Little by Little

Jealous

Vernon woke up. He badly needed to pee. He took out his cellphone from underneath his pillow and squinted as the bright light shone on his eyes. It was still dawn, too early to be up. He drags himself off the bed and heads to the bathroom. As soon as he was done, he washed his hands and was about to head into the bedroom when, in the corner of his eye, he saw light coming out from the kitchen. He digs his hands in the pocket of his sweat pants and quietly walks to the kitchen. There, he saw a slumped figure sitting on a chair with a cup in his hands. The boy’s hair was disheveled and it brought a smile to Vernon’s face. He badly wanted to ruffle it like a cat’s fur.

“Hey.” He gently says, standing beside the boy. Seungkwan looks up, a sullen mood on his face. Vernon slips his fingers through Seungkwan’s nest of hair and sits beside him. “What’s up?” It was a pleasant moment. They had been busy ever since Seungkwan slept on his bed, so Vernon was glad that this opportunity came up.

Seungkwan looks at the cup of warm chocolate in between his hands. He gives out a sigh. “Just…”

“Is it the radio show?” Vernon interrupts.

Seungkwan pouts and slowly nods. He loved being on Kiss the Radio. It was an exciting venture but he was first and foremost a singer, not a radio host. They were going to have their very first concert and he was most excited to prepare for it, but it was just sad to part with the radio show which he had just started to get accustomed to being part of his routine. “I…”

Vernon places his hand on one of Seungkwan’s hands, taking it away from the warm cup. He squeezes it and looks at him. “You’ll get another chance, I’m sure.” He removes his hand, moving it to wrap around Seungkwan, pulling him close into a side hug.

Seungkwan’s head gently lands on Vernon’s chest. Seungkwan takes a deep breath, holding his tears in.

Vernon hugs him tighter, putting his other arm around the boy. He Seungkwan’s hair.

Seungkwan sobs, clutching onto Vernon’s shirt. His tears leaving a wet mark on the boy’s shirt.

After a moment, when Seungkwan’s sobbing died down, Vernon places his hands on Seungkwan’s shoulders. He gently pushes him away from him so he can see him clearly. “You’ve worked hard, Boo. You did really well.” He cups his face, wiping the tears away with his fingers. “That’s enough, okay?” He says, his heart breaking at the site of his best friend crying.

Seungkwan nods, a pout on his lips.

A small smile forms at the corner of Vernon’s lips. There’s nothing he adored more than seeing Seungkwan work so hard for something. His heart ached. He is welled up in emotion and he felt like his love for his best friend was spilling over, his poor heart no longer able to contain it. He leans in closer, his face only a few centimeters from the other. He puckers up his lips and inches in, his lips landing on Seungkwan’s forehead. He then smiles, looking at Seungkwan fondly, the boy’s expression surprised.

Seungkwan puts a hand on his forehead and looks at Vernon. “D-did you just…” A flush creeps on Seungkwan’s cheeks.

Vernon blushes, but grins proudly. “I did. Why? Can’t I?”

“C-can’t you?” Seungkwan stammers.

“Why? You don’t like it?” Vernon teases. He nervously eyes Seungkwan’s expression.

“I…It’s not that I don’t like it….” Seungkwan blushes, looking away from Vernon’s gaze.

Vernon grins. “So you like it.” He places his hands on Seungkwan’s shoulder.

Seungkwan blinks. “Y-yah! What is it now?” He looks at Vernon anxiously.

Vernon beams, his white teeth showing. He playfully moves his face closer to Seungkwan’s. Then, when his nose was only a breath away from touching the tip of Seungkwan’s nose, he bites his lower lip.

Seungkwan’s eyes widen and he quickly shuts them, moving his head farther from Vernon’s face.

Vernon cackles. “I’m just playing, Boo.” He stands and ruffles Seungkwan’s hair. “Go back to bed soon. We still have practice tomorrow.”

Seungkwan looks at Vernon’s figure walking on the hallway. That last bit was not necessary, but what Vernon said really made him feel better. He felt melancholic after returning home from their last recording so he couldn’t sleep. He thought a cup of hot chocolate would be enough to ease his thoughts, so he came out to the kitchen expecting nothing. And then Vernon just popped out of the blue like he knew he needed him. Seungkwan’s thoughts race in his head. His heart aches, an overwhelming emotion of appreciation bursts in his chest. He quickly stands and rushes to Vernon, hugging him just as the other reached the door to his bedroom.

Vernon stops in his tracks. Stunned at Seungkwan’s actions.

Seungkwan places his forehead on Vernon’s back. “Hansol-ah.” He clasps his hands, still wrapped on Vernon’s waist. “Thank you.”

Vernon holds Seungkwan’s hands and pulls them apart from the other, turning around to face him. He gently releases Seungkwan’s hands on his sides and looks at him, the boy’s head looking down, probably embarrassed. He moves his hands, trembling, to Seungkwan’s face, lifting them so he’d look at him.

Vernon’s hands are warm on Seungkwan’s cheeks. He swallows, a nervous bubble going down his throat. He lifts his head as Vernon tilts it up to face him. His eyes slowly look at the boy, trying to focus on something else other than his eyes. Vernon’s eyes were too much. If he looked at him now, he’d  swallow him whole. He takes a deep breath, his eyes wavering from the boy’s nose to his eyebrows and forehead.

“Seungkwan-ah.” Vernon says after a moment of staring at him. “Look at me.”

“I-I am.” Seungkwan spouts a lie. He focuses on Vernon’s eyebrows.

Vernon smirks. “You’re not. Look me in the eyes.”

Seungkwan sighs. He pushes Vernon’s hands away from his face. “Why do I have to do that?” He spats at Vernon, annoyed that the boy was making him nervous.

Vernon’s hands were hot. He didn’t expect Seungkwan to react this way. “I-I’m sorry.” He looks at Seungkwan’s expression, his lips thin and his eyebrows raised. He’s annoyed. He thought. “W-was I too much?” He stutters. He didn’t mean to annoy him.

Seungkwan nods. He lets out an annoyed sigh.

“I’m sorry.” Vernon quickly grabs Seungkwan’s hand. “I couldn’t help it.”

“What…do you mean?” Seungkwan asks, suddenly curious. Vernon’s hand, still grasping his.

Vernon rubs his neck. “Do I really have to say it?” He looks at Seungkwan, the thumping in his chest almost deafening. Seungkwan’s wide eyes wait in anticipation, his lips almost in a pout. His eyebrows no longer raised in annoyance but raised in curiosity. Vernon takes a deep breath. “I…when I’m with you…I just…I just can’t help but do these things.” He takes another deep breath, carefully observing Seungkwan’s expression. “I...” He covers his face with his free hand, embarrassed. “I’m sorry. I thought you’d be okay with it.”

 “Vernonnie…” Seungkwan pulls down Vernon’s hand so he could see his face. “What were you trying to do anyway? Why were you holding my face so close?”

“N-nothing.” Vernon combs his hair back with his fingers. “You do that to me all the time. So why can’t I do it to you?”

“Y-you can…I was just surprised.” Seungkwan pouts cutely. “Sorry I snapped.”

Vernon nods. “I’m sorry, too.”

Seungkwan nods. He looks at Vernon, the boy nibbling on the bits of dry skin on his lips. When Vernon had him so close, it felt like he was about to do something they’d never done before. Seungkwan was sure if he allowed Vernon to do as he pleases, it might change what they have now. A change for the better…or worse. He wasn’t ready for that. It was too risky, too uncertain. He didn’t think he had the strength to deal with such a change. Not right now.

They stand in silence. Vernon nibbles on the bits of dry skin on his lips. He glances at Seungkwan. Does he really not know what I was going to do? Is he just playing dumb? To Vernon, it was pretty obvious. Anyone would have guessed that he meant to…go beyond. He pouts, a frown starting to form on his lips. Am I the only one? Is this one sided? Vernon opens his mouth. “Seungkwan…” He says, voice a bit shaky, nervous for what he’s about to ask.

“Hansol…not yet, okay?” Seungkwan interrupts. He places a gentle hand on Vernon’s. “Good night.” He gives his hand a tender squeeze and leaves the boy alone in the hallway, hiding behind the bedroom door.

Hansol. Vernon echoes. Seungkwan only ever uses his first name when he’s serious. He sighs and looks at the direction of Seungkwan’s bedroom, the door closing with a quiet click. At least he didn’t completely deny me. Not yet. That’s good enough. He thought as he enters his bedroom and slips under the covers, hiding his disappointment.

 

---

Here's the next chapter! I'm sorry it took so long! I've been starved of inspiration, so I've been frantically filling up my lovey dovey meter with kdramas. Are you guys watching Sweet Stranger and Me? If you aren't, then please watch it! It's so nice. One of the OST, Slowly, Little by Little, is where I got the inspiration for the title of this chapter. If you read the lyrics, that's basically what you can expect from this fanfic, so I hope that's okay. :) Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Let me know your thoughts! As always, thank you all so much for showing interest in this fanfic. I appreciate all your comments. 'Til the next chapter! :*