When We Met Again at Mall

Chanbaek One-Shot Stories

 

The man absentmindedly walked alone to the second floor of mall with escalator. There was a supermarket located on the second floor.  He grabbed a piece of paper from his jeans’ pocket which contained a list of two cartoons of milk, coffee powder, sugar, eggs, and the other products. Those would fill his fridge and kitchen counter. Some of women who stood in front of him and some who used the escalator down to the first floor were looking at the tall guy, but the said man didn’t care much. The man surely had a nice figure and handsome face. No wonder he became a center of attention from the visitors of that mall.

 

There was also one person who was staring at the said tall man since he stepped feet on the escalator to the first floor. No, not a quick glance or purely admiration like the others, he didn’t even believe his own eyes when he saw the tall man. After seven years didn’t see the said man, he still recognized him very well. Byun Baekhyun couldn’t forget Park Chanyeol, his first love. How could he?

 

Their eyes met for mere seconds and Chanyeol diverted his eyes. Baekhyun smiled bitterly, but quickly enough to realized the situation and then touched his companion’s arm, “Yifan, can you go first to the parking lot? Ah, you can go home if you want to. I think I saw my friend and I want to greet him.”

 

Wu Yifan just nodded and smiled at the shorter, “I’ll wait in the car. Give me the shopping bags, I’ll bring those to the car.”

 

“Thank you,” Baekhyun didn’t wait for a response. After arrived at the first floor, he rushed back taking the escalator to the second floor.

 

Baekhyun ran and searched for the certain man once he was at the second floor. He caught a glimpse of the man. Who could really miss a tall man whose hair-colored red like Park Chanyeol? Baekhyun chased after him and tapped him on the shoulder. “Chanyeol…”

 

The taller turned around just to meet a pair of brown eyes, once again, in front of him. He couldn’t avoid Byun Baekhyun at that moment, so when the brunette asked him to talk for a while, he accepted. They chose a coffee shop near the escalator, ordered just simple cups of black coffee. And there he was, Park Chanyeol, sat while crumbling the paper of his shopping list under the table.

 

“It’s been a long time. How are you?” Baekhyun talked first. He sensed that the man before him was uncomfortable with their conversation.

 

“Good,” shipping his coffee, Chanyeol stared at the shorter’s hands which holding the cup of coffee. There was a ring on one of his fingers. Once again, Chanyeol diverted his eyes, anything to be seen but that ring.

 

“When did you come back to Korea?” Baekhyun never hear news about Chanyeol from his friends for these past years. One of their friends from high school, Kim Jongdae, rarely talked about Chanyeol when they met. Like any other friends whom Baekhyun asked about Chanyeol, Jongdae didn’t give information about Chanyeol’s whereabouts. He just told him to focus on his future without holding the past.

 

Baekhyun hoped Chanyeol just came back recently, so he didn’t missed much about the man, but the reality was cruel, “It’s almost a year since I’ve came back.”

 

“Ooh I see…” Disappointment was all over Baekhyun. His face. His voice. His heart. After lost contact for seven years, Chanyeol didn’t even bother to inform him that he came back to Korea one year ago. It was really pathetic. Baekhyun didn’t know where Chanyeol had been all these years. Jongdae just said Chanyeol went to Japan with his parents. Where was the exact city? What was the reason behind? He never knew.

 

 

 

-

-

-

-

 

 

 

“It’s really nice to have all this great years with you. What? We are celebrating our third anniversary? Hahaha…”

 

 

-

-

-

-

 

 

“Park Chanyeol, you must come with us. Your father’s business isn’t doing great. We will start all over again in Japan.”

“But Mom, I don’t want to leave everything I have here. It’s been almost one year I go to college. I don’t want to move to another university. I don’t want to leave my friends. I’ll live here in Korea alone without you all.”

“But Chanyeol, you’re our only son. Our only child. We can’t leave you here alone…”

“I already registered you to this one university and you can transfer your credit semesters there. Also, you can start soon. You won’t left behind.”

“But Dad… I…”

“Please… we’re going soon. Two days from now.”

“Mom…”

“It’s okay to go tomorrow. The faster we go, the sooner I’ll meet my business partners and discuss about things.”

“But Dad, it means I don’t even have enough time to say goodbye to my friends… You can’t do this to me.”

“Chanyeol, please…”

 ­

 

 

 

 

-

-

-

-

-

 

 

 

 

 

“How I miss you so much. What? Already two years since you went without news, at all.”

“I told you, right?”

 

Chanyeol didn’t have courage to face all of his friends since he vanished suddenly and lost contact to all of them. He only communicated with Jongdae, his best friend. Even after he had to live with his parents for all these years, Chanyeol would spare a time to go back to Korea just to meet Jongdae. Twice or three times a year. He promised to visit Jongdae every year, but the other also had to promise him to keep it as a secret. Nobody had to know about where he was, including his boyfriend, Byun Baekhyun, or perhaps his ex at that time. He didn’t even know how to define their relationship anymore.

 

He didn’t have a gut to meet the brunette. He cut all ties with the man whom he loved so much once he arrived at Japan. Arranging his life from the beginning wasn’t an easy task, moreover his family‘s problems didn’t solve altogether once they arrived there. Many things came to be solved and Chanyeol sure had a lot of stress, till he didn’t want to care about everything he left in Korea. Chanyeol felt guilty for all these years because he left the petit man behind without a single word or explanation at all. He was angry at himself for being such a weak person, but above all, he felt guilty. He couldn’t face the smaller even when he came to Korea every year for these seven years. Jongdae gave him all informations about the said man, but Chanyeol only listened.

 

The sixth year Chanyeol came to Korea, Jongdae told him that Byun Baekhyun engaged to his boyfriend, Wu Yifan. They had been together since the fifth year Chanyeol lived in Japan. That time, Chanyeol just listened as he always did and sincerely wished for Baekhyun’s happiness. Even though, it meant Chanyeol couldn’t be happy.

 

 

 

 

-

-

-

-

 

 

 

 It already six months since Chanyeol stayed in Korea, Jongdae asked him, “So you will live here permanently?”

 

“I guess so. I start my own business. A bookstore. Cool, huh?”

 

Rolling his eyes, Jongdae just laughed sarcastically, “You’re always surrounded by books since I’ve met you. So… that explains why you never have boyfriend. People were ‘afraid’ of a nerd.”

 

“Yah, loves reading books not always consider as a nerd, okay?”

 

They sat silently after that.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“You don’t want to meet him? He will marry that guy this year,” Jongdae asked his friend, both knew who was the person they’re talking about.  He looked at Chanyeol who felt silent. His body froze for a few seconds. Jongdae knew at that moment Chanyeol was regretting his self.

 

With a forced smile, Chanyeol asked Jongdae back, “What for?”

 

“Seriously? Park Chanyeol, you shall know, although you lie to the world, I know better. You never know how to lie. You still love him,” Jongdae brought his index finger to Chanyeol’s chest, jabbing on it. “And even though we’re best friend, I’ve been being Baekhyun’s best friend long time before. I feel bad for him because whenever he asked me about you, I couldn’t tell the truth. And if he already forgot you, why he always come here and desperately asking me about you? You two still love each other. If you feel guilty toward him, just say sorry. Explain yourself.”

 

Chanyeol moved Jongdae’s finger from his chest, sighing he said, “It’s been too long, so what? It won’t change anything if I apologize. He’ll still marry Wu Yifan and I don’t want to ruin other people’s happiness.”

 

“Gosh… you never try though,” Shaking his head, Jongdae then caught a sight of the wall clock. “Aakh, I’m late to pick up my mother. She’s out of town, I need to hurry. Bye Chanyeol.”

 

“Yah, this is your house. I also have to go,” Chanyeol went out with the other man.

 

“Aaakh… What now?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“My car’s engine doesn’t work. Uugh.”

 

“… You can use my car then,” Chanyeol offered.

 

Jongdae glanced at Chanyeol like he wouldn’t believe what he just heard. “You never like other people drive your car. Other than books, you really love your car. That’s your baby.”

 

“But you need it. Otherwise you won’t make it to pick up your mother.”

 

“…”

 

“Jongdae-ah?”

 

“No. I’m taking taxi. I appreciate your offer, but no.”

 

“But…”

 

“Chanyeol, just be selfish. You always tell me you don’t like other people driving your car. It’s okay,” After that, Jongdae’s facial expression turned softly, “For once in your lifetime, you can be selfish if that means you can reach your happiness. I mean, if the other party agrees to it, why not?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Baekhyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

-

-

-

-

-

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol tried so hard to avoid gazing at the ring, but it killed him, so he asked, “When will the wedding be held?”

 

Taken back by the question, Baekhyun withdrew his hands from the table, “Two weeks from now.”

 

You never know how to lie. Jongdae often said that to Chanyeol, but at that moment, he could tell otherwise.

 

“Congratulation,” Chanyeol smiled. Deep down he felt empty. He knew about the wedding from Jongdae, but hearing it from Baekhyun was a different story.

 

“I… “ Baekhyun couldn’t finish his sentences since his phone was ringing. The phone on the table was beaming with a name on the screen. Wu Yifan. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were aware of it. Both of them felt like the time had stop right there when Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun, meanwhile the smaller faced down to his phone. It kept ringing, until Baekhyun answered the call, “Hello?”

 

“Sorry to keep you waiting, but… you don’t have to wait for me, right? I said it before…” Baekhyun glanced at Chanyeol after hearing the man over the phone talked, “No, I’m not finish yet.”

 

Chanyeol stood from his seat and said in a low voice, “I think we finish talking. I’m going first.”

 

Surprised by Chanyeol’s action, Baekhyun, who still holding his phone, stared at the taller’s back with blank expression. The taller man left the coffee shop without spare a glance at Baekhyun. What made Baekhyun back to reality was Yifan’s voice over the phone. “Ah yes, yes. Then I’ll wait you at the entrance.”

 

 

-----

 

 

Baekhyun made a visit to Jongdae’s house that evening. Facing Jongdae abruptly and releasing his disappointment, anger, sadness to his best friend. Baekhyun clutched onto Jongdae’s shirt collar with his trembling hands, “Why did you never tell me that Chanyeol is in Korea for a year? Why did you never tell me anything about Chanyeol?“

 

Baekhyun weakly slipped his hands off from Jongdae and looked at the said man with a pathetic look. It was drawn on his face that he was crying, and also tired.

 

“I am sorry, Baekhyun. Chanyeol wanted me to keep it as a secret.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m not in the place to say it with my own mouth, you have to ask Chanyeol yourself.”

 

Baekhyun said while wiping his tears, “Right. Where does he live now?”

 

Jongdae was silent, inside his mind, he considered whether to keep silent or break the promise he made with Chanyeol to never tell information about him, especially to Baekhyun.

 

“Jongdae-ah!”

 

“Baekhyun, I promised Chanyeol to never give information about…”

 

Cutting Jongdae’s words, Baekhyun said with angry tone, “I don’t get it. You told me to ask him in person, but you aren’t giving me the way,” Baekhyun glared and made a hard expression, “I don’t know where he is, Jongdae. It’s ing seven years since I saw him. Bull about the promise, just tell me!” Baekhyun was frustrated, he wasn’t aware that he screamed to his best friend.

 

Jongdae bit his bottom lip and gave up, “All right, I write down his address and phone number.”

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

He thought he could go the next day, or the day after tomorrow, perhaps on the next next day after, or… never. For almost one week, Baekhyun was busy with his overtime work until night at office and with his arrangements for the wedding. Anything related to the wedding needed to be checked before the D-day. He also needed to visit Wu’s families as their tradition.   

 

It was near the wedding time. Byun Baekhyun couldn’t be more freak out than this. He wanted to see Chanyeol, ask him why he left and never contact him for seven years. He wanted to, but didn’t have a reason to go out without tell Yifan his real intention. And that day came, Yifan had to go out of town for business. Baekhyun went to Chanyeol’s house or apartment or whatever it was based on the address which Jongdae gave before.

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

It was a bookstore. The building wasn’t big. It was a modern building. It was located in a nice and clean environment. The bookstore itself had a quite large space with big windows in front which meant for the pedestrians or the customers to be able to see the inside of the bookstore. And of course, to highlight the new arrival books on the display. It also meant the extra light for the inside of the building.

 

 

 

-

-

-

-

 

 

 

“So I heard this new librarian is really handsome.”

 

“Yah, Baekhyun, we go to the library looking for books. Besides, where did you hear the rumor? The other students? Oh please, this school is . Nobody is attractive.”

 

“You think so, Jongdae-ah?”

 

Once they entered the library, they were welcomed by a tall librarian who also a student in their school, standing all too friendly with his specs on.

 

Strange, Baekhyun never really see this attractive male student before. Was it because he always in the library, meanwhile Baekhyun and Jongdae weren’t the type to be comfortable in the library reading books? They went to the library just because the teacher asked them to look for the encyclopaedia, but since that day, Baekhyun never missed a single day to visit the library and the librarian on the break time.

 

The name was Park Chanyeol. He volunteered to be librarian only on break times and after school. He was a fun student to talk to and Baekhyun, being the not-really-a-smart student learned much from the other. It helped with his grades too. One year after knowing each other, they agreed to became a couple. The fun fact was they were each other first’s boyfriends. The other fact was Chanyeol never ask someone to be his boyfriend, he just the one who always received the confessions. Hearing the fact, Baekhyun surely was jealous, but never mind because their relationship ran smoothly after Chanyeol confessed to him for the first time. They rarely argued, so that’s why they could last for three years. Or last until Chanyeol was missing.

 

 

 

 

-

-

-

-

 

 

 

 

Byun Baekhyun smiled, knowing the man he loved was always surrounded by books. How charming was that?

 

He walked slowly to the front door of the bookstore, but stopped midway. The red hair man wasn’t alone at that time. There was also a petit man with big-doe eyes looking at Chanyeol with a soft gaze. They were on the cashier table, seemed like discussing something. While the shorter, black hair man, looking at him so lovingly, Chanyeol wasn’t aware and kept signed something on the papers, telling the other to focus and after that they laughed together. Chanyeol caressed the shorter’s hair and shook his head. Chanyeol then went further inside the bookstore, leaving the man alone. After being alone, he unintentionally looked at Baekhyun who looked back at him. He smiled and walked to open the door.

 

“Welcome. Are you looking for a book?”

 

“…”

 

“Come inside. I’m Kyungsoo by the way. You can call me if you don’t find the book you’re looking.”

 

Baekhyun was pulled inside the bookstore by the man named Kyungsoo, but he didn’t say anything. Kyungsoo saw the other’s face clearly and suddenly he remembered the man in front of him.

 

 

 

 

-

-

-

-

 

 

 

 

He once helped Chanyeol tidying his house where was on the second floor of the bookstore. There, Kyungsoo saw a photo album which was very thick, yet didn’t have scratch at all. Seemed like Chanyeol took a good care of the photo album because it was the best looking album among the other old photo albums. Curious to the inside of the album, Kyungsoo opened it just to found many pictures of Chanyeol with the brunette young man. For almost all the pictures he saw, he found that the two spent so much time together. The summer vacations, the high school graduation, the welcoming event for new college students, the winter vacations, every season. Chanyeol wasn’t really smiling like on these pictures for as long as time Kyungsoo remembered. Opening page after page, Kyungsoo stopped at one of the pictures which displayed Chanyeol and the brunette kissing each other on the lips and hugging. The words written below the picture made Kyungsoo jealous.

 

-I’m going to marry this man. Love you, Byun Baekhyun-

 

Yes, Kyungsoo was jealous. He applied the job at the certain bookstore wasn’t only because of his love for books. He could apply at the top companies if he wanted to, but no, once he saw the red-haired man standing inside the bookstore, Kyungsoo walked in and asked for the job there. And it seemed Chanyeol didn’t have anybody as partner at the moment, making Kyungsoo believed that he could someday have the man. But he was worried if the brunette from the pictures came and claimed Chanyeol back.

 

 

 

 

-

-

-

-

 

 

 

 

Seeing the confused-looking man, Kyungsoo smiled at him, “Looking for books or… looking for Chanyeol?”

 

Baekhyun turned around and stared back at Kyungsoo, couldn’t believe the other knew his reason there. Baekhyun just nodded and muttered a soft ‘thank you’.

 

Once Chanyeol walked toward Baekhyun, he slightly surprised by the brunette’s presence. Kyungsoo who walked in front of Chanyeol then turned around to face the taller and said he wanted to go to the fast food restaurant to buy lunch. After Kyungsoo left the bookstore, Baekhyun started to talk to Chanyeol.

 

“Hey again, Chanyeol…”

 

“What do you need? What book?” Chanyeol was walking past Baekhyun and busying himself with books.

 

Baekhyun understood that Chanyeol didn’t want to look at his eyes. He was slowly approaching Chanyeol, but still kept safe distance. “Seven years… I didn’t know where you had gone, I didn’t know who to asked, either about your whereabouts or about your reason leaving me. If it was a family matter, I think I can accept it, but… seven years you never contact me. And I can’t accept it, so I need to know why.”

 

“How’s the wedding preparation going?”

 

“Chanyeol! It’s not the right time to…”

 

“To what? In fact, you will get married one week from now on, just… just forget the past. Just accept the past as it is. And I heard it’s really stressful for the bride/groom-to-be days before the wedding. You’re just stress, tired, and don’t need drama right now. Okay?”

 

“This is really unfair. You’re not fair for keeping me in the dark. I keep questioning why you left me without explanation.”

 

Grimacing, Chanyeol looked at the petit man. He was stunning like before he left him, and although he had an urge to hug the weeping man, he couldn’t do that. He felt guilty. He also had no confidence to hold the brunette. Moreover, he couldn’t do that because he would soon to be other man’s husband. After all, the brunette didn’t need explanation. He didn’t want to make himself look pitiful in Baekhyun’s eyes. He was just a coward for those seven years. Chanyeol didn’t dared hoping anything with the man if he explained his reason. Baekhyun seemed happier with the tall guy he saw at the mall before, why would he tear Baekhyun away from the man he was to marry?

 

On the inside, Chanyeol was in a paradox. A side of him wanted Baekhyun to be by his side, back to where they were seven years ago, yet the one other side didn’t allow him to. He didn’t want to crush the other’s happiness for his own selfishness. And Park Chanyeol couldn’t be a selfish person to his own family, that’s why he obeyed his parents to moved to Japan. He also couldn’t be selfish to the person he loved, to Byun Baekhyun to be exact, that’s why he avoided the man at all cost.

 

“Go home, Baekhyun-ah. I hope your wedding goes well. Once again, congratulation.”

 

“…”

 

“Excuse me, can I ask where to get this book?” A girl, bookstore’s customer, came in between Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Oblivion to the situation, she approached the two after looked for the book on her own. She pushed forward the piece of paper with the name of book inside to Chanyeol.

 

And Byun Baekhyun silently walked out the bookstore. He didn’t look up and just walked while looking only at the pavilions. Almost bump into Kyungsoo who just had arrived from bought his lunch. Seemed like Byun Baekhyun didn’t get what he wanted.

 

-----

 

After his last visit to the bookstore, Baekhyun didn’t lose hope. He tried to call Chanyeol, asked him to meet, but unfortunately, Chanyeol never answered his calls. It meant the other man didn’t want his presence at bookstore or any other places.

 

Since Chanyeol never shown himself in front of Baekhyun for seven years, Baekhyun thought that perhaps Chanyeol already found his own happiness and he wanted to be happy for the man, but his curiosity never left him. He always wondered where was Chanyeol, what was he doing all this time, or just a simple question like, was he alright? He wanted the man whom he loved to be happy, but he got jealous to whoever that becoming the source of Chanyeol’s happiness. With the uncertainty on his heart, Baekhyun just nodded when Wu Yifan, the man who caused Baekhyun got envied by his coworkers almost all the time, proposed to him. He wished for him to get his own happiness with that man, but who was he kidding? When he saw Park Chanyeol at the mall, suddenly the old wish came back alive. He wanted to be with the said man. After all, he loved Park Chanyeol to the point that it hurt when he remembered their memories. He loved the man to the point that he wanted to create the new memories so it wouldn’t hurt when he remembered it later.

 

Yes, he loved Wu Yifan, but never be more than the love he had for Park Chanyeol.

And the days to his wedding with Wu Yifan walked slowly, yet surely approaching.

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

That evening, the rain was falling hard. Tomorrow morning would be his supposed happy day, his wedding day, but here was him, standing outside the bookstore. Baekhyun wanted to come inside and tell the red-haired man that he still loved him, but the closed sign on the door told him otherwise. He didn’t know if Chanyeol was there, moreover Baekhyun didn’t bring his phone so his only choice was waited outside.

 

Baekhyun sighed. After received the phone call from Yifan, told him to sleep early, Byun Baekhyun felt the contrary. He couldn’t sleep at all. He was sitting on his bed, stared at his phone then put the device under his pillow. Contemplating about tomorrow morning, he then stood up and went outside his house. He was thinking of one place at that moment, without cared about the rain, he kept running to that place.

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

Park Chanyeol couldn’t sleep at all. He looked at calendar on the table beside his bed. There was a big red circle for tomorrow’s date, although he remembered deep inside his memory, he still marked the calendar. Chanyeol often wondered if he didn’t go to Japan or if he didn’t close his self to the world at that time, perhaps all these regrets would never appeared. For what happened in the past, Chanyeol understood that he deserved the punishment. Letting Baekhyun go by avoided his calls these past days maybe was the best decision he could make at the time. It was time to let go of the one he loved, unable to hurt Byun Baekhyun even more. One day, Byun Baekhyun would heal from all the heartaches he caused. Someday he would forget about Park Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol glanced at the window then realized the rain didn’t have any intention to stop soon. Unconsciously he found himself standing and looking outside the window. He caught a glimpse of somebody outside his bookstore. Byun Baekhyun? But why? Park Chanyeol ran fast to the front door, but stopped midway before opening the door. It was his greed to hope for Baekhyun to call off the wedding and asked him to be with him. Chanyeol didn’t want to ruin someone else’s happiness. He didn’t want to open the door, yet pitying the brunette who standing in the rain. Grabbing the umbrella, Chanyeol then opened the door and walked toward Baekhyun.

 

“You can’t be sick for your wedding day tomorrow.”

 

Baekhyun looked into Chanyeol’s eyes silently. Chanyeol didn’t know whether Baekhyun’s eyes were wet because of the rain or tears, but he pulled the brunette’s arm and lead him inside his house, the second floor of the bookstore.

 

Throwing a clean towel toward the brunette, Chanyeol then walked to his wardrobe. He brought back his slightly smaller size of hoodie and loose pants with him. He realized Baekhyun just froze on his spot without do anything. “You can be sick like this,” Chanyeol dried Baekhyun’s head with towel tenderly. “I lend you my clothes, after you get changed, I’ll bring you back to your home.”

 

“Chanyeol, I…” Baekhyun was cut off by Chanyeol. The taller pushed him to the bathroom and asked him to change the wet clothes. He didn’t have choice, so Baekhyun obeyed Chanyeol.

 

Once Chanyeol saw Baekhyun came outside the bathroom with a big and loose hoodie, also the pants he had to folded many times, Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s arm, “I’ll drive for you, let’s go home.”

 

Pulled his arm softly, Baekhyun signalled Chanyeol to stop, “Chanyeol, listen, I thought you would never come back, so I made a rush decision, now I regret it. I don’t want to marry Yifan tomorrow. I only love you. Please, Chanyeol-ah…”

 

“It’s eleven o’clock, Baekhyun, help me to help you go back home, okay?”

 

“No. Seven years,” Baekhyun emphasized, “… I thought after you heard about me getting married to someone else, you would tell me you didn’t want that and I would have call it off, yet all you did was congratulate me,” Baekhyun was calming down, “You promised me, Yeol, you promised me that one day you would marry me.”

 

“…”

 

“I can’t sleep because I’m thinking about you…”

 

Catching no ring on Baekhyun’s finger, Chanyeol felt the surge of emotions, but almost all were negative, empty, guilty, and regret, the most he felt was angry to himself, but he swallowed all of those and carefully said, “Let’s go to your house.”

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

The two of them sat silently in the car, leaving the rain sound outside screamed alone.

 

“Where is your house?”

 

“It’s still there. I never move. Chanyeol, I…”

 

“Ssst… just… just shut up.” Chanyeol felt infuriated. Just when would the brunette give up on him?

 

They didn’t talk during the ride. The two arrived at Baekhyun’s house. The inside looked dark because there wasn’t any single light in there. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol for the last minute and opened the passenger door.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Good night.”

 

Chanyeol stared until Baekhyun was inside, but after ten minutes, there still wasn’t a light inside the house. Without him knowing, Baekhyun was behind the door, crying for almost all night.

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

 

Many years past and that hadn’t changed anything. He should have known that Chanyeol was never be the one to ruin someone else’s life. He put aside his selfishness so the other could be happy, even it killed his own happiness. Byun Baekhyun could only sigh. Fidgeting, he played with lower end of his white tuxedo, making it crumpled. Unsatisfied with his action, he started to rolled his engagement ring, put it on and off his finger repeatedly. He was bored waiting alone in that room. Everything was white and Baekhyun was sick of it. Suddenly he heard a soft knock on the door. Yifan had stuck his head inside, smiling all too bright, “Hello there.”

 

“Yifan... You can’t see me before the wedding. The tradition, you’ll have bad luck if you see me now.”

 

“I guess. I can’t help but to check in on you. This morning you came with visible dark circles under your eyes, I’m worried, but… well, I should go.”

 

“…”

 

Not getting a response, Yifan came back to the room, “Something bothers you?”

 

Baekhyun looked into Yifan’s eyes, tried smiling happily with the wedding. But the smile slowly disappeared, “Yifan…” Baekhyun knew he never really loved the man in front of him, “I am sorry.”

 

“For what?”

 

“… I want to stop pretending to be happy right now, I’m sorry that I…”

 

“I know.”

 

Baekhyun raised his head, didn’t understand the situation. Yifan then squatted in front of the sitting Baekhyun, “Park Chanyeol is back, right?”

 

“How… but, how do you know about him?”

 

“It’s really difficult not to know him when almost all of things inside your house screaming the other man’s name. There were shirts and clothes sized bigger than your own, the photo albums, too many,” Yifan threw a sad smile, “I know you’re still waiting for him and tying you with this ring is really selfish.” Yifan hold Baekhyun’s hand and carefully slipped off the ring. “You can go. I’ll explain to our parents.”

 

“I am sorry…”

 

“It’s better now than never. Go.”

 

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

 

 

Running in the morning with white tuxedo was a really strange view, but put aside all the stares he got, Baekhyun stood outside the certain bookstore. He didn’t know why he kept trying to make Chanyeol understand his heart. But looking at the visible cashier table inside the bookstore, Baekhyun remembered Kyungsoo.

 

‘Who is he? After too busy with my own matter, I never questioning Chanyeol’s relationship with the doe-eyed employee. What if all of these times Chanyeol already found someone he loves? Are they in that kind of relationship?’

 

Slowly Baekhyun walked backwards. He was hesitant. ‘I should go home…’

 

“Byun Baekhyun-sshi?”

 

“Kyungsoo-sshi?”

 

Looking at the brunette, all white from head-to-toe, Kyungsoo wasn’t sure how to react to the supposed married man that morning, “What are you doing here?”

 

“I think, I’m daydreaming. I’m going now.”

 

“Wait. You didn’t go to your own wedding?”

 

“How do you know about my wedding… Nevermind… I’m sorry,” Baekhyun bowed to the other man and wanted to run away from there, but he felt a strong grip on his arm. He turned around and found Kyungsoo was holding him.

 

“You came all the way here and decided to run away? Don’t you suppose to meet the man who is the reason why you called off the wedding?”

 

“Kyungsoo-sshi, I think you are Chanyeol’s boyfr…”

 

“I wish, but no. Chanyeol never looked at me or any other men or women for all the times I’ve knew him. I guess you’re lucky,” Kyungsoo smiled and intended to open the front door of the bookstore, before suddenly the door swung open.

 

“… Baekhyun? How? But… You…” Chanyeol was too surprised to even comprehend a sentence.

 

Raising his hands with no more ring, Baekhyun said, “I called it off and ran all the way here just to meet you. I guess I deserve a present.”

 

Without a word, Chanyeol hugged Baekhyun tightly. He would never let go of this man and he could start hoping again to fulfil his promise like many years before. He promised the brunette that he would marry him someday.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m such an idiot,” Chanyeol whispered.

 

“I thought you were smart back in the high school. You idiot, but it’s okay. At least, I changed to be smarter than you for this matter.”

 

 

 

A/N :

The story I made while listening to duet song of Park Chanyeol and Kim Jongdae, If We Love Again.

And please don’t imagine Wu Yifan as Galaxy Hyung like my friend did, but as a cool city guy. Kekeke. Until then, enjoy ^^