere but the growl that escaped Jisoo’s lips was frightening. His eyes grew wide as he slowly turned around but it was too late. The top of her head barely reached his shoulders but like those scary tiny dogs, she attacked. She latched her hand to the back of his neck in a threatening manner.

“You’re cheating on Jimin?” she growled, her eyes wide with rage. If she looked this crazy he can picture how fatal Rose looks without even glancing her direction.

Hobi?!?!”

! That was Rose. My life is over. I’m sorry!!!!!!!!

“Oh, are these your friends from school?”

Rose narrowed her eyes at the female with long-silky black hair, fair skin, and large round eyes that walked into view. “Who are you?” she snarled. Mentally, she rolled up the sleeve to her shirt, ready to fight whoever tried getting between her best friend and his boyfriend.

“Hi, I’m Dawon. Hoseok’s older sister. It’s nice to meet you,” she smiled so brightly, it almost blinded the younger girls.

“Sister?!?!” they called out at the same time.

“You never told us you had a sister,” accused the ginger as she crossed her arms over her chest in annoyance. Jisso released her deadly hold on the elder.

“Yes, my sister and I don’t see why I have to tell you anything,” he ran to hide behind the other. He gave them an offended look. She just laughed, that traitor!!!!

“Go wash up. Mom went to the store to buy some more vegetable for the get well stew she’s making for Jimin tonight,” Dawon rolled her eyes at her brother before patting his head. She turned to leave towards the kitchen but the lack of response stopped her in her tracks.

Her words felt like frozen water was spilled on him. He had spoken to his mother at the beginning of the week for a brief moment but neglected on telling her everything – about the baby, the attack. For all his family knew, Jimin was his boyfriend and wasn’t feeling well at the moment.

“Um,” he gulped, trying to dislodge the lump in his throat. He tried willing the tears away but it didn’t work.

“Hoseok,” she didn’t like the look on his face. She glanced to the girls behind her baby brother and was greeted with identical mournful expressions. “What’s wrong?”

“It, ah, Jimin. He’s in a come-like state right now,” he whispered.

The girls grabbed their stuff and left, leaving Hoseok with his sister as they waited for their mother to get back.

**

Taehyung enjoyed the moments he was able to spend with his older brother. But he was hardly home because of his job. Ms. Kim said once that the younger was comfortable he would be able to live with his brother. But it seemed like time was going by extra slow.

He was able to get to know Chenyeol a bit, though. He was a music teacher at the high school in their neighborhood. He loved his job and was glad of where he was in life.

“So, you’ve known my brother since you were kids?” he asked over a mouth full of fluffy pancakes.

“Yeah, after your mom ‘died’ his dad became an alcoholic. So, what my dad did, since they were best friends, my parents took him in until we were able to get his dad the proper help,” he shrugged and offered a sad smile.

“What was he like? Was he the “mom” friend? He seems like a “mom” friend to me,” added Taehyung, stuffing more food into his mouth.

“You’re a lot like him, actually,” smiled Chenyeol as he brought his coffee mug to his lips. “You’re a lot taller than he was at your age and your voice is a lot deeper. The way you act, your smile. I sometime confuse you for him when I wake up on the days you stay over.” He felt so comfortable around the younger he forgot to school his expression and tone around him.

“Are you two in a relationship?”

The elder chocks on his hot coffee.

“I’m totally cool with that. Jimin and Hope-hyung live together and expecting a baby,” Taehyung shrugs.

“Oh, would you look at the time, I have to go to work and get things ready for class. Bye…” Chenyeol scurries out the kitchen, ruffling Taehyung’s newly dyed lavender hair as he leaves.

The younger just giggled to himself. They were so cute. But, no more. He was going to make it his mission they don’t hide around him anymore. He’s not one to judge, anyway.

**

“Yoongi-ah,” whispered Gyuri as she knelt in front of the younger. She was excited and relieved that Jimin was her son but her happiness didn’t compare to what Yoongi was going through. He was just told that the only family he had let wasn’t even a blood relative.

The younger didn’t budge, he just sat there staring at his hands.

She took his hand in hers. “Yoongi-ah,” this time he looked up at her. It broke her heart to see how broken he was.

“What,” his voice so small and weak.

“Jimin is your brother. It doesn’t matter what that paper says,” she took a risk and kissed the palms of his hands, just like she used to do to her daughter when she was like this.

Yoongi went to pull his hands away but she tightened her grip. A quiet sob escaped his lips. Cold, hard-cored rapper? Not when it came to the people he loved.

“That paper says I’m Jimin’s mother by blood but that is all.” Those words broke her heart. “He was ripped from my hand when he was born and I hate my father for doing that to me, to Jimin, to Rosanne, to you. But I don’t have the bond you have with him. I can only be his mother if he allows me too. But you? To him you are his brother, his parent. You raised him into the man he is today. You showed him the love and support his father, his sister, and I weren’t allowed too. You are his family, so, please, I beg you, always, always be there for him. Always be the older brother he loves and cherishes. Promise me you will not stop loving him because of what that paper says,” tears rolled down her checks as she kissed the younger’ hands again. It pained her to admit, but if Yoongi told her to leave, she would. She wouldn’t fight it. She wouldn’t do to her son the same thing her father did to her. She wouldn’t take Jimin away from the only family he knows.

She would be content with knowing that her baby is alive and well and that her children will at least be in each other’s live – even just as friends.

The room was silent except for the beeping of the heart monitors attached to Jimin.

‘Ugh, that sound is getting annoying!!!! Turn it off!!!!!’

“Please,” her voice equally as soft – her voice and the beeping monitors covered up the tiny whimper.

Yoongi nodes. His messy blonde locks bouncing on top of his head. “Okay,” he agreed and bit his bottom lip. His mind was racing. She wasn’t going to take him away!!! He wouldn’t let her do it. He would fight tooth and nail to keep his brother. Even if it killed him.

“Thank you,” she sobs and takes him in her arms. It kills her, but she knows it’s for the best. She’ll have to walk away willingly this time. She can’t destroy this family. She released him so she could stand. “Thank you, Yoongi-ah,” she kissed his forehead. She was on her way out when he reached out for her arm.

“Stay,” he mumbles. He knows how to take things rationally, even though he anxiety take hold sometimes. But, if what she said is true, he can’t keep her way from Jimin, either.

‘Hyung, stop shouting’

“What?”

‘Who’s he talkin’, too?’

“I said, stay,” he clears his throat. “He’s your son, too. And if what you say is true, you have every right to be in his life, as I do,” he locks eyes with her.

Wha-’

His eyes wouldn’t open. Why won’t they open? He felt the muscles in his face contract, feeling a bit sore from lack of movement. He was able to move his eyes but his eyelids felt cemented shut. Slowly, they opened and the first thing he saw was a while ceiling.

That smell, he knows it. It was a smell that clung to him and Yoongi when they lived in the hospital until they were able to be place either in a home or orphanage. He hates that smell. Medicine, deceases, death, and chemicals.

He blinked his eyes but it was too late. Painful memories began to surface.

Flashback   

“I spy, um, something big and gray,” giggled the 10-year-old as he looked out the window.

The sky was gray and sad, but the first snow hadn’t hit yet. His mother hated taking them out in such horrible weather since Yoongi would get sick easily but agreed to take a stroll along the Hans River to reenact her first date with her husband since her baby loved listening to love stories.

“They sky,” tsked Yoongi, rolling his dark eyes. He leant over to ruffle his little brother’s ginger hair. Jimin always chooses the sky when they play ‘I Spy’.

“No, silly hyungie,” the younger covered his mouth as he laughed. “That,” he pointed at pick up that was heading their way. Before his innocent mind could grasp what was going on he felt the back of his head collide with the window behind him.  His vision fogged over and his world began to swim.

Yoongi, being so thin and underweight for his age group, was almost thrown from the rolling vehicle – falling unconscious against Jimin.

“H-hyun-g,” groaned the child, trying to move his arm to shake his brother, but he couldn’t. He couldn’t feel it and that’s what scared him. He couldn’t feel anything besides the throbbing pain in his head. “Eomma,” he whimpered but received no response. He tried moving his head but couldn’t. He slowly moved his eyes and that’s when he saw her – eyes open and void of any warmth - of love, her body twisted in a painful way and face bloodied and covered in glass. “Eomma!!!!!!! Eomma!!!!” He shouted his voice raw.

“There’s kids!!!!” he heard a voice shout but the pain was unimaginable. His world went black.

End of flashback

As he and Jimin’s birth mother talked, Jimin’s heart monitor went crazy.

“Eom-ma!!” whimpered his brother, his voice cracking due to lack of use.

Yoongi turned around and saw his brother convulsing in pain. Such reaction frightened him. He had never reacted like this before.

“Minnie, I’m here. Hyung is here,” he quickly got to his brother’s side and took him in his arms. “Hyung is here,” he whispered against his brother’s temple, lips against his cold skin.

Jimin’s hand came up to grip his shirt and that when Yoongi noticed the younger had yanked out his IV.

“I’m here,” he silently cried with his brother. If Jimin was able to rip out the IV as he panicked, he must have opened his stiches too.

Medical staff swarmed the room thinking the worst – Daehyun and Hoseok rushing in after them.

“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when days are gray,” he gruff voice was nowhere near as soothing as their mother’s but it helped Jimin relax. He kept humming the soft tune, gently rocking the boy back and forth. Jimin’s tired body went limp in his arms due to the medicine still in his system.

He laid the boy back down, and sure enough, his medical gown had a growing blood stain in his chest.

 

It was hours before they could see Jimin again. After some many hours of testing to make sure Jimin hadn’t completely opened his wound. They weren’t allowed to crowed the room – only family. Like that would stop them.

Yoongi slowly pushed open the door to Jimin’s room and was greeted by the younger with a small smiled.

“Hey, Minnie,” he greeted as he entered. “How you feeling?” he tried to pace his steps but he wanted to be at his brother’s side. He took the youngers hand in his.

“Like ,” snorted the younger, whimpering in pain. “What happened?” he gripped his brother’s hand.

“Long story, but don’t worry about it yet. All you have to worry about is getting better and making sure my niece or nephew is safe, okay?” smiled Yoongi. He wanted to hold his brother but was afraid to hurt him more. So, what he did was place a loving kiss on the boys forehead like their mother used to do.

“Okay,” He agreed. “Where’ Hoseok?” he asked closing his eyes for a bit.

“Oh, I don’t know,” he motioned towards the door and Jimin smiled at what he saw.

His boyfriend stood there in a large puppy onesie, holding a large plush teddy and flowers in his hands. His washed out pink hair exposed his forehead, showing off the handsome features Jimin fell in love with.

“Hi,” smiled the younger.

“Hey,” greeted Hoseok as he walked towards the bed. He walked around to the other side, avoiding any wires that were on the floor and or hanging off the bed. He kissed the youngers chapped lips. “I love you,” he took Jimin’s hand in his after placing the flowers on the end table.

“I love you, too,”

“How are you feeling?” Jimin moved over a bit so he could share with the elder.

“Better now that you’re here,” he answered earning a cry of protest from his brother. “You, too, hyung. I need my little family together.” He moves the hand that has holding his boyfriend’s hand towards bump. “God, they’ve grown so much,” he feels his boyfriend rub gentle circles around his belly.

“You’re almost 16 weeks…”

The three of them start talking about how the pregnancy is progressing. They are slowly letting Jimin know everything that happened while he was asleep. All, that is, except the part that his birth family is waiting on the other side of the door, waiting to formally meet him.

Daehyun pulled Gyuri against his chest, seeing their son is finally awake. They can’t wait to meet him. So many scenarios play out in their heads. Some the same and some different.