Chapter 45: Bad Behavior

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can’t believe we’re standing next to each other again… in this kind of situation yet, again.” 

Haru looks beside her to see Himchan bowing politely towards the judge sitting behind the bench.

“I hope you do a better job this time.” She mutters quietly with a smile upon her face. 

The prosecution wanted to be stricter on her and while Himchan worked hard to create excuses, some of his excuses called for testifiers that would make her look good before the judge. Yongguk– sure, he’ll be great. Kind-hearted. He would do anything to help her. Youngjae on the other hand…,

Haru suddenly finds herself focusing on the detective closely. He would be the reason she goes to prison. She just knows it. With every fiber of her being. 

“Himchan, you really couldn’t find anyone else?” She leaned towards the public defender. Anyone else would do. 

The defender brings his finger up to his lips to signal her to be quiet before standing to his feet.

Sure, she doesn’t know many people… and not many people like her, but, even as a last resort, she would never suggest Youngjae. 

“Detective Yoo Youngjae, you have spent quite a bit of time with the defendant. How would you describe her as a person?”

Youngjae looks in her direction for a moment. Even if she was at her wits end, she wouldn’t ever plead him. 

“Ever since I grew acquainted to Lee Haru, I found that she has anger issues, an attitude problem–,”

God, she knew it would turn out this way.

“And, she has a very strong sense of justice.” He continues. 

Haru is suddenly confused. There’s no way he would be helping her, would he?

“Though, she goes about it in the wrong way.” Youngjae explains. 

“The reason Lee Haru is here today is because of her involvement with Nabi’s leader, Lee Seonwoong. Is Lee Haru the type of person that would aid in the gang’s illegal activities?”

“Lee Haru may be Lee Seonwoong’s daughter but she never supported him.” Youngjae replies. “When she was sixteen, she escaped that world and was only forced back recently.”

“So, you believe she didn’t go back on her own will?”

“Yes.”

Himchan looks over to the prosecutor. “Then, detective Yoo Youngjae, why did you request an arrest warrant for the defendant?”

“That was the only way to save her.” 

Haru narrows her eyes in his direction. That’s too soft for him. There’s no way that’s true. God, even officers of the law lie under oath? You can’t trust anybody to tell the truth in this world. 

“Lee Haru.”

Her head snaps up at the call of her name. Her eyes land on the judge behind the raised desk. 

“What would you say if I ordered 70 hours of community service at the police station again on top of the hours you still need to complete? It appears you had a good learning experience the first time.” 

God, again?

She could already imagine Himchan’s reaction– you should be happy, he would say. 

Haru sighs. “I went to them on my own free will.” Her sudden confession causes everyone in the room to fall silent. She wasn’t going to create some false narrative and she had made up her mind long before this trial. “There’s no point in making excuses. I’ll just accept whatever that happens today.”

Himchan looks at her in disbelief. 

Predictably, she got a worse sentencing.

***

“Why would you do that?” 

Both Youngjae and Himchan walked alongside Haru as she is led into lockup. 

“My dad would laugh at me.” She responds to Himchan.

“Isn’t this your pride that is talking?” Youngjae questions knowingly. 

“Haru, you’re serving time now when it could have been 70 hours and plus some of community service.” Himchan tries to keep himself calm and collected. He didn’t understand her need to say such things in the courtroom. 

“What?” She blankly reacts. “It’s not like they would lock me up forever.”

“Do you really want to test it?” Himchan questions. “You have a bad temper. Throwing you in with other people with bad tempers would put you at risk for bad behavior and increasing–,”

“Kim Himchan, you’re thinking of the worst-case scenario.”

The sudden voice draws their attention.  Turning around, they find the judge who have oversaw her case walking towards them, this time out of his gown. With a small bow, they greet him. Joining their little group, Judge Kim turns his attention towards the young girl.       

“Lee Haru, I’m curious about something.” He begins. “Tell me one thing that you regret.”

“Tell him you regret returning–,” Himchan mutters before her voice cuts him off.

“Not being able to graduate high school.”

He nods his head in understanding. “Then, Lee Haru, if you do not finish your high school degree by the end of your term in prison, your sentence will increase from 6 months to a year.”

“Are you challenging me? Because I don’t lose.” She responds.

The older man sighs. “Maybe so.”

Haru looks to Youngjae. “Hey, take care of my dog while I’m not there.”

“Why would I do that?”

“Because you arrested me. Anyways, use it as your chance to get over your fear.”

Himchan thinks over the words. “Youngjae, you’re scared of dogs?”

Youngjae sighs. 

“While you’re doing that, why don’t you hurry up and find Jinyoung if you’re so great.” Haru snaps. 

***

With her sights on an empty chair, she didn’t notice the leg that stuck out causing her to trip over. Her tray of food scatters across the floor as she lands onto her stomach. Gritting her teeth, she pushes herself up back onto her feet to find her gray uniform covered in today’s special.

The guilty women snicker behind her. 

Without an ounce of fear, she turns around and stares straight down at them. “You think just because I’m young, you can pick on me?”

The women’s smiles disappear from their lips and they stand to their feet. The cafeteria falls silent at the scene. They tower over her but it does nothing to deter her. Even if they were eight feet tall, it wouldn’t make her back down.

“Little girl, did you make a mistake? Did you really call us out?”

“There’s no mistake. I’m sure it was you fatties responsible.” She retorts. 

“Just because you’re working on your high school degree, you think you can look down on us? You think we’re uneducated?”

“That came out of nowhere. If you have to ask me something that specific, doesn’t that me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter