Failed Confidence

What if.... Will you?

Chapter 14

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

My slumber was disturbed horribly by my bloody alarm clock! I immediately sat on my bed with my elbows. My eyes wandered around the mirror. I saw my reflection and I can’t help but to let out a wide smile.

I touched my cheeks.

Pie kissed me last night, right?

Eeeeeeeeeee!

I laid down at my bed as I kicked the pillows out of my bed. I can’t believe it! Pie Mindara kissed me! If this is just a dream, I wish I’ll never wake up again. I can still feel my lips smiling very wide.

----------------------------------------------

After that night, Pie and I didn’t talk about the kiss. I mean we’re still friends (I guess?). It’s because we never had the chance to talk and I’m really not that sure if she wants to talk about it. What if the kiss meant nothing for her? I mean, she kissed me knowing full well that I had a ‘girlfriend’? Was it just a friendly kiss? Was it really just a means to get back at me?

One day, I saw a very cute clip from a novelty shop. I thought that it would be very pretty if Pie wears it so I brought it. I wish that I could give it to her… as a friend of course.

Weeks have passed. The gang and I barely even hang out with each other because Yam is always with me. I still can’t figure a way to make peace between Yam and the gang. When Yam goes to the restroom for a moment, I could see the gang secretly smiling at me while Pie was just staring blankly at my direction. Have I done something wrong?

Zee keeps on persuading me to tell the gang the truth about Yam and I. But I figured that telling them would just make the bullying worse for Yam. The whole story is not yet clear to me so making a move right now might not be wise. Why do I have this feeling that there is more to the story than what Yam has told me?

There was this guy I always see waiting for Pie during after classes. His hair was clean-cut, his shoulders are broad and he has a stubble. He always carries a flower for Pie everytime I see him. Pie is very dashing so I shouldn’t be wondering why someone was courting her but hell--- I really want to punch his face so bad.

After a hellishly boring class, I quickly grabbed my military rucksack and I held the clip that I was supposed to give to Pie. I wish Yam would just go out to the restroom for a while so that I could give the clip to Pie.

“That’s a one boring class” Yam sighed as she also grabbed her things. “Let’s go?”

I nodded. Yam was very friendly to me. Ever since I met her, she was friendly.

We were walking out from the door when Yam suddenly stopped walking, looking so serious on her right side. I turned my head to see what she was staring at.

I could feel my world slowly disappearing before my very eyes. It was Pie, leaning on the wall, talking to that guy who brings her flowers everyday.

I clenched my fist. Why do I have to see him here?

“Van…” I heard Yam murmured. Van? That Yam’s friend? Yam’s friend was courting Pie!?

Yam and I must have caught their attention. The guy looked at us. I could say that he was a bit surprised seeing how uncomfortable his face has become. I looked at Pie but she was already glaring at me.

Pie turned her eyes away from me and faced this guy called ‘Van’. She smiled at him and said, “Van, let’s talk outside”. That ‘Van’ smiled at her in return as they slowly walked away from us.

I clenched my fist harder. So that kiss doesn’t mean anything at all?

“Oh! Tina! Your hand is bleeding!” Yam exclaimed, her voice became so loud. My attention was shifted to my arm, that is bleeding badly because I was clenching my fist while holding the sharp clip. I managed to hide the clip before Yam could see it.

“What are we gonna do, Tina?” Yam panicked. I glanced at Pie one last time. She was staring at my hand while walking away and then she turned to Van again. Does she even care about me?

----------------------------------------

TINA’S BEDROOM

I was staring at my bandaged hand. The doctor said that it will take a few weeks to fully recover. I placed the clip beside the plant on my desk. The clip was still covered with blood stain. I don’t think I could give it to Pie.

So Pie is now allowing guys to court her?

I placed my hand to my chest.

What right do I have to be jealous? Heart, please understand. Pie deserves to be happy and I should be happy for her.

I closed my eyes as I remember the kiss she gave me.

TOK! TOK! TOK! TOK!

“Tina, you in there?” I heard Zee knock. I quickly kept my composure and then I stood up to open the door. Zee immediately laid down to my bed.

“What is it?” I complained as it was already bed time and I have a quiz tomorrow.

“Well, I have a favor to ask you”

----------------------------------------------

MAYA’S – THE NEXT DAY

“I still don’t think that this is a good idea” I said to Zee as I parked our car. Apparently, Zee had invited me to a party yesterday just to drive her home because she wants to drink so much.

“But why do you want to drink, Zee? You and Jane on the rocks?” I followed up thinking that Zee and Jane had a fight.

Zee grimaced. “Pfft! Not even. I really just want to have a good time with you bro. Let’s go?”

The dance floor was full of mad-like people dancing around every corner. But I have to admit, the beat of the music makes me want to dance a little too. But not too much.

I was about to find a chair for me to sit the whole time when Zee and I saw a group of people from afar: the gang!

Why are they here?

“Yo, Zee. I thought we’ll hang out alone?” I whispered.

“Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you! I was supposed to say ‘I really just want to have a good time with you bro and the gang’” she said as she flashed a wink at me.

I facepalmed.

“Why do you look so upset? Are you avoiding a certain someone?” she said, repeatedly raising her eyebrows.

I punched her shoulder. “You stink, Zee”

“Hey, honey” someone said as she hugged Zee. It was Jane together with Puey and Nerd. Jane’s eyes wandered around my direction.

“Hello, handsome” Puey winked at me but I only smiled.

“Oh! Hello, Tina. I’m very happy to see you! Zee told me about your arm, how was it?” She walked towards me and gently held my bandaged hand.

“Well, it will be fine aft—“ I was about to say but something caught my attention. Or rather, it is a someone.

It was her. She looks different today. She was wearing a gorgeous party red dress that matches well with her nail art. Her earrings flatter her neck very much. Oh Pie, you look stunning, as always.

I cleared my throat.

“It will be fine after a few weeks” I said to Jane while facing her. I glanced at Pie. She was looking at my hand that was being held by Jane. She took a sip of her whiskey.

“I wish you’ll recover sooner” Jane flashed me a concerned smile.

“Thank you”

“Hey, Pie” I immediately focused my eyes to the maker of the voice. It was that Van guy again!

Oh God, I wish I didn’t come here.

Jane turned to that Van guy. “Hey, Van. You made it!” Oh yeah, I forgot that they were friends.

“Of course, I should make it, Pie’s here” he said as he walked closer to Pie. The gang teased them together, except from myself (of course) and Zee.

“Oh you two! Get a room already!” Puey teased. Ugh. More like, ‘Van, go away already’.

“Stop it, Puey! We’re not going out!” Pie pinched Puey.

“Eeeeii! Why are you playing so hard to get, Pie?” Jane dissed. She crossed her arms across her chest. “Are you still in love with Kim?”

I coughed so hard at what I heard.

“Are you okay?” Zee asked as she noticed that I have been coughing really bad. “Here, drink up”

I drank the water that Zee gave to me. Why the heck is she bringing me up on the conversation?

“Well, it doesn’t really matter if Pie is inlove with someone else. I will make her mine” Van confidently said.

I clenched my fist. Oh god, please give me a reason not to punch this .

“How bold!” Puey screamed like he was the one the Van was courting. I glanced at Pie. She was just smiling. How can she just smile at a time like this?

--------------------------------

I now found myself in a booth together with the gang – oh and that assface. She was sitting beside me again. God, I could smell her scent.

And of course, the assface took the seat beside her, but he went to the restroom for a while.

“Wow! This bar actually looks nice! Look! There’s even a dart board around the corner!” Puey said as he nudged Nerd. The latter just stared at him apathetically.

He cleared .

“So Tina, how was your girlfriend?”

“What girlfriend?” I said.

Oh wait.

. TINA, YOU IDIOT.

“O-Oh Yam! Yeah, s-she’s doing fine” I poured myself a liquor but Zee quickly snatched it away from me.

“Sorry, I’ve been single for a long time. Sometimes, I forgot that I have a girlfriend haha” I bluffed. Pie poured herself a drink and drank it.

Puey laughed. “I guess that happens. Hey Jane” he said while nudging at Jane.

Jane, who was drinking, put her glass down and looked at Puey. “Hmmm?”

Puey looked at her. “What does it feel that your friend is now dating that girl?”

Jane looked like she was caught offguard. She looked at me and glanced back to Puey. “W-Well, I was surprised. I never saw them together before so I was surprised that they even know each other”

“Yeah, Tina. I never saw you two together before. What do you like about her and how do you know her?” Puey continued to pry on.

My heart began to beat so fast. , what am I supposed to say?

“Eeeii! I thought you guys hate Yam, why are you even asking Tina about her?” Zee said as she secretly winked at me. Thank you for saving my , Zee.

“Hey guys, do you want to try the darts? I heard that there are prizes!” the assface said as he approached us. I took a relieved sigh.

-----------------------------

“Hello Mister, can I see your prizes?” Van asked the old man who tends the darts section. The old man looked at Van. “Why? Is it for your girlfriend?”

Van turned around to look at Pie, who was busy laughing with Jane. “Yeah”

I can’t help but to clench my fist.

He turned to me and tapped my shoulder. “Dude, I heard you have a girlfriend. Wanna play?”

“Sure” I probably won’t win anyway.

The old man cleared . “Well, we have some stuffed toys in here as a reward but the biggest prize is that clock necklace” He pointed the necklace with his index finger.

Wow. That was mesmerizing. It was one of a kind. I never saw a similar design as this.

Van’s eyes started to sparkle, setting his eyes on the price.

The old man rubbed his big tummy. “Well, goodluck to you, sons. That necklace has been sitting there for three years. Believe or not, the darts even barely landed the dart board”

-----------------------------------

“Go Van!!!” Jane cheered as Van prepared to take a shot. We only have three chances. Well it is quite obvious why no one has ever won that necklace. The player has to shoot from the other end of Maya’s and the board was placed on the other end. The chances of winning are so thin seeing how far the players must be from the board.

Van took the first shot but the dart doesn’t even make it halfway Maya’s. He sighed. “I’m just warming up!” he said to the gang, trying to save face from Pie.

He took the second shot but the dart just hit the wall and fell on the floor. The same happened for the third time.

“Too bad. No necklace for Pie, then” Zee scoffed to Van as she tried so hard to contain her mocking smile. Even Zee doesn’t like Van.

I walked forward to the place to shoot, with the three darts in my free hand.

“Go Tina! Whooooo!” Jane and Puey cheered in unison. I turned to them and smiled. My eyes wandered around Pie. She was smiling at me, too. I quickly turned away when I felt my face heating up. I could still feel her lips in my cheeks.

Heart, please calm down.

I shook my head. The kiss means nothing.

I took the first shot. Just like what happened to Van’s second and third shot, my dart just flew off the wall. Darn it.

But Pie isn’t the type who kisses guys randomly. Was it really just a friendly kiss? If it’s not, then what is it?

I took the second shot. I hit it with all my might. The trick was aiming it in a way that the dart must meet its longest range. I must hit it in 45 degrees.

TUGSH!

I walked forward to see if what my eyes are telling me is right. IT WORKED! The second shot landed on the dart board! It wasn’t in the middle but heck! This is very fulfilling.

The crowd clapped their hands.

I still couldn’t get why she did it. Okay, let fate answer my question. If this dart hit the middle, then I would believe that the kiss means something much more. If it doesn’t, it was a friendly kiss. Get it, Kim?

So my previous dart landed on the dart board because it met its longest range. Was there anything else that I was missing out?

I looked around the surroundings. There’s nothing here in the bar. There’s just people in here who watches me, some tv, some speakers, an airconditioning unit and a fan. There’s nothing here that could—Oh wait! A fan! The air coming from the fan must be resisting this little dart from its momentum.

“Someone, please turn off the fan” I shouted gently, hoping that this trick would do the work. Someone turned off the fan just like I said.

Okay, Tina. This will answer your question. Here goes nothing!

I took the third shot and I closed my eyes the moment I hit it.

Oh God, please hit the middle!

Hit the middle!

TUGSH!

“YEAHHHHHH!” I heard everybody screamed the moment the dart landed. I quickly opened my eyes. I can’t believe it! It hit right directly into the middle! Oh God!

“Tina! You’re so great!” Zee said as she quickly carried me. Everybody was cheering for me.

“Son, that was amazing!” the old man approached me as he handed me the clock necklace. “Your girlfriend would surely love that”

I thanked the old man and I quickly took a glance of Pie. She was smiling again at me.

The greatest price is not the clock necklace. It is the fact that fate has told me that there was something more in your kiss, Pie.

Instead of looking away from her, I smiled back at her, even though I felt my face heating up.

-----------------------------------

After we celebrated for a while, we finally decided to end our little gathering. Zee told me that she would like to sleepover again with Jane. I can’t believe she’s ditching me again. It’s a good thing that I only drank a little, unlike Zee, who drank almost half of the bottle.

I was in the parking lot and was about to enter the car when I saw two familiar figures far away. I decided to silently follow the two figures. They seemed to be talking. I hid behind the car near them.

“So Pie, I had a good time today. Did you have fun?” a familiar voice said. I took a peek to see who that person is. Just as I thought, it was Van and I suppose the other figure was Pie.

“Yes, today is fun” Pie said. Her shadow was just staying still.

“I’m glad you had fun” he said, his shadow looked like he was scratching his head. There was a moment of silence between them.

“P-Pie?” Van said. The hesitation in his voice was so obvious.

“Yes?”

Van leaned closer to Pie. He pursed his lips. I thought he was about to whisper something.

CHUP!

I can’t believe it! That assface just kissed Pie IN THE LIPS! How dare he?

I clenched my fist! Damn you, assface!

I could feel my heart breaking apart. Why does it hurt so much? I thought I’m ready for this.

Pie’s jaw dropped the moment she realized what Van has done.

I was about to reveal myself and punch the hell out of the guy but before I did….

BUGSH!

Pie slapped him.

“Why?” asked the assface. I clenched my fist once again. Why would he even ask why? Isn’t it obvious that his action didn’t favor the girl? “Didn’t you call me this morning to have a date with me?”

She raised an eyebrow. “I called you because I thought of considering you as a friend”. She massaged her temples. “But this is a mistake. Please don’t see me again”

She was about to walk away when he gripped her wrist.

“Can you at least tell my why can’t it be me?” he begged. She stared at him for the longest time.

“Why can’t you learn to love me, Pie?”

There was a moment of silence between them.

..

….

……….

………….

“I think… I think I like someone else”

 

Hello guys :) I'm back to college life... again -___- Computer Science is getting REALLY hard these days so I won't be able to update that much. Thank you so much for reading :) And please comment :) I really like it if somebody comments on the chapters :)