Chapter 5

Charmed

 

“Byul! Hey Byul! EARTH TO MOON BYUL YI!” Hyejin snapped her fingers repeatedly in front of Byul’s face and only after she slightly yelled did she get a reaction.

They were having their usual breakfast and a shot of caffeine at the deli situated on the ground floor of their skyscraper building. But unlike the usual, Moonbyul had been quiet. Even quieter than her usual quiet self and it sort of freaking Hyejin’s out.

“Something on your mind? You’ve been acting like a zombie, and its not even mid-day yet. What’s up?”

The memory of soft lips moving against her own invaded her mind once again, and she nearly cursed out loud. *This is getting ridicilous, I’m not a teenager and it’s not the first time I kissed a woman, what kind of spell did she put on me?*

“Okay, that’s it. I’m taking you to the doctor. There’s obviously something wrong with you. I dont know what, but it’s something.” Hyejin quickly scrolled through her contact list, looking for the name of the doctor that she dated a long time ago.

“Whatever it was you were doing, stop. There’s nothing wrong with me.”

Hyejin paused and looked at Byul questioningly, “Nope. There’s definitely something. You acted weirder than usual.... OMG! Did you sleep with a client or something???”

The platinum blond lawyer grimaced at the mentioned of and Hyejin’s eyes widened in horror.

“I swear to whoever listening up there, Byul... if you slept with a client, you are so dead!”

Annoyance spread across Moonbyul’s face, “Seriously? That’s your first thought? That I slept with a client?”

Hyejin shrugged, ignoring the annoyed look that Byul thrown her way, “Can you blame me? You basically have every women that ever met you in the palm of your hand.”

“Are you trying to be funny? Cause if my memory serves me well, I could barely get you to stop annoying me.”

Hyejin sighed, her face turning serious, “Okay, enough joking around. Something obviously bothering you, is it something about Yongsun? Only something related to Yongsun that could get your twisted like that, but I just got off the phone with her this morning and she seems fine so that’s definitely not it. But as your best friend, this....” she gestured toward the sulking Moonbyul, “I’m getting worried and I dont get worried very often. So, talk to me.”

Byul raked her fingers through her hair and sighed, “Do you still need another assistant? What do you think about mentoring Wheein for the rest of her intership?”

The short haired woman blinked, then grin spread across her face, “So this is about that little puppy? Really? You got all emotional like a teenager, sulking and being a walking zombie because of that little pup? REALLY?”

“Do you want the content of my cup to be all over you?” Moonbyul looked at her best friend and colleagues with the utmost intent to pour her coffee to wiped the evil grin off her face.

Hyejin tapped her well manicured fingers on the table, still disbelieving that the petite young woman could reduced the mighty Moon Byul Yi to this warped version of herself.

“Okay, lets say that I take the pup off your hand, what will you get me?”

Moonbyul sat up straight in an instant, “Really? You will get my undying love for the rest of your life.”

“Oh you got it bad.... you got it so, so bad....”

Moonbyul groaned, cursing herself for walking into Hyejin’s trap. “ you. Ah crap, I have a meeting with potential client in 5. And no, whatever it was you were thinking? No.” She stood up, glared once again to the laughing Hyejin and walked purposely toward the elevator.

***

 

Psst!”

Wheein looked up from her laptop to see Seulgi pointing at the walking Moonbyul, before shooing the younger girl with her hand to hurry up. The blonde quickly grabbed her notebook and almost ran after the lawyer toward the meeting room.

Words around the office were, Moonbyul was in a very dark mood. Wheein noted the rigidness of Byul’s shoulder, the dark ‘don’t mess with me’ aura that seemed to permeate the air around her and wondered to herself whether she went too far last night.

The petite girl quickened her steps when she saw Moonbyul already entered the room and held her breath as she slipped between the almost closed door. She let out a silent breath, relieved when she successfully slipped inside without being noticed and closed the door quietly behind her.

Inside the meeting room stood a gorgeous looking woman. As irrational as it might sound, Wheein felt an instant dislike toward the woman.

Wheein watched as Moonbyul politely greeted the woman, who introduced herself as Kyungri, before offering her to sit down on the plush sofa. She watched with fascination as Byul’s transformed in front of her eyes. Gone was the scowl that was permanently etched on Byul’s face since morning, replaced with a warm and smiling face of a professional lawyer.

The platinum haired lawyer listened attentively to the case at hand, head nodding at appropriate moment without interjecting. Apparently, their potential client was a model and had difficulties to break her current contract with her modeling agency.

Hand busy jotting down the key points of the case, Wheein didn’t missed the appreciative look that Moonbyul gave their potential client and desperately fight the urge to roll her eyes and an even bigger urge to slap some sense into Byul. What was that woman thinking? Looking at a potential client like that!?

“Thank you for your consideration to engage our law firm, of course we will need to take further look into your modeling contract before we could give you a throughout legal opinion. My assistant....” Byul stopped when she saw that it was Wheein who was sitting on the single arm chair behind her, instead of Seulgi.  Her word died on her lips as their gaze locked until she broke their eye contact and smiled once more toward the potential client.

“My assistant here would take your contact number and do the follow up for the contract and such. We could give you a preliminary legal opinion if you wanted, so that you could have an idea of what you’re dealing with before signing the engagement letter with our law firm.”

“I don’t mind signing the engagement letter now, my friend recommended you and I trust my friend’s judgment.”

“Well, I would have to treat your friend to dinner then.” Byul smiled smoothly and Wheein’s grip on her pen tightened.

“If you don’t mind, we could set up a dinner meeting, as a thank you of course, for taking on my case and we could discuss the problems more?” Kyungri looked at Byul tentatively.

Wheein chanced a look at the potential client and noticed the faint pink adorning the woman’s beautiful face and knew that the woman had already been spelled by Moonbyul’s charm. *Great.... just... great.....* She counted until three to control her irritation and hoped that her poker face was still intact.

“Unfortunately my schedules are rather full today, thank you for the invitation. Rest assured that you are in a very capable hand and we would help you get through this.”

“Oh... I’m sure you are very... capable.” The beautiful woman smiled at Byul and Wheein almost swear that she saw her eyelashes fluttered.  *did she just flirt with Byul???*

Instead of answering, Moonbyul smiled and stood up. Bowing slightly toward the woman, she thanked her again for considering the law firm, prompting the woman to stand up as well.

“If you would excuse me for a moment, I need to have a few words with my assistant. Do you want another refreshment?” she gestured toward the half finished ice tea on the table.

“Thank you for your hospitality, but I will just take my leave now. Do you have any paper that I could borrow?” She looked at Byul expectantly, to which Wheein quickly offered her note book instead.

Without sparing another second glance toward Wheein, the woman quickly scribbled her phone number and ripped the paper out of Wheein’s notebook.

She gave the note book and the piece of paper to Byul, “Here’s my personal phone number, please feel free to call me anytime.”

Smiling, Moonbyul nodded and opened the meeting room door, “Of course, my assistant will contact you as soon as possible. Let me walk you to the lobby.” She then looked at Wheein, and the young woman almost shivered from the cold gaze directed at her.

“Wheein-ssi, if you could just wait here for a moment.” Without waiting for Wheein’s response, Moonbyul quickly turned around. Once again smiling warmly at their potential client, she gestured for the woman to follow her.

Chewing on her lips softly, Wheein tried her best to temper her rising annoyance, *What the hell was that?*

 

Lost in her own thought, she nearly jumped when she heard Moonbyul almost slammed the door shut, “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Excuse me?” Wheein fought the urge to cross her arms in front of her, knowing instinctively that any kind of defensive movement would only aggravated Byul more.

“Why are you attending this meeting instead of Seulgi? Like I asked you before, what do you think you were doing? If you think that you could do anything you wanted just because you are the partner’s daughter, then here’s a news flash princess, you can’t!”

Wheein looked at Byul with utter disbelief, “Well, excuse me Miss Moon, but your primary assistant is currently juggling 2 affidavits, the one that you told her to finish in an hour if you are sadly forgotten. Not to mention the draft motion that you need to submit before the end of today’s business hour. So, if she thought that I have enough IQ in my brain to simply jot down notes during a meeting with a potential client, then yes! Something is very wrong, not with me, but with you!”

“That supposed to be my decision, not hers! And she could simply asked the other junior lawyer to stand in for her in this meeting, not sending an intern!”

Sending Byul an ‘are you kidding me?’ look, Wheein stormed passed Byul only to have her arm grabbed by the older woman, “I’m not finished talking to you.”

Shrugging off Byul’s hold, Wheein glared at her, “Well I’am! Now this is me, acting like the partner’s daughter and since I had enough of this nonsense, I better get back to work on something other than entertaining this ridiculous notion of yours!” 

Wheein opened the door in a quick motion, letting the door closed on its own as she stomped down the hall toward the open area, cursing Moonbyul silently to the deepest pit of hell.

Unbeknown to her, Moonbyul quickly followed her footsteps and her longer stride quickly catches up to her shorter one. Grabbing hold onto Wheein’s arm once more, she almost dragged the younger woman toward the junior lawyer’s station.

“Kang Seul-gi!”

Startled, Seulgi looked up from the numerous documents scattered all over her desk. Her hair was in a messy bun and her glasses were slightly skewed when she looked up, and immediately came face to face with two stormy faces, *Uh Oh....*

“Never ever send an intern to a meeting like that, understood? Now, I don’t care if this one has special privilege, but I will not have another intern standing in for a junior lawyer in my meeting. If you think that you can’t juggle your work, consult with me, but don’t ever do that again.”

Wheein gritted her teeth, this is getting out of hand and Byul was being unreasonable. She was about to snap when the voice of her father caused all heads to look at the door.

“Ah Byul, could I borrow Seulgi for a minute? I want her to looked through the due diligence list for the AP Project.”

“Uh, I need her for my next meeting, the telecom dispute.”

The Old Jung smiled then, and nodded his head toward Wheein, “Well, I’m pretty sure you could take Wheein to that meeting.”

“Dad... I mean, Senior Partner Jung, sir, why don’t I help you with the due diligence and Seulgi sunbaenim can go with Miss Moon?” Wheein almost cannot hide the venom in her voice when she spoke of the older woman’s name and pray to the higher being that her dad wont noticed.

“Oh no...no... This is a great opportunity for you to observe and learn from the best. Come now Seulgi, off to my office please.”

Looking back and forth between her immediate superior and the senior partner, Seulgi hesitantly followed the Old Jung back to his office.

“Well, you heard your dad.”

Wheein wished she could slap the sneer off Byul’s face, but instead, she simply reached out her hand, “My note book.”

Moonbyul looked at the note book in her hand and passed it to Wheein, who still looked at her expectantly.

“And the paper with the phone number on it, unless you want to call her and actually accept her invitation for dinner.”

The older woman scowled and gave the piece of paper to Wheein as well, “I was about to give them to Seulgi before your dad....”

“Not my business.” Wheein cut her words short and walked pass the stilled woman, who simply closed her eyes and not for the first time today wondered what the hell is wrong with her.

She opened her eyes only to be greeted by curious pairs of eyes watching her, “Don’t you all have work to do!?” she barked her question and pivoted on her feet, hearing people quickly scrambling to resume their work.

***

 

The telecom dispute was a pretty complicated case involving too many parties in Byul’s opinion. Representing the land owner, it was pretty clear cut on her side. Unfortunately, the other parties still cant reach any agreement in so many things and she could feel that the negotiation would reached a stand still soon if they wont compromise on certain things.

She was getting weary from all of the arguments going back and forth between the other parties legal representatives. To make matter worse, she could feel Wheein’s eyes on her throughout the meeting. It was unnerving.

Raising her hand to stop the escalating arguments, Moonbyul addressed the other people in the room “Look, we’ve been at it for nearly 3 hours and we still have.....” she flipped over the settlement agreement in front of her and grimaced, “approximately another 60 pages to run through. Let’s just take a lunch break and think over some of the things, I think some sort of compromise would be necessary from each side. My client’s offer still stand, if E-Coms pay the outstanding land lease, we will lifted the barricades around the land. We could make a separate agreement and E-Coms could at least settle this particular dispute. Think about it.”  

Voices raised, each representatives talking over each other and Byul was once again forced to be the voice of reason. In the end, they all agreed to continue the meeting in the next two weeks.

 

“Wheein, with me.” Moonbyul said after she finished sending off their client, walking purposely toward her own office.

Heaving a heavy sigh, Wheein dragged her feet toward the older woman’s office, wondering what else that Byul could possibly want from her now.

“Close the door.” Ordered Byul as she tossed the settlement agreement onto her desk. She folded her arms across her chest as she stared at the young woman with an unreadable expression. “You were staring at me the entire meeting. You are supposed to observe, learn something out of it, or at least use the time to familiarize yourself with the case. If you think that interning here is just some sort of way to pass your time, or that this is all fun and game, maybe you should rethink your decision to intern here.”

Wheein stared at her, her rising anger battling with her frustration with the situation. Her frustration won, “We need to talk about this. Is this because of the kiss? Is this why you’ve been acting like a all day long?”

“No. I refuse to talk about anything else not related to the pending case. I’m reprimanding you for one thing and one thing alone, your attitude. You’re not focusing on the job.”

Wheein could feel her blood pressure rise as her anger overrode her manners and logical thoughts. She walked over to where Byul was standing and stepped into her personal space, “That’s bull and both of us know it.”

Moonbyul took a step back, away from the glaring young woman. She could feel the heat coming off from Wheein’s skin and caught the scent of her perfume, a soft flowery scent that made her want to reach out and buried her nose onto the smaller woman’s slender neck.

“You got it wrong, oh your excellency, I’ve been paying attention.” Wheein leaned closer toward Byul, her dark eyes glinted with the anger that she buried since morning, “Our client leased their land to E-Com since 2008. In 2010, E-Com subleased it to Sat-Tower to build a communication tower. In additional to yearly rent, Sat-Tower agreed to pay E-Com with 10% of its profit. Sat-Tower has a cooperation agreement with K-Telecom.....”

Moonbyul stopped listening to Wheein’s perfect summation of the case, her concentration distracted by the quick rise and fall of Wheein’s chest. She felt her own heart rate increase at their close proximity, and as she watched the flush of anger on Wheein’s face, the memory of last night came tumbling down and her stomach clenched at the sudden desire that coursed through her, driving her crazy.

it all to hell!

Her long fingers wrapped themselves around the back of Wheein’s neck, pulling the younger woman closer before her demanding lips crushed Wheein’s lips in a forceful kiss. She felt a brief hesitation from the petite body that she held against her own, but it was gone as their mouth meet again in a violent clash of lips and teeth, fueled by lust and the day’s frustration.

Wheein tilted her head to deepen the kiss and moaned when Byul’s tongue slip inside. Lips’ moving against lips, their tongues battled for dominance. Liquid heat coursed through her vein, as the familiar ache begin to build in her lower abdomen. Desperately need to feel Moonbyul’s bare skin, Wheein yanked Byul’s shirt out of the slack that she was wearing before sliding her palm across Byul’s abdomen, causing the stomach muscle to tighten and the older woman groaned.

Brushing Wheein’s blazer off her shoulder and onto the floor, Moonbyul slide her hand down the younger’s woman back possesively before cupping the blond’s perfect tightly, pulling her forward until their s brushed againts each other. Tongues still battling for dominance, a deep moan tore through Wheein’s lips when Byul ran her palm over her already swollen and cup her . Not wanting to be outdone, her own fingers desperately undoing the rest of the buttons of Byul’s shirt.

Sliding her hand down further under Wheein’s dress, she slide her hand back up smooth thigh before lifting the petite woman without breaking their kiss and laid her down firmly on top of her desk, sending everything the lawyer was working on to scatter on the floor. 

Gasping for breath, Wheein tilted her head back as she allowed Byul’s lips to trail down her neck. Lost in the sensation of Byul’s lips and tongue alternately working on her neck, Wheein locked her legs around Byul’s hips pulling her even closer until Byul almost laying on top of the younger woman. 

“....” Wheein’s groaned out loud when Byul bit the juncture between her neck and her shoulder. The dirty word spoken in Wheein’s husky voice caused alarm to go off inside Byul’s head and the older woman felt her chest tightened as a rush of panic filled her. Untangling herself from the younger woman’s embrace, Byul quickly back off from the desk.

 

“Unnie?”

She could hear the confuse tone in Wheein’s voice, but the sound of her own wildly pounding heart filled her ear and drowned everything out. Raking her fingers through her slightly messy hair, she quickly buttoned up her shirt, turning away from the hurt look on Wheein’s face.

Wheein cursed and jumped off from the table, straightening her dress, she picked up her blazer and shrugged it on, “You have got to be kidding me. Do you always run hot and cold like this? What is the matter with you?”

“I... I’m sorry I just can’t do this... not with you....”

“You’re joking right? You’re 5 seconds away from ing me on your desk!”

“I know! And I shouldn’t have!” Byul whirled around, finally facing the younger woman.

Their eyes met in a battle of will, Wheein’s blazing with anger and humiliation, “You’re so full of .”

Moonbyul’s jaw tightened but she held her ground and they simply stared at each other. Both at a lost of what to say.

The quiet moment was broken when Byul’s office door suddenly burst open, followed by, “Hey babe, ready for lunch?”

Startled, both Moonbyul and Wheein glared at the new comer who lingered on the door.

“Whoops, sorry. Am I interrupting something? I can go back later if you’d like...” asked the woman, unsure of what to do when she saw the awkward atmosphere surrounding the room.

“No, no, babe... come in. We’re just finishing off our meeting, that’s all.” Byul smiled and reached out her hand toward the lovely woman. At the mention of the terms of endearment, Wheein’s head whipped up and looked curiously at the woman at Byul’s door.

The woman whom Byul called ‘babe’ walked inside the office to stand at Byul’s side, wrapping her arm casually around Byul’s waist. With the two of them standing there side by side, the woman’s knee length yellow dress against Byul’s black power suit,  Wheein cant help but think that they’re like night and day, and not just because of their clothing.

She almost has the same height as Byul, while both of them are slender, the woman has softer features compared to Byul’s toned figure. And where Byul exudes confidence, power and coolness,  the woman radiates warmth, gentleness and serenity. The only thing that was similar were their beautiful long hair and even so, Byul wears her platinum blond hair straight while the woman’s dark tresses cascaded wavily down her back. The two of them looked good together.

Wheein watched as the woman whispered something on Byul’s ear and she felt a twinge of pain when she saw that intimate gesture. She missed the scowl that passed through Byul’s face fleatingly until Moonbyul cleared and introduced the woman.

“Wheein-ssi, this is Yongsun.  Yongsun, this is Wheein, the Old Jung’s daughter. Enough with introduction, let’s go to lunch.” Byul almost forcefully trying to steer Yongsun toward the door, but the dark haired woman resisted.

“Ya! What’s the rush? I havent even greet the pretty girl properly. Anyeonghaseyeo, nice to meet you.” Yongsun bowed her head slightly and smiled brightly toward the younger woman who awkwardly bowed back, whispering a soft ‘nice to meet you’ as well.

“So you’re interning here? For Byul here? I hope my Byulyie didn’t bother you too much. She can be very challenging.”

Wheein grimaced, her hand subconciously smoothing her hair in a nervous habit, “Uh no, I mean I was just interning here for 2 days, so...”

“Ah... I see, you could tell me if she’s giving me a hard time, and I will spank her for you.”

Wheein laughed bitterly and shook her head, “I dont think that would be a problem, my father probably going to shuffle me around to intern for the other senior lawyer, to give me different exposures to the business of course. So I probably wont be interning for Miss Moon for long. If you will excuse me, I still have other things to do....” Wheein bowed and started to walk toward the door when Moonbyul’s voice stopped her.

“Wheein, we’re not done here.”

Unwilling to turn around, Wheein’s grip on the door handle tightened, “Yes, I think we are.” She said softly before flinging the door open to leave.

Moonbyul watched Wheein leave, barely able to keep herself from going after the young blond. Groaning and cursing herself, she came face to face with an accusing gaze from Yongsun, who watched the interplay between the two women with interest.

“Byul... What did you do?”

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note

For the record, I have no idea what just happened. My muse decided to take this story to a very angsty road. Sorry about that. Well, I did said that this chapter will be a roller coaster XD  And oh! Welcome Solar! I know that its not much, but we will have more Solar in the next chapter, so dont worry. 

Honestly, I still have no idea what to write for the next chapter, will have to think on ways to reduce the tension a little bit. This is supposed to be a fluffy story! Anyway, I hope you guys still enjoy reading it and please tell me what you think of the story so far!! See ya!!