Remedies

What if.... Will you?

4:00 PM

I came in just in time for our class. I can’t remember what subject I was attending into. It is because I dropped Yam off in her house just to make sure she is okay, and I ran so hard go to class just in time. It’s a good thing that the professor isn’t here yet. The classroom was filled with various noise and laughter from my classmates. Since I don’t know anyone here, I went to sit at the back.

I wonder if Pie’s my classmate today.

I looked at my watch. It’s 4:10 PM. It’s already time. How come our professor isn’t here already?

Maybe I should nap for a while. I’ll just wake up if I hear the door open. I laid my head to the desk.

I wonder what Pie is thinking right now. Is she bothered to what Yam had said, that we’re together? You’re so silly, Tina. Of course, she feels nothing. Why would she even care if you dated Yam? She doesn’t like you. She just even met you a week ago. You’re lucky if she even considers you as a friend.

My reverie was broken when I heard the door open. I quickly opened my eyes and sat up straight. Suddenly, my eyes were fixated to the person who just came in. I thought it was the professor but it was Pie, sweating again. Her sunglasses hanging on her blouse. Her hair looks soft and silky as usual but a bit messier this time, causing her to look hotter than she already is. Oh and that eyes! Don’t get me started with that eyes. The word breathtaking is an understatement to describe how heavenly beautiful her eyes are with that brown eyeliner of hers. Her presence can silence anyone with an awe, and maybe that’s the reason why everyone in the classroom was silent. They were appreciating how beautiful Pie is. No, more like they can’t take Pie’s beauty anymore so they were speechless.

I really miss this girl.

My thoughts were interrupted when I saw her heading my way. I quickly looked away from her direction and focused on the window. Tina, look away. LOOK AWAY.

I thought she would sit right next to me but she didn’t. I was in the last row, sitting beside the window while she was at the same row as me, but only beside the aisle. There were 3 empty seats between us.

Is she avoiding me? Does she hate me that much?

“Listen up, guys!” a loud voice said. I turned my focus in front and it was Yam’s dad. Oh, so that’s why Pie is here.

“Today, we will go to the library for your research paper. Before that, I would like to call for Mr. Jittaleela and Ms. Manaying’s attention. Please accompany me outside” Yam’s dad briefly said and quickly walked outside.

I glanced at Pie but she was already staring at me with a confused gaze in her eyes. She must be as confused as me. We walked outside the classroom together.

----------------------------------

OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM

“I would like to apologize to the two of you for misunderstanding the last incident we had. My daughter told me what happened” Yam’s dad said but with an unapologetic tone in his voice.

“Especially to you, Ms. Manaying. My daughter told me that I’ve been very harsh to you. I am very sorry” he continued, still with the unapologetic tone in his voice.

“It’s okay, Professor” Pie said coldly, looking at the ground. I could feel that she was just playing along the professor’s ‘apology’.

“Mr. Jittaleela, I admired you when I first heard that you were the one who scored the highest in the entrance exam. I admired you even more when you stepped up for your friend” he said to me.

“Thank you, sir” I said.

I glanced at Pie a little bit and I saw her staring at me blankly. What’s on her mind right now?

“Now you two, get back inside” he said.

The professor walked inside first. As we get back on our seats, I felt Pie gripping my wrist secretly. What was that supposed to mean?

As the professor briefly reminded us about the proper library etiquettes, I was staring at Pie. I could never read her mind.

---------------------------------

LIBRARY GROUNDS

“I already discussed the topic that we will research right now, right?” Yam’s dad asked the class.

“Yes, sir!” our class said in a disordered manner.

“Now, find a pair! Trios are not allowed, okay?” he exclaimed.

. I wasn’t informed that this is a pair work.

My classmates were already grouped in pairs. They seemed to know about this.

I felt that someone poked my back so I turned around. I thought it was Pie but it was a girl I never talked to before.

“Do you have a partner already?” the girl asked me. That is strange. Why would she ask me?

Another girl came to me.

“Do you want to partner with me, instead?” the girl asked.

“I asked him first!”

“Obviously, he doesn’t want to partner with you”

“What did you just say, !?”

And now they’re fighting. What am I supposed to do?

I felt something on my shoulder so I looked beside me. It was Pie’s hand, gripping my shoulder. Soon, her hand left my shoulder and then crossed her arms to her chest. She was glaring at the two girls who were fighting. That caught the girls’ attention and then she waved her hand, gesturing for them to go away. Those girls glared back at Pie but followed her command anyway. Wow. She’s so amazing! How can she shut them up without even saying anything?

She turned to me. She was a bit scary as there were remnants of the glare in her eyes.

“Why are you smiling?” she hissed. I’m… smiling?

I just scratched my head.

“Partners?” she asked coolly. I can’t believe my eyes. Pie Mindara asked ME!?

“Yes, partners!” I said, presenting her a huge smile in my face.

She gave me smile. Oh, Pie. How could you be so pretty?

------------------------------------

LIBRARY

Pie and I were looking for a book for our research together. I don’t know why but I’m really glad that Pie chose to partner with me. But I wish we could talk. I mean, I haven’t talked to her for some time and let alone see her because Yam is always clinging. My relationship with Pie is a rocky one. Why?

The first day I met her: She was drunk and was set up by some girls

The next day: We were scolded by Yam’s dad and we argued.

The third day: I stood her up in the rooftop

The fourth day: The cellar incident and the cheek kiss

The fifth day: The Yam incident

It’s like there’s this force that’s always keeping me down when we meet. Ugh, I really hate myself now.

She was browsing the books but she abruptly stopped.

“What is it? Have you found it?” I said as I stopped my search for a while.

I could feel her eyes looking at mine’s but my eyes are focused at the book that made her stop. It was book full of cake recipes.

“Nope, I suddenly remembered In’s Café when I saw this book. The matcha cake is the best!” she said with a smile.

“I-If you want, we can go there a-after class” I said.

What?

What did I just say?

My heart is beating so fast that it could just escape from my body.

There was a moment of silence. It must be unexpected for her. Soon, she pursed her lips and curved up a smile and said, “That would be… perfect”.

I presented her a huge smile when I saw her eyes disappeared as she smiled at me.

No matter how bad the rumors about her are, no matter how Yam described how much she was bullied by Pie, no matter how much I see her hurting somebody else, why can’t I bring myself to hate her?

-----------------------------

IN’S CAFÉ

“Welcome to In’s Café” Aunt In greeted us, thinking that we were customers.

“Oh hello, Tina! How’s your day?” she greeted us warmly upon realizing that it was just me.

“Hello, Aunt In! You didn’t recognize me immediately? I think your eyesight is getting really bad. We should go for a check up” I complained. Aunt In’s eyesight is starting to deteriorate.

I accidently gasped when I remembered that Pie is with me. “Oh, and Aunt In. I brought a… friend. She was also here the last time but you didn’t get to introduce each other since you were so busy” I said.

Aunt In nodded and muttered, “Oh I see”.

I took a step to my right for Aunt In to see Pie.

“Wow! Isn’t she a beauty?” she immediately said the moment she saw Pie. My heart melted when I saw Pie smiling at Aunt so warmly.

“What’s your name?” she followed up.

“My name is Pie. Nice to meet you, Miss In” Pie greeted as she presented a wai.

“Pie…” Aunt In muttered, her voice started to tremble. Aunt In stared directly at my eyes. Her eyes were so full of grief. She looked back at Pie again and studied her features.

“Miss In, are you okay?” Pie said with an unsettled tone in her voice.

Aunt In immediately kept her composure as she faced Pie.

“Y-Yes. Please h-have a seat” she said as she led us to an empty table.

As soon as we’ve seated, Aunt In called for my attention. “Tina, can you please help me in the kitchen for a while?”

I smiled at her and said, “Yes, Aunt In”. I turned to Pie. “Pie, can you wait here for a while?”

Pie presented me a sweet smile. “Sure”

------------------------------------

KITCHEN

“Kim, are you alright?” Aunt In said to me as soon as she dragged me to the kitchen.

She was cupping her palms to my cheeks as she was staring at me with the most caring gaze in her eyes.

It took me a while to answer.

“I am, Aunt In. I am” I assured her.

“I’m just worried, my child. What if she found out?” she asked me. I smiled to what she said.

“She won’t. I won’t let her” I said as I hugged Aunt In. She must have been worried seeing me hanging out with the girl from my past. But she shouldn’t. I must keep Pie safe and she will be the more she doesn’t know.

Aunt In broke the hug and grabbed two slices of cake.

“Okay. If you say so. Here, eat this with her”

I grabbed the plates.

“Thanks, Aunt In”

As I was about to walk out the kitchen, she said, “She’s so beautiful, Kim”

I smiled as a picture of Pie came into my mind. “She is”

------------------------------------------

“Hey there” I called out for Pie who seems to be attentively staring at something.

“You’re back” she said as she pursed her lips and focusing her eyes on me.

“Sorry for making you wait” I said as I prepare our table. Her hand was laying above the table. Her nail art is baby blue. It’s really cute, yet it looks y a little bit.

“It’s okay. I should be the one apologizing” she said, her eyes chasing the beautifully decorated matcha cake.

Curious at what she was staring at earlier, I shifted my eyes to the direction of her eyes earlier. It was the Jittaleela family photos. Aunt In always displays our family photos in our café. The family photos must have caught her attention.

“Your sister looks really cute when she was a baby” Pie said with a little hint of laughter in her voice. My gaze shifted back at her. She was smiling while looking at Zee’s baby picture.

“Yes, she was. Who would have known that that baby would transform into a muscular man?” I said to her, reminiscing how girly Zee used to be when I first met her.

Pie took another bite at the matcha cake. This is going awkward. I need to say something.

“So you weren’t late earlier” I stated recklessly. , Tina. Is that the only thing that you can think of right now?

She had a bite of the matcha cake and then she softly her lips. I could just melt at what I saw. How can she be so y?

“Why? Were you waiting for me?” she said as she followed it with a smile. Her eyes disappeared when she smiled.

I gave her a smile but deep inside, I was panicking. How can she caught me offguard with her question?

Think of an excuse, ANYTHING!

“Not really, I didn’t know we have a class together” I said but in truth, if only I knew, then I probably would just stare on the door and wait for her. She seemed uninterested with what I’ve said. I guess I’m just boring her.

We shared a moment of silence. The atmosphere became a little bit awkward.     

“So you already have a girlfriend, huh?” she whispered. I don’t know if it was supposed to be a statement or a question.

. What should I answer?

I could feel my heart beat so fast and my body trembling. , Tina. Get a hold of yourself.

I reached for my soda even though I am shaky until…

BUGSH!

“! I’m so sorry, Pie” I almost shouted when I slipped the soda that I was holding earlier. I immediately stood up, picked up a napkin, kneeled in front of her and tried to wipe the soda off Pie’s blouse.

“I’m so sorry”

“I’m so sorry”

“I’m so sorry” I repeatedly said while wiping her blouse.

I was so focused on wiping her blouse when her hands stopped me from doing so. I looked up to see her face. I thought that after what I did to her, she would be angry at me but she didn’t. I was expecting a frowned face but instead I saw her lips curved up into a smile.

“It’s okay, Tina. It’s not a big deal” she said as her eyes disappeared when she smiled.

Pie, can you just stop smiling? Because any moment now, my heart might just explode.

I stood up then I gently touched Pie’s shoulders. “No, I will make this up to you and you should really change. Sodas are very sticky”

I slowly held her wrist to see if she will protest but she didn’t.

“Let’s go?”

-------------------------------

I can’t help but to smile when I saw Pie wearing my oversized v-shirt tucked inside her uniform skirt. She looks like a mannequin who just came to life.

“Tina, hello? Why are you smiling?” she said as she waved her hand in front of my eyes. Apparently, she was talking to me. “Do I look alright?”

Pie, you are the most beautiful girl. No matter what you wear, you’re still the most beautiful.

“I-I think you look just fine” I bluffed but the truth is, I was just hiding how speechless I am to see how beautiful she is.

“Oh” she whispered with an apathetic look in her face. Her eyes wandered around her watch. Her face shifted into an uneasy look. “It’s getting late. I should really go back now”

She hurriedly carried her things.

“Pie, are you leaving already?” Aunt In, who was in the kitchen earlier, said. Pie gave a warm smile.

“Yes, Miss In. The driver will be coming for me, soon” She combed her hair through her hand. “Thank you so much for the cake. It’s the best!”

 “You should visit again next time, honey” Aunt In said as she gently hugged Pie.

“I will” she said. I smiled at what she said. So I’ll be seeing Pie in here again?

The two ladies broke the hug. Aunt suddenly turned her head to me.

“Tina, why are you standing there?” she grumbled.

“Huh?” I asked, not knowing what she meant. Aunt eyed me really bad.

“It’s really dark outside. Do you want Pie to walk by herself?”

Me? Alone with Pie again?

But Aunt is right, Pie shouldn’t walk alone in the dark! I must go.

“It’s ok—“ Pie said but I interrupted her. “Pie, shall we go now?” I smiled at her.

---------------------------------------

“Thank you again for inviting me over” she said as we walked in the park near our café.

I chuckled at that. No, thank you Pie for coming over.

“You should really come again next time” I blurted out. Damnit, Tina.

I could tell that she was slightly shocked at what I’ve said. Am I so obvious that I really want her to come back?

She tucked her hair on the back of her ear.

We walked for a few minutes until she stopped walking.

“So I was looking at the family pictures earlier” she said, almost whispering but I heard her just fine. Realizing that she stopped walking, I stopped and I turned to her.

 “And?”

She bit her lower lip. “How come that all of the baby photos are just Zee’s?” she asked hesitantly. She was standing there playing with her foot.

“And… why are you calling your mom ‘aunt’?”

! What should I tell?

Should I lie again?

I looked in her eyes. How could I ever lie to her again?

Breathe, Tina. Breathe. I can do this. I don’t need to lie to her. I just need to tell her a little piece of truth. Yeah, I should do that. That’s the way.

I put a wry smile as I walked towards a swing near us. “Do you want to hear the story about the boy who became a rain soldier?”

She presented me a puzzled look but she nodded anyway.

“A long time ago, a boy was born on a cold rainy day. That boy was named Thahan. Thahan means soldier. Since the boy was born on a rainy day, the mother believed that his name signifies as a rain soldier”

She sat on the swing beside mine’s.

“Thahan grew up healthy and nice. Even though he was nice, he was bullied since the boy looked like a girl. People played his name, turned it into a girl’s name and called him that. The mother, as a concerned parent, tried to stop the bullies but Thahan stopped her. The boy said he liked what others named him and the mother should just let them be. Despite all the bullying, Thahan remained gentle and soft-hearted. The boy helped those in need without expecting any rewards. The mother was pleased”

I could feel her slightly swinging from her seat.

“On a rainy day, the boy asked his mother if he could come out and play in the rain. The mother permitted him. What the mother does not know is that Thahan is not going to play, but rather, he was going to give apples to the beggars residing near the river. And so, Thahan did come to the beggars. Everything was going well. Until…”

I decided to play with my swing a little too.

“Until?” she asked. I could feel her gaze on me.

“He saw a little girl drowning in the river. Thahan, being himself, immediately jumped to the river to save the little girl. He managed to save the little girl, but…”

I looked on the ground because I was truly saddened with the story that I was telling.

“He saved the little girl but he failed to save himself. On the same rainy day, Thahan drowned”

There was a moment of silence between Pie and I. I could feel her grief in the story.

“The mother wished that Thahan did not grow up as nice as he is. The mother wished that Thahan was selfish instead. Thahan was born on a rainy day and died on a rainy day. He died like a soldier, putting the others first before himself. The mother longed for Thahan so much that she decided to adapt a boy in memory of her lost son”

I collected the courage to face Pie and then I saw her. I saw a tear coming out of her eyes.

“And do you know the name of the mother?” I asked Pie but she shook her head hesitantly.

“In is the mother’s name” I said. Pie immediately covered her eyes with her hands as she was tearing up.

“Oh, Miss In. She must have been so sad” she mumbled. I tried so hard not to cry, seeing Pie teared up like that.

“Tina used to be Thahan’s nickname. The boy was so funny, right? How could a boy like a girl’s name like that?” I couldn’t control my tears from coming.

There was a deep silence between us but it wasn’t awkward as we were trying to keep our composure after the story of Thahan.

After some while, she looked at me.

“So you were adopted?” she asked while wiping the remnants of her tears around her eyes. I nodded.

She stood up from the swing and tidied herself up.

“What’s your real name then?” she asked. There is a hint of hesitation in her tone.

I also stood up. I walked towards her and tapped her shoulder. “Someday, you’ll know”

We started walking again. After a while, we could see the car from afar. She faced my direction and I did the same thing.

“So I guess this is goodbye” I said. Please don’t go yet, Pie.

“Yeah” she said looking directly at me.

“Take care on your way” I said while turning my back on her. I don’t think I could let her go when I see her leaving.

“Tina” I heard her called out. I thought she left but she didn’t.

“Ye—“ I turned around but I was speechless when I felt something soft on my cheeks. It was only later when I realized that PIE MINDARA JUST KISSED ME!

The kiss wasn’t long but it also wasn’t short either. I can’t believe this. Is this a dream? Because I don’t want to wake up ever again.

“Now we’re even”