Jealous

Jealous

Seungkwan woke up and groggily walked out to the bathroom. It was going to be another busy day, so he made sure to be extra early so he can take a bath before his older roommate, Joshua, hogged the bathroom once again. He looked at the mirror and rubbed his eyes awake. He reached for his toothbrush, yawning as he squeezed out the right amount of toothpaste. The door suddenly pushed open and a disheveled blond hair popped out. It was Vernon.

“You scared me!” Seungkwan said, almost dropping his toothbrush.

“Oh. You’re getting ready?” Vernon asked, going in the bathroom with him.

“Mmm.” Seungkwan the faucet and let water flow on his toothbrush. Vernon made his way into the bathroom. Their cheeks slightly grazing as he headed for the toilet.

“Vernonnie, why are you awake so early?” Seungkwan started brushing his teeth and purposely faced the door, hearing Vernon’s morning pee splatter the toilet.

Vernon looked at the ceiling and yawned. He listened to his pee echo in the bathroom and looked at Seungkwan who still had his back turned to him. “Everyone’s already up so I might as well wake up, too.” He tucked in in his pajamas and scooted over to Seungkwan to wash his hands. “Can I have some of your toothpaste? I’ll just get my brush.”

Seungkwan nods and finishes up with his brushing. He leaves the toothpaste on the sink and gets ready to take a bath. Seungkwan is already in the shower when Vernon gets back. “Seungkwan, you there?”  

“Mmm. Can you put my toothpaste back in the pouch when you’re done?”

“Ah I got some from Minghao-hyung. I forgot I was sharing with him.”

“Oh. Okay. Just leave it there then.” Seungkwan said, realizing that this is one of the things he won’t be able to share with Vernon, now that they don’t share the same room. It’s been a while since they weren’t roommates, but he guesses he just misses the constant presence of the other and perhaps he misses being able to do things for him.

The start of the day went by quickly and everyone is ready to head out to the practice room. They start walking to the office. Seungkwan trails behind the other members and sees Minghao holding on to a hoodie which looks like Vernon’s. “Hyung, isn’t that Vernon’s?” Seungkwan asks, pointing to the yellow hoodie with printed pink donuts.

“Ah. Yeah.” He scans for Vernon. “Vernon-ah. Here’s your hoodie.” He gives it to him and puts his arm on his shoulder.

“Thanks, hyung!” Vernon puts on his hoodie and happily chats away with Minghao and the other members.

Seungkwan can’t believe he felt a bit jealous over the kind and caring act his hyung did to Vernon. What’s wrong with me? He thought. Minghao was one of the most caring members and it was only natural for him to do kind gestures to Vernon, a dongsaeng and his roommate. Seungkwan felt bad for feeling jealous and for thinking that his hyung did something he shouldn’t have. This put Seungkwan in a bad mood.

After practice, Seungkwan decided to go through all their previous broadcasts to monitor their performance in interviews and during their interactions with fans during V Live. He set his laptop on a table and began watching the videos with headphones on. He wrote on a piece of paper what they needed to improve and what parts he found boring. Then, he suddenly noticed that for the recent broadcasts, Minghao and Vernon either sat beside each other or stood next to the other. He couldn’t help but feel jealous again. He replayed their interactions during one of their V Live broadcasts and pouted. He sighed and told himself that perhaps it couldn’t be helped that Vernon didn’t sit beside him during those times because he had to host the shows so he had to be in front all the time. He sighed again and pouted even more, pausing the video at the exact time Vernon had his arm on Minghao’s shoulder.

“What’s up?” A familiar voice asked. His hand on the table and the other on the back of the chair Seungkwan was sitting on. Seungkwan looked up and it was Vernon.

“I’m monitoring.” He said, quickly playing the video and pretending to think of something to write as notes.

“Are we doing bad?” He looked at the video. Then at Seungkwan. “You don’t look so pleased.”

“Oh we’re doing fine. Definitely better than when it was our first time broadcasting. Do you remember all those awkward times when we didn’t know what to say and how to make the show interesting? Now, we’re doing good. There aren’t any dull moments during broadcast anymore.” Seungkwan observed.

Vernon smiled. “Oh that’s good.” He patted Seungkwan on the back. “We’re doing well because of your directing.” He gave him a toothy grin.

“Ah. Yeah. Thanks.” He gave him a weak smile.

“So what’s up?” Vernon asked again, his eyes looking at Seungkwan.

“Hm? What do you mean?” Seungkwan looked at Vernon, noticing the concern in his eyes and hoping his best friend would just let his sullen mood go.

“It’s just…. something seems to be bothering you.”

Seungkwan was silent for a moment. That’s Vernon for you. Always noticing the littlest change in his mood. He didn’t know if it was his place to say or if he even had the right to say anything. But he said it, anyway. He knew he wouldn’t be able to keep up a good mood and keep the team motivated if he had these thoughts. “You seem to be really close with Minghao hyung these days.”

“Yeah. He’s a really cool hyung. And I’m helping him with his rap right now.” He observes Seungkwan’s expression. “What about it?” He pulls up a chair and sits beside his best friend.

“Oh it’s nothing. I guess I’m just glad that you’re close with the other members now, too. During the predebut days, you weren’t as close to anyone as you were with me. So it’s nice to see you opening up to the others as well.” Seungkwan managed a smile.

“And?” He waited for Seungkwan to continue. “Why would that make you sad?”

Seungkwan’s eyebrows furrow. “I’m not sad.”

“You aren’t?” Vernon poked Seungkwan’s cheek with his index finger. “Then why are you so pouty?” He teased, a smile forming on his lips.

Seungkwan didn’t really feel like he had to reveal what he’s feeling right now, so he glared at Vernon. “Ugh. Go. Go away.” He said, shooing him away with his hands.

Vernon chuckled and got up from his seat. He put his hand on Seungkwan’s back. “Let’s hang out after practice is over. I miss hanging out with you, too.” He grinned and ruffled Seungkwan’s hair.

Seungkwan looked at him and smiled. “Yeah. I’d like that.”

 

----

First fanfic ever! I hope it was okay. Please let me know what needs improvement. Thanks! :)