Chapter 7

Every rose has it's thorns

A few weeks passed without any new leads in the case. The team had been searching all imaginable leads, but had come up empty handed. Yifan was approached by his boss. 

"Do you have any new leads?" The older man asked. 

"No sir, we have been searching everything, but haven't found anything so far." Yifan stated.

"It's been weeks since the last lead, Yifan. And it's been months since you got the case. You usually solve them in a matter of weeks. If you don't get a significant lead soon, we'll have to leave the case cold. It takes away resources from current investigations." 

"I understand sir, but..." Yifan started. 

"But you want to get him. I understand. He threatened someone close to you. You want revenge. But revenge is not our goal. Our goal is justice. And you have to remember that." The older man said, walking away. 

 

Yifan went to his desk, staring at the floor, trying to figure out what to do now. Should he just let the case go cold? And start a new, easier case? It would be his first cold case ever. He had a reputation of always getting the bad guys. But what if he couldn't get this one. 

As if on cue, Junmyeon walked over to him. 

"I heard what the boss said. Ouch, huh?" Junmyeon said. 

"Yeah." Yifan simply replied. 

"You know, we could always plant some fake evidence somewhere, to keep the case going." Junmyeon said, casually. Yifan looked at him in disbelief.

"Just kidding, just kidding." Junmyeon said quickly. Junmyeon got up and left the room, slightly laughing at his own "joke".

 

A few hours later, Yifan's personal phone suddenly started ringing. He looked at the caller ID and picked it up. 

"Hey babe, what's up?" Yifan said, smiling. The smile quickly turned to a frown, and then to a worried expression. 

"Someone just fired a gun outside the apartment. I looked down, and the police car was covered in blood." Yixing said, his voice shaking. 

"Okay. Lock the door, I'll be home soon." Yifan said. He was already putting on his jacket and had already grabbed his gun. He informed the team though quick hand gestures, but they seemed to understand, because seconds later, they were all running around. 

"Someone is ringing the doorbell." Yixing said. Yifan sped up his movements.

"Go to the kitchen and take one of the knives. Go to the bedroom and lock the door. Then go to the bathroom and lock that door too. Don't come out unless I tell you to, okay?" Yifan said.

"Okay. Hurry, please." Yixing said quietly, his voice cracking at the end. 

"I will." He said, before hanging up. He was already getting into his car and rove out of the parking lot as fast as he could. 

 

An: sorry for all the inconsistent updates. I've been feeling down and stressed lately, and writing this story hasn't really been too high on my priorities. Please upvote, subscribe and comment, it makes me feel a lot better❤️