Episode 4

The WindowShopper

Episode 4

 

It was already evening and Onew still remained by Jessica’s side. The hospital was quieter than expected and most of the staff had already headed home. Onew sat on a small chair beside Jessica’s bed. He kept trying to keep his head steady yet he was drowsy from the busy day he had. The Palace went crazy after Jessica passed out in the store and media was all over it. Tiffany and Onew had to answer many questions. Onew’s head was spinning. After surviving an onslaught of questions, Tiffany wanted Onew to report to her office first thing tomorrow morning because Jae Joong would be there.

 

“I wonder if this will cost my job…”

 

Suddenly, there was tapping at the door. Onew fell back on his chair.

 

“Oh geez!”

 

He got up quickly and answered it. It was Taemin.

 

“Taemin? What are you doing here?”

 

“Sulli’s friend, Luna, told me you were here. It’s getting late…”

 

“Yeah, I know…”

 

Taemin took a peek over Onew’s shoulder and saw Jessica quietly asleep.

 

“Hyung…she’s beautiful…what happened?”

 

“She fainted in the store. I chose to stay here and watch over here since she has no family whatsoever…”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“It was strange…she had no family…no friends…no address…it’s like she doesn’t exist…”

 

Onew let Taemin enter the room and stood before Jessica.

 

“So…Hyung…how DO you know her?”

 

“I met her in the store then we ran into each other again near my place. It’s strange but I feel like I know her…”

 

“Come on, Hyung…”

 

“I’m not lying! It’s like we met somewhere else…kind of like…déjà vu, you know?”

 

“How romantic, Hyung. Still, you should come home now and get some rest.”

 

Onew turned to look at Jessica. Jessica was sound asleep. Onew admired her beauty as she slept.

 

“Ok then, I’ll meet you outside.”

 

“Ok then, Hyung.”

 

Taemin exited the room, leaving Onew with Jessica. Onew reached down and touched Jessica’s soft hand. It was almost like a princess’s hand.

 

“I hope you get well soon, Jessica.”

 

Onew made a small smile, sighed, and then exited the room as well.

 

 

 

*Jessica’s Dream*

 

Jessica sat on the edge of the stage beside Seohyun. Even though the concert hall was felt empty, it had an eerie beauty to it. Jessica was still confused.

 

“So, we’re sisters?”

 

Seohyun smiled and nodded.

 

“We’re not REALLY sisters but, there is a group of us who are as close as sisters.”

 

“So we’re in a group?”

 

Seohyun giggled.

 

“You can say that, Unnie.”

 

Jessica nodded then continued to look around the hall. The mannequins were sitting in all of the seats.

 

“Why are there mannequins here?”

 

“This is their home.”

 

“So you mean that…”

 

“We’re mannequins as well.”

 

“I don’t understand…”

 

“You must have hit your head pretty hard when you landed, huh?”

 

“When I landed?”

 

Seohyun giggled again and took Jessica by the hand.

 

“Come, Unnie, let me show you around.”

 

The two girls got up and went down the center aisle, passing through the mannequins. They through the doors and entered the main hall. Everything was covered in red velvet.

 

“If you are a mannequin then why are you alive and walking?”

 

“Well, I’m waiting for my TURN.”

 

“Your turn?”

 

“My turn to venture into the living world.”

 

“That means that…”

 

“Yes, you are in the middle of your TURN…but…it seems like your time is finishing up…”

 

“Wait…so I’m basically living on borrowed time?”

 

“Yes…”

 

“How long do I have?”

 

“That’s all up to Taeyeon…”

 

“Who’s Taeyeon?”

 

“She’s the one who determines who may leave and enter the living world. She’s our leader.”

 

“How was I chosen?”

 

 “You actually…stole someone else’s TURN…”

 

“I did?”

 

“You have changed, Unnie…you were so selfish and rebellious here in our world yet I guess the living world as changed you…”

 

“I see…whose turn did I steal?”

 

“Sooyoung-Unnie’s…”

 

“I see…”

 

“We’ll…I guess our time is up now, Unnie…”

 

“Wait! Why?”

 

“You need to return to your body now…before…Taeyeon finds out…”

 

“Wait! Will she hurt you?”

 

“No, but she’ll try to get you!”

 

All of sudden, everything slowly began to fade.

 

“Seohyun! Wait!”

 

“There are other sisters out in the living world…they will show you more! Please Unnie! Don’t forget your mission! That might be the only way for you to live…lo…ng….er…”

 

Seohyun faded off and Jessica suddenly woke up in the hospital bed. She slowly rose from her pillow, rubbing her forehead.

 

“Man…what a dream…”

 

Suddenly, there was a tapping at the door. The door opened and it was Hyoyeon.

 

“Wait…you were that woman from the-“

 

“That was me.”

 

“What do you want from me?”

 

Hyoyeon shut the door behind her and sat next to Jessica.

 

“I guess you REALLY forgot everything huh?”

 

Jessica stared at Hyoyeon.

 

“We’re not from this world are we?”

 

Hyoyeon smiled.

 

“I guess you remember some stuff huh?”

 

“Yes, a little bit. I met Seohyun in my dream.”

 

“Seohyun…such a sweetheart…she has been waiting for so long…”

 

“How long?”

 

“She’s been in the deserted concert hall for about…90 years…”

 

“90 years?!”

 

 

Taemin and Onew were walking down the sidewalk. Onew’s place was a couple of blocks away from the hospital so they decided to walk instead of using the bus. They passed by a convenience store when suddenly someone called for Onew.

 

“Onew!”

 

Onew turned and saw Luna and Sulli standing outside the store.

 

“Luna? What are you doing here?”

 

“Oh, Sulli and I just wanted to get some food before we went home. You never returned to work…Key was SO mad at you…”

 

“Let him be mad…I had to care for a friend…”

 

Luna rolled her eyes then saw Taemin behind Onew.

 

“Oh, you must be Taemin!”

 

“Oh yeah, hello!”

 

“Yeah…Sulli has told me SO much about you!”

 

“Oh really?”

 

Sulli punched Luna at her shoulder. Luna giggled.

 

“Luna…” whispered Sulli.

 

“Ok then, well Sulli and I need to get going…”

 

“Ok then, I’ll see you at the Palace!”

 

Luna smiled then pulled Sulli with her. Sulli smiled and waved goodbye to the two boys. Onew turned to Taemin.

 

“Sulli has been chatting about you a lot, huh?”

 

“Hyung! I swear…I don’t even like her!”

 

“Oh yeah right…”

“Actually, there’s someone else!”

 

“Oh really? Who?”

 

“I’ll tell you as we walk home!”

 

“Fine then…”

 

The two boys continued their walk home.

 

 

*Taemin’s Story*

 

Taemin finally landed a job over at Taelli’s. He was so excited because he was an expert at video games and he also had job experience from Lee’s shoes. The job would be perfect for any teenager looking to get some extra cash.

 

When he first entered the plaza, he was intimidated because the majority of the shoppers were wealthy, upper class people, who drove beautiful cars. He did not know if he would last at this job. Taelli’s was a fun shop compared to the expensive, clothes stores scattered all over the plaza. The staff was young and hip and he felt right at home.

 

One day, he decided to have lunch at the food court. He saved up his money because the food court was highly expensive and the food was genuine. He picked the sushi place because he loved sushi. The sushi was amazing yet he ended up spending half of his pay check. Taemin felt guilty. As he went over to the garbage can to throw away his scraps, he ran into a girl in her cell phone. He spilled his food all over her white jeans.

 

“Oh man! I’m so sorry!”

 

The girl moved her sunglasses down.

 

“You…freaking…idiot!”

 

Taemin looked up and was mesmerized. It was Krystal. She was the spoiled sister of the president of Tiffany’s palace. From the rumors he heard, she was supposedly real evil. Yet, Taemin couldn’t believe his eyes.

 

“Are you Krystal?”

 

“YEAH!”

 

“Gosh…I’m so sorry…”

 

“You better be! These pants cost more than what you earn in a year, understand?”

 

Taemin was lovesick. All of her words became distorted as Taemin stared at her as she yelled at him.

 

“You better clean this up!”

 

Taemin smiled at her.

 

“Oh geez, whatever!”

 

 Krystal walked over Taemin. He watched as she disappeared through the plaza doors. The way her body moved and her long black hair swayed, Taemin was in love.

 

“You have to be kidding me!” screamed Onew.

 

They entered through the front door and Taemin began to giggle as he fell on the couch.

 

“I’m not kidding, Hyung!”

 

“Jae Joong’s sister? He’ll kill us!”

 

“No, he won’t!”

 

“Sulli is a nice girl, why not her?”

 

“She’s…too much like me. Krystal…she’s out of this world!”

 

Taemin hugged the pillow and made a deep sigh.

 

“Hyung…I think she’s the one…”

 

Onew returned with some water.

 

“Well…if she is…good luck…you’ll need it!”

 

“Thanks Hyung!”

 

“Ok, get some rest, loverboy!”

 

“Hyung…”

 

Onew turned around before entering his room.

 

“Yes, Taemin…”

 

“That sleeping girl…”

 

“Yeah, what about her?”

 

“Do you love her?”

 

Onew was taken by surprise for such a deep question.

“I just wanted to ask because of all the guys around here…you deserve to fall in love, Hyung.”

 

Onew smiled.

 

“The whole neighborhood felt that way too…”

 

“Taemin…”

 

“Yeah Hyung,”

 

“Get some sleep…”

 

“Fine…you never answered my question though!”

 

“Only time will tell…”

 

“Fine…goodnight Hyung…”

 

“Goodnight bud…”

 

Onew shut the door behind him and fell on his bed. He couldn’t get the image of Jessica fainting into his hands out of his head.

 

“Who are you, Jessica?”

 

Hyoyeon stared out the window as Jessica gathered her thoughts.

 

“Why has she been waiting too long?”

 

“Because the girls who were released into this world have forgotten their missions.”

 

“Missions?”

 

Hyoyeon turned around.

 

“We are granted life only if we are to fulfill a ‘good deed’ or a ‘mission’ as we call it. If you fail, then you are brought back. If you delay too long, then you are brought back.”

 

“What if you complete it?”

 

“Then you are allowed to stay in this world.”

 

“What about you?”

 

“I completed mine. I’m the ONLY mannequin to ever do so.  Now, I’m granted immunity from Taeyeon and I get to live with the humans.”

 

“Wait…you were the only one to do so? How? What was your mission?”

Hyoyeon sighed.

 

“Out of the millions of our kind, I was the only one to complete mine. Let me tell you my story.”

 

*Hyoyeon’s Story*

 

In the mannequin world, there really isn’t any essence of time. It’s just an empty realm. It’s still a mystery on how everything was created and why everything is what it is. Yet, one thing was certain and that was these dolls were granted a chance at being human. The doll that decided who left and who stayed was Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon was the first to be created. She found the mannequin world. Taeyeon was fair and wanted to create a bridge between two worlds: the doll world and the living world. Taeyeon felt they existed to help the living and spread goodness. Yet, as the dolls ventured out, supposedly to spread goodness, they forgot their missions and ran away. Taeyeon lost control. She felt betrayed and decided to slaughter those who left without helping. That’s why there were so many wars. Beneath those wars across history, certain people were killed by Taeyeon. That’s all history now.

 

 After hundreds of years of waiting, Taeyeon reopened the portal to the living. She made the same ultimatum she did in the past but it was far more threatening.

 

“If anyone decides to run away from me and their missions, they will be HUNTED down and brought back to a life of nothingness. If you fulfill your mission, then I will decide if you should continue to stay with the living.”

 

Taeyeon wasn’t as forgiving as before and she only selected one mannequin a year. My turn finally arrived and I was given my mission. These missions were in given in private so no dolls knew what exactly other dolls were doing.

 

When I was called down, I entered the dark passage where Taeyeon, in her cloak, awaited.

 

“Hyoyeon, it looks like you have been selected to enter the living world. Here is your mission.”

 

I was given a scroll then a blinding light engulfed me. I was sent to Seoul where I would complete my mission.

 

Jessica interrupted the narration.

 

“What did you have to do, Hyoyeon?”

 

“Well, I always thought that the missions were about doing good deeds but when I found out about mine, it was far more complex. I was sent to find a certain mayor, seduce him, and then have his child. After that, I would be judged if I should stay here or return to the doll world.”

 

“So, what happened?”

 

“I went against Taeyeon’s plan.”

 

“You did?”

 

“Just like you, I wanted to experience life. Leaving the doll world was so liberating. I stayed in the same place you stayed in. Of course, it changed over time but it was so beautiful.”

 

“What about that ‘mayor’?”

 

“I never met him, because I fell in love.”

 

“In love?”

 

“Yes, I fell in love with a young soldier. He saved me when I first arrived to this world. I fell into the water and couldn’t swim. He saw me from the shore and dove in to save me. We fell in love afterwards. We had a family and a son. I was so happy…”

 

Hyoyeon looked down.

 

“Wait…what happened?”

 

“I was happy because I didn’t have to leave the living world. I was immune to Taeyeon’s attacks because I was in love and someone loved me back. Love was the link between our world and the living world yet Taeyeon doesn’t tell that to anyone.”

 

“I see…”

 

“Yet, nothing was perfect.”

 

“Not perfect?”

 

“We dolls have a curse. A curse of immortality…”

 

“Immortality?”

 

“My family…my husband…my child…they passed away more than a hundred years ago…”

 

“What?! But…you…look…”

 

“I know…young…we’re dolls remember? Yet, even with this curse. I still enjoy one thing.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Life.”

 

“Life…”

 

“I know it’s a lot to take in but you need to decide one thing. Do you want to truly live or remain stranded in nothingness for eternity?”

 

Jessica looked down.

 

“Jessica…I know how you got here and I know that Yoona is after you…”

 

“Why do they want me so bad?”

 

“Because you stole someone else’s turn, you went against Taeyeon’s order and inherited the stolen mission. Yoona is after you because she wants to keep her life before Taeyeon steals hers.”

 

“You are a doll and Yoona is too. Who else are there?”

 

“They all work near that palace store…”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, most dolls forget they’re actually dolls at first but they start to remember through telepathic messages or dreams. That’s why you were drawn to that store. The portal to our world is near there. Some dolls don’t even know why they’re drawn there but they are. Do you know Kwon Yuri?”

 

“The make-up girl from Tiffany’s Palace?”

 

“Yes, she’s a doll too. She doesn’t remember though but through her instincts, she was brought back to that location. From what I know, she hasn’t completed her mission yet either.”

 

“How do you know all this?”

 

“Once you have lived an eternity, you can tell who’s fake and who isn’t. I know when dolls are doing their missions or simply living life.”

 

“Hyoyeon…my head hurts…”

 

“Don’t worry, dear, rest for now. I’m sorry I poured all this information on you.”

 

Jessica slowly fell back down on the bed. Hyoyeon sat down on the chair beside her.

 

“We were all best friends in the doll world…we dreamed about what would we do when Taeyeon granted us a chance at freedom…we promised we would all protect each other…”

 

“We did?”

 

“Yes…”

 

“I want to uphold that promise…”

 

“Of course…”

 

“What happened to our other friends?”

 

“They never succeeded in their missions and were all sent back…Seohyun would be our last friend to arrive…that’s why you need to succeed in your mission.”

 

“But, I don’t know what it is…”

 

“You’ll find out soon enough…please get some sleep now…I’ll be here…”

 

Jessica slowly fell to sleep. Hyoyeon held her hand and slowly dropped a tear.

 

“Please…Taeyeon…don’t harm my friend…she’s getting close…close to love…”

 

Onew came out of the stock room carrying a huge stack of shoes to the sale floor.

 

“Onew! What are you doing?!” screamed Key.

 

“Hold on…watch this!”

 

Onew quickly went through the aisles placing all the boxes in their correct spots. On the last box, he opened it up and took out glittery red heels. He neatly placed them in a glass case. Onew stretched his arms.

 

“Piece of cake…” whispered Onew.

 

“Oh yeah…why don’t you help her then?” responded Key.

 

Key pointed over to the next aisle. Wonder Girls’ Sun Ye was strolling down the aisle with her shades. Onew smiled and went over to her.

 

“Well, hello there, Ma’am. How may I help you?”

 

“Oh hello there, I’m looking for a certain pair of pumps that are comfortable yet stylish in the same time…”

 

“Oh really? I know what you’re looking for! Right this way!”

 

Onew guided Sun Ye down the next aisle. Suddenly, the intercom blasted on.

 

“Lee Ji Ki…please report to the Manager’s Office…”

 

Onew looked up and seemed confused.

 

“It looks like SOMEONE is in trouble…” whispered Key.

 

Onew turned to Sun Ye.

 

“I’m very sorry, Ma’am, but my other associate can help you.”

 

Onew handed the customer over to Luna. Luna was awestruck.

 

“Sun…Ye…” whispered Luna.

 

Onew dashed off to the office.

 

“I remember she wanted me to report to the office…I wonder what the REAL problem is…” thought Onew.

 

Onew arrived at the office door. Before he could knock, Tiffany called for him.

 

“You can enter, Onew.”

 

Onew turned the knob and saw Tiffany standing next her desk. Her chair slowly turned around and it was Jae Joong.

 

“Hyung…”

 

Jae Joong was in a dark suit with a skinny black tie and a white shirt. He took his shades off and placed a video tape on the desk.

 

“Hi there, Onew, do you know what I have here?”

 

Onew lifted his eyebrow and went over to touch the tape. Tiffany pulled her whip and slapped Onew’s hand.

 

“OUCH!”

 

“Don’t touch it, Onew!”

 

Onew blew on his sore hand. Jae Joong slowly stood up.

 

“What happened yesterday, in my store, could cost us a lot, understand?”

 

“I don’t get it…”

 

“Tiffany had to speak with the media and explain what happened and how it was all an accident. I don’t like the Palace being on the media and being scrutinized. It makes OUR store look bad. It makes ME look bad, understand?”

 

Onew narrowed his eyes.

 

“I know, Hyung, but, my friend just fainted and-“

 

“Friend? The ‘customer’ you mean?”

 

“No, she was my friend and she needed help. There was no problem.”

 

Jae Joong smiled and went over to Onew. He put his arm around him.

 

“She’s cute isn’t she? The blonde girl fell into your arms right?”

 

Onew felt uncomfortable next Jae Joong.

 

“Listen up, Onew. Don’t try to be some kind of hero alright? These little acts could ruin everything here so please…be careful…understand? It could cost you this job.”

 

Onew sighed and nodded.

 

“And I don’t want my FAVORITE shoe boy to get FIRED right?”

 

Onew nodded once again.

 

“Good…now…back to work…”

 

Jae Joong took his arm off Onew and Onew turned and exited the office. Jae Joong sighed and turned to Tiffany.

 

“Tiffany…my dear…please keep a CLOSE eye on Onew and…on that Window-shopping girl, understand?”

 

“Yes sir…”

 

Jae Joong slowly turned and placed his hand on Tiffany’s face. He guided his hand down her face towards her neck to her necklace. Tiffany shivered from the excitement.

 

“I see you still wear my presents…how adorable…”

 

Tiffany blushed.

 

“Please remember…that GIRL must be watched…if she gets any closer to Onew…”

 

“Yes sir…I mean…Oppa…”

 

“Good…”

 

Jae Joong slowly kissed Tiffany on the forehead.

 

“That’s my girl…I must leave now…I trust you will remember what I want…”

 

“Yes…Oppa…”

 

Jae Joong smiled, turned, and exited the office. Tiffany slowly slumped down on her seat, fidgeting with her necklace.

 

Heechul, Yuri, and Key sat in the plaza café sipping on their cappuccinos. They all wore their dark shades and wore stylish clothing. They definitely stood out in the café. Young school girls walked by, swooning over the trio.

 

“Why do we have to be in public?” asked Yuri.

 

“It’s fine, my dear, it’s good to try new things and gain some attention, right?” responded Heechul.

 

“Admit it, Kwon Yuri, you LOVE the attention…” said Key.

 

Yuri smirked and continued to sip on her drink. Heechul took his shades off.

 

“Don’t you think the Palace has gotten interesting ever since Onew arrived?”

 

Yuri ignored the question. Key cleared his throat.

 

“It’s hard for me to admit but, the store has gotten rather EXCITING since he arrived. First, he does ALL the work. Second, we don’t have to handle that freaking weird chick. Last, the media has been all over us. Finally, ACTION is happening to the PALACE.”

 

“Before, it was all about snobbish customers and fake customer service but now, there is some SPIRIT in our store.”

 

Yuri took her shades off.

 

“I can’t stand him. He thinks he knows SO much. He actually tried to back talk me!”

 

Heechul and Key laughed.

 

“But…he did bring one thing to our store…”

 

Key and Heechul lifted their eyebrows.

 

“He brought…Minho…”

 

Heechul smiled at Yuri.

 

“Oh…you mean our new stock boy? He applied along with Onew but they don’t know each other.”

 

“Doesn’t matter…that boy…is…scrumptious…”

 

Heechul and Key continued to laugh.

 

“Kwon Yuri…you are so…DEVILISH!”

 

Key and Yuri gave each other a high-five. Heechul turned face serious suddenly.

 

“What do you think happened to the WindowShopper?” asked Heechul.

“I heard she’s at the hospital,” said Key.

 

“Whatever happened…I hope she doesn’t come back…” said Yuri.

 

They all sighed in the same time and sipped on their drinks. Heechul continued.

 

“I think Onew likes her…” said Heechul.

 

“Well, if he does…it’s going to be a weird ride for him if you know what I mean!” yelled Key.

 

Key and Yuri high-fived once again.

 

“Well whatever happens, I hope Onew takes care. That girl is REAL odd…”

 

They all agreed.

 

“Ok, break is over now. Key and Yuri, let’s go.”

 

They all returned to the Palace.

 

Luna opened the back door leading to the back of the plaza. She was dragging bags of paper. She lifted them one by one into the giant recycle bin. She shut the garbage lid and sighed heavily.

 

“Man…this is HARD work…”

 

She wiped the sweat from her forehead and embraced the cool night breeze. She pulled out her cell phone to check if she had any messages. She had one text from her boyfriend, Nickhun. She sighed and frowned.

 

“What do you want?”

 

She texted back and started heading back in. Suddenly, she heard footsteps echoing off at the end of the alley. She put her cell phone back in her pocket. She slowly snuck behind the giant garbage can and took a peek down the alley. She saw a tall woman walking. Luna ducked behind the garbage can.

 

“Oh geez…who is that?”

 

She took a peek again. The woman slowly vanished into the darkness. Luna’s heart was pounding. She turned and dashed back into the building.

 

Yoona was reluctant to return but Taeyeon was summoning her so she had to return. Yoona walked down the dark passage. Taeyeon emerged from the shadows and stood into the moonlight.

 

“What news do you have for me now, Yoona?”

 

“Jessica is kept up in the hospital.”

 

“Then why don’t you RETRIEVE her?”

 

“I can’t…Hyoyeon is there…”

 

Taeyeon eyes widened.

 

“Hyoyeon…what does she want?”

 

“She’s protecting her friend.”

 

“So I guess Jessica is beginning to remember things now…good…”

 

“If I do bring her to you…are you going to grant me a human life?”

 

“Yoona…your mission was to help a young girl realize her dream as an actress but instead you stole her dreams away from her…now…the girl is homeless and suffering from your mistake…you went against my plans…”

 

“But…Unnie…”

 

“Now if you disobey me again…I will PERSONALLY send you back to nothingness as a doll, understand?”

 

Yoona sighed and bowed. Sooyoung emerged from the darkness.

 

“Bring back, Jessica…she needs to repay what she has done to me…”

 

Yoona was frightened by Sooyoung’s intimidating stare.

 

“Fine…I’ll bring her back soon…”

 

Yoona turned and walked out of the shadowy passage.

 

“Be patient, Sooyoung, you’ll have your turn soon…”

 

“I’m so mad, Unnie, I was supposed to help that boy and make him fall in love with me-“

 

Taeyeon slapped Sooyoung.

 

“No one is falling in LOVE understand? Why? Do you want to leave me and my world?”

 

“No, Unnie…is just that…I always wanted to experience what it was like…”

 

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes.

 

“Go back now before I change my mind.”

 

Sooyoung frowned and returned into the darkness. Taeyeon turned and stared out into the cool night sky.

“If they all leave me…I will be powerless…”

 

Taeyeon placed her hood on and vanished into the darkness.

 

 

It was closing time already at the Palace and everyone was slowly heading out. Yuri cut through the employees and quickly walked out. She pulled her keys out as she walked to the employee parking lot. She accessed her Porsche, quickly ignited the engine, and blasted out of the parking lot. Several male teenager employees from the plaza gazed at awe as Yuri zoomed out of the lot.

 

“Dude…she’s freaking HOT!”

 

Yuri lowered her car’s roof and drove with the top down. She played with her long black hair as she drove the downtown streets. She pulled up at the intersection and ignored the several young men swooning over her.

 

“HEY BABY!!! WHY DON’T YOU JOIN US FOR A DRINK?!”

 

Yuri smirked at the annoying men and blasted off right when the light turned green.

 

“Geez…men…”

 

She finally made it to her favorite coffee shop that overlooked the Han River. Whenever she felt exhausted or lonely, she would make a quiet stop there. She went through the front door and was instantly greeted by the manager’s young daughter.

 

“Unnie! It’s been awhile!”

 

“Hi! I’ll have my ‘usual’ ok?”

 

The young girl bowed and hurried to the kitchen. Yuri took a seat at the back and slowly slid into place. She placed her head against the wall and stared out the window. The city lights seemed to flicker like candles as she stared aimlessly. She slowly sighed and looked over to the other seats to see if anyone was dining along with her. She saw a quiet couple at the other side but Yuri ignored them. Her special coffee arrived shortly after.

 

“Thanks, honey…”

 

“Anything for my Unnie!”

 

Yuri smiled and started to sip on her coffee.

 

“Why am I here? Why do I exist?” thought Yuri.

 

Suddenly, the girlfriend from the corner table got up and slapped her boyfriend. She quickly dashed out of the café in tears. The tall boyfriend slowly rose and rubbed his face. It was Minho. Yuri’s heart began to beat faster.

 

“What’s he doing here?”

 

Minho left money for the bill and slowly walked out. Yuri chugged her coffee down, almost choking herself, left money, and ran out of the café.

 

“Unnie?!”

 

“Sorry, honey, got to go!”

 

Minho was standing outside looking over the river. He was staring at his cell phone. Yuri slowly crept by a tree and watched him.

 

“What is he doing?”

 

Minho yelled into the air and was about to throw his phone into the river but he hesitated at the last moment and placed it into his pocket. He walked down the hill and sat alone on a park bench. Yuri started to grow nervous.

 

“Should I join him? No…I shouldn’t…but wait…he’s need a friend right? Wait…I’m KWON YURI! HE NEEDS ME!” thought Yuri.

 

She looked down and could tell he was crying. She bit her lower lip and slowly walked down the hill to join him. She came upon him and heard sniffling as he cried to himself.

 

“Minho…”

 

Minho slowly looked up and Yuri could tell he’s been crying for awhile.

 

“Noona? What are you doing here?”

 

Yuri hated being called “Noona” but she swallowed her pride and continued on.

 

“I saw you in the café and I wanted to say ‘hi’ but you ran out before I could catch up…”

 

“Oh…I see…I’m sorry about that, Noona…”

 

“Do you mind if I join you, Minho?”

 

“Yes, please…”

 

Minho wiped his tears and made space for Yuri to sit. Yuri slowly sat beside him and moved her hair on one side to expose her gorgeous neck line. Minho didn’t pay much attention to Yuri’s attraction methods.

 

“Minho…why are you…crying?”

 

“I…well…my girlfriend…left me…”

 

“Oh…”

 

“It’s…been hard these past weeks…”

 

“Oh…I see…”

 

“Work has been helping me slightly but…I just can’t stop thinking about her…”

 

Yuri felt uncomfortable listening to Minho talk about his endless love for his girlfriend but she couldn’t help but stay beside him. He started to slowly tear up again. For a very tall, muscular man, he had a very soft heart.

 

“What’s her name?”

 

“Her name is…Jojo…we met in high school…”

 

“Jojo…”

 

Minho moved closer to Yuri and held her hand.

 

“Thanks for being here, Noona…”

 

Minho let go of her hand and slowly got up.

 

“I need to leave now…”

 

“Minho, wait…let me join you…”

 

“Sorry, Noona, I need time alone to think…”

 

Yuri nodded and Minho walked off towards the bridge. Yuri slowly felt her heart break. She gripped her purse and quickly stood up.

 

“I’m a fool…I’m so pathetic…What am I doing?!” thought Yuri.

 

Suddenly, she received a text from Jonghyun. It read:

 

“PARTY. MY MANSION. TOMORROW AT 9PM. BE THERE.”

 

Yuri rolled her eyes.

 

“I might as well…”

 

Yuri walked up to her car and drove home.

 

 

Onew was walking out of the plaza. He pulled his backpack higher as he crossed the street. Suddenly, Jonghyun’s limousine screeched to a sudden stop right in front of him. Onew fell back.

“Holy crap!”

 

Jonghyun appeared out the limo roof window.

 

“DUDE! GET IN NOW!”

 

“WAIT A MINUTE!”

 

The limo doors flew open and a group of girls grabbed Onew and dragged into the limo.

 

“Ouch!”

 

The girls all giggled as they shut the door behind them. It was crammed in the limo but it was very stylish. There were leopard skin seats, pink champagne, and the members of Afterschool escorting Jonghyun.

 

“What do you think, Onew?”

 

Onew was looking all around and couldn’t help but feel excited by everything around him.

 

“You know…AFTERSCHOOL?”

 

Jonghyun laughed.

 

“Of course!”

 

All girls laughed at Onew’s naivety.

 

“I needed to tell something important and while I do that, you can take a ride home on my limo. Awesome right?”

 

“I guess so…what did you want to tell me?”

 

“I’m having a party tomorrow and you and your friends are invited!”

 

“Really?”

 

“Of course!”

 

“What’s the occasion?”

 

“I love to party every 2ndFriday of the month and well, its FRIDAY tomorrow!”

 

“Wow…ok then…I’ll go!”

 

“It’s a date then dude!”

 

The limo instantly stopped and Onew was shoved out of the limo.

“Well, Onew, we will see you tomorrow! My mansion at 9pm, got it?”

 

“Sure!”

 

“See ya!”

 

The limo stormed off.

 

“Wait! Crap…I don’t even have his address…”

 

Taemin was standing behind Onew.

 

“Hyung…what was that?”

 

“Taemin? How long have you been standing there?”

 

“Just got here…”

 

Onew turned around and they were in front of his apartment.

 

“Oh…well…wanna join me tomorrow for a party?”

 

“What? Of course!”

 

Onew and Taemin laughed and gave each other a high five.

 

 

Jessica mysterious past is slowly beginning to be revealed. What are the missing clues to Jessica’s mission? Who are “The Dolls”? Is Onew getting closer to Jessica or are they too different? What will happen at Jonghyun’s party? Please stay tuned!

 

END OF CHAPTER 4