Just Us

Jealous

Seungkwan couldn’t help but feel happy with Vernon’s little promise, giving him something to look forward to at the end of their seemingly endless practice sessions.

During the last push of their practice for the day, Seungkwan noticed that Vernon was being close to Minghao. Again. And too close for his liking. He not only willingly put his hands on his shoulders, but when Minghao talked, he even looked at him with that Vernon-stare he used to only do with him. Seungkwan couldn’t believe what he was seeing so he spun around and faced the mirror, telling himself to focus on the practice. Much to his displeasure, he could still clearly see the reflection of the two boys on the mirror. He frowns and exhales like all the jealousy from him could get expelled but he stops midway when in the middle of their chatter, he sees Minghao reaching his hand over to Vernon’s face. He gently picks out something on Vernon’s cheek. It probably didn’t mean anything to Minghao because that’s just how he is with the members, but Seungkwan’s eyes widened when he saw a big grin plastered on Vernon’s face. Seungkwan was seething, annoyed, and angry with himself for feeling jealous over a simple kind gesture this particular hyung is doing to his best friend.

“Everyone!” Seungkwan suddenly shouts, catching the attention of all the members, including Vernon and Minghao. He didn’t think his voice was going to be so loud that everyone would look at him, so Seungkwan swore internally. ! What was he going to say next? He had to think of something or else everyone will think he’s weird.

Silence filled the practice room. The members were waiting for him to continue just like how they usually would when he hosted their shows. They were always so attentive to whatever he said, so he should have expected as much. His throat is suddenly dry from the unwanted attention and Seungkwan wished he didn’t have such presence in their group. “I’m thirsty! Does anyone want anything? I’m going to buy something to drink from the convenience store.” He managed to say, smiling like he meant it.

“Really?” Hoshi smiled and walked up to him. “Seungkwan-ah, you always have such good sense!” He reaches his hand out for their classic you-did-good handshake.

He complies with the handshake and cockily says “Of course, hyung. This is me we’re talking about.”

“Seungkwan, are you really buying?” Dokyeom approaches them.

“Yeah!” Seungkwan thought he was crazy. How could he even think of this of all things? He knew it better than anyone else that s loved getting free stuff.

“Then, I’ll go with you.” Vernon offers, suddenly standing beside Seungkwan.

Of course Vernon would go with him. His best friend was like a magnet to food. Was that why he said that? Seungkwan thought. Did he subconsciously say that because he knew that was the safest way to separate Vernon from Minghao? Seungkwan was shocked at what he just did. When did he become so desperate? He puts his palm on his face. I must be going crazy.

Vernon sees his best friend’s face palm and cackles. “Are you regretting your decision right now?”

“No way. You can’t take back what you said. Seungkwan, you’re buying, ok?” Mingyu said, patting Seungkwan’s shoulders.

“Yeah, yeah.” Seungkwan takes out his cellphone and begins to list what the members want. He was definitely regretting what he just blurted out but this is what he gets for being greedy. Greedy? I’m being greedy? What for? Why? Seungkwan was lost in his thoughts as he walked out of the practice room, wallet and cellphone in hand. Vernon followed him out and they walked in silence for a while.

The night was starting to get chilly and the air faintly smelled of autumn. Vernon dug his hands in his pockets and looked up at the dark sky, stars barely visible with the bright lights from the city. There weren’t as much people walking around, so it was nice and quiet in their neighborhood. He smiled, enjoying the silence, even for just a little while. They’ve been busy ever since they debuted and he appreciated quiet nights like this. He looked at the boy walking beside him and realized it’s been a while since they last spent time together. Just the two of them. “Seungkwan.” He said. He waited for him to respond. “Hey, Boo.” He bumped his shoulder on Seungkwan’s shoulder.

“Hm?” Seungkwan was taken out of his thoughts. He glanced beside him and wondered why Vernon was there. He looked at his phone and remembered he was out to get drinks for the members, his great idea because he was being greedy over Vernon. He can’t believe he actually admitted that to himself. He ruffles his hair, grunts, and slaps his face in frustration.

“Whoa.” Vernon saw Seungkwan do something straight out of a K-drama. “Something wrong? In dramas, characters do that when they’re thinking of something crazy. Are you thinking of something crazy?” He inquires, eyes focused on the boy.

Seungkwan almost forgot he was with Vernon. Vernon, the person who could read him like an open book. He swallows and straightens his hair, regaining his composure. Luckily, the convenience store is right in front of them. “Oh we’re here!” he quickly brushes off Vernon’s question and focuses on getting the drinks on his list.

Vernon smirks and becomes more curious about his best friend’s behavior. It wasn’t the first time Seungkwan brushed off a question, but it was the first time he saw Seungkwan slap his face and grunt like he was forcing himself to forget a crazy idea. A crazy idea that he hadn’t  the slightest clue what it was. When did he start to not know everything about Seungkwan? He suddenly misses spending quality time with his best friend. Apart from practice and their broadcast schedules, Seungkwan has been busy with his guesting on a radio show, so he hasn’t had the opportunity to bond with the guy. Vernon scans the store and spots Seungkwan in front of the refrigerator. He walks up beside him, putting his chin on Seungkwan’s shoulder. “What drink did they want?” He reads the list in Seungkwan’s phone.

Seungkwan peaks at Vernon on his shoulder. He was a bit shocked at the guy’s sudden skinship but it was a welcome one. Skinship with Vernon always made him feel warm and fuzzy, like hugging a puppy. “Ah Vernonnie.” Seungkwan somehow felt a little less bothered and irritated at his possessiveness towards his same-age friend and decided it was okay to call him endearingly. “Can you get a basket?”

“Oh okay.” Vernon lifted his chin and placed his hands on Seungkwan’s shoulders. “I’ll get it.”

Seungkwan felt the warmth of Vernon’s hands on his shoulders, lingering even until he left to get a shopping basket. Why am I noticing this? He shook his head. Relax Boo Seungkwan. Keep your head together. He took a deep breath and opened the refrigerator. He knew he was an emotional and sentimental person, but these constant thoughts about Vernon were getting dangerous.

After they’d collected all the drinks and paid for them, they head out of the convenience store, Vernon carrying the plastic bag. “You know Seungkwan, it’s rare of you to buy drinks for everyone. Why’d you suddenly do that?” Vernon asks, matching Seungkwan’s stride.

Seungkwan chuckles. “It was just an excuse...”

Vernon looks at him. Lips pouting and eyes curious. “An excuse?”

“To go out.” Seungkwan stretches his arms in front of him. “I’ve been bothered by something lately and I needed to be alone with my thoughts.”

Vernon opens his mouth and nods. “Ah.” He thinks about what Seungkwan just said. “Oh should I have not come with you?”

Seungkwan smiles and puts his arm around Vernon, pulling him in for a quick squeeze. “You’re my best friend, Hansol. Having you here right now is nice.”  He pats his friend’s back. “You’re not a bother, okay?” He looks at Vernon and is greeted with a thankful smile, lips curled, and teeth showing. Vernon and Seungkwan’s eyes meet and Seungkwan can’t help but grin as well. There’s just something about Vernon’s smiling face that makes you want to smile back. Seungkwan credits it as part of Vernon’s charm.

 

-----

Here's the next chapter! I hope this didn't feel forced. Let me know what you guys think! Also, thank you so much for the comments and liking it so far. :)