Your Secret Admirer 14

Your Secret Admirer

Soonyoung was dancing away the stress in the practice room he always borrowed from a friend. It had been a long week, and he needed the flow of music, the structured movements, the sense of peace. He was also waiting for Jun and Minghao to show up, they were going to be filming their next video. And while waiting, he decided to get warmed up first.

In the middle of a routine, he hears the door being opened. He doesn’t stop, but watches the door through the mirror, waiting for his friends to join him. It was their ritual, joining Soonyoung who was always first and already dancing.

But it wasn’t Jun or Minghao who walked through the doors.

Jihoon walked in and closed the door behind him. Standing quietly by the door, he stared at Soonyoung.

Seeing Jihoon, Soonyoung stops dancing and stares back at him through the mirror.

“Ji-Jihoon,” Soonyoung stumbles out, “What are you doing here?”

“I heard from Minghao you guys were having dance practice today,” Jihoon said with a slight glare.

Soonyoung frowned, he hadn’t seen that glare in while. He also know it was his own fault Jihoon was slightly angry. They’ve barely talked or seen each other since their first hang out alone. After admitting his feelings to his friends, Soonyoung was scared of seeing or talking to Jihoon.

Jihoon sighed and let the glare fall, taking small steps he walks towards Soonyoung. “You said we wouldn’t have to learn about each other through other people. But I have to find you through Minghao? What’s wrong Soonyoung?”

Soonyoung didn’t know how to respond. How could he tell Jihoon he was scared of feeling more than he already was. He was scared of everything and anything that had to do with Jihoon. Letting his guard down and opening his heart to someone like Jihoon made him scared.

With each small step Jihoon took, it lead him closer to Soonyoung. Once Jihoon was close enough, Soonyoung turned around to face him, but Jihoon didn’t stop his advance. He kept walking into Soonyoung’s personal space.

“Ji-Jihoon,” a flustered Soonyoung said, “What are you doing?”

Jihoon tilts his head up to Soonyoung and smirks, “The only thing I can think of in a situation like this.”

Soonyoung didn’t have the time to think, Jihoon was still walking forward. Not losing each other’s gaze, Soonyoung takes steps back. He was trying to keep the distance between them, but it was pointless as Jihoon only filled those spaces right back up, not willing to stay far from him.

Hitting the wall, Soonyoung knew he had nowhere else to go. He was stuck between a wall and Jihoon. Now he really didn’t have a choice but to face Jihoon head on.

Bringing up his arms, Jihoon cages Soonyoung in.

With widened eyes, Soonyoung looks at both Jihoon’s arms before looking back at Jihoon.

“Soonyoung-ah,” Jihoon said, still looking at the flustered Soonyoung, “What are you thinking about right now?”

Looking at Jihoon, Soonyoung pouts and blinks. Being this close to Jihoon, he could feel his heartbeat fastening. A heat rose up to his neck and cheeks, and he was sure he was turning red. He was sweating from exertion before, but now he was sweating from nervousness.

“I’m sorry,” Soonyoung sputtered out.

Jihoon frowned, “Why are you sorry?”

“I-I was the one who wanted us to communicate more yet I was the one who pulled back right after. I’m sure I was sending a lot of mixed signals,” Soonyoung said while grimacing.

“I don’t care what kind of signals you are sending,” Jihoon said shaking his head, “All I care is that they are coming my way. No matter what is going on your mind, I want to know of them.”

Soonyoung sighs and stares at Jihoon. Their eyes connect and Soonyoung is reminded of everything that makes up Jihoon. The care Jihoon always carries for him, the memories that ties them together, the heartache and healing they’ve been through. Being this close to Jihoon, Soonyoung remembers that nothing really could keep them apart for long. Their past and present were tied together, and Jihoon was going to do everything in his power to keep their future that way as well. The determination in Jihoon’s eyes reminds him that everything would be okay, that they were okay.

Without asking if it was okay, because he knew it was, Soonyoung leans forward and places his forehead on Jihoon’s shoulder. If Jihoon was surprised, he didn’t show it. He kept his posture, keeping Soonyoung held up.

“What’s wrong, Soonyoung?” Jihoon asked with genuine worry now.

“I missed you,” Soonyoung tells him.

“Why didn’t you just call me then, you,” Jihoon said with a small chuckle.

“I wanted to,” Soonyoung said, frowning, “But I was scared. I am scared. Do you have any idea how scary it is to fall for someone as quickly as I did you?”

There is a moment of silence before Jihoon sighs and said, “Do you have any idea how scary it is to fall in love with someone who may or may not even know of your very existence? How scary it was to almost lose the love of your life to someone else? Every day is always the same fear, what if I am forgotten by the very person who makes my life easier to live?”

Hearing Jihoon’s confession, Soonyoung brings up his arms around Jihoon’s smaller frame. Wrapping them around Jihoon, he brings their body closer to each other. Jihoon’s own hands leave the wall and returns the hug.

They hear the door opening and closing, but it doesn’t register that it means they aren’t alone anymore till they are interrupted by a cough.

Soonyoung hears the loud cough and lifts his head up towards the door. Jun and Minghao are standing there, staring at them with confusion and shock. Seeing his friends, Soonyoung becomes even more flushed.

“Ju-Jun, Minghao,” Soonyoung said in a rush, leaving the embrace of Jihoon. “Jihoon dropped by to say hi.”

Jihoon turns around to face Jun and Minghao, waving. “Hey.”

Minghao awkwardly waves back, “Jihoon-hyung did mention he wanted to come by for one of our dance practices.”

“Are we still going to film today?” Jun asked, looking from Jihoon to Soonyoung.

With the mention of film, Soonyoung remembers the reason why they were there in the first place. “Ah, yes, we’re still filming. We’ll practice a few times, then film a few, and chose the one we like best.”

 

Despite the film just having the three of them in it, Jihoon stayed to overwatch everything, giving advice to them on what could have been better for angle. After a few hours, they were satisfied with what they had gotten.

Soonyoung wanted to stay longer, to come up with new ideas for new songs, but he also knew Jihoon was waiting for him. And he knew Jihoon would have been willing to wait, but he didn’t want to make Jihoon wait. Packing up his belongings for the day, he gathers everyone together.

“I’ll be uploading the video tonight,” Soonyoung tells Jun and Minghao.

Jun nods, “Okay. Did you want to go over anything else today? It’s still pretty early. Unless you have something else to do...” Jun looks over to Jihoon.

Minghao pulls at Jun’s hand, “Come on Jun. If Soonyoung is letting us have the evening off, let’s go get the ice cream you promised me.”

“You too?” Jun asked, looking over to Minghao, “Usually you want to stay late to come up with new choreography too.”

Minghao faces Jun and pouts, “Today I want ice cream.”

Soonyoung smiles and said, “You guys can go get ice cream. We’ll start a new song next time. We still have to film all our other choreographies too later. This is enough for the day.”

“Are you sure?” Jihoon said, looking at Soonyoung with a frown, “It doesn’t bother me if you guys have to do more here.”

“Next time,” Soonyoung tells him, “We have an unfinished conversation.”

“See,” Minghao said to the group, “Everyone deserves a break. You guys go and talk, while Jun treats me to ice cream.”

“How is that a break for me?” Jun playfully argues.

Minghao blinks before saying, “You like to see me eating.”

Jun becomes quiet at that.

It was decided.

 

Soonyoung and Jihoon found themselves walking along the Han River. At first, they walked next together in a peaceful silence, just enjoying each other’s company. Then Jihoon slid his hand into Soonyoung’s, and Soonyoung looked down only to hold onto Jihoon’s tighter.

“You guys were amazing back there,” Jihoon said, smiling to himself.

“I actually have something to tell you about my dancing,” Soonyoung said, also smiling to himself.

Jihoon looks up and smiles even wider, “What is it?”

“I know what I want to do with my future now,” Soonyoung said, smiling towards Jihoon, “and part of it was all thanks to you.”

“Tell me,” Jihoon said, holding onto Soonyoung’s hand even tighter in anticipation.

“It’s a little crazy, but I want to open up my own dancing studio. So I can teach others who want to learn to dance as well,” Soonyoung tells Jihoon with a wide smile, “It’s a little tough right now, since I don’t have my own dance studio, but I’m working on it. Once school is done, and after I start college, I hope to have it up and running. It’s a little crazy to try juggling it all, but it’s my passion, and I want to have it all.”

Jihoon chuckles, swinging their arm, “It sounds like you’ve thought of it all. How did I help you in any of that?”

Soonyoung looks over to Jihoon and his smile reaches his eyes, “My inspiration, my determination, my motivator. It was all you.”

Jihoon pulls at Soonyoung’s hand, making them bump into each other. “Even if I motivate you, you still put in all the hard work.”

“Ahhh, that reminds me,” Soonyoung said, his smile falling a little, “I-I got a job.”

“A job?” Jihoon asked, his smile disappearing too.

“For the dance studio,” Soonyoung said, nodding, “My parents would never approve of it. They expect me to get some company job, something that I can work 9 to 5, and still get the weekends off. They want me to have a normal stable life. And I get it, I do, the stable life. But I want more than that. I want to live the way I want to live. For my own happiness.”

Intertwining their fingers, Jihoon squeezes Soonyoung’s hand, “I understand, and I agree. For your happiness, because I want you to happy. But let’s tweak it a little bit.”

Soonyoung glances at Jihoon and asks, “Tweak it?”

Jihoon nods, “Let’s buy a building. Where you can have your dance studio, and where I can have my art studio. All in one building, somewhere I won’t have to run around to find you. Where I can just walk one floor down and I know you will be there. Where you can come find me if you become mad at your students and need to see me or want a hug. Somewhere we’re happy together.”

Stopping them in their tracks, Soonyoung faces Jihoon, “You’re serious, aren’t you?”

“For our happiness, I am very serious,” Jihoon tells him. “I need a studio so I can paint, I can’t continue doing it in my bedroom. And I am very serious about us.”

“Us?” Soonyoung wondered out loud, he had almost forgotten.

“Yes, us,” Jihoon said as he pulled Soonyoung along on their walk, “This is our second date. And very soon here, I am going to ask you something you cannot refuse.”

“Wha-What are you...?” Soonyoung stumbled out.

“Would you like to be my boyfriend, Kwon Soonyoung?” Jihoon asked, looking Soonyoung in the eye.

Soonyoung looks back, confused. “Second date? Boyfriend?”

Jihoon laughs, “You’re so cute. Of course, I want you to be my boyfriend. That one should have been obvious. And yes, we’re on our second date. So what do you say?”

They stayed that way for a second and it almost seemed to blur into minutes. Soonyoung was too stunned at how easy everything was. He couldn’t believe it was actually happening.

“You still haven’t answered me,” Jihoon said, swinging Soonyoung’s arm.

Soonyoung could feel the thumping of his heart against his chest. His heart was trying to reach out to Jihoon, to tell him what Soonyoung couldn’t.

While they walked, Soonyoung pulled Jihoon’s hand up and placed it over his heart.

“What is it telling you?” Soonyoung whispered loud enough for Jihoon to hear.

“Your heart?” Jihoon whispered back, “It’s telling me... It’s telling me yes.”

Jihoon looks up to Soonyoung to confirm it.

Soonyoung returns the look and nods, “Yes.”

A smile grows on Jihoon’s lips and Soonyoung returns it with his own smile. It felt good, to not be scared of hiding from Jihoon.

“You’re responsible for me now,” Jihoon tells him, “Not that you haven’t already been. But you better be careful. Cause as you know, Seungcheol is still going to be around, and now I really can’t protect you from him anymore.”

Soonyoung looks at him with worry, “Wouldn’t Seungcheol be happy?”

Jihoon begins laughing, holding onto his stomach with his free hand, “You really do know Seungcheol, huh? He’s been wanting to know what’s been going on.” Jihoon stops laughing and continues, “Seriously though, you might want to be careful still, who knows what he is thinking at times.”

Swinging Jihoon’s arm, Soonyoung nods with a smile, “Of course. I want us to be happy. And we will be.”

“Does that mean you want our building to happen?”

Soonyoung’s smile grows wider, “I do.”

 

The next few weeks go by in a blur. Soonyoung works. Jihoon paints. Soonyoung, Jun, and Minghao film, and put out more of their dance videos. Jihoon watches Soonyoung come up with more new choreography. Soonyoung forces Jihoon out on dates. Jihoon teaches Soonyoung about art. Soonyoung shows off a very intimate dance that leaves Jihoon open mouth speechless. Things are good, if not amazing.

Then one day, Jihoon asks Soonyoung over to his house.

“Did you want to come over to my house?” Jihoon asked over the phone.

Soonyoung stays quiet, unsure of what to say. It seemed too quick, going over to each other’s houses, and what if Jihoon’s parents were over?

“W-Why?” Soonyoung asked, still flustered, “Did you want to show me some of your paintings?”

“It’s a secret,” Jihon tells him.