Two minus one is not zero but one

Childhood Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a Sunday. It was the last day for Kahi to sign the papers and return them to Jung Ah. Kahi stared at the black folder and played with the pen in her fingers. She decided to ask her kids for their opinion since Jung Ah had went over to her parent’s place.

Bekah and Nana were in the living room, watching Tom and Jerry. Kahi grabbed a tub of chocolate ice cream and plopped herself in between the two on the sofa.

“ICE CREAM!!” Nana and Bekah squealed. Before they could even snatch the spoons from Kahi, their hands were swatted.

“Girls, let’s talk. We can have ice cream at the same time.” Kahi stated, switched off the TV and handed each of them a spoon.

“Kids, you know I don’t remember omma, right?” They nodded.

“Do you girls love omma?” Again, they nodded.

“What if omma and appa have to go separate ways?” Bekah’s and Nana’s eyes widened and they stopped attacking the ice cream.

“You mean you and omma are going to divorce?” Bekah asked.

“Y-yeah.” Kahi answered, sightly surprised that Bekah knew what a divorce was despite her young age.

Nana dropped her spoon, went over to Bekah's side and started crying on Bekah’s shoulder. Bekah could only rub her back soothingly to comfort her.

“Appa, I know it may be difficult for the two of you because you don’t remember omma but you don’t have to divorce her.” Bekah said.

“You don’t understand Bek. She has already signed the papers. She only needs my signature.”

 

“Why? Why are you guys going to divorce? Why can’t you just go back to like when you were in the past? Why can’t you just fall for her again?”

“Omma said it’s for the best and she can’t do this anymore. She can’t continue being my wife when I can’t remember her. We had talked about our past but till now I still can’t remember her!” Kahi hit her own head with her hands angrily and started pulling her own hair as though it would help release some tension.

Bekah grabbed Kahi’s hands and placed them on her lap. “Appa, do you love omma? Do you have any feelings for her?”

Kahi kept quiet.

“Do you have any feelings for omma?” Bekah asked again.

“No…” Kahi whispered.

“There, you have your answer. You don’t love her. There isn't any chances of you two going back together. Why don’t you just sign the papers? It’s the best option. Although it may hurt me and Jin Ah but it’s for our own good, right? Please sign the papers.” Bekah pleaded.

Nana who was now sobbing softly said, “I agree with unni. Please appa.”

Kahi stared at her kids. Sadness filled the air. She motioned them to come closer and when they did, she hugged them tight.

She then whispered, “I’ll sign it now and return the papers to your omma later when she comes home.”

*

It was 9 pm when the front door was unlocked and Jung Ah entered the house. She was surprised to see Kahi sitting on the couch, watching TV.

“Hey I’m home.” Jung Ah tapped Kahi’s shoulder.

 

“Oh hey…”

“Kahi, about the papers…”

“I’ve signed them.” Kahi cut her off.

“W-What?” Jung Ah couldn’t believe it.

“Yes, as promised, I’ve signed it. It’s on the countertop in the kitchen.”

Jung Ah walked to the kitchen and saw the black folder. She flipped through it and saw that Kahi had really signed the papers.

“Sigh. Looks like we really are going separate ways. Damn it. I shouldn’t have signed it first.” Jung Ah mumbled to herself.

*

 

(At Jung Ah’s parent’s place earlier on)

(Jung Ah’s POV)

“So you and Ji Young are really going to go separate ways?” Omma asked.

“Neh.” I shortly responded and took a sip of my tea.

“Really Jung Ah? You’re giving every

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter