I - Escape

Microne: The Hunter and Hunted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Go, go, just keep running,” Nayoung commanded and had Yeonjung over her shoulders as she helps the latter over the high ground that is making their escape difficult.

 

“Come on Yeonjung, pull her up.” Sejeong and Doyeon stood above the ground, grabbing hold of the Yeonjung’s hand as she was being raised by Nayoung.

 

As the last to be hauled up to the higher ground, Nayoung only sees Yeonjung, Sejeong, and Doyeon with her. The rest have gone ahead into the woods that was in front of them.

 

“Chungha said that they will only head straight until we catch up with them.” Sejeong pointed the direction that the rest had taken. Nodding, Nayoung took the lead as the four join the rest in the woods.

 

Locked up in the research center after getting shot, Nayoung met ten other girls in the place, using the same living quarter. Besides the eleven of them that shared the same living quarter, they knew the existence of others in another one or two living quarter.

 

All the girls are the same as Nayoung, they were once a normal girl, with great dreams and future. But now, they are a microne, locked up in an unknown research center without daylight, had a sad job of being the lab rat, developing abilities of their own.

 

And for the two that had their abilities developed and capable of controlling it, they have met with the others regularly during their training session. With this, the two lucky ones who are capable of controlling their power are Nayoung and Sohye. Some of the girls had some control over their powers but it could go out of control anytime. The girls do not only train for their own abilities and power but also some basic combat skills, since certain abilities do not seem to be suitable for fights.

 

Nayoung, Chungha, and Sejeong were the first few girls in the living quarter, and coincidentally, they are also the older ones in there. They took up the role of taking care of the younger ones.

 

As for the escape today. It was pre-planned by all the micrones in the research center. Nayoung and Sohye managed to speak to the others and convince them regarding the escape. They needed help, a diversion, which allows them to escape while the attention is not on them.

 

Convinced, the other girls stage a play in their living quarter, which really caught the attention of the researchers and the security. Making use of their chance, the eleven manage to knock out the guards outside their living quarter and make their escape. But their main motive is not only making successful attempts to leave. They also want to remember the place and come back for the others, as promised.

 

All of them were being blindfolded and guided as they traveled in the research center, thus as they made their way along the corridors, they have no idea which way to go. And they decided to make their way through the building in their own way.

 

With Mina enhancing Chungha’s abilities, the latter managed to break through the layered wall with her fist. Which then later brings all of them where they are right now.

 

The research center is built at a lower ground level, with the high ground at the surrounding to serve as a line of natural prevention of escape.

 

“This is too big.” Chaeyeon panted as she set herself next to a tree, they had been running straight continuously for probably half an hour, until Chungha decided they are far enough to take a short break to wait for the others to catch up.

 

“Just try out any route and remember it.” Chungha remained standing in the group as the rest of the younger members were all on the ground panting. Looking around in the woods, besides trees, there are only trees, the is no sign of them getting out of this place soon.

 

“Let’s wait awhile, the rest of them are not even in sight.” Kyulkyung nodded as she hands over a small drinking bottle that she brought out with her.

 

“Mina are you alright?” Chungha remembered that this girl had tripped over the roots of the trees a while ago, which is also a reason that she decided that they should stop for a rest.

 

“I think I sprained my ankle.”

 

“Let me take a look.” Chaeyeon got up and went over to Mina. Removing her shoe and socks on the left, it reveals a slight bump around the latter ankle.

 

“Ah!” The moment Chaeyeon tried shifting her ankle for a check, Mina let out a small cry and tried to swallow the pain that she felt

 

“No good, it’s swollen now. She can’t continue running like this.” Chaeyeon looked at Chungha worriedly, having an injured member during this time is not a good thing to have.

 

“Nayoung unnie, over here.” Catching a glimpse of four figure running towards the group, Yoojung got up and wave to them.

 

“What’s wrong? We can’t stop here.” Sejeong pants as she looks at everyone's worried expression.

 

“Mina sprained her ankle,” Chungha exclaimed. The four then turn their attention towards the girl, and sees Chaeyeon with her small first aid pack opened and giving Mina’s ankle a simple wrapped to secure it.

 

“Just go on without me, we have made it this far, at least one of us should escape.” Mina silently sob as she speaks, she does not want to be a burden to the group and with her ankle sprained, there is no way for her to travel further.

 

“What nonsense are you talking about?” Sohye eyes widen at Mina’s decision, immediately rejecting the idea.

 

“Yeah, we won’t leave you here, it’s too dangerous.” Doyeon chorus.

 

“I can carry her on my back. We could keep going at this rate.” Sohye looks at their leader and the older members who had been keeping their silence for awhile.

 

“Nayoung unnie?” Kyulkyung placed her hand over the older shoulder, hoping that she is not zoning out at such timing, and she is sure that it is definitely not the case.

 

“Doyeon, how many replicas can you make right now?” Nayoung asked.

 

“Huh? Ermm… probably 3?” Doyen was puzzled by such a sudden and random question.

 

“Summon your replicas and let them go in opposite directions to attract the hunter’s attention.” Receiving a nod from Doyeon, the younger emits a white glow around her whole body. Three Doyeon’s replicas pop out from her back, like a trained military all three nodded to Nayoung as they depart, heading towards different directions.

 

“Chungha, Sejeong and Sohye go ahead and check out the route.” Nayoung continues, pointing towards the direction that they are going.

 

Taking the lead, Chungha and Sejeong got up from the ground. Sejeong gave Nayoung a trusting smile and reached out her hand to Sohye, where the latter hesitated a bit before grabbing her hand.

 

“What about Mina?” Chaeyeon got up with her first aid packed and sling around her shoulder.

 

“I’ll carry her. Let’s go, they are catching up and the replicas will not hold them for much time.” Nayoung said, squatting down with her back facing Mina.

 

With the help of Chaeyeon, Mina got onto Nayoung’s back and the group started to run towards the direction the three others have gone.


 

 

“Argh.” Doyeon felt a twinge in her heart as she stumbles in the woods. Luckily, Yeonjung and Yoojung who were next to her caught her before she fell.

 

“They got them.” Doyeon turned and look at Nayoung. Whenever her duplicates were ‘killed’ or ‘destroyed’, she will fell that tinge of pain in her heart, after all, the duplicate are also part of her.

 

“Keep on running. Somi, tak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter