Problems with the Truth

Save Me

As morning came up Jhope went out to get something from the market.

While he walked, he wondered why it felt like he was forgetting something. He stuck his hand hands in his coat pockets and kept his head down as a gust of chilly wind blew.

What was he forgetting?

He looked up at the blue sky and the shining sun. It was so pretty outside, yet so cold. He suddenly felt his head starting to spin. He clutched the rail of the bridge by the freeway, the route he always took.

He forgot to take his pills.

It suddenly hit him.

Jhope felt his balance failing. He released his grip on the rail and attempted to walk to help. Someone had to be nearby. He then fell, landing in a fetal position.

“Jin, take…care...of Jimin…for me...please…” He whispered as his eyesight left, leaving him in darkness.


Everyone was at the house when Jin’s phone rang. He glanced at the number, it was the hospital.

“Hello?”

“The young man’s emergency contact is listed to this person. Are you related to him?”

Jin said in confusion. “Who's him?”

“His name is Jung Hoseok.”

Jhope?!

Jin immediately hung then raced for his jacket. The others looked at him in confusion.

“I'll be right back…” Jin fibbed, shrugging into his jacket. “I'm going to go get some groceries okay?”

The others nodded.

 Jin flew out of the house missing V’s reply.

“Okay, goodbye…” V called to a closed front door.


Once Jin arrived to the hospital the receptionist told him to wait for a while to be able to see his friend.

He sat in the waiting room for what felt like hours. He played with his hands to distract himself. He kept an eye on the clock.

Was he alright? What was going on?

A doctor suddenly strolled in and nodded to Jin. Jin walked up to him his mouth open to bombard him with questions. The doctor however held up a hand signaling he would speak first.

“Young man, your friend is worn out from not taking his pills every day and struggling with his sleep. The pills were recommended for him to help keep him awake.”

“Oh.”

“He's fine now but, he has to stay home and get rest. Does anybody else know about his condition besides you?”

Jin wanted to say Jimin did but, if the doctor called Jimin then everyone else would find out and Jin didn’t want the others worrying. 

He then, responded back to the doctor.

“No, I'm the only one who knows about this.”

“Okay.” The doctor nodded as a nurse came up and handed him paperwork.

The doctor looked at it then signed it, handing it to Jin.

“His release papers.”

“Okay doctor, thank you.” Jin bowed as Jhope walked over to him, bowing at some nurses that walked past.

“Before you leave there's something else I wanted to tell you, make sure he takes the pills or this will happen to him again do you understand?”

“Of course,” Jin nodded.

Jhope waved at him then he and Jhope left the hospital and toward Jungkook’s home.


While Jin came home carrying Jhope behind his back, everyone was looking at them with curiosity.

“Why’s Jhope sleeping behind your back Jin? “Jungkook asked, putting down the controller he was using to play video games with V.

“Well, I went to get groceries and while I was driving I spotted Jhope leaning on a rail and he looked tired so, I picked him up and brought him back.” Jin said smiling nervously, hoping the others wouldn't notice he was lying.

“You should get him to bed. ” Jimin replied through a mouthful of sandwich.

“Sure, I'll take him upstairs to Jungkook’s room, if that's okay with you Jungkook?” Jin turned to look at the youngest.

“Sure, we all know Jhope needs his sleep, I don't mind if he sleeps in my room.” Jungkook smiled then, went back to playing.

Jin huffed and made his way up the stairs. Jhope wasn’t particularly heavy, but Jin wasn’t exactly a strongman.

He made it to the top of the stairs when Jhope stirred, opening his eyes.

“Jin...is that...you?”

“It's me Jhope, are you okay?”

“I'm okay, what happened?” Jhope asked looking down to see him in Jin’s arm. “All I remember is that I was walking in the sidewalk on the bridge then, I fell asleep.”

“The important thing is that you are okay.” Jin said laying Jhope down on Jungkook’s bed.

He then covered the boy in blankets and sat beside him. 

“The others don’t know what happened to you. I didn’t want to tell them because I was worried they would overreact. You know how Jimin gets when you get hurt right?” Jin smiled.

“Yeah, I know. I’m glad you didn’t tell anyone.” Jhope nodded.

Jin stood and pulled a bottle of pills from his jacket pocket. He shook the bottle.

“Now time to take the pills.” Jin chuckled. “They were the whole reason this whole thing happened.”

The older boy reached out handing Jhope the pills.

“No!” Jhope smacked the pills away, making them land on the ground.

“But, Jhope you have to take the pills.” Jin protested then, picked them from the floor and handed them to Jhope again.

“Fine but, don't say I didn't warn you.” J-Hope muttered taking the pills before laying back down.

Jin went downstairs when the younger man had fallen asleep and saw the others were watching TV. They all looked to be bored out of their minds.

“Who’s up for Italian lasagna?”

His exclamation fell on deaf ears, causing Jin to sigh then leave to the kitchen to prepare the meal.


Jungkook, V, and Suga were almost done playing their video game. The others watched half interested and half on their phones.

“I won!” Jungkook yelled suddenly then high fived with Suga.

“Awww, man no fair! How about a rematch?” V upset whined crossing his arms on his chest.

Jin who had left for a good hour returned as Jungkook debated whether to consider a rematch.

“The lasagna is ready.”

Everyone scurried toward the kitchen, except Jimin who raced towards the stairs.

“I'll go tell Jhope dinner’s ready!” He called.


Jimin made it to Jungkook’s room and saw Jhope was pillow fighting in his sleep.

“I'm going to win Jimin!”

Jimin was surprised to see Jhope having one of his hallucinations again. It had been a while since he had had one. Jimin walked over cautiously and whispered. 

“Come on Jhope, Jin made lasagna. Your favorite.”

Jhope smiled.

“First let’s pillow fight Jimin, please?”

Jimin laughed and grabbed a pillow. “Okay but, one game and that's it okay?”

“Okay, get ready Jimin...Now!” J-Hope yelled then, started smacking his pillow all around, missing Jimin a couple of times.

Both Jimin and Jhope were pillow fighting each other until, the feathers of the pillows burst and fell to the floor.

Jimin placed the pillows back, ending the game and scooping the scattered feathers off the ground and to a nearby trash can.

“It was fun playing with you Jimin. Just like old times, right?”

“Yeah, you're right Jhope, but you need to wake up!” Jimin said then shook Jhope again this time more aggressively.

Jhope’s eyes flew open to see Jimin and some feathers scattered in Jungkook’s room.

“What happened here?”

He sat up noticing the pillows behind him felt flat. He turned to him for an explanation.

 “You were hallucinating in your sleep and we were pillow fighting.” Jimin explained.

“We are going to have to get Jungkook some new pillows.” Jhope laughed.

Jimin laughed as well and led the way back downstairs.


 Jimin and Jhope went downstairs racing to get the last pieces of lasagna before it ran out. They then started devouring it.

 Rap Monster noticed them with a smile and said. “Slow down you two, it's not like we were going to eat the last pieces.”

He then shook his head and left to sit in the living room.

“Any way what took you guys so long to get down here?” Jin asked, curious.

“Uhh…” said Jimin, nervous to tell Jin what happened and thinking what would Jungkook say to him for destroying his pillows.

“Jimin said that I wouldn't wake up, so I guess I'm starting to become a heavy sleeper.” Jhope laughed weakly, exchanging a look with Jimin for him to go along with it.

“Also, me and Jhope flattened both of your pillows Jungkook.” Jimin said ready to accept the anger Jungkook had in store for him.

“It's okay, lucky for me I always keep a spare just in case something happens to it.” Jungkook smiled.

“Oh, that's a relief, for a minute there I thought you were going to get angry with me!” Jimin laughed with relief then went to sit down besides Rap Monster on the sofa.

“I think it's time to go to sleep.” Jin spoke up, helping Jungkook to his bedroom.

“Time to hit the hay I guess.” Rap Monster yawned curling up into the sofa.

“I'll go take a shower before I go to sleep.” Jimin said and headed to the bathroom.

“Jimin, don't make yourself suffer!” J-Hope called then took out his pills from his pocket. He stared at them, gripping them as he wanted to destroy them but, he took the pills.

In a matter of hours, he started to hallucinate again.


Jhope was seeing different colors splashed around the walls. He reached out to touch and felt himself panic when the colors would stick to his hands like paint. He began to walk around in circles trying to find something to hang on to as his head began spinning. The colors swirled in his eyes and he collapsed to the floor close by the bathroom door.

When Jimin was done taking a shower, he found Jhope was on the floor. Suddenly the memories of his parents laying on the cold wet road flashed in his head. He strangled out a cry. “No! Jhope, don't leave me too! Wake Up Jhope, Wake Up!”

He was sobbed and held onto Jhope’s body, as cold water soaked them.

Jin rushed out of Jungkook’s room at the sound of Jimin’s cries.

 He saw Jhope and Jimin on the floor and quickly rushed to grab towels. He and Jimin then raced to the hospital.

While both Jin and Jimin were at the hospital they were both nervous that something bad had happened to Jhope. Jin placed an arm around Jimin for comfort and warmth since the boy was still wet and cold from his shower.

 The doctor then came and looked at Jin in surprise. “You again? I thought I told you to make sure he takes the pills or this would happen to him again.”

Jimin looked at Jin.

Jin smiled back hesitantly.

“Jin, you knew about this?!” Jimin demanded.

“Yes but, I didn't want to tell you or you’d be worried so, I lied.” Jin grimaced, regretting his actions. Jimin should have known since the beginning, Jhope was everything he had.

“I can't believe you Jin! Jhope’s my brother and the only one I got, how could you keep this from me?!” Jimin yelled, furious and looking ready to lunge at Jin.

The doctor held Jimin back then, as the boy began to get more rowdy he got a syringe and injected him. He waved to paramedics nearby to grab Jimin who was already beginning to fall in a trance.

“Doctor…” Jin spoke up wanting to apologize for Jimin’s actions.

“We’ll take good care of them, Kim Seokjin.” The doctor smiled.

Jin felt a cold chill hit him. Wait what?

The paramedics did not set Jimin on a waiting room chair, instead took him in a stretcher to the outside.

“Wait a minute! Don't send them away, there’s nothing wrong with Jimin or Jhope!” Jin pleaded. He then tried to run over as he spotted Jhope’s body in a stretcher as well, but two paramedics came and grabbed Jin by his shoulders holding him pinned.

“Are you sure there's nothing wrong with them?” The doctor raised an eyebrow.

“What do you mean?” Jin demanded, confused then, the doctor showed him files of both Jimin and Jhope.

“You see, ever since their parents’ deaths they were both key witnesses and developed severe illnesses with bad coping methods. They were sent to a mental health facility to help them overcome their illnesses, as instructed by their late surviving guardian but, they escaped ten years ago.”

Jin looked at the doctor, was he bluffing? He glanced at the papers and saw photos of the boys in white jumpsuits. They had escaped?

“Ten years ago, that's when I first met them… I thought they were orphans, no wonder they were so tired and hungry and muddy…they escaped.”

“Let me go! I will not leave here without Jimin and J-Hope! Bring them back here!”.

Jin yanked his body forward, willing himself to break free, the paramedics tightened their grips on his arms bruising them. Jin winced.

 “Or what?” The doctor mocked. “You see the people asking for them back paid a pretty penny for their rehospitalization. Who are we to say no?” 

Jin glared at the doctor as he was dragged outside the hospital and thrown to the floor.

He started hitting the ground and crying. How could he have let them take them away? Jimin and Jhope were family now. He had basically led them to a trap.

“Jimin, Jhope, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean for this to happen.”

Jin got in the truck back to Jungkook’s house.

He arrived, and saw everyone was still asleep

It was fine, he was in no mood to explain what had just happened. Feeling defeated and guilty he decided to go to sleep. He would try in the morning.


Morning came and Rap Monster went to work, while both Jungkook and Suga stayed sleeping. V was the only one left awake, playing video games.

Jin bit his lip as he made himself chamomile tea, to relax. The others would find out about Jimin and Jhope soon. He really didn’t want to tell them for fear of their reactions though. He placed it in the back of his mind as he sipped his tea and looked out the window.

“Hey Jin?” V called, as he paused his game.

“What is it?”

Jin hoped V didn’t ask him about Jimin and Jhope. He wouldn’t know what to say.

“Where's Jimin and Jhope?” Jin’s heart began to beat fast. He swallowed feeling a lump in his throat. “I haven't seen them since last night. Do you know where they went?” V asked, cocking his head to one side in a questioning manner.

Jin smiled nervously. “Oh, they went to the market to buy more food. Since, yesterday I couldn't get it because of Jhope.”

“Okay, thanks I hope they come back soon. I'm starting to get hungry.” V smiled.

“Here, I'll make something to eat.” Jin smiled back feeling the guilt rise. He the rice cooker, willing himself to remain calm. He downed the rest of the tea, seeing it was useless. Jimin and Jhope were gone and soon the others would know.


When Jin was done making breakfast he served V watching as the boy ate happily, without a care in the world. Jin was relieved V was eating well again, despite all that had happened. He nodded to Suga and Jungkook as they came downstairs.

“Good morning Jin, V.” Jungkook said through a yawn.

“Hey Jin, what's for breakfast?” Suga asked carrying Jungkook to the kitchen table. He set the boy down then took a seat beside him.

“Rice, soup, oh and we have some leftover kimchi I made a while back.” Jin announced handing them both bowls.

“Thanks” Jungkook smiled.

“Where's Jhope and Jimin?” Suga asked, looking around. “Jimin is not one to skip breakfast.”

“Jhope can’t pass up good seaweed soup either.” Jungkook added.

“Jin said they both went to buy groceries since, we are almost out of food. Right Jin?” V told them then walked back to his video game.

“Yeah, they'll be back any minute now.” Jin said then, sighed.

“How about that rematch Jungkook?”  V called, distracting them from asking any more questions.

“Alright V, if you say so!”

Suga, Jungkook, and V started to playing video games after breakfast while, Jin cleaned up.


“Uh Jin, are you sure Jimin and Jhope went to buy food? It's already been a couple hours.” V looked up at Jin.

Jin bit his lip.

“V’s right is you sure they went to buy groceries?” Jungkook asked pausing the game.

“Uhh...I…”

Jin faltered, but just as the truth was threatening to come out he was saved by Rap Monster, who came in the house.

“How was work Rap Monster?” Jin asked hoping the others would forget.

“I don't want to talk about it.” Rap Monster sighed as he slouched into the sofa beside him and opened a can of beer.

“Are you sure? You would only drink beer if something bad happened.” Jin said. Rap Monster shook his head taking a chug of beer.

Jin didn’t relent. “What's wrong, did something happened at work?”

Rap Monster snapped and turned to him. “I said I don't want to talk about it Jin!”

He then opened the front door and slammed it shut as he went outside.

Jin looked stunned. Rap Monster was usually a gentle soul.

“I'll go talk to him.” V offered heading out.

“Wonder what happened to him? Rap Monster isn’t one to get so angry.” Jungkook wondered aloud.

“Jin, what's really going on here?” Suga asked staring at the older boy.

Jin knew Suga had caught on. He knew something was up. Jin felt himself give in and told them about what had happened the night before.

“Jhope and Jimin were sent somewhere but, I don't know where.” Jin then, looked at them both sadly.

“Let me get this straight. Jhope and Jimin were sent somewhere but, you don't know where they are? And you didn’t think to tell us?!” Suga summarized looking furious. His sharp gaze seemed to pierce Jin’s skin.

“I didn't want to involve you, especially after everything that has happened to us. Why make it worse for all of you?” Jin then, looked at Suga knowing he was furious.

“What?” Suga spat. He stood up towering over Jin who was pinned to the sofa. Suga wasn’t a tall boy but his fiery attitude and sharp eyes could make a person feel small. In that moment, Jin had never felt smaller. “So, all this crap about having each other's backs was just bull?! You can’t just decide to leave us out on the bad things like that! It makes it seem like you’re lying not protecting us from our past!”

Jungkook held Suga back, feeling Suga’s mood become to escalate into something more violent.

“Jungkook, let go!”  Suga struggled to break free.

“No Suga! I won't let go of you!” Jungkook retorted. “Not until you calm down!”

“Jin, if this is how you’re going to be…Keeping secrets and causing trouble for us then, just leave!” Suga demanded.

“Suga, I... I…” Jin tried to apologize.

“You aren’t a brother if you do this you damn bastard!” Suga tried to lunge again. “ing traitor!”

“Jin, leave I can't hold him back any longer!” Jungkook grunted. “Go look for Jimin and J-Hope now!”

Jin looked at Jungkook then at a vehement Suga and nodded, running out of the house.

“Jungkook let go...of...me!” Suga used his hands to break free from Jungkook’s arms.

“I... said...no... Suga!” Jungkook clenched the boy harder.

But, Suga prevailed breaking free. They heard the start of a truck and as the sound of it sped away Suga turned to Jungkook.

“Why do you still trust Jin? He lied to us about everything. Who knows what else he keeps secret?”

“He didn't want us to worry about anything bad happening to the others Suga!” Jungkook replied trying to reason with the older boy. He pulled the boy into a hug knowing how frustrated he must have been. Suga wasn’t one to trust and to have been lied to was a blow on his trust.

“You don't get it do you Jungkook? You think Jin is doing us a huge favor for protecting us, but look at what happened to both Jimin and Jhope? They both were sent somewhere that even Jin doesn't know where. He saw this on his own. Maybe if he would have told us we could have helped. Done something…” Suga sighed. “How is he protecting us, if he lets his brothers get sent off and then comes home and makes ing rice and soup like everything is okay? What if we get sent away because of his protection too? Huh?!”

“That's not true! That won’t happen, Jin would never do something like that to us! You're lying!” Jungkook cried holding Suga harder. Suga laughed darkly then grabbed Jungkook by his shirt and threw him to the wall. He backed away.

“Open your eyes Jungkook! Everything is a ing lie!” He then threw empty bottles from a drawer to the floor.

“Stop Suga! Don't be like our dad! Stop saying things that don’t make sense!” Jungkook rushed to him holding him back in a hug.

“Who said I'm becoming like our dad? You are the one who isn't making any sense here Jungkook! Just let go of me!” Suga pushed Jungkook away. Jungkook frustrated at his older brother who wouldn’t listen to reason acted out and punched him.

Suga was bleeding from his mouth, Jungkook glanced at his fist that was covered in small specks of blood. Jungkook grabbed Suga again. “Suga, stop please. I didn't mean it, but you…”

“You can't undo what's already done, you bastard.” Suga furious threw him to the edge of the sofa. Jungkook winced as part of the wood on the sofa collided on his ribs. He looked up and saw Suga with a crazy glint in his eyes and a chair in his hands. He flinched as Suga raised it above his head and threw it.

It crashed against a mirror.

The mirror shattered into little pieces, scattering glass everywhere.

Suga breathed heavily then glanced at Jungkook, the boy was curled up against the sofa looking pitiful and frightened.

Suga fell to his knees. “Jungkook...I... I’m sorry!”

He fled out of the house leaving Jungkook startled.

Once the boy got up he winced in pain.  He was still hurt but, he didn't care he had to bring Suga back.


Suga ran into the city looking for a place to hide from Jungkook, from everyone. He never wanted to be like his father. He never wanted to see the fear in Jungkook’s eyes again.

Suga came to a motel where he rented out a room. He then walked over to a nearby gas station purchasing a gallon of gasoline. He knew what he had to do.

He couldn’t live like this anymore.  A constant disappointment to his younger brother. A bitter, broken boy with no room for success or happiness. Jungkook always liked Jin more anyway. Why not have him as a brother instead.

Once Suga got in the room, he dragged the gallon and was pouring it everywhere in the room. He was finally leaving. It was only a matter of time he thought as he pulled out his lighter. He dropped it beside the gasoline trail watching the flames rise quickly.

“Take care of yourself Jungkook.”

He pulled out a picture of him, Jungkook, and their parents. He had kept it despite everything. He knew he couldn’t go back into the past. He could only go forward. Jungkook could only go forward and it would have to be without him as a burden.

He put the picture back in his pocket and looked at the ceiling waiting for the flames to consume him.


Jungkook raced around the area. He noticed a crowd of people gathering outside of a motel. It was on fire!

He realized Suga was involved. Suga had a history of arson and in times of stress he would constantly light things on fire. He looked around the crowd knowing Suga would watch the destruction unfold. When he didn’t catch sight of him he knew the boy was in the room. He pushed people aside as he burst into the room.

“Suga!” Jungkook coughed as his eyes strained to see his brother through the heavy smoke. “Where are you!?”

Jungkook coughed heavily, feeling his head beginning to spin. He crouched on the ground and looked around finally spotting Suga laying down on the floor.

He reached out to get him but, a burning plank of wood fell blocking him from the older boy. He pressed to the floor and tried to crawl under it, flinching when the burning wood singed his skin through his clothes.

“Don't worry Suga, I got you.” Jungkook reassured him as he dragged Suga out. They were almost out the front door but, a huge pile of concrete from the roof fell in front of them, trapping them in the room.

Suga gasped. “Jungkook, I’m so sorry.”

Jungkook hugged Suga tight tears falling down his face. “I'm sorry too, Suga. Jin help us, please.” He whispered as he closed his eyes.


Suga opened his eyes to bright lights. He wondered if he was dead, but then he saw doctors pushing him into a stretcher. His head turned to the left and he saw Jungkook, next to him but, Jungkook’s left hand which was on top of his stomach slowly fell to the side as if the boy had given up.

“Jungkook...no... don’t die...on...me.”  He felt his head become groggy and he closed his eyes again.


Once the doctors were doing scans on Suga and Jungkook making sure they were alive, the doctor told the receptionist.

“After they are done with their scans, take both to the same place as the two young men were sent yesterday night.”

The receptionist nodded.

The doctor then wrote files for them to be taken away.


“So, you got fired from the gas station! But why?” V asked looking outraged on Rap Monster’s behalf.

He and Rap Monster were making their way through a dark alley after going to the store and buying spray paint cans.

“The manager told me that over the years, I wasn't progressing enough. I wasn’t doing good enough to bring in more money, so he fired me.” Rap Monster shrugged and finished drinking his beer, tossing it to the floor.

“So, what do you want to do now?”  V asked, putting on a jacket.

“Graffiti.” Rap Monster took out a can of spray paint and handed one to V.

“Are you sure we won't get caught?”

“Don't worry the police has never caught me before.” Rap Monster smirked and started to spray paint the abandoned market walls. “This one’s a shout out to my of a boss.”

“Alright then.”  V began spraying alongside Rap Monster. The older boy watched him with a smile pulling out a lollipop and on it as V worked.

V smiled back knowing Rap Monster was impressed.

Then, lights flashed at both V and Rap Monster making them jump.

Rap Monster shoved V in the shoulder then nodded at the lights. They both grabbed their bags of cans then ran.

V looked behind him to see the police catching up.

“I don't want to go to jail Rap Monster.” V panted running. They were headed to the bridge.

“Don't worry, I won't let them take you in.” Rap Monster promised. He stopped in his tracks thinking the police stopped chasing them.

“I think we lost them.” He breathed. He then turned around as he heard a siren and saw a police car headed right toward them.

“Run V! Run!” Rap Monster pushed V away as the police shoved him down and dragged him to the police car.

“No! Let me go!” V had only run so far when the police caught him and dragged him along with Rap Monster.

The policemen pushed V and Rap Monster on the hood of the police car, cuffing them.

They looked through their wallets identifying them.

“Looks like we caught the murderer.” A policeman spoke up.

V felt his heart sink. No…

“Rap Monster, what do we do?” V asked about to cry.

“I don't know! We need Jin!” Rap Monster cried. V only grew more fearful at the look on Rap Monster’s face. He was always so calm and collected.

Rap Monster stood up from the hood of the car and started running away but, one of the police men shot him with a tranquilizer bringing the boy down.

“Rap Monster!” V cried.

He was them shot as well


“V, Rap Monster!” Jin screamed as he raced over to the police car.

After he had run off he had searched all the city searching desperately for Jimin and Jhope. He then drove back home ready to beg Suga and the others for forgiveness only to see V and Rap Monster being shoved into a police car.

He nearly made to them when he was taken down.

“Oh, no you don't!”

It was the doctor. Jin turned around just to see him be injected with a syringe.

“Where are, you taking us?” Jin demanded, struggling to the floor, wanting to stay awake. The drug he was drugged with, however, made his head spin and his body go numb. He felt his eyes closing. Sleep crashing over him like a wave.

“You'll see when you wake up. Good night Jin.” The doctor smiled as Jin shut his eyes falling into darkness.