Chapter 15

Charmed

 

Warm.

Wheein felt the warm cocooned her body in a comfortable hold, something soft and warm pressed against her back, and there was a light weight draped across her waist.

Wheein blinked awake.

Heart beating erratically, she focused on her surroundings. Sandy wall, black wood dresser, bathroom door around the corner, yep... she was in her own apartment, but who... she bit her lips and looked down at the familiar hand that held her body, her heart beat increasing by the second until her gaze fell on a sleeping Moon Byul.

Platinum blond hair fanned across the white pillow – still deep in slumber – Wheein can’t help but think how young and innocent Byul looked like this, her heart slammed repeatedly against her chest as a smile formed unbidden on her lips. Her fingers were shaky, slightly trembling as she traced the contour of Byul’s face, almost afraid that it was just a figment of her imagination. That in just one touch, Byul would disperse into nothingness.

Long eyelashes fluttered, sleepy dark eyes slowly opened and Wheein exhaled a breath when she saw the warmth of it greeted her. Byul tightened her hold onto Wheein’s body, hiding her face on the crook of the younger woman’s neck, mumbling softly, “You should just throw your hand phone away.”

“Huh?”

“I called you a million times last night and it went straight to voicemail.” Byul groaned, stretching out the kink from her body and sat up, both hands reaching up to rub the sleep away from her eyes.

Byul remembered the panic that she felt when Wheein was not home even after past midnight, all her messages were unread and she couldn’t get a hold on the younger woman. The demon in her mind whispered the possibility of Wheein staying with Yuri, but the rational part of her reminded her that it was a distant possibility.

Byul was relieved beyond belief when she found Wheein curled up on the bed at her own apartment, although another part of her was disheartened that Wheein didn’t call and didn’t come home to her place.

Dragging her feet to the bathroom, she splashed water on to her face and brushed her teeth with quick efficiency, before walking back to the kitchen area to make coffee. Thankful that she still had enough brain cells to buy some grocery after she was sure that Wheein was safe and sound.

She stood there waiting for the coffee to brew, painfully aware of the stare that Wheein gave her from the bed, the studio apartment allowed her a direct view to the kitchen area near the front door without any partition.

“Something on my face?” Byul playfully asked, scrubbing her face with her hands.

“You’re here.” Wheein was still unsure whether she was dreaming or not, but the smell of coffee that slowly permeated the air assured her that it was real, that Byul was really in her apartment.

“Where else would I be?” Byul threw her a confused look and Wheein was floored by the answer.

Byul grabbed the coffee cup from the coffee machine and took a sip, sighing happily as the caffeine infused her system. “Why didn’t you called me to pick you up?” Byul asked calmly, cocking her head to the side as she watched Wheein bit her lips, as if contemplating her answer.

“You’re with Yongsun unnie, I didn’t want to bother you.” Half truth, Byul could sense there were other reasons, but she let it slide this time.

She nodded, sipping her coffee again, still watching Wheein calmly, “Next time, no matter what, call me. How was dinner?”

Wheein shrugged and Byul knew instantly that the dinner didn’t end well.

“That bad?”

Wheein shrugged again, her jaw tensing with the force of her gritted teeth. Knowing Wheein, she would always spoke her mind if something bothered her, to get a silent answer like this, something must’ve gone really wrong and in that instant, Byul knew exactly what she had to do and made a decision. 

“You know what? I think we both need some vacation, I’ve been racking in leave days – I can’t even remember the last time I took sick leave – and I think you have some day off stored as well, what do you think about skipping town?”

Something flared in Wheein eyes as she looked at Byul – something like hope – but Byul wasn’t sure. Wheein has expressive eyes, something that Byul really adores about her, her eyes were the window to her soul and this time, Byul hope that she wasn’t wrong with her reading.

“When?” Wheein’s voice cracked, clearing , she asked the same question again, clearly this time.

“Today.” Byul smiled when she saw the light twinkle in Wheein’s eyes and her demon purred at the happiness that shone from her angel’s eyes.

“What about the gala dinner?”

“What about the gala dinner?” Byul smirked when she saw understanding dawned in Wheein’s eyes, her dimple deepened as a bright smile graced her lips.

“Byul?”

“Hmm?”

“I want breakfast in bed.”

Byul frowned, she only bought coffee and Wheein favorite yogurt, but that’s it, “What do you want to eat, I could buy some for you now.”

“I’m not talking about food.”

Byul blinked, shaping into a perfect O, “Oh.”

“Yep. Oh. Now come here before I change my mind.”

Byul didn’t have to be told twice, and truth be told, she didn’t even remember when was the last time she stripped off her clothes that fast.

***

 

Wheein gasped when their private car went passed the security gate, tall coconut trees lined the private laneway – bordering the lush green hills on each side of the road – the sun shone brightly despite it was late in the afternoon, a far cry from the icy coldness of Seoul.  

Pulling some strings from her vast network, Byul managed to secure them business class seats to the tropical island for a beach retreat without any hassle. Within hour and packing lightly, they found themselves boarding the plane for a 7 hours’ flight to Bali. When Wheein asked her why Bali, Byul simply shrugged, “Why only skip town when you can skip the country.”

Wheein was speechless when their car stopped at the end of the road. Byul said something about a private villa, what she forgot to mention was that the Villa would be luxury personified. The Villa has a Mediterranean feel to it, with chic and modern interior and enough room to house an army, private pools and its own private beach.

A smile permanently fixed on Byul’s face as she followed Wheein walked around their home for the next week with fascination, allowing herself to be drag toward the master bedroom and laughed when Wheein excitedly pointed at the infinity pool placed directly in front of their patio.

Circling Wheein’s waist with her arms, she held on tight when Wheein leaned against her, both simply stood there for a while, transfixed by the breath taking view of the ocean right in front of them and the sound of waves crashing softly against the sandy beach. 

“It’s beautiful….”

“Just like you.” Wheein smiled when she heard Byul’s words but instead of teasing her for being greasy as per usual, she leaned forward and captured Byul’s lips in a long kiss instead. For a moment they both were lost in the peace and tranquillity of it, just the two of them, in a world where only the two of them existed.

They broke their kiss after a while, pressing their forehead together, smiling at each other, “So, what do you want to do right now?” hand caressing Wheein’s back slowly, she grinned when she saw the mischievous glint on Wheein’s dark eyes.

“Well, we do have a very large bed behind us...” warm hands slipped beneath Byul’s shirt and Byul’s abdomen tightened from the touch.

“I’m kind of tired after the long flight, nap time?” she faked a yawn and laughed, avoiding Wheein’s playful pinch on her stomach. Wrapping her arms around the lithe body, she brushed their noses together in an Eskimo kiss, “We might miss dinner if we start now.”

Tangling her fingers on Byul’s hair, Wheein drew Byul closer to her, “Screw dinner...” she whispered against Byul’s lips before claiming it with her own.

 

Byul smiled as she watched Wheein ran ahead of her on the sandy beach, after christening their bed, they decided to take a walk on the beach and catch the sunset before heading out for dinner. She chuckled a little as Wheein squealed when the waves touched her bare feet, a grin stretched widely on her pretty face as she yelled out for Byul to join her.

Feeling a vibration from the back of her jeans short pocket, she took out her phone and cold dread took hold of her when she saw the caller ID.

“Is she with you?” Byul swallowed back her greeting when Mrs. Jung asked her point blank without any preamble.

“Who?” Byul knew it was futile the second the question left her lips, but she tried anyway. She swore she could almost hear Wheein’s mother roll her eyes at her question. Byul couldn’t contain her smile – Wheein and her mother – the two of them have so many things in common.

“Byul, I practically watched you grow up into... well, you. So please, don’t try to be stupid with me, it’s so unbecoming of you and it’s insulting to my intelligence. I’ve been calling her for almost an hour now, so did my husband, and so were other people I would rather not mention. My daughter is with you, isn’t she?”

Byul cleared , if there’s anyone in this world who could put the fear of god in her, it was definitely this woman, “Hypothetically speaking...“ Byul cringed when Wheein chose that particular moment to yell out her name, asking her to hurry up.

The silent grew from the other side and Byul was suddenly very afraid for her life, “Mrs. Jung?” she nearly stammered out.

“Where are you?”

She bit her lips and prayed to whomever listening that she would still have a head when they returned to Korea, “Bali.”

A warm chuckle greeted her ears and Byul exhaled the breath that she didn’t knew she held, “Good. At least she won’t be here to endure this non-sense. How long are you two would be there?”

“7 days, it’s an impromptu decision, so... uh... that’s the earliest available flight.”

“Oh I don’t mind. Enjoy it as long as possible, at least I know you won’t be able to get my daughter pregnant no matter how much you two would be having.” and Byul never been more relieved that she was not digesting anything at the moment, she’d sure she’ll die from choking if she was. 

“Byul?”

“Yes mam!” she nearly put her hand in a salutation position, until she remembered that she was actually talking on the phone, not face to face with the formidable woman. 

“Take care of her will you.” Her voice was soft and for a moment Byul was sorry that she encouraged Wheein to turn off her phone for the day, knowing that Mrs. Jung was probably worried sick about her daughter where about.

“With my life.”

“Of course, because you won’t have one if she’s hurt in any way.”

Byul burst out a laugh, “Of course.”

“Tell her that she’s grounded after she got back home, I’m not sure how because she’s a grown up and already living on her own, but I’m sure I’ll think of a way. Tell her… Tell her that I understand and she shouldn’t worry about her dad, and … that I love her. Got that young lady?”

Byul smiled and nodded, even though she knew that Mrs. Jung wouldn’t be able to see it, “Yes, mam.”

“And I love you too, don’t forget that. Now go, have fun, don’t forget to sleep and eat, and… well, you two don’t need any protection, but please hydrate yourself and take a break once in a while.”

Byul nearly choke, if anyone ever told her that she would have this kind of conversation with Mrs. Jung, she would tell whoever it was to commit themselves to the nearest asylum, yet… apparently the universe wants to the show the humans that they were unpredictable. She remembered that she only mumbled something incoherent and heard the short chuckle from the other side before Mrs. Jung bid her goodbye.

 

Jung Hye Soo ended the connection and smiled to herself, proud at the bold move that Byul made by whisking away her daughter to another country.

“Did you get through to Wheein? Or Byul? She’s not here as well, they must be together, right?” the short haired woman looked toward her approaching husband, the worry was obvious on his face, and she almost told her husband that their daughter was fine, and yes, she was with Byul and from the distant shout that she heard before, sounded very very happy.

“No. Her phone still dead, I can’t get a hold on Byul either. Look, I’m sure she’s fine. Beside, can you blame her? Didn’t you see how uncomfortable she was at the dinner last night? This is just a gala dinner to welcome Yuri back to Korea, why do you need her to be here anyway?”

She watched her husband fidget nervously and narrowed her eyes in suspicion, “Honey, is there something that you didn’t tell me?”

The quick shook of his head and his fast denial only added to her suspicion. She swept her gaze around the grand ballroom, decorated in style with nuance of gold, the already luxurious ballroom felt even grander than its original form. It seemed like the Kwon spared no expenses in welcoming their daughter back, although it was too excessive in her opinion, unless...

“Is there any other occasion aside from a welcoming party?” she waited for her husband to answer, but the man kept his silence.

“Yes.”

Mrs. Jung turned around, facing Yuri who stood there with a sad smile on her face and a small velvet box on her hand. She looked at the box with unconcealed disdain and looked at Yuri straight in her eyes, “Well, good thing my daughter was not here then.” She turned to her husband again, displeasure written all over her face, “I will make my round of greeting, but afterwards, you and I need to have a very serious talk, husband.”

She squared her shoulder and held her head high, a pleasant smile already forming on her lips – masking the disappointment that she felt toward her husband – only the thought that her daughter was out there being happy instead of in this trap that kept her from unleashing her wrath. 

***

 

Yuri’s eyes were unfocused as she stared at the play of lights reflecting off the princess cut diamond. Wheein was still unreachable and now, she still wasn’t on her desk and it was almost lunch time. *Where are you?*

She had it all planned out perfectly. The core of her problem with Wheein was her aversion to come out of the closet and hiding their relationship from the world. That’s why she planned to propose to her at the Gala, she wanted to show her that she was serious, no more hiding. She wanted nothing more than to marry Wheein. Wheein was the one

Raking her fingers through her hair in frustration, she closed the lid of the velvet box and put it back on her desk’s drawer. She didn’t see Moon Byul Yi on the Gala and the lights on her office was still off as well, it didn’t take much to put two and two together. Her jaw clenched, the one thing that she didn’t prepare for was the appearance of the corporate law partner in Wheein’s life.

No. Wheein loves her. She’s sure of it. She just need more time to crack through her defense and they would be together again, how could they not? They were perfect for each other. All she need was time, and no distraction. She stood up, renewed in her belief, all she need to do is figured out where Wheein was for the time being.

 

“Where’s Wheein?”

Hyejin looked up when she heard the short sharp knock followed by the question from her direct boss. A tiny smirk appeared on her lips as she leaned back on her chair and regarded the woman with a calm gaze.

“She took leave of absence for a couple of days.”

Hyejin took pleasure when she saw the frown of frustration forming on Yuri’s face. She wished she could cackle, but that would be too obvious.

“Where? I never authorized her leave.”

“I don’t know, I’m not her keeper and you don’t have to authorize it, she’s still my direct subordinate, so I could authorize her leave without going through you.”

Frustration rolled off from Yuri’s body like a wave, the dark eyes that glared at her were no different, and Hyejin’s smile widened.

“But shouldn’t you at least know their whereabouts or any reachable number in case of emergency?”

Hyejin raised one of her eyebrow, “Well, we don’t have any pressing case right now, it’s all still under control, beside she’s a junior. Any emergency can be handled by the senior.”

“Next time, any authorization for junior lawyer’s leave have to go through me.” Hyejin could sense the bitterness and anger lacing her words, but she just nodded nonchalantly, eyes glinting with challenge.

“No problem.  When can I get the memo then?”

“Memo?”

“Yes, HR memo about this new rule. We’re talking about leave authorization here, that’s HR job. Good luck getting the consent from the other partners, you do know that to change any rules you will need other partner’s consent right?”

Hyejin smiled sweetly when Yuri stared at her. The other woman finally nodded at her tersely and opened the door with more force than necessary before glancing back at her at the last minute, “Do you know where Miss Moon is? I need to talk to her about something.”

 “Again. Not her keeper, have no idea.”

She shouldn’t feel any happiness when she saw the scowl formed on Yuri’s face, but there’s just a erse satisfaction blooming inside of her whenever she saw the annoyance flashed on the partner’s face, *Karma is a goddamn *

***

 

Byul traced a lazy pattern on Wheein’s back – who still sleeping peacefully on her stomach – smiling to herself, she felt some sort of pride for wearing the younger woman out until she was out like a light. She thought back at all the things that they had done together and her lower abdomen tightened in response, filled with the sudden desire to wake Wheein up and make love to her again.

They had spent all Sunday in bed – their love making ranging from wild bordering on desperate to achingly slow and sweet – with only brief respite for food out of necessity and because Byul didn’t think she could have another s without going into a cardiac arrest.

Wheein stirred – cheek still flushed from sleep – her dark eyes opening slowly while a satisfied smile formed on her lips, and Byul could feel her heart pounding heavily in her chest at the sight in front of her.

“Morning...” Wheein reached out and traced the older woman’s jaw with her fingertips, “I don’t think I could move.” She laughed when she saw the smirk forming on Byul’s lips. “Don’t get too cocky.” She groaned as she rolled her body around and stretched, giving Byul the opportunity to trailed her lips on Wheein’s neck and bite it lightly, making Wheein hummed as her fingers combed through Byul’s hair lazily.

“Well... if my memory served me right, you’re enjoying it.”

“Oh yeah, yesterday morning... and then the afternoon, and then last night and then as the dawn breaks... Byul... I serious don’t want to move.”

Byul laughed against Wheein’s throat, hands skimming down the length of Wheein’s body, before resting it on her hip, “Well... we could have a reprise of yesterday.”

Wheein chuckled, slapping Byul’s hand away playfully, “You’re insatiable. Honestly though, I’m sore, I think I used muscles that I never knew even exist.”

The picture of Wheein with both of her legs up as Byul pounded inside of her with their favorite toy flashed on Byul’s mind and she growled, her lower region clenched at the memory, “Your fault, if you don’t look or taste so good, I won’t be this addicted to you.” She took one pink into and led gently.

Wheein’s lips parted in a soft moan, her breathing becoming ragged as Byul’s hand ran over her taut stomach down to find the liquid heat between her legs, “Byul...” she hissed when Byul’s fingers slide into her, her hips bucked as Byul’s thumb glide over her .

Byul watched Wheein’s face intently, taking in the deepening flush on her cheek, the darkening of her eyes, the breath that came in short pant. She felt Wheein’s inner muscle tightening around her fingers, growing bold by Wheein’s reaction, she quickened the movement of her fingers made easier by the slickness of Wheein’s arousal, coaxing another out of Wheein’s body.

Blinded for a moment by the intense pleasure, Wheein inhaled sharply as her body surrendered to the ual satisfaction that Byul gave her, “Baby... what you do to me....”

“Loving you...” Byul gaze deep into Wheein’s eyes, catching the flicker of emotion that appeared briefly in the dark orb. She gasped when Wheein grasped her shoulder, pulling her into a deep kiss, tangling their tongues together and once again lost in each other arms.

 

Hand intertwined together, soft sands beneath their bare feet, ocean breeze playing with their hairs, the full moon looming on the clear sky above them, lighting their path on their nightly stroll along the beach, while the sounds of waves softly crashing filled the comfortable silence between them, Wheein was sad that it was their last night in the Island of the Gods.

She hated the thought of leaving their own little slice of heaven, their vacation had been a dream, sailing on a private yacht in the break of dawn to catch the sun rise in the horizon amidst swimming dolphin, navigating through the throng of people and haggling at the traditional market, eating local spicy pig ling which Byul bravely endure since Wheein loves spicy food while she could barely tolerate them, having her sunglasses snatched away by monkey much to Wheein’s delight and fascination, dinner on the beach overlooking the ocean serenaded by the local singers, to moonlight stroll on the beach just like right now.

The thought of returning back to Seoul weighed on her mind, it felt like being plucked from a beautiful dream only to be thrown back to reality. “Penny for your thoughts?” Wheein looked up and smiled a little, shaking her head slightly.

“Can we just stay here?”

Byul stopped, turning sideway to cup Wheein’s face carefully with her hand, she saw the melancholy on Wheein’s eyes and brushed her thumb over Wheein’s cheek softly, “I wish we could.”

Wheein sighed, sitting down on the soft sand, she drew an abstract pattern with her finger. Returning back to Seoul mean returning back to her current situation and the memory of the awkward dinner came tumbling down along with Byul’s reaction to it.

Byul sat down behind her, wrapping her arms around the younger woman allowing Wheein to lean back against her, they stayed that way for a while until Wheein broke the silence.

“Why did you tell me to go to the dinner with Yuri?” 

Byul’s heart twitched, although she was not sure whether it was because she heard the sadness in Wheein’s voice or because Wheein’s question brought back the memory of seeing Wheein in Yuri’s arms.

Tucking her chin on Wheein’s shoulder, she tightened her hold on the younger woman’s body, “I know that you’re uncomfortable with the whole situation, but sometimes, facing it head on would be better than just running away from it.”

“It’s just... for me it felt like you pushed me away, like you literally turned your back on me and....” Wheein shifted, hiding her face on the crook of Byul’s neck, the shiver that suddenly wrecked through her body lessened slightly as Byul wrapped her tighter in her arms, holding her for dear life.

Pressing her lips on Wheein’s temple, Byul was consumed by the guilt that started from the pit of her stomach that climbed up fast and ended up in a burst on her heart, “No...” she croaked out her voice, “Never... I would never turn my back on you....”

“Don’t ever make promises that you couldn’t keep...”

The whispered words painted the young woman fragility and Byul closed her eyes tightly, “This is a promise that I could and would always keep, Wheepup... no matter what happened, I will always stand beside you.”

Wheein was silent for a moment, struggling to voice out the remnant of hurt that she could still felt lingering, "It just didn’t feel that way at the time, she just cornered me and she... I was so happy when you came, but I saw the look on your face, you looked... you looked as if you just thought the worst had happened and that you simply closed off... and..."

Byul's guilt intensified and she only have herself to blame, "She was your first love... and judging from the way you still reacted strongly at the sight of her, I thought..."

A small smile ghosted over Wheein’s lips, to say that she was disappointed would be an understatement, she wanted to yell at Byul, but she couldn’t, it was just too human of a mistake to blame her for it, "Are you turning into a mind reader now?"

“No….”

“You need to realized that you’re not always right.”

Byul smiled at that slight reprimand and nodded, “Yes, sweetheart.”

Wheein pinched Byul’s arm lightly, “Good. You and your denseness, I don’t know why I put up with you.”

“Hey, I have many other charms.” Byul protested weakly, glad that Wheein already smiling at her again.

“Yes, you do. Byul…  No matter what happened in the future, promise me that we will talk about it? I don’t want us to end up like a K-drama.”

Byul laughed, pressing a kiss on Wheein’s cheek, she whispered in earnest, “Always...”

Wheein looked up, her breath catches slightly when she saw the emotion that written clearly on Byul’s face, holding the arms that held hers just a little tighter, Wheein pressed her lips on the Byul’s pulse point, “Always...”

 ***

 

Byul knocked on Old Jung’s office and walked in without waiting for his permission. The request for Byul to come to his office came as no surprise for the platinum haired lawyer. She pretty sure that everyone with half a brain could connect the coincidence timing of hers and Wheein’s absence of leave.

She took a seat on the plush chair in front of the old man work desk and crossed her legs calmly, waiting to hear what the old man had to say.

Jung Doo Hoon was a fair man – a man of integrity who love his family above all else – he always prides himself for always doing the right thing, but as he looked at the young woman that he considered as his protégé, he wasn’t sure whether he could keep that pride of his.

“We’re expanding, Byul-ah.”

One sculptured eyebrow rose, Byul tried to guess what the old man would say to her, but never in her wildest imagination that it would be that.

“As you know, we’ve been expanding throughout Asia and South East Asia, but me and Old Kwon have been talking about expanding to Europe and America as well. We already established a good networking system with some of the lawyers in Europe and just a couple of days ago, we got a green light to talk about possibility of partnership with one of the biggest law fim in London. I assumed you are familiar with Grant & Allen LLP?”

Byul nodded, her gut twisted, she got the inclination of where this conversation was going and she didn’t like it.

“They wanted a pre-run, an exchange of lawyers, they would have one of their senior lawyer stations here in Korea as a liaison and we would station one of our own there in London. Short term of course, until we finalized the partnership, and then depending on the negotiation, it could be a permanent base.”

He looked at Byul with searching eyes, watching for any kind of reaction and received none. Clearing his throat, he looked at Byul expectantly, “Byul-ah... this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, we’re talking about branching out to the world, here. So.... I couldn’t think of anyone else that could represent our firm better than you.”

“How long?”

The old man smiled brightly and Byul felt sick to her stomach.

“You would do it?”

“I’m asking for how long.”

“6 months’ top.”

“And if I refuse?”

The older man frowned, “Then you are not a team player, I would have to give you a disciplinary action.”

“Disciplinary... as in what? Benching me without pay?  Demote me to senior associate?” Byul looked imploringly at the older man from her seat, noting his uncomfortable stance, his avoidance to look at her in the eyes, “No matter which action you choose, you would need to secure majority vote in the partner’s meeting.”

He cleared his throat, hands clasped tightly in front of him as he looked carefully at Byul, “It’s doable. Push comes to shove, as managing partner I hold the tie breaker vote.”

“And you would vote against me.” Byul stated calmly, already knew what the answer would be even without his confirmation.

“Yes.”

She leaned forward, legs spread, hands clasped together mirroring him, “This is not about me being the only one qualified to represent the firm, isn’t it? This is about me and Wheein, you want me out of the picture.” She delivered her words as calmly as possible, eyes trained fully to the man that was her hero for such a long time, the same person who believed and stood by her for the last decade, yet now they were standing on different side of the fences.

He threw his glasses on the desk and glared at Byul, “You are a bad influence for her! You practically abducted my daughter out of the country, I was worried sick for the better part of the week, thinking the worst had happened because I can’t get a hold on her! She never did that before! She won’t even talk to me now!”

Byul arched her eyebrow at his outburst before calmly spoke to him, “And you never thought that it was because you pushed her to the one person that broke her heart not so long ago?”

“And you think that she would be better off with you? I know you, Byul! I know your track record with women! What would happen when you grow bored with her? I know the way you treat women, and I will not have you cast away my daughter like she was used goods! You need to stay away from her, you hear me?”

Byul wished that it didn’t hurt, that words shouldn’t be able to hurt her as much as this, but it did. Coming from the man that she respected and knowing the truth about the way he really thought about her hurts. “I would never hurt Wheein.”

“Yet. But you will. Like I said, I know you. And I will not let my daughter be hurt by you. So this is how it’s going to be, you will go to London, you will stay there for the allotted time and you will not contact my daughter, no skyping, no call, no text, no email. Nothing. She would be sad for a while, bless her soft heart, but she would move on, she would forget you.”

“Because there would be Yuri by her side? Is that it?” her voice was filled with silent rage, but she knew the old man noticed the cutting edge of her voice.

“This is not about her. This is about me, protecting my daughter. I know how much this firm mean for you, this is your whole world, your whole life. So I suggest you think it through and think it carefully, I will have your answer by the end of the week. I hope you would choose wisely.”

She knew she was being dismissed, it was clear from the finality of his words and it was clear from his movement as well. Picking up his discarded reading glasses, he put it back on and looked at the documents in front of him, ignoring her presence, as if she was not still sitting there in front of him.

She gave him one last final look before uncoiling herself from the seat, she wanted to laugh at the absurdity of the situation, but she was too angry at him, angry at the situation and angry at herself to even produce a sound. So she did the only thing that she could think of right then, she left.

 

Walking out from Old Jung’s office, she paused when she came face to face with the woman that rolled the dice and created the snowballing avalanche in her life.

“Welcome back.”

Byul wished she could wipe the smirk off her face, preferably with her knuckles, but she knew that violence would only make matter worse. Byul gestured toward the closed door, face passive, she barely took a couple of steps when Yuri’s voice stopped her in her track. 

“I heard congratulation is in order.”

“Excuse me?”

“My father let me in on the potential collaboration with Grant & Allen LLP, heard they sending you to London.”

Byul smiled calmly, both hands tucked inside her pants pocket, she regarded Yuri with a cool gaze, “I haven’t agree on it. I’m sure there are other people that would be qualified to fill the position, you maybe, since you have experiences working in foreign law firm.”

“I thought it’s been decided that it would be you.”

Byul saw the brief panic that flashed across Yuri’s face, smirking slightly she took a step closer to the other woman, “By whom? The managing partner? Well, I might not be equity partner, but I’m still a partner, I will ask for a partner meeting, we’ll vote on it.”

Taking another step closer to the dark haired woman until they almost stood toe to toe, Byul cocked her head slightly, “Or you didn’t think of it when you asked Old Jung to break the news to me?”

A telltale of flush suffused Yuri’s face and Byul need no further confirmation, “what do you think you’re doing? Do you even think about this firm? You’re pitting us against each other here.”

Yuri flinched and took a step backward, “All fair in love and war...” she gulped and her suddenly dry lips. “If... if you give me your words that you would stay away from Wheein, then I will vote against you going to London. You can stay here, just... let Wheein go.”

Byul’s jaw clenched, “What?” her voice was dangerously low. 

“I will do anything to get her back, Wheein is mine. I won’t let you take her away from me. I don’t care what I have to do, I will win her back.”

“Wheein is not a thing!” Byul hissed, she took a step closer to the woman, eyes flashed with indignant anger, “She’s not a trophy to be won and she is not a possession. If that’s how you really feel about her? then you didn’t deserve her at all.”

She stared at the younger woman for a brief few moment, making sure that she already drove the point home before quickly walking away, she nearly at her limit not to strangle the woman.

 

Yuri was still shaking with fury after her brief encounter with the platinum haired lawyer, *how dare she... how dare she said that she didn’t deserve Wheein...* she slammed the door to her office and halted when she saw the subject of her dream standing there in her office.

“Wheein....”

The cold gaze that Wheein gave her sent jolt to her heart, but she forced a smile to form on her face as she approached the smaller woman.

“I heard that you looked for me? Anything I could do for you, Partner Kwon?”

“I... “

slammed shut and turned into a grim line when she saw a shadow of love mark on the juncture of Wheein’s neck, barely covered by her shirt’s collar. Bitterness... that’s all she could felt at that particular moment, she knew exactly who put that mark on Wheein’s neck, she knew who Wheein spent the week with and she could barely hold onto her logic.

“Yes... I wanted to tell you the good news myself.”

“What good news?”

“We’re branching out.” Yuri smiled, “Grant & Allen LLP agreed to collaborate with us, we’re going to have a branch office in London, can you believe that?”

The smile that Wheein bestowed upon her this time was genuine, “That’s great! Although I don’t know why you have to tell that to me personally, I mean, I would hear about it anyway when the partners announce it.”

“Yeah well, we’re still hashing the detail of the partnership, but once Miss Moon stationed there as our liaison....”

“What...” Wheein cut her off, clearly she misheard, Byul? Byul going to London?

“She didn’t tell you? We’re exchanging lawyers with them, and Byul will be the one that represent the firm, she would need to stay there for 6 months at least.”

"It’s not the good news that you wanted to tell me isn’t it? It’s this...you did this didn’t you?"

Yuri had the grace to look offended by the accusation, feigning innocence, "Why you always think the worst of me? I'm new here, do you really think I have the pull to appoint her to go and without her consent?"

"She would not.. she would've told me..."

"Maybe you didn’t know her as well as you think, this is a chance in a lifetime, surely she has plan of her own, to spread her wings and what not."

"Byul would tell me!!" Wheein’s eyes flashed with her burgeoning anger, she felt sick in the pit of her stomach and the room started to feel closing in on her, she can’t be in the same room with this woman.

Storming out from the office – ignoring Yuri’s shout of her name – she ran to Byul’s office, she needed to talk to Byul, this can’t be happening, not now… not when…

“Is it true? They sending you to London?” she went inside Byul’s office without knocking, startling the older woman who quickly stood up and went to her.

“Where did you hear that?” concerned filled Byul’s face when she looked at the distraught look on Wheein’s face.

“Just tell me that’s not true! You’re not going to London!”

Byul wrapped her arms around Wheein who went willingly, holding onto Byul for dear life, “No… I’m not going anywhere. Wheein, look at me… “

She cupped Wheein’s face with her hand and smiled tenderly at her, “No one could make me leave, okay?”

“But….”

Byul shook her head slightly, “Do you trust me?”

“Byul….”

Byul looked at Wheein’s eyes firmly, “Do you trust me?” she repeated, wanting nothing else but to erase the shadow of doubt in Wheein’s eyes, she knew who put it there and the anger that she managed to curb earlier rose again with a vengeance.

“Yes….” Wheein whispered, her entire being wanted to believe in Byul. She closed her eyes when Byul pressed a kiss on her heated forehead, trying to find solace in Byul whispered words that everything would be alright, it has to be, because she couldn’t imagine her life without Byul in it. Not anymore.

***

 

The rest of the day went by in a blur and Wheein found herself staring at the text that she just received from Yuri, cold dread spreading on her body.

*Byul called for a partner meeting, but I just talked to some of the other partners, they couldn’t agree more that Byul should be the one that represent the firm in London.*

Lost in her thought, she was startled when Byul walked out from the bathroom, hands still busy drying off her hair, “Byul… did you call for a partner meeting about the partnership?”

“Yes, I want to settle this non-sense once and for all, who told you?”

“I… I just received a text from the juniors, they heard about an emergency partner meeting, so I thought it was that…” Wheein looked down, unable to look at Byul, she was afraid that Byul would saw through her lie. Guilt weighed heavily on her, they promised each other that they would always talk about things, but she knew that this is not a simple matter, she knew why Yuri was so adamant to send Byul out of the country, what she didn’t know was just how much pull she had with the other partners.

“Are you close with the other partners? I mean, you need majority votes right?”

“I was the one that hijacked the family law partner and the IPR partner from their previous law firms, they will vote for me, the others are swing voters, but I can be really persuasive, don’t worry.”

Wheein gave her a shaky smile, her heart thudding wildly, “What happened if you lost?”

“I’ll quit.”

Wheein’s heart nearly stopped at Byul’s answer, she knew how much the firm mean to Byul. It was her home, she poured all of her heart and soul into the firm, it was as much her legacy as the other two founding fathers, and the thought of Byul losing it just because of her nearly killed Wheein inside.

No… she couldn’t let it happened. Not to her Byul… she would make things right, she wouldn’t let anything or anyone hurt Byul anymore. Not because of her….

She looked down on her phone, fingers shaking as she typed the reply message, *You need to stop this instance, leave Byul out of it, what do you want?*

She received the reply in mere seconds, *You know what I want, we could start by breakfast tomorrow, just you and me. Let’s talk.*

Wheein looked at the message, her heart felt like there was mountain of stones pressing against it, taking a shaky breath, she looked up and watched Byul drying her hair while sitting at the edge of bed, watching the news, looking peaceful and she wanted to keep her like that, happy and carefree.

*Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow.* she typed the words quickly and put away her phone on the night stand.

“Byul?”

“Hmm?” Byul looked back at her and the tender smile on Byul’s face pierced through Wheein’s heart. She’s doing the right thing, she repeated those words in her head and gave Byul a smile of her own.

“Make love to me…”

Light twinkled in Byul’s eyes and Wheein memorized it, etching it into her brain, Byul’s smile, Byul’s warm eyes, Byul’s lips, Byul’s touch…

*I’m sorry….* Wheein whispered in her mind as Byul’s lips locked with hers, wrapping her arms tightly around the woman that managed to make her believe in love once more. Byul gave her that gift, so she will return it with another gift of her own, she would protect Byul with the only way that she knew how.

*I love you….*

She said it clearly inside her head before she was lost in Byul’s arms for the last time. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note

Hello lovelies! One more chapter before we conclude this story and I'm still contemplating on how to end it XD Hope you enjoy the roller coaster and tell me your thoughts!! Say hello to Wheein's mom, I really enjoy writing her and her face claim is Kim Hye Soo, the woman that Hyejin called out in the Blue Dragon Award. Anyway, have a great weekend and anyone, please keep me company by writing to me, since I'll be spending my day on weekend class. Why do I have to take class on weekend???? *Kill self*  Talk to you guys again soon!