Chapter 22: Undeniably, She's a Bulldozer

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Officer Sungwon was asking for you.”

Haru waves off Youngjae’s words before taking a seat at his desk. Without reservations, she allows her head to drop on its cool surface. Letting out a sigh, Haru’s lids prove to be too heavy and she gives in. 

Youngjae leans forward, peering around to get a glimpse of her face. “What is it? Long day?”

“I couldn’t sleep and school was such a drag.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be refreshed after break?”

“Then, tell me why it skipped out on me.”

“Well, you’re a mystery in many ways.” He replies and Haru’s eyes snap open. Sitting up, she stares back at him through hooded eyes. “What is it?”

“Haru!”

She turns away from the detective in front of her to see the beaming face of Sungwon. Her face subtly grimaces upon the sight. “What is it?” 

“I got him.”

“Got who?”

He hits her arm blissfully, which only makes her grumpier. “The stalker.”

The stalker? “Oh.” She’s so out of it that she let it slip her mind. “How?”

“Munje Street.” He replies. “He was the one responsible for the assaults on women in the area for weeks now and I found definitive proof.” 

“That’s great.” She really did mean it but her tone of voice indicated otherwise. It was really luck that she ran into him that day with Jieun – otherwise, she would have never made the connection with the face Sungwon showed her yesterday in a photo. 

He continues on excitedly. “Lee Gukjoo told me to tell you that she’s thankful.”

“Why would she thank me?”

For the first time, Haru didn’t see any hint of the annoying Sungwon that turned her off when she first met him. “Because of what you told me, I was able to catch him.”

And, she was at a loss for words. “But, you’re the one who caught him.” She really didn’t do anything. 

“Just take the credit.” Youngjae’s words come from beside her.

Haru turns in his direction to see his attention completely on his paperwork before facing Sungwon once more. “Then, I’m glad.”

With a smile, he lightly taps her arm before getting up from his seat to return to his cubicle. 

“That’s what he wanted to see me for?”

“Is it weird that people want to thank someone that helped them?” Youngjae asks rhetorically. 

Well, she supposes not.

***

While driving, Yongguk steals quick glances in Haru’s direction. She had her cheek pressed up against the glass with her eyes glazed over. 

“Haru, you could have just gone home today after classes.” He wonders if school was getting stressful since graduation is a few months away and approaching quickly. 

The idea of going home forces her to sigh. She would just end up alone with her bothersome thoughts. The same thoughts that have kept her up all night. For a moment, she just wanted to take a break. Haru is predominately exhausted at the current point in time but she has no doubt that sooner or later, she might start breaking things for relief. 

Sticking her hand into her pocket, she pulls out her blue ball and starts playing with it.

Seeing the sight, Yongguk presses his lips together. It seems she has a lot on her mind – and she’ll tell him when she wants to. 

***

With some urging from Yongguk, Haru drags herself out of the car as her eyes fall on the familiar playground. Watching the officer from behind, the kids correlated the bright blue uniform for some sweets. 

The small group of children rush over and grab onto Yongguk’s uniform, their eyes begging for the candies he was holding in his two fists. 

“Hey, Haru.” 

Meeting his eyes, she waited for him to voice what was on his mind.

“Why don’t you go and grab some coffee? There’s a vending machine around the corner of the school building.”

With a nod, Haru goes off. Soon, she stands in front of the towering structure, slipping in coins as the machine ate it to spit out two cans of coffee. Returning, she finds Yongguk already comfortable on the bench that had full view of the children and playground and meets him there. 

Handing him a can, the two take a seat and allow their eyes to wander. 

“Shouldn’t you get back to work, Yongguk? Chief would probably be unhappy if he finds out you’re slacking again.”

“He’s so happy these days that this wouldn’t be enough to make him mad.” Yongguk replies with a grin.

Silence returns. 

Watching Haru from the corner of his eyes, he breaks it. “Haru, I don’t know what’s bothering you but this is so unlike you.” 

She turns to look at him. 

“You’re like a bulldozer.” Chuckles follow his words, it was a perfect description. “You’re never stuck.” But here she was, appearing so. 

“So, are we sitting here because you’re worried?”

“Yeah.” He answers softly before lightly patting her head. “I’m here if you need someone to listen.”

Allowing his words to sink in, Haru couldn’t help but laugh. Yongguk would never understand. Not because he wasn’t empathetic but because he couldn’t relate. It was so strange. Here she was, sitting beside him, but they felt worlds apart. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter