Chapter 8

Charmed

 

Hyejin put the last of the carton box filled with medicine, warm blankets, clothes, toys and daily needs products into her SUV, while Wheein double checked the list on her hand.

“I think we got everything.” Wheein closed the passenger door, her freshly dyed dark brown hair was put into a high ponytail and just like instructed by Yongsun, she wore a comfortable dark sweatshirt, a dark washed jeans and her favorite sneaker.

Nodding, Hyejin closed the back door of her SUV with a grunt, “Let’s go then, I still have to help Yongsun prepared the food for the open kitchen. No one should trust Byul’s cooking skill.”

Grinning at Hyejin’s remark over Byul’s inability to cook, she teased the older woman while climbing toward the front passenger seat, “Then why did you volunteer to bring in the goods instead of picking up Yongsun unnie and help her with the cooking?”

“Yeah well, as much as I don’t trust Byul’s ability to cook, I hate getting up in the morning more. They have to wake up at dawn and go the market to buy all of the ingredients. No thank you.”

“I just hope that Byulyie unnie won’t burn the shelter down by trying to cook.”

Both women laughed at the recent memory of Byul trying to cook something and ended up burning all of the food and triggered the fire alarm. Thinking that their building was on fire, the other tenants on her building were in panic and quickly evacuated, alerting the fire department team for rescue mission.

Byul got fined for causing the ruckus and received a severe reprimand from the fireman chief, reminding her that she should’ve her cooking exhaust while cooking. Embarrassed, she vowed that it would be her last cooking adventure, since it only landed her with a 2,500,000 Won Fine and an apartment that smelled like smoke for a week.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure Yongsun already put her on a leash or something. Your seat belt’s on?”  Looking at the buckled up young woman, Hyejin nodded and started their drive toward the shelter for abuse women and children.

A couple of days ago, Yongsun – who was a social worker for a non-profit organization that lends helping hand toward the women and children that has a rough household – invited them over to the shelter to help with winter preparation. The organization refurbished an old and abandoned school complex a couple of years ago and turned it into a shelter, opening their door for abused women and their children.

Now that the fall season nearly over, they need to make sure that the shelter would have sufficient warm clothes and blankets and daily run of the mill cold medicine to survive the up and coming winter. Not stopping there, she also said that they would have an open kitchen for the shelter’s resident and the surrounding neighborhood.

“I have to be honest though, my cooking skill are limited to boiling water and making cup ramen, so I won’t be much help.”

Hyejin laughed, “And you survived living abroad alone, how?”

“I’m the expert of dialing my phone for delivery and basically friends with all of the restaurant owners around 3 miles radius of my apartment in New York.” Cheek dimpling, Wheein smiled proudly to the chuckling Hyejin.

“Your mother must be proud.”

“Of course!” Wheein giggled, overly excited because this was her first time doing something good like this and happy to be included in what she learned was a long tradition between the trio. Hyejin told her that they normally helped out once every 6 months or every 3 months if their schedules permitted.

“Well, then you could help out by playing with the children. That box marked toys over there? We have plush toys for the girl and cars for the boys, oh! You like drawing right? Then maybe you could teach them how to draw and color, we have those for all the children too. A word of advice, don’t be disheartened when they were a bit wary of you for the first time, especially the newer children. They have... trust issues.”

Wheein nodded solemnly, she questioned Yongsun unnie excessively when she first extended the invitation, eager to help in whatever capacity.

The young woman was surprised to learn that most of the women that ran away from their abusive relationship have difficulties going back to their family for help. Sometimes it was because they were ashamed or because they don’t have any family left, or because they were afraid that their significant others would find them.

What even more heart breaking was the fact that most of them have difficulties finding work, used to depended solely to their significant others, they don’t have enough skill set to survive on their own. That’s why the organization set up classes to help them get back on their feet, providing them with the knowledge and skill and most importantly mental support to show them that they could survive on their own.

There were success stories of the women who managed to get back on their feet and left the shelter a new person, sometimes giving back by helping out with the shelter as well. But, there were also cases where the abuses were so severe, they refused to leave the shelter or worse, they left the shelter to go back to their abusive partners.

“I applaud Yongsun unnie though, she dealt with so many heart break on a daily basis. I don’t think I could do what she’d been doing all of this time. I wonder what motivated her.”

“She’s one of the kindest, most generous person that I ever met. She’s just pure that way.” Giving Wheein a small smile, Hyejin return her attention toward the road.

“No wonder Byulyie unnie is so protective of her.”

“Ah... yeah. I guess so, I was kind of protective toward her too.”

Silence descends on the rest of their car ride, both lost in their own thoughts. Half way through their journey, the road started to change from the smooth asphalt freeway to a rockier and bumpier lane since the shelter was situated in a small rural village on the outskirt of Seoul, picked more out of necessity for safety rather than comfort.

***

 

“We’re here.” Hyejin drove past the gate and parked their car on the lot reserved for parking. Wheein jumped out from the car and picked up one of the smaller box from the passenger seat. She stopped on her track and for a minute simple stood there, fascinated by the bustling of activities around her.  The spacious courtyard was full of people, some of them are helping out with the open kitchen, and some of them can be seen carrying mattresses and other house hold supplies.

Yongsun shrieked and ran toward them with a huge smile on her face, “You guys made it!!!” she hugged Hyejin, saying something along the line of Hyejin being right on time because she was about to go crazy with all the cooking and then motioned toward other volunteers to help unloading the boxes.

The dark haired beauty then turned toward Wheein, gracing the young woman with one of her trademark grin, “Welcome Wheeinie!! Oh, just give that box to one of the volunteer, they will organize all of the boxes together in the main hall. Can you cook?” she laughed when Wheein shook her head vigorously.

“Ah, it’s okay, you can help out organizing the boxes if you want then. Or just look around the premises, I’m sure I’ll think of something else for you to do. So little time so much to do, oh my god!!”

Wheein laughed at Yongsun’s obvious enthusiasm. Handing off the box to one of the volunteer, she nervously tucked both of her hands on her jeans back pocket. She looked around and realized that she didn’t see Moonbyul anywhere, “Where’s Byulyie unnie?”

“Oh, Byul is at the back doing her pro bono.”

“Pro bono?”

Yongsun’s smile dimmed just a tad, “Well... these women need all the help that they could get, they don’t know much about filing for divorce and most of them do not have money to hire a lawyer to file their cases and fight for child custody. So usually Byul and Hyejin do pro bono to help them out. Ah right, you could help with that as well if you want.”

Slightly dumbfounded by this new piece of information, Wheein just nodded and walked slowly toward the back of the school complex where Yongsun said Byul would be.

The back yard was quiet compared to the hustle and bustle of the front courtyard. Two tables were set up near the left side of the backyard door with rows of chairs filled with women and children waiting for their turn for consultation. She easily spotted the platinum hair lawyer.

Sporting a warm black cashmere sweater and black ripped jeans, her usually loose hair tied into a low ponytail, Byul looked at ease out of her usual suit. With a toddler settled securely on her lap, she was conversing with a young woman while once in a while writing something on what seems like a form in front of her.

Wheein put a finger on her lips and smiled gently when she saw some of the women noticing her presence. She leaned slightly on the backyard door and simply watched Byul from the side.

“That lipstick looks good on you, it’s really brightened your face. Don’t you think, Da-Eunnie?” Byul made silly faces toward the little girl on her lap and smiled brightly when the toddler giggled. She then turned her attention back toward the blushing woman in front of her and winked, “See, even your daughter agrees with me.”

Wheein smiled and shook her head slightly, amazed by Byul’s ability to charm everyone around her. She almost jumped when she felt a tap on her shoulder and found Yongsun by her side. “Here, I forgot to give you this.” She handed over a bag full of toys and drawing tools, “It helps to keep the children distracted with these. Byul’s already a pro in making them distracted so that they won’t be agitated when their mother cry when telling their stories, but these toys would come in handy if needed.”

Wheein simply nodded again and motioned with her head toward Byul and whispered, “Is she always that greasy with everyone?”

Yongsun bit her lips and smiled, “Yep, and I’m thankful for that.” She whispered back, “These women faced too many hardships in their life, and Byul’s sweet words are like fresh air to them, it helps them rebuild their self-esteem. I actually encourage Byul to be as greasy as possible.”

“But won’t them... you know... fall for Byul or something?”

Yongsun shrugged, “I know some of them have a crush on Byul, but she never do anything to encourage them other than being nice to them, so there’s really no harm in it. Go, help out. I’ll be back when we’re ready to hand out food.” She gave Wheein’s another warm squeeze on her shoulder before leaving.

Letting out a deep breath, Wheein put a smile on her face and walked toward the table. She sat gingerly on the chair beside Byul and smiled when she saw the curious faces from the other women.

Byul looked toward her and smiled, “Hey.” Turning her attention back toward the toddler on her lap, she repositioned the little girl until she was facing Wheein, “Da-Eunnie, say Hello to Wheein unnie.” The little girl shyly waved at her before hiding her face on Byul’s embrace and Wheein’s heart melt.

She rummaged through the bag in front of her and took out a plush panda toy. She shook the plush toy and made weird noises, “Da-Eunnie, annyeong!!!” she saw the interest on the little girl eyes and shook the plush toys again, “Wanna play with unnie?” she watched as the little girl looked back and forth between Byul, her mother and the toy.

Cheek dimpling with a huge smile, Wheein stood up and lifted the table, repositioning them a few meters away from Byul’s table. She then spread the toys from the bag onto the table, eyes twinkling she looked at all of the eyes that glued on her, “Children, come here and play with unnie, look! Unnie bring a lot of toys!”

Byul smiled, holding Da-Eunnie in her arms, she walked toward Wheein’s table after herding the other children to join her. She gave the willing Da-Eun to Wheein’s arms and whispered ‘thank you’ before walking back toward her table. With Wheein entertaining the children, she could finally dig deeper into the problem without fear that the children would hear something that they shouldn’t.

***

 

Byul cracked her knuckles and put the sixth report that she already filled for the day on top of the other reports. She smiled at the last two women still waiting for their turn for consultation and motioned to one of them to sit in front of her when Wheein’s tinkling laughter distracted her.

She turned her attention toward the young woman and smiled fondly. She had to admit that throughout the day, she’d been stealing glances at Wheein, slightly surprised at how good Wheein was with the children. Their laughter filled the backyard as Wheein animatedly told them stories using the toys as props. One by one the women that already finished their consultation with Byul joined in and Byul felt a sense of pride when Wheein managed to make them smile as well.

Wheein stopped her story mid-sentences when their eyes met across the yard, and the crescent eyes smile that she sent Byul’s way was so beautiful, it took Byul’s breath away.   

“Your girlfriend is really pretty.”

Byul blinked and turned her attention back toward the older woman in front of her. She shook her head slightly and laughed, “She’s not my girlfriend.” Byul untied and retied her hair into the loose low ponytail and took up her pen once again, “Okay, so... what can I help you with?”

The woman looked at Byul skeptically, the constant look that Byul sent that young woman’s way was too obvious and too warm to be anything but special. Refraining herself from prying any further, the woman just nodded and started her story.

 

The peace that settled amongst them broke when they heard shouts and commotion from the courtyard. Alarmed, Byul told them to stay put and then broke into a run. Wheein forced a smile on her face to calm down the suddenly agitated women and children, promising to send someone over, she too, quickly broke into a run after Byul.

Wheein saw a man standing in the middle of the courtyard, shouting threats and bodily harms to a couple of volunteers. Her blood ran cold when she saw that Yongsun was one of the volunteer trying to talk sense to the man.

“I have rights to see my wife and daughter!!!”

“Soon to be ex-wife.” Byul moved forward and slightly pushed Yongsun behind her. Her face was a mask of coldness as she appraised the angry man in front of her.

“Who do you think you are??? I would be the one who decide whether I want to divorce her or not! You people poison her mind and took her and my daughter away from home!!!” he spat to the ground and move menacingly forward.

Byul and the rest of the volunteer took a step back, her arms reached back to touch Yongsun and she whispered, “Babe, Go. Now.” Never losing her sight on the man, she gently pushed Yongsun so that the dark haired woman won’t be in harm’s way.

“But Byul....”

“Go.”

Byul looked calmly at the red faced man. She noted the storm of emotion on the man’s eyes and quickly scanned his body for any hidden weapon. “Sir, you are trespassing. You are not welcome here and like I said, your soon to be ex-wife and your daughter have no intention to see you. So, I suggest you turn back and walk away. Now.”

The man laughed, a harsh and bitter laugh, before he fixed his eyes on Byul, finding his target, “Or what?? You’re going to report me to the police? I will report YOU for kidnapping my wife and daughter and I will sue this whole place!!! I want my wife and daughter now!!”

Byul firmed her stance and smiled, “Please call the police then, and I will tell them how you beat your wife daily and made you daughter watch. Let’s see who they will put in jail.”

Wheein who already stood beside Hyejin gripped the short haired woman’s arm tightly, “What is she doing?” she whispered harshly, fear trickled down her spine.

Gripping the cold hand on her arm, Hyejin tightly smiled, “Don’t worry, Yongsun called the police already, they should be on their way.”

“But... Byul....”

Wheein gasped and tightened her grip on Hyejin’s arm when the man moved to strike Byul. Her scream died on when she watched Byul easily side stepped the man’s strike.

Byul laughed, “Is that it? Is that what always happen when you don’t have anything else to say? You strike? You used your fist instead of your words?”

The man growled and moved to strike again, only to be side stepped again by Byul’s quick reflexes and lost his balance. Byul assessed the situation when the man was on the ground and felt a little sense of relief when the male volunteers already created human barriers between them and the others. She quickly scanned for Wheein, Yongsun and Hyejin and noted with relief that they were all behind the human barrier and fixed her attention back toward the mad man.

“Ah crap.” Byul cursed when the man produced a small folding knife from his pocket and strike blindly at Byul. She avoided the strikes carefully as the man kept coming at her with the knife. She side stepped again and grabbed a hold on the man’s hand, putting all of her strength, she twisted the man’s hand until he screamed and let go of the knife. She quickly kicked the offending weapon away, still holding the man’s hand in a twist, she stepped on the man’s foot until he lost his balance and howled in pain.

She watched the man holding his foot in pain and shout for a rope. She didn’t realized that the man was already on his feet again until it was too late. Byul felt searing pain when her back connected with the ground as the man tackled her to ground. She groaned and held up her hands up when the man tried to hit her on the face. She faintly heard screams, but she was already deep in her adrenaline haze, all she could hear was the beating of her own heart. She grunt and kicked the man on his balls with all of her might and pounced when the man rolled over, clutching his balls.

Byul punched the man on the face, once, twice, thrice, until she felt hands pulling her away from the crying man. She felt arms around her, stopping her from moving further and she finally heard Wheein’s voice, “Byul stop, please stop. Please....”

Shook out of her entrancement, she watched as a police car and a dark sedan pulled up. Two policemen quickly came out from the car and apprehended the man, hauling him off his feet and handcuffed him before escorting him toward the police car.

She then looked at the arms around her and realized that Wheein back-hugged her tightly. She winced when she realized that her knuckles was scraped when she hit that man, but she managed to pat Wheein’s hand lightly, “It’s okay, Wheepup. I’m okay.”

Wheein let go of her hold and looked at Byul with angry tears, “What were you thinking!!?? You could’ve been hurt!!!”

Shocked and unsure what to do, Byul shrugged and raked her hands on her untied hair. She winced when that small movement made the scrape on her knuckles throbbed. Wheein gasped and grabbed her hand to inspect the wound, “You’re hurt!!!”

“It’s nothing.”

Wheein wiped the errand tears from her eyes and glared at Byul, “You have a bloody knuckles, you idiot! How can you say it was nothing?? I’m going to get first aid kid.” Wheein quickly left Byul who found herself under two more glares sent her way.

“Playing a hero now, are we?” Hyejin glared at her with her arms crossed across her chest while Yongsun pinned her with her worried gaze.

“Hey, I got it under control, and no one hurts which is good. We knew this kind of thing could happen sooner and later, and the other volunteers already did exactly as we practiced. So, it’s all good.”

“Yeah, except the part where you baited that man. Do you want to get hit or something? Because I could hit you, you don’t need to bait a mad man.” Hyejin hit Byul’s arm hard.

“OW! YA! What was that for?”

“That’s for making me worried, you idiot!” she moved to hit Byul again, but Byul quickly took a couple of step back away from the violent woman.

“Yongsun-nim! Aren’t you going to defend me??”

Yongsun glared at her and hit her other arm instead, “No! And that’s for making ME worried!”

“Oh my god! The two of you would be the death of me!”

“No, I will be the one who kill you if you pull that kind of action again.” Wheein glared at Byul as she walked toward them, a box of first aid kid in her hand and a folding chair on her other hand.

“Now, sit here so I can dress your wound.”

Byul obediently sat on the chair and winced when Wheein grabbed her hand none too gently to inspect her wound. Wheein tsk-ed and showed the wound to Hyejin and Yongsun for their inspection, “Please tell her that she’s an idiot.”

“You’re an idiot.” Hyejin and Yongsun chorused like they already practiced saying it a million times.

“Can you clean and dress her wound? I could get someone to do it if you want to.”

Wheein smiled at Yongsun and nodded, “Don’t worry, I took emergency class back in New York, so I could do it. Although I’m not sure whether I should do it gently, since Byul here is such a tough woman.” She glared again at Byul who tried to look innocently at her.

Yongsun laughed and shook her head, “Then don’t, she deserved it. Anyway, I’ll make my statement and then join you guys again, okay.” She smiled and then walked toward a well dressed man who was talking to the other volunteers.

Wheein cleaned and wrapped Byul’s knuckle with lightening efficiency, ignoring Byul’s hiss of pain when she tightened the knot on the gauze. “There, I’ll change the gauze when we return to your apartment later, don’t move your hand too much. I’ll drive you later.”

“I still have my other hand you know, I could drive myself.” Byul shut quickly when Wheein gave her another glare.

“Who’s that? Yongsun unnie looks like she knew him well.” Wheein motioned with her chin toward the laughing Yongsun and the kind looking well dressed man.

“Eric Nam, prosecutor. He always has a crush on Yongsun since she was a prosecutor.”

Wheein looked at Hyejin curiously, “Yongsun unnie was a prosecutor? Really?”

Hyejin cleared , “Uh yeah, anyway, I’ll check on the others.” She quickly flee toward the main hall leaving a silent Byul and a still curious Wheein.

“You never told me that Yongsun unnie was a prosecutor.”

Byul shrugged, avoiding eyes contact, she looked at the neatly wrapped gauze, “It was another lifetime ago. She’s a social worker now. That’s it.”

Sensing that both Hyejin and Byul was uncomfortable with her question, Wheein let the question go, she will ask Yongsun unnie herself later on.

***

 

The rest of the day went smoothly after that little fiasco. The prosecutor took a couple of statements and promised to file charges against the man. He even promised to send out car patrol once in awhile just to make sure that this kind of incident won’t happen again, to the relief of the women and children who were pretty shaken up by the incident.

The atmospheres were tense an hour after the police took the man to custody, but quickly picked up when they started the open kitchen and everyone could relax again, eating and drinking and have their togetherness created a safe haven amongst them.  

True to her words, Wheein refused to let Byul changed her mind and drove Byul back toward her apartment, leaving Hyejin to be the one that would drive Yongsun unnie home.

 

Byul groaned when she tried to lie down on her bed. Wheein eyed her critically when she noticed the stiff movement of Byul’s body. “Take off your clothes.”

“Geez, do you really want to get me that bad?”

Wheein rolled her eyes, “That man tackled you to the ground, you’re moving around stiffly and we just spent 2 hours drive by car, now take off your clothes or I’ll rip it off you.”

Byul gaped at Wheein’s bold words and laughed, she winced when her laughter caused her body to throb painfully, “Ah, whatever.” She gingerly took off her sweater and winced when she heard Wheein gasped, “Is it that bad?”

“On your stomach now, do you have any medication ointment?”

“Try my medicine cabinet in the bathroom, Yongsun usually stock up some for me.” Gently doing what she was told to do, Byul grabbed a pillow and was on her stomach with only her bra and her jeans on.

She felt a slight dip on her bed, followed with a cold hand on her back, “You have bruises all over your back, it would be black and blue in a couple of days.” Wheein caressed Byul’s back slightly before putting the medication ointment and massaging Byul’s back gently.

Byul groaned, “It hurts... but your touch feels so good.”

Wheein laughed and refrained herself from hitting Byul, “Shut up.”

Byul chuckled, “I can’t help it, and it’s true. You have a healing touch, my angel.”

“Stop it, or I’ll hit you.”   

Byul can’t see her, but Wheein had a smile on her face. They fell into silence as she continued to spread ointment and massaged Byul’s back slowly.  

Wheein stopped her ministration then, her voice turning serious, “I was so scared back then, I felt that my heart stopped when that man tackled you and started hitting you.”

Byul opened and then closed , not really know what to say when she heard the note of fear on Wheein’s voice, “When I saw that you’re hurt, all I want to do is to hold you and hide you from anyone that could hurt you. Please don’t be a hero next time, Byul... I don’t think my heart could take it if you’re hurt again.”

Byul turned and sat up, she sighed heavily when she saw the look of fear etched on Wheein’s face, “It was a reflex... I can’t help it. I know it was stupid of me, but at that time, all I could think of was to protect everyone. I just want everyone to be safe and.... when I remembered what that man did to Naeun and Da-eun, I saw red. All I wanted to do is to hurt that man and....” Byul stopped when Wheein took her wrapped hand into hers and kissed it gently.

“You have a good heart, Byulyie unnie. A soft heart.... but maybe this is me being selfish, but I don’t want you to do that ever again, I just don’t want you to get hurt, ever again.” Wheein looked up and their eyes locked, determination written all over her face and Byul’s heart twitched.

“I can’t promise you that, Wheeinie....” her voice cracked slightly, but she smiled softly at the young woman in front of her, “But I promised that I’ll be extra careful next time.”

“and I promised that I won’t bait a mad man ever again.”

A grin formed on her face then, “And I promised that I won’t bait a mad man ever again, unless it was necessary.”

Wheein groaned, “Will you stop being a lawyer for a second, stop adding or revising my wording and just do it.”

Byul laughed lightly, she reached up and Wheein’s hair softly, tucking a wisp of hair behind her ear and cradled her face gently, “You changed your hair. color”

“Just feel like it and you’re changing the conversation.” Wheein poked Byul’s cheek playfully and glared.

“Beautiful, but then again, you always look beautiful no matter what.”

The younger woman snorted, “Of course I always look good, but like I said, stop changing the conversation.”

“If I promised all of that, will you please massage my back again and kiss it better?” Byul looked at Wheein expectantly and the dark haired woman laughed lightly.

“Deal. Now get back on your stomach.”

“So bossy.”

“We established that months ago. Do it before I tied you down.”

“Oh ho... maybe I should just be stubborn so that you will tie me down.” Byul wiggled her eyebrow and Wheein half laugh half screaming at her, “Unnie!!! Seriously!!!”

Obeying the younger woman, she turned around and lay back down on her stomach. She sighed when she felt Wheein’s hand gently massaging her back again, a smile formed on her lips at the feel of warmth that spread from Wheein’s touch on her back toward her whole body and soul.

Her breath evened out and she fell into a deep sleep, the event of the day catching up on her. Wheein watched on as Byul succumbed into slumber and the soft platinum hair softly, unwilling to leave but knew that Byul would need her rest.

Covering the older woman with the warm blanket, Wheein pressed a lingering kiss on the side of Byul’s head. “Sleep tight, sweetheart....”

She watched Byul’s sleeping form for a while longer from her bedroom door, before turning off the light and walked out from Byul’s apartment, already missing Byul’s presence with each steps that she took.  

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

Honestly, this is the hardest chapter that I ever wrote (Yes, Writer's block, I'm looking at you). Anyway, the plot thickens! Yongsun was once a prosecutor XD There will be a big revelation coming up in Chapter 9, although I'm not sure whether I should cram it into one chapter or split it into two chapters instead. Because really, the angst level in the next chapter would be through the roof (If only I could write it down, yes, my muse still on strike). 

One more day until Mamamoo comeback!!! I cant wait!!! and hopefully my muse will return along with my girls. Talk to you later, lovely readers!! Critics and Comments as always are welcome, send me your thoughts! or prompts if you guys have any prompts for a one shot, since I need something to break my writers block. Ciao Bellas! <3 <3 <3