One

Secret Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I shrieked looking at the text I just got attracting a number of eyes around me in the cafe. I smiled and bowed apologizing, quickly making my exit outside.I jumped in frustration kicking a few boards outside the parking lot while I made my way to my car to call my best friend who sent me a message that pissed me off. “What the lee sungjong?” I screamed fuming up. I’m met with loud laughter which makes me even angrier. “What? You were the one who asked me for a job!” sungjong replied coolly “given that you have an amazing resume who wouldn’t accept you boo” he said calm unlike the fire-spitting me.

 “Well, I did BUT NOT IN YOUR COMPANY” I shouted again. “Woah calm down, it’s just an interview why are you making a huge fuss about it. You can as well turn down the offer if you don’t like it” he said sounding annoyed with my whines. “I hate you” I hung up the phone not wanting to hear anymore. Sighing deeply I drove back and dropped dead on my bed not wanting to think any more about today.

Sun rays fall through my window; I opened my eyes slowly feeling like a movie. But reality struck when my phone buzzed.“Is it Lee dayeon-ssi?” a female voice came from the other side. 

“Speaking” 

 “You have been scheduled for an interview with us for an internship in the marketing department, we would like to have it tomorrow at 11 am” she said in a demanding voice. 

Truthfully she sounded scary so I replied “Yes of course I will be there” in a small but audible voice. She hung the phone after confirming a few more details. I threw my phone on my couch and swore till my head felt light. I really can’t do this. I would rather work for my current employer who specializes on nose-picking than marketing, since at least I get some peace in here while he digs his nose for gold as long as he doesn’t touch me. But how am I supposed to work for an entertainment company with my best friend and him.

Sungjong and Dayeon have been best friends since they were babies, literally. Even after rising to fame by debuting in an idol group called “infinite” sungjong never forgot her. He made sure of that, you can say. Ever since he’s been popular dayeon made sure not to ask help from him even though he insisted many times. Though they couldn’t meet often like they used to, sungjong would keep in touch with her through phone or something, he made it a habit.

This was probably the first time she ever asked him to find a job since her current one with nose digging people made her sick and it was getting difficult to change jobs since her manager had contacts in almost all the firms she went, so she couldn’t tell them a proper reason for quitting her previous job. She obviously couldn’t whistle blow her manager’s disgusting habit. She was in dire need to change her job and asked him being the last resort. Instead put her into big trouble.

Dayeon likes everything simple be it her clothes or the food she eats, it’s out of modesty she does it. But just that extravagant or luxurious stuff doesn’t excite her, sungjong being her only exception on this part. 

So I finally revived from all the shock and anger deciding to give this a shot, I took a nice long bath and opened my closet looking for something decent to wear for my interview tomorrow. All I could see was ripped jean strewn over on all racks, shirts some crushed to a ball, some folded, some I don’t even know what it is. Clutching my hair I sat down having a mental breakdown. My phone rings and I see that little devil calling me. “What” I scowled. “I’ve sent you something; wear it for tomorrow’s interview. I’m not taking no for an answer. Bye, I have practice” he rapped literally and hangs up leaving me dazed. Now I hear the bell ring, I go and bring inside this huge box with a lemon sticker on top of it.

“I’m getting into deep deathly ” I murmur slowly opening the box. And give out a shriek. “OH MY GOD IT’S A ING DRESS” I shout horrified picking it up. I’ve never worn a dress, ever in my oh-so-boring life. I’m clearly done for; Satan sent me one of his devils in disguise as my best friend. It came along with a pair of wedges and a small purse with a card saying “I’m so looking forward to see you in a dress” subtext he wants me to make a fool of myself, fantastic. I never knew I had such a generous best friend. Rest of the day I spent texting sungjong of how many ways I want to kill him and WAIL looking at that dress. He replies with an address to salon and asked me to do something on me before coming to his company. I told myself through the mirror "I’m not doing any of these crap tomorrow and continue my job with that disgusting nose digger".

But guess what, I find myself standing inside the said salon all groomed up looking hideous in the beautiful dress that was sent, I would be lying if I said the dress wasn’t pretty because it was but just, but not on me.

I took a taxi to the company, the taxi driver added to my misery continuously talking the whole ride. I didn’t want to shut him up since he looked like nice lad. On a normal day I would have along with him, but certainly not today.

So here I am standing before the receptionist who called me yesterday, I recognized her voice from the call yesterday. She led to me to a room which has a nice couch and a mahogany tea table. I slapped myself inside to not let my head wander around. Mahogany or not isn’t ing important. Why am I so miserable? While I was still pondering and calling dibs on whether I’ll survive after this interview I didn’t hear someone coming in until they called out my name, honestly I don’t know many times he did. I stood up flustered, apologizing continuously until he raised his hand to stop.

“Would you like anything to drink dayeon-ssi?” the middle-aged man who came in asked. “Water please” I replied forcing a smile. He nodded and called someone in to bring us a bottle each. He settled on the seat opposite to me, with a file in hand. Probably with my resume and details, looking up studying me. It felt really uncomfortable to be stared like that; I clasped my hand and kept reminding myself not to pass out pathetically.

The next hour went by the marketing director, he told that himself discussing about me and the job. My tongue got tied when he asked if I was accepting. I only smiled nodding more; my cheeks were starting to hurt like someone had been holding them up in the air for a loooong time. I kept nodding to whatever he said; he took that as a positive sign and continued flaunting about the company. Finally he stood up, I followed. He said “So I can expect you to join tomorrow now that we have gone through all the terms about your internship with us”. I smiled nodding again with a few yes and definitelys. He shook my hand flashing a smile “Welcome to woollim dayeon-ssi I will meet you at ten tomorrow” and walked outside the room leaving me frozen. I was standing there like statue with cheeks still up high till the receptionist from earlier came back shaking my hand to get me back to the world. I asked her where the loo was and rushed there.

Once in, I checked if all the stalls were empty and shouted letting out everything from within splashing cold water fiercely on my face. my life, literally. I slowly made my way outside when I bumped into someone who came from the men’s door. I said “sorry” not even looking up and was about to leave thinking of ways to kill me this time since i was being generous to all his fangirls and blame sungjong for it.

“Da yeon?” said a voice I’ve been dreading not to hear. Why him? Why now? I cursed under my breath. Of course I know who it was; Lee howon the person I’ve been avoiding all this while thanks to sungjong, if only I had my mouth shut when I was drunk we would have remained friends till now. I wanted to keep walking away pretending not to hear but he called me again. I turned and walked towards him sighing internally, preparing myself with the possibility of this encounter to turn dirty.

He smiled, he ing smiled at me, and I was at loss here since I found myself smiling back. Did he possibly have a memory loss? Or am I dreaming?

“So did you get the job?” he spoke first breaking the silence, “UH?” I said doubting myself if I heard him properly. He repeated himself for me, “Oh yes I did, you knew?” I asked him the obvious. He laughed, punching me lightly on the arm congratulating, saying it was that brat between his laugh. I stood there frozen not knowing how to react. I was figuring to say something when I heard someone shout my name loudly, I turned to see the little devil who put me in all this mess. I ran up to him choking him cursing out loud. Thankfully no one except howon was around; he came laughing pulling sungjong away from me, more like saving him from getting killed by me.

I finally calmed down while they took me to the nearby practice room and brought in chairs to sit. We were waiting awkwardly, for sungjong who ran somewhere to get his phone.

I still was in confusion of how howon could act normally to me after what I said to him. This was our first encounter after what I did. It was going shockingly calm making me even more tensed. He was engrossed in his phone while I broke cold sweat and stealing glances at him praying sungjong would come soon. Was he plotting his revenge silently?

Finally sungjong barged in patting hard, howon threw a bottle at him asking him to sit. Both of them settled on the floor by the speakers. I looked like an idiot sitting on the chair. So I slowly slipped and sat down. Silenced drowned us again, even my t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter