Last Chapter

Charmed

Guilt.

The guilt felt like a bitter poison on her tongue when she lied to Byul about why she won’t be going with her to the office. Saying that she had to meet with a client for a breakfast meeting, she gave Byul a long lingering deep kiss before she went on her way with a heavy heart.

Wheein grimaced when she arrived at the front of the American style brunch café near the office, her feet hesitant to walk inside. Taking a deep breath to brave herself, she put on a smile when one of the waitresses opened the door for her and thanked her politely, the café was almost filled, yet she found Yuri easily.

Yuri quickly stood up when she saw Wheein walking toward her table, her smile was nearly blinding and brightened up her beautiful features.

"You look beautiful. As always." Wheein accepted the kiss that the older woman gave her on her cheek before she took the seat across from her.

"I heard their breakfast special is good, do you want to order that? Or do you want anything else?" Yuri looked over at her from across the table, menu book already opened in front of her.

"Ice Americano would be fine, I'm not really hungry."

"Breakfast special it is then."

Wheein rolled her eyes at Yuri's blatant disregard to her words and let the older woman gave their order to the waitress. She looked sideway through the window, watching people milling around the street, all busy going through with their life and there she was, ignoring the stare that Yuri sent her way.

"Are you just going to ignore me again?"

“I agree to have breakfast with you, not ignoring you was never mentioned."

Yuri heaved a deep sigh, "Will we ever have a civilize conversation again without you trying to shoot me down every time?"

"Depends, will you stop acting like an the whole time?" Wheein smiled sweetly at her for a brief second before her lips turned into a grim line once again.

"An ? Really now?" Yuri smiled, as if finding it amusing.

"Oh I don’t know, let’s see, how would you describe forcing me to work inside your office for almost a week, doing things that I have no idea about? What else? Oh right, forcing the partners to vote for you to get rid of Byul. I thought you would be above that, but oh noooo... you just keep on lowering my expectation of you. So congratulations on that."

Yuri actually laughed at Wheein's annoyance, "God, this is why I missed you so much. You're the only woman in this world that dare say those kind of words to my face."

Wheein raised her eyebrow at that, "I wonder why, oh, maybe because you keep surrounding yourself with foolish women that will just crumble at your feet for just a scrap of your attention."

"Isn’t that what your Byul been known for as well? Your dad told me a very interesting story about her, apparently she had quite a reputation as a heartbreaker."

"At least she was honest from the get go. She never gives people hope just because she likes having fans." Wheein's eyes flashed with anger at the mention of Byul's name. She had no right to even breathe Byul's name, let alone comparing herself to Byul.

"Speaking about Byul..."

"Stop. Whatever you want to say, stop." Wheein took a deep breath, suddenly feeling tired, "Let’s just get on with it, what exactly that you want from me?"

Yuri simply looked at her for a couple of minutes before she leaned forward, both of her hands reaching out to clasp Wheein’s hands in hers.

“A second chance, just give me a second chance to show you that this time it would be different. Baby, I came out, my family knew and accepted it, they couldn’t be happier when they found out that you were the one that I chose. My family adores you and I love you more than life, so please give me a second chance to make this work between us.”

Wheein could see the desperation in Yuri’s eyes and her heart goes out to her, that she still clung so tightly to their memory together.

“Honey?”

Wheein froze when she heard the familiar voice. Hands still clasped tightly between Yuri’s, she could only whirl around and came eye to eye with a disapproving look of her mother.

“Mom!”

“Shouldn’t you be in the office?”

“We’re having a breakfast meeting, Auntie.” Yuri smoothly replied, a polite smile already forming on her lips.

“Didn’t look like a meeting to me.”  Mrs. Jung glanced at their clasped hands with disdain until Yuri finally had the grace to release Wheein’s hand.

“Mom, what are you doing here?” Wheein stood up and gave her mother a hug, a part of her was elated to see her mother, yet, another part of her was scared when she saw the dark look that crossed her mother’s face.

“I was supposed to meet my friends here for breakfast, but they cancelled. Imagine my shock when I saw the two of you here.” She shooed Wheein aside before gracefully sitting in front of Yuri, relegating Wheein to sit near the window beside her.

“Please join us for breakfast then, we just ordered. Do you want me to get you the menu?”

“Sure, although I think I’ll just have some coffee. I somehow lost my appetite.”

“Right, of course.” Yuri forced another smile into her face. She knew that Mrs. Jung didn’t exactly welcome her with open arms, but she believed that with time, she’ll be able to charm her future mother in law as well. She quickly approached the waitress and fetched the menu herself, good manner always a plus point in front of the elder.

She sat back down after giving Mrs. Jung the menu and tried to make small talk but the atmosphere grew increasingly awkward by the second and she starting to sweat under her collar, “This is nice, remember when we used to have meals like this together when you visited us in New York? The good old times.”

Mrs. Jung looked dismissingly at her before perusing the menu once again, “Really? I don’t recall.” She closed the menu with a sigh and looked at Wheein – who had been really quiet the whole time – “Since you already skip the office today, why don’t you and I have a real breakfast, let’s go the Park’s restaurant.”

“Ah, let me settle the bill first then.” Yuri rushed to stand, but Mrs. Jung told her to sit back down.

“No need to rush, enjoy your breakfast here, I was talking to my daughter only. You wouldn’t want to intrude on our mother-daughter bonding time, right? It’s been awhile since I saw my daughter. She’d been neglecting me lately, but then again, she’s dating a very beautiful woman. Young love, you know, they probably never leave the bed. Ah well, you don’t mind right?”

She didn’t wait for Yuri to reply, simply standing up, she motioned for Wheein to follow her. “Good day, Yuri-ssi.”

Too dumbfounded by what her mother just said, Wheein followed her without any other thought, *what just happened?*

Lost for words after the crude dismissal, Yuri had to clear just to find her voice again, “Of course, have a good day for you as well, Auntie.” She bowed to the older woman before looking back at Wheein.

“Wheein, I reserved a table for us at Jungsik Dang at 7 PM tonight, will you be at the office afterwards, or should I pick you up somewhere?”

“It’s fine. I’ll be there.”

Mrs. Jung raised her eyebrow at her daughter’s answer, but said nothing, she’ll just pry the full story out of her later on.

***

 

To say that Yuri was pissed was an understatement, Mrs. Jung practically ruined her chance to get an immediate answer from Wheein about the status of their relationship and with the partners meeting set up after lunch today, she needed her answer to direct the course of the vote. Maybe she should ask for a postponement, any time after tonight would be better.

She slowed her pace when she saw Byul came out from her office, directly in her line of direction toward her own office.

The platinum blond lawyer nodded at her in passing but Yuri stopped her on her track.

“I’m going to recommend someone else to go to London.”

“Excuse me?” Byul turned around slowly, eyebrow knitted together in confusion.

“In the partner’s meeting today, I would recommend someone else to go to London instead of you.”

Byul didn’t like the self-satisfied smug smile that spread on her lips and she wondered just what other plans that Yuri had on her sleeves.

“What’s with the change of heart?” she cautiously asked, by habit she tucked both of her hands on her pantsuit pockets.  

“It’s not me that had a change of heart.” The smile grew wider just like Byul’s suspicion got deeper.

“What do you mean?”

“I just had a nice little breakfast date with Wheein this morning. She agreed that our relationship deserved a second chance. She wanted us to take it slow, get to know each other again, start dating. I couldn’t be happier, so I decided to be…. How do you say it in Korean? Benevolent. Yes, out of the goodness of my heart and of course, because apparently I don’t have to be afraid of competition anymore…” 

Byul let her ranted long enough, and the more she talked, the more Byul knew that something just didn’t added up, although it didn’t lessen her growing anger, “What are you talking about?”

“Is there a matter with your hearing or there’s something a matter with your brain? I thought I was pretty clear about it.”

“You lost me at nice little breakfast date with Wheein, she had a meeting with a client this morning, don’t lie.”

Yuri laughed, “Oh my god, this is so precious. How do I put it gently for you…” she tilted her head and gave Byul a condescendingly look of sympathy, “She lied. She was with me this morning. Oh don’t look like that… did someone just stole your puppy?”

“Wheein would never lie to me.”

“Oh no…” Yuri let out a breathy laugh, “That’s so sweet, a bit on the naïve side, but sweet nonetheless. You didn’t believe me?” She cocked her eyebrow at Byul.

She presented her phone and pressed the speed dial, putting it on speaker as both of them listened to the sound of connection going through and soon Wheein’s voice can be heard from the other side of the line.

“What?”

“Just wanted to remind you about our date tonight, Baby.”

They both heard Wheein sighed, “Yuri, seriously, you just told me about dinner to my face like 20 minutes ago, I still remember and I already promised you that I will be there.”

Yuri chuckled when she saw the look of disbelief on Byul’s face right in front of her, her glee was cut short however when Wheein continued her words, “Have you talked to the other partners? They will vote for Byul staying right? You promised me….”

Yuri quickly slid her phone to cut the connection off, but too late, Byul already heard the words.

She narrowed her eyes to the now silent woman, she was right in guessing that something wasn’t right. What she didn’t believe was the length that this woman would go through just to get what she wanted, and Wheein… Byul clenched her fists inside of her pocket, Wheein lied. No matter the reason, she freaking lied to her. 

“You blackmailed her into giving you another chance? That’s the reason of your benevolence?” Byul almost spat the last word, eyes boring deeply into the other woman and was disgusted when she didn’t find any remorse in her clear dark eyes.

“She came to me on her own free will.”

“You honestly want to argue legalese with me? I heard you promised her your vote, counselor. That’s undue influence. You really stoop that low? All for what?” Byul shook her head, she pitied her.  She pities the fact that Yuri had to resort to this type of low tactic just to get Wheein back instead of fighting for her fair and square.

“You’re a coward. Instead of fighting me for her head on, you resorted to this. Are you really that selfish? Did you even consider Wheein’s feeling before doing all this?”

“Wheein will see that her rightful place was beside me.” Yuri tilted her chin in defiance. She hated the look on Byul’s eyes, as if she was someone unworthy.

Byul scoffed, “And delusional as well. I know that you’re used to getting what you wanted in life, but this? This is just pathetic.”

“It would make a difference if I care about what you think of me, unfortunately I don’t. At the end of the day, I win, and that’s all that matter.” Yuri smiled at her adversary, elated by the feeling of finally defeating her.

“We’ll see.” Quickly turning around, Byul cursed internally, she need to fix the mess that her little minx created and she need to do it fast, *How could she be that goddamn stupid, damn it,  Jung Wheein!*

***

 

Mrs. Jung shifted her body and looked at her daughter, confused by what she just heard, “Did you just say vote to make Byul stay?”

They were on their way to the Park restaurant when Yuri called. Avoiding her mother searching gaze by looking out the window of their car, Wheein bit her lips and wondered whether she should tell her mother the truth.

Wheein felt her mother fingers on her chin, directing her to look squarely at the older woman, “Honey, look at me. What’s wrong?”

“Maybe you should ask your husband what’s wrong.” Angry tears spilled out from her eyes once she saw the look of concern on her mother’s face. The restraint emotion finally burst out in the open. Angrily wiping her tears away, she turned her face away from her mother’s gentle eyes, afraid that she would burst into tears again

“What did he do this time?” silence met her question and the elder Jung sighed, her daughter and her stubbornness.

“Sweetheart, I can’t help you if you won’t talk to me.”

“Then call him and tell him not to send Byul to London!”

Taken aback by Wheein sudden outburst, she could only watch Wheein angrily wiped another errand tears that spilled down her flushed cheeks.

She remembered her husband’s anger when she finally told him that Wheein was with Byul, off to another country. He was concern with Byul’s reputation with women. She understood his concern, after all Wheein was their only child, her father’s princess and she already went through a tough break once. It was a parents’ prerogative to want to protect their children, but to actually send Byul away? That’s just too much.

“And that phone call with Yuri? What was it about?”

“Byul called a partner’s meeting, to vote on who will go to London. I have no idea what Yuri did, but she secured most of the partner’s vote and told me that if I give our relationship another chance then she would vote for Byul to stay… ”

“You did not.” Mrs. Jung looked at Wheein’s stormy eyes and found her answer, “I did not raise a stupid daughter.”

“What do you think I should do! Just sit back and do nothing? This is all my fault! I did this to Byul! If she lost the vote and have to go to London, she said she would quit and this firm means everything to her! And…”

“Honey, stop. You’re not making any sense.”

“I’m making perfect sense! I have to make things right! I can’t let Byul suffer because of me!”

“Why does it matter to you that Byul lost the firm, she could jump ship or just make her own law firm, why sacrifice yourself?”

“Because I love her!!”

The car slowed down and came into a full stop in front of Wheein’s favorite restaurant. “Madam, we’re here.” The driver who had been silent the whole ride spoke up hesitantly, afraid that he intruded on something important.

“Could you just drive us around, please?” the driver nodded and started the car again, keeping his eyes straight to the road ahead.

Mrs. Jung sighed and took one of Wheein hand into hers and clasped it gently, “You love her enough to do that for her?”

Wheein’s eyes was clear despite the tears that started to gather again in her eyes, she blinked and the tears fell, but she smiled at her mother, her first smile in this tiring day.

“All I ever wanted was to keep the smile on her face, nothing else matter. It doesn’t matter whether or not I could be there to share her happiness as long as she’s safe and free and happy. Byul need to be here for Yongsun unnie, she would be broken hearted if she has to leave her and like I said, the firm means the world for her. I want to protect what is important to Byul… is that so wrong?”

“Did you talk to her about it?” Mrs. Jung asked her daughter calmly.

“What?”

“Did you talk to Byul about it? Did you ask her the reason why she would rather quit than go to London? Did you tell her about Yuri and the votes?”

“Byul would never leave Yongsun unnie, of course she would rather quit.”

“Yongsun… the prosecutor? The one that was held hostage alongside Byul?” Wheein nodded, of course her mother knew about the case, her father must’ve told her about it.

“I have no idea what that woman got to do with this, but did Byul specifically told you that? Or it was just based on your assumption?”

“You don’t know anything about them, it was not just my assumption, Mom. It’s just the way it is.”

“But you didn’t have confirmation directly from Byul, right?”

“I don’t have to ask! Byul love Yongsun unnie!”

“Let’s say that it’s true. That Byul love her, love her enough to just leave everything that she worked so hard to achieve just to be with her, then tell me, what is she doing with you?”

“She…. We…. It’s just….”

“?” Wheein blushed heavily at her mother’s directness and averted her eyes away.

“Honey… I know Byul since she was still in law school. I’m very familiar with her track record with women, I even scolded her about it. Now, how long have you two been doing it.”

“Okay mom, seriously, this is getting uncomfortable, we’re talking about my life here.”

“Oh please, don’t get innocence with me. Tell me, how long have you two been doing it?”

“I don’t know, two months or three months, maybe.”

“Okay, in all those times, did Byul ever been with another woman?” Wheein shook her head.

“How long since you practically moved in with her? Don’t lie, I visited your place a couple of times but you were never there.”

“I… maybe a month?” Wheein bit her lips.

“In those three months since you two have been dating, nuh uh… young lady, don’t interrupt me, hear me out first. In those three months, is it always about ?”

Wheein shook her head again, she starting to get the feeling where her mother was going with this.

“Let me sum it up for you then. Byul, who was notorious for being unattainable by anyone. I repeat. She was known to have an allergy for relationship. Not only did she was exclusively being intimate with you for 3 months, I do believe that’s a record, congratulation, but she also let you moved in with her. Now, you said that it was not always about , so I would guess sometimes the two of you just spend time together and then go to sleep together, am I right? You don’t have to answer that, because of course I’m right.”

She raised her eyebrow at Wheein’s stubbornness which was obvious by the firmness of lips and the doubt that still lingered in her eyes.

“Like I said, I did not raise a stupid daughter. Do I have to spell it out for you then?”

“Fine! Oh my god mom, seriously! So Byul and I were dating, happy?”

“With you? No. Honey, have you ever think that the reason why Byul did not want to leave Seoul was not because of Yongsun? Maybe… just maybe, it was because of you?”

“No… she never said anything… we… she… she didn’t want relationship.”

“Oh that’s just a weak argument. You two never talked about it, but from what I just hear from you, you two are already in a relationship. Honey, take it from someone that’s been on this earth longer than you. You two need to talk, be honest with each other. You need to ask her point blank why she would rather quit the Firm than leave the country. You need to ask her how she felt about all of this instead of making a rash decision and just take a selfish action, yes, what you did? Making a one sided decision was selfish. It was not romantic. It was just plain stupid.”

Wheein’s face crumbled at her mother’s words, the helplessness that she felt suffocating her, “What should I do….” She whispered softly, she made a mess and she didn’t know how to get herself out of it.

Mrs. Jung reached out and caressed her daughter’s face softly, “Go to that dinner and talk to Yuri, if she really loves you, she will let you go. Then go and talk to Byul, tell her that you love her, you will never know what she truly feels until you ask her about it.”

Wheein fell into her mother’s embrace and wept, letting her mother’s comforting embrace soothed her battered soul, “What about dad?” she hiccuped slightly and her mother grinned.

“Let me handle him, let’s see how long he’ll last sleeping on the couch.”

“Ewww Mom, too much information!”

“I’m talking about his bad back! Get your mind out of the gutter!” she pressed a kiss on Wheein’s forehead and tightened her hold on her precious little bundle.

“Now let’s go eat, all this emotional talk makes me hungry. And don’t even think about playing with your phone while you’re with me. I’m taking you out on a mother – daughter healing trip because we both need it and I miss you, so no interruption.”

“Aye… Aye… mam!”

“Wheein?”

“Hmm?”

“Good choice, I never like Yuri. But Byul, she has hope.”

Wheein grinned and let her head fell back into her mother’s shoulder, hugging her arms closely, “Mom… that’s a really good counter argument, why do you stop practicing law?”

“Because there’s no other job in this world that I cherish more than being your mother.” She pressed a kiss on Wheein’s head and laid her cheek on top of it afterwards.

Wheein smiled, burrowing herself deeper into her mother’s warm side, she closed her eyes and sighed, “I love you mom.”

“Me too, baby girl.”

***

 

Byul barged into the managing partner’s office without knocking, much to Old Jung’s annoyance, “What now?”

“Giving you an answer.”

“About London?” Byul nodded tersely.

“Let’s hear it then, I hope that you made the right decision.”

“I quit.”

The old man gaped at her, too shock with what just came out of Byul’s mouth. Sputtering his disbelief, he slowly took off his reading glass to look at Byul clearly, “What?”

“You might think that this Firm means the world to me, that you could use it as a leverage to send me away – as you put it none too gently – to protect your daughter. But the thing is old man....” Byul gave him a sad little smile, “this Firm means nothing if I don’t have Wheein in my life."

Byul raked her hands through her long hair and gave him a little shake of her head along with a small smile, "Somewhere along the line, your daughter becomes everything to me. Everything. So... I quit. There you have it.”

The old man’s face grew grim as he listened to Byul’s words. The sad smile that Byul gave him weighed heavily on him – this young woman that always smirked cockily at him – there was just too much vulnerability in her eyes right now.

“I promised Wheein that I will always be by her side and I intended to keep my promise, whether you want believe it or not, that’s your choice. You might know me before, old man, but you don’t know the woman that fell head over heels in love with your daughter."

She gave him a long look, it was bittersweet, as if she was saying goodbye with her eyes. He was her mentor, the man that she looked up to, and this firm had her blood, sweat and tears in it. But it was all paled in comparison to what she had to give up. She would not back down if Wheein was at stake, no matter what the consequences. Wheein is more important than all of this. She needs Wheein like air to breathe. Wheein is her life.

"Now excuse me, I need to get to Wheein before she did anything even more stupid.”

Alarmed by her last words, the old man stood up, “Wait, what do you mean by anything stupid?”

“Apparently she agreed to be with Yuri again as long as Yuri will vote to keep me here.” Byul shook her head, still couldn’t wrapped her mind around that little tidbit of information and the fact that the little minx lied to her face yet gave her a goodbye kiss afterwards.

The old man stayed quiet, lost for words once again.

“Take care.” Byul gave him a two fingers salute, another small smile gracing her feature and the older man could only watch his protégé, the one person that he loved just like his own daughter walked away from him.

 

 

Byul almost cursed out loud when Wheein didn’t answer her phone, she wanted to strangle the younger woman and shook her to her senses. What was she thinking? Was she even thinking when she decided to get back with Yuri? And for what? Protect her?

She walked into Yuri’s office purposely until she reached the other end of her work table, glaring at the woman who sat rigidly when she saw Byul towering over her.

“I just gave my two weeks’ notice to the managing partner, effective immediately. I just take away your leverage.”

She spread her arms on top of the table, leaning down slightly to look at Yuri in the eyes. 

“Consider this an early warning, Miss Kwon. Stay away from Wheein. If you’re still trying to get anywhere near her, I will ruin you.”

Shiver ran down Yuri’s back when she looked at the cold fury in Byul’s eyes.

“Here’s a little bit of facts that you didn’t even bother to check before making your move. Out of the eight partners in this law firm, I scouted and hijacked one third of them. They… and the rest of their associates will follow me out if I asked them. I recruited all the lawyers in the corporate department, they will follow me out. You can say goodbye to Hyejin and almost half the senior associates in the criminal department, they were loyal to her and her only.”

Yuri wanted to look away, yet she was unable to do so, the iciness of Byul’s voice was hypnotizing.

“One command. All it takes is one command from me and almost half of this firm man power will leave and where they go, the client will follow. Mark my words, stay the away from my girl or I'll make sure I'll ruin you, and if this law firm crumbles because of it, that's on you. You will single handedly ruined your father's legacy, Nod if you understand.”

Yuri gulped, only her pride prevented her from nodding, to follow Byul’s order like a puppet on a string.

She watched the woman left her office without looking back after saying her piece. Raking her fingers through her hair, Yuri shook her head. No. Moon Byul was just bluffing. She wouldn’t do such a thing. Not when Wheein was still in this firm.

She needed to make sure that Wheein accepted her proposal tonight, if Wheein was her fiancé again and soon bear her family name, Byul couldn’t and wouldn’t not anything to harm the firm.

Yes. Everything was still running according to plan, all she needed to do was to make sure that Wheein didn’t know that Byul already quit the firm.

Pressing the speed dial once more, she waited. She needed to know where Wheein was at that very moment to prevent any surprises.  

***

 

Byul was pacing inside her office, she still couldn’t reach Wheein almost all day long, the line went through but she just didn’t pick up her phone and now it just went straight to voice mail, *Where are you, Wheepup?*

Worst case scenario if she still can’t reach Wheein, she would just follow Yuri to wherever it was they agreed to meet. She tried to calm herself down, nothing good ever come from being emotional and she need to be clear headed. She already asked the receptionist to alert her if Yuri left the premises, so that was covered already.

Byul looked around her office, her desk, the couch, the paintings, all of them, it was just things, it could be replaced, yet it brought sentimental feeling out of her. This place held so many memories.

She took out a little black velvet pouch out of her blazer inner pocket and opened it, revealing the ring inside.

The engagement ring was made from pearl, a perfect ivory orb of the gem of the sea surrounded by tiny diamonds. It was her grandmother’s engagement ring, she gave it to her just before she passed away. She said that the pearl symbolize their family name, ‘Moon’ and the diamonds symbolize her name ‘Star’. It was basically the epitome of her namesake.

Byul smiled at the thought, she subconsciously resized the ring to Wheein’s finger size a couple of weeks ago, even when she didn’t believe that she deserved Wheein, she wanted to give the ring to her. She wanted to give this tiny piece of her to the only woman that she ever loved.

She closed the lid and put the box back into her pocket with a sigh, guess it’s true, people tend to be sentimental as they grew older.

The shrill of her office satellite line shook her out of her reverie, her heart thumping wildly on her chest when she realized that it was already passed 6 PM, “Hello?”

“I’m sorry Miss Moon, I forgot to tell you, but Miss Kwon already left the office 15 minutes ago.”

Her heart plummeted at the news, she said thank you quickly and grabbed her hand phone, maybe if she ran now, she could still catch up to her.

She opened the door and growled when she found Wheein’s father standing there in front of her, “Move.”

“You’re too late, she’s already on her way.”

“I said move, goddamn it!” she moved to push the old man away but he simply put his arms around her and hugged her tightly.

“I believed you.”

Byul stopped her struggle, too shock by what she just heard.

“I believe you when you said that you love her, that eyes of yours, Byul-ah, it never could tell a lie. So forgive this old man for doubting you. I know my protégé like she was my own flesh and blood, and now I want to get to know the woman that loves my daughter.”

He backed away and clasped both of Byul’s shoulders with his hands, and Byul almost crumbled when she saw the first sincere smile that was so familiar to her – after so long – returned back to her, “I know that I couldn’t change the past couple of weeks, but it might be a start. They’re at JungSik Dang, now go and get my daughter!”

Byul grinned and hugged the man briefly before running past him toward the elevator.

“And you can forget about quitting!! And you better marry my daughter, you rascal!!! You two are my successors in this firm!” he hollered at the running woman and laughed when Byul yelled back at him.

“If she’ll have me!!”

The man shook his head, his shoulder felt lighter now that he finally accepted the fact that the notorious womanizer really do love her daughter, *Good, I never like Yuri anyway*

***

 

Wheein frowned when she arrived at the usually packed restaurant – where reservation was needed just to be able to get a seat there – and found it deserted.

Yuri was waiting for her at the center of the room, she looked kind of relief when Wheein walked in but the younger woman wasn’t sure.

“You made it, I tried calling your phone but you didn’t pick up and later on, it went straight to voice mail.”

“My mom confiscated my phone, she wanted zero interruption and when I got my phone back, the battery was drained.” Wheein sat down and looked around the elegant restaurant, “This is weird, they always fully booked.”

Yuri beamed at her, “I booked the whole restaurant, just like your mother, I want zero interruption for our time together.”

Wheein grimaced slightly and looked at the smiling woman in front of her. After her impromptu talk with her mother, it was odd how everything fell into places and her mind cleared. Sitting there, across from the woman that literally forced her way back into her life, she didn’t feel anything but one tiny spectrum of feeling, pity.

“I already ordered for us, do you want to start with wine, maybe? Or soju?”

Wheein shook her head and replayed Yuri’s action in the morning instead, reaching out across the table, she took both of Yuri’s hands in hers.

“Yuri-ah….” She looked at the warm hopeful look that Yuri gave her and the feeling that plaque her increased ten folds.

“I wanted to start with I’m sorry…”

She smiled sadly at the alarmed look that crossed Yuri’s features, “What we had… at the height of our relationship, it was amazing. We were young and in love and we thought that it would last forever. But it didn’t….”

“It was my fault, but I’ve changed and….” Yuri stopped when Wheein nodded slightly.

“I know. You’ve changed and so do I. I was not the same person anymore. I was not the High School kid that fell in love with you. I was not the university student that’s only goal in life was you. You gave me a very important lesson that an anchor in life is not another human being. I’ve grown a lot this past year, I found that just like my parents, my passion is in Law. I felt alive when I’m in the court room arguing my cases and I placed roots here, friends, best friends. I have finally grown to be my own person.”

“Good… that’s good, and I want to share that with you, I want to be by your side…” Yuri leaned forward, wanted to hurry whatever it was that Wheein wanted to say so she could propose.

“Yet, you still ordered my food for me.” Wheein sighed, “At first, I didn’t mind, I didn’t really think about it because you’re older than me and it was easy to relinquish control to you. I didn’t have to pick our places to date, we coordinate our outfit – it was cute, at first, but it was tiring as time went by to always wear some sort of couple outfit with you, you suggested strongly where I should take my law degree, because you’re already working in New York, even though I wanted to go to Harvard, but I did it, I did it because I wanted to stay close to you. You even suggested which clique I have to hang out with, you said that they would gave me good influence.”

Wheein laughed depreciatingly, “I did all that, because I wanted you to be happy. But now, I realized that I was not my own person at that time, I was just a mere shadow of myself, because you wanted me to be perfect. Perfect for you. But…. And this is a really big but, no matter what I do. It was never enough for you, because you still refuse to acknowledge me as your fiancé.”

“Yes. I realized that, but…”

“Hear me out, please.” Wheein nearly glared at her just to shut her up and sighed heavily.

“See, the thing is, I found someone that accepted me for me. She didn’t complained when I dressed messily, just because I don’t feel like dressing up. She didn’t complain when I ignored her the whole day because I was busy with work. She didn’t complained when I channel surf or binge eating or make a fool out of myself because I could be a dork sometimes. She just laughed or smiled at me, or messed up my hair. She was patient with me and listened to me every time, even when I’m not making any sense. She was patient with me even when I was cranky because I just pulled a long hour at work, or because I was hungry. She held my hands in public, sat me on her laps, she told me her darkest nightmare and she let me in into her small sanctuary.”

Wheein smiled at the memory, “She owned my heart, every single part of it.” She leveled her gaze to the older woman and tightened her hold on Yuri’s now clammy hands. “So I have no place for you in it. This game that you are playing has to stop. I realized now that I made a mistake by agreeing to your request. I was foolish enough to think that I could give her happiness by protecting her, but she didn’t need protecting. I should’ve believed in her just like she always believes in me.”

She took a deep breath and wet her lips, “No matter what the future hold, I will always love Byul and only Byul. I hope that one day you will find someone that would give you the same kind of feeling that Byul showed me existed.”

Wheein squeezed Yuri’s hands lightly and stood up, “Good bye…”

“Stop! Don’t you dare take another step away from me!” Yuri stood up as well, all dignified fury.

“Please don’t humiliate yourself….” Wheein looked at her with so much pity in her eyes, Yuri could feel her face turning red.

“You will be sorry if you walked out that door, Wheein…. I swear to God….”

Wheein’s eyes turned into steel at her words, “Then do your worse. It wouldn’t change a thing.”

Wheein squared her shoulder and walked out with her head held high, she didn’t even bothered to look back at the furious woman that still screaming out her name. She already closed that particular chapter of her life. It didn’t need to be revisited.

 

 

The winter air felt like a little pinprick of needles as she in a deep breath and let the icy coldness filled her lungs. She walked along the side walk, looking left and right for a taxi, already planning to buy something to eat and surprised Byul with warm foods. *Hopefully she’ll be home on time tonight.*

The sound of tire screeching to a halt startled her, so did the cold gaze fury that Byul gave her from the lowered window of her car, “Get the in!”

Wheein gulped, wondering what made Byul looked as if someone just stole her coffee, “What are you doing here?”

“I said get the in the car!”

Wheein hesitated briefly before she got into the passenger seat. Byul waited until Wheein safely put on her seat belt before she stepped on the accelerator fully, weaving through the traffic with blazing speed.

The tension inside of the car was nearly unbearable for the younger woman, her gut feeling said that Byul knew what she had done, the look on her face was scary to say the least, and the way she drove the car in such speed starting to get Wheein nervous.

“Byul, slow down.” She gripped the car handle when Byul made a sharp u turn, “Seriously, we’re not in that fast and furious movie, there’s no need to drift the car!”

Her heart was thumping wildly when Byul slammed the brake, stopping the car near the Han Riverbanks and walked out, slamming the car door on her wake. She tentatively walked out of the car as well, gripping the car door and watched the older woman stood there gazing up at the star, both of her hands was tucked inside her black wool trench coat.

“That’s a fast dinner.” She said after a while, still not looking at Wheein.

Wheein bit her lips, not really sure how to respond to that, although keeping shut seemed like the best course of action at that point.

“I know you have trust issues, but when you said that you believed in me, I honestly thought that you did. Believed in me, that is, until someone told me that you lied.”

Byul turned, her face was a mask of coldness but her eyes were blazing as she looked at Wheein with so much pain, it stabbed at Wheein to the core.

“Why?”

Such a simple question, yet Wheein’s tongue was tied. went dry and it was hard to swallow. “I thought it was for the best…”

“For whom? Me? You’re a mind reader now?” Wheein winced when Byul threw her words back at her.

“You would be heartbroken if you have to leave Yongsun unnie….”

“Yongsun is a grown up, she’ll be fine without me. Besides, there such a thing called technology, including phone, which apparently have no use for you.”

Wheein looked down on the ground, the pressure on her chest increased with every ticking second, “You said you would quit the Firm… it was your second home…”

“I could build another one. A home is where your heart is, it’s not a place or a job.”

“I just don’t want you to get hurt because of me! I…” Wheein looked up, a tear slipped past her guard, she couldn’t handle Byul’s cold tone anymore.

“So you would rather leave me, without asking whether it was what I wanted? How I would feel about it? Or do you actually wanted to go back to her?” the emphasized on the word ‘her’ was so full of bitterness and pain, it tore at Wheein’s conscious.

“How could you say that….”

“What do you want me to say!? How would I know what’s on your freaking mind when you didn’t tell me about it!”

“I’m sorry!! I told you!! I thought it was for the best because I don’t want anyone to hurt you!!”

“But you hurt me!!!”

Wheein staggered back against the car, Byul’s words felt like a physical blow to her gut.

“I would not be broken hearted if I have to leave Yongsun, but my heart would be torn into pieces if you left me! The firm is not my home, because it was not where my heart belongs, it belongs to YOU! Goddamn it!” Byul tightened her jaw and looked away.

Wheein’s hand reached up to cover , however a soft sob still came out. She couldn’t feel her feet, yet somehow she was able to move it until she was able to hug Byul. Her cheek pressed against Byul’s back as tears falls down from her eyes, “I’m sorry…. I’m sorry….”

Wheein felt something wet splashed against her clasped hands, she in her breath and tightened her hold on Byul’s torso.

“I wanted to be the one that buy you your favorite strawberry yogurt. I wanted to be the one that make you coffee in the morning. I wanted to be the one that you grab whenever you watch horror movie. I wanted to be one that listened to all of your rant while you pace in the living room.”

Each soft word felt like a blunt knife hacking through Wheein’s heart.

Byul turned around, face wet with tears as she looked dejectedly at Wheein, “I wanted YOU to be the one that I see from the first time I open my eyes and the last thing that I see before I fell asleep.”  

Wheein reached up and cupped Byul’s face with both of her hands, thumbs brushing away the remnant of Byul’s tears as she whispered, “Please don’t cry… Oh God… Please….”

Byul closed her eyes and leaned against one of her hand, “How could I live if you left me, Wheepup?”

Wheein shook her head harshly, “No… Never… I would never leave you. Byul… I made a mistake… but I already told her that no matter what she would do, she would never get me back. It would be impossible because I love you…. I love you so goddamn much it hurts…”

Byul covered the hand that she leaned on with her own, her eyes opening when she heard Wheein’s confession, “What?”

“I love you...baby... I love you...” Wheein choked on her sob when she finally let her deepest feeling raised to the surface.

“But you would still leave me....”

“It was a mistake... I was being stupid... Byul please....” Wheein almost choke on her words, pleading with Byul with her eyes to grant her forgiveness.

“I almost die when she told me that you decided to leave me and give her another chance.” Byul pried Wheein’s hands from her face and Wheein’s heart plummeted on a downward spiral.

“You almost killed me, Jung Wheein… how could I forgive you…”

“Byul?” fear gripped Wheein’s heart in an iron grip and she suddenly felt light headed, especially when Byul let go of her hands. *No… Byul… Please no…*

“A lifetime sentences.”

“What?” her brain cannot register what Byul just said, too addled by fear of losing the woman in front of her.

“I can’t have you try to kill me for the second time, I don’t think I would survive. So I sentenced you for a lifetime. A lifetime with me.” Byul reached inside her coat and took out a tiny little black box and Wheein’s breath catches.

She opened the lid and looked at Wheein with the most beautiful smile that Wheein ever seen, “Marry me.”

She looked at the pearl and diamond ring inside of the box and cried. Tears keep streaming down her face until Byul started to get worried, “Wheein?”

“I hate you!” Wheein pushed Byul away with all of her might and Byul’s face fell.

“So it’s a no….”

“OF COURSE IT’S A YES! I hate you for scaring me like that!! Now come here and hold me!!”

Byul never felt so relieved, nothing ever felt so nerve wrecking, not even a gun to her face and she literally been through that.

She laughed and picked up the girl that changed her for the better. Twirling Wheein around in her embrace as both women laughed through their tears, she put Wheein back on the ground gently and gaze lovingly at her, “I love you…”

“Pretty sure I love you more.” Wheein whispered, her dimple deepened as she smiled a smile that almost blinded Byul with its brilliance.

Byul took out the ring from its cushion and lifted Wheein’s hand. They both looked on as Byul slide the ring slowly, past the ridges of her tiny knuckle until it nestled on Wheein’s ring finger where it belong.

“It fits.” Wheein looked at it with wonderment.

“It was my grandmother’s. I had to steal one of your ring to resize it.”

Wheein stared at the ring for far too long, long enough to make Byul slightly nervous, “Do you like it? I mean, if you don’t, I could buy you another diamond ring, anything you want really… I mean…”

“Byul.” Wheein looked up and glared at Byul into silence.

“It’s perfect.”

Wheein reached up, locking her hands around Byul’s neck and looked at her with all the love that she felt for her shining through her eyes.

“Just like you…” she whispered softly and captured Byul’s lips with her own.

Sealing their promise of a lifetime together with a kiss.

***

 

EPILOGUE

 

“I think that’s everything.” Byul zipped up the luggage and pulled it up, lining it with the other three suitcases that they would take with them to London.

After a discussion amongst the partners, it was agreed that Byul will represent the Firm to be their liaison in London, but she would not go there alone. They agreed that even though Wheein was still a junior associate, her status as the managing partner’s daughter would be an added value for the negotiation.

“I can’t believe my babies would be leaving... They grew up so fast....” Yongsun pretended to dab tears from her eyes and the other three rolled their eyes in sync.

“Stop being a drama queen.” Hyejin leaned against the kitchen counter, a beer bottle wrapped around her hand, “I would miss you guys, I’ll take an absence of leave and visit you guys there in a month. Let’s paint the town red!”

“Don’t you dare getting married there though! I’m warning you! I want to plan the wedding and the whole nine yard, so don’t even think to elope or anything stupid, because I will hunt you down.”

“Relax, they won’t do such a thing because they would need their best mates there, right?”

Byul and Wheein nodded their head hurriedly, too afraid by the glint on Hyejin’s eyes.

Yongsun clapped her hands giddily, “Just focus on your job there, I will prepare everything here, so when you two returned from London, all you have to do is just walk down that aisle.”

“But I want to have the wedding in Bali though...” Wheein whispered and looked at Byul, smiling at each other as the memory of their time together there resurfaced.

“No worries, just leave it to me. I’ll plan the grandest wedding ever, I promise you.”

“Will Eric have time to fly out to Bali though?” Hyejin laughed when the tip of Yongsun’s ear reddened at the mentioned of Eric’s name.

“Wha... What’s that got to do with anything?” Yongsun nearly stammered out her words.

“The gossip vine at the courtroom said that he asked you out on a date, took him long enough.” Byul winked at the blushing Yongsun.

“I... I didn’t say yes though....” Yongsun looked down, suddenly fascinated by her own fingers.

“Why?” Wheein was curious, Eric seemed like a great guy.

“There’s just no spark.” She shrugged lightly.

“Will it make a difference if I’m the one that ask you out?” Hyejin teased the older woman lightly.

Yongsun blushed deepened, her whispered ‘maybe’  was almost unheard, but the identical blush that suffused Hyejin’s face was enough proof that the short haired woman heard it loud and clear.

Wheein nudged Byul on her side and gave her a dimpled grin that Byul returned with a grin of her own.

They found their happy ending, and maybe... just maybe... another happy ending is in the making.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note

Finally!!! Happy ending all around!!! Thank you so much for sticking to this story until the very end, you all have been an amazing reader and I made friends! Yeay! Hopefully all of you enjoyed the roller coaster ride, it's been a pleasure writing this piece and I'll see all of you next time *Piano man bow* 

All comments and critics are welcome down below!!! Talk to you guys later!!