Your Secret Admirer 1

Your Secret Admirer

Soonyoung stood frozen in front of a desk. This wasn't just any random desk though. The desk in front of him belonged to the boy he was crushing on. He looked down at the letter he had in his hand and thought about what he wanted to do.

Just place the letter down. It was as easy as that. Once it was on the desk, the first step was done. Once he had the first step done, and was out of the classroom, he could worry about the next step. Which was knowing his crush would be reading his letter.

Closing his eyes, Soonyoung tilted his head all the way back. He opened his eyes and looked at the ceiling. He had written and rewritten the hand written confession many times that night trying to get it right. How were you to say that you've been crushing and dreaming about someone for the last year? Especially when the only contact they shared throughout that whole year was the few random times Soonyoung purposely accidentally bumped into his crush.

Exhaling, Soonyoung smoothed out any wrinkles from the envelope and placed it on the desk. Nothing was written on the envelope except for the initials of his crush.

Nothing happened in the following week. But of course that was to be expected, Soonyoung didn’t give his name. He had signed it as “your secret admirer.”

In his bag was letter number two. Soonyoung had spent so many nights sleepless with a clouded mind, tossing and turning, he never woke up early enough. Every morning, when his mother came in to wake him up, Soonyoung screamed out in agony realizing how late he was.

Now it was the weekend and he had to wait for Monday to come around. He didn’t mind, it gave him the chance to go and stalk the musical genius, Woozi, on his youtube. Soonyoung sat in front of his computer and clicked on video after video. Even though he’s seen all of them many times, he couldn’t get enough. Each video had it’s own unique quality, and Soonyoung found himself lost for hours in them.

Somehow there was a rumor, of Woozi attending their school, circulating the student body. And it was what made Soonyoung go back to the videos, wondering if he had ever bumped into the boy. No one knew who Woozi was in real life, or what he looked like. In every video Woozi posted, he had donned on a different mask. There was only one video, where Woozi wore a masquerade mask, showing off the bottom half of his face.

Soonyoung was watching the video now, studying Woozi’s lips. He squinted and tilted his head in wonder. Who could he be?

 

On Monday morning Soonyoung was up bright and early, astonishing his parents. They were delighted with the thought of how much Soonyoung wanted to go learn something. Only, they didn’t know how much Soonyoung wanted to go send his second letter. He quickly ate whatever breakfast his mother put in front of him, bid his parents a good day, and ran off for school.

Spriting like a madman, Soonyoung reached the desk in record time. Although... he had to crouch over it, holding on to it for dear life, while he calmed his breathing down. When he could stand up again, without feeling like he would throw up his breakfast, Soonyoung brought out the letter. He took it between his palms and place it in front of his face. Quickly praying that his crush would read this one as well, he placed it on the desk and ran out of the room.

How was Soonyoung sure that his crush would be getting the letters? He had overheard what the boy’s first class of the day was. Then he had come early to find out when the boy reached class, happily noting how his crush was always first in class. It made leaving the letter easier. From there he started plotting his secret admirer plan.

 

Soonyoung was literally dancing in the clouds for the rest of the week. Even though he didn’t know how his crush was reacting to the letters, he felt accomplished. He had confessed and was telling everything he wanted to the boy he liked.

“Are you okay?” Jun asked him.

Soonyoung looked over at his friend and smiled, “Everything is amazing. I have amazing friends, I have amazing parents, and I am in love with an amazing person.”

Jun exhaled, almost sick with his friend’s actions, “You finally confessed?”

“I wrote a letter to him!” Soonyoung said, leaning against Jun.

“He knows it’s you sending the letters? Cause I haven’t seen you guys talking to each other...” Jun asks.

Soonyoung cups his blushing cheeks, “I’m his secret admirer.”

“Soonyoung,” Jun groaned, “That is so gross.”

Soonyoung chuckled, hiding behind his hands. He was too happy with how his life was at the moment. Nothing could ruin it.

 

To keep the letters consistent, Soonyoung decided to wait for Monday again to send his third letter. He didn’t want to be too eager with the process. Being hidden from his crush was enjoyable. The tables had turned, Soonyoung giggled with this thought, his crush knew he liked him but he didn’t know it was Soonyoung. It used to only be Soonyoung in this one-sided relationship, but now his crush knew about him.

Leaving his third letter, Soonyoung skipped out of the class.

“So,” Jun said, sitting next to Soonyoung, “You sent the third one?”

“Yup!” Soonyoung said, enjoying his lunch.

“He isn’t showing much of a reaction,” Jun said as he looked over to a group of people.

Soonyoung turned his head in the same direction and noticed the group of musical students. He tuned his vision to one person in particular and smiled. The group laughed out loud at a joke that must have been said, and Soonyoung chuckled along. Jun’s face fell in disgust, shaking his head with disbelief.

“He knows someone here, in this school, likes him,” Soonyoung said with a grin, “And that is the part I’m sure he likes best.”

 

When Monday rolled around, Soonyoung was confident with his fourth letter. He was up early, filled with breakfast, and the stroll to school was pleasant. Everything, for the last few weeks, was perfect. Soonyoung knew this week would be perfect as well.

Soonyoung hummed as he walked up to the desk. He was so happy in thought that he didn’t even notice the little note on the desk. Singing, he pulled the envelope out of its place in his bag. He was about to place his own letter down when he finally saw it. A piece of paper was folded in half, and laying on the desk he had visited for the last three Mondays.

He froze.

This was something he was not expecting.

Picking up the note, Soonyoung left his own letter. He walked out of the classroom dazed. Not daring to read the note till he was safely alone, Soonyoung left for the rooftop.

Only then did he sit down and look at the note. On the outside, neat handwriting wrote: to, secret admirer.

Soonyoung’s heart was racing. His crush had decided to respond to him. Blood drained from his face. Soonyoung didn’t know if this would be a good thing or a bad thing.

Opening up the paper, Soonyoung gazed the length before reading the note. Again the neat handwriting could be seen, but not much was written on the note.

“let’s meet

under the cherry tree

4pm”

Soonyoung couldn’t believe it. His crush wanted to meet up with him. Again, he was frozen in shock. Nothing, but his fast beating heart, could be heard. He couldn’t believe it. All the letters, and courage to finally make a move, was paying off. He had been given the chance to talk to his crush.

Only when the five minute bell warning went off did Soonyoung come back to reality. Inhaling, Soonyoung got up from the floor and ran towards his first class.

Not once, during the whole day, did Soonyoung’s heart slow down. He wasn’t sure if he was excited or worried to the nth degree about meeting his crush. What if he didn’t like Soonyoung back? What if he wanted to meet up to tell him to stop writing to him? How did this happen? Soonyoung was so happy earlier, and now he was a ball of nervous reck.

“Dude,” Jun said, blinking at the pale Soonyoung, “What happened to you?”

“He wrote back,” Soonyoung told him, holding onto his upset stomach.

“Shouldn’t you be happy?” Jun asked.

“Should I?” Soonyoung wondered out loud.

Jun smacked his friend’s head lightly, “It’s everything you’ve been waiting for. You’ve always been the cheerful, bright, optimistic guy, don’t lose that part of yourself now. I’m sure he’ll be glad to know who you are.”

Soonyoung smiled at his friend’s words. With that, Soonyoung’s heart lighten up. Jun was right, no matter what happened, he would be fine.

 

The school wasn’t only known for a rumor of youtube star Woozi in their attendance, they were also known for the lone cherry tree in their yard. No one knows who planted it, but it was there. Ever since the sudden appearance of the tree, a popular legend was born with it. Any relationship started there had two certain outcome. One being a long happy relationship, the other being a short unhappy time with breakups in the end.

Soonyoung tried not to worry about it too much. What they were doing was not starting anything, they were just meeting up for the first time.

15 minutes early, an anxious Soonyoung was standing under the cherry tree. He didn’t want to look to eager, but in the end he didn’t care. Soonyoung liked the guy, he might as well show how much he liked him.

He wasn’t sure which way his crush would be showing up, so he just waited. Out of nervousness, he grabbed his phone and placed his earplugs into his ears. Soonyoung tapped on the youtube app and looked up Woozi. Listening to Woozi always calmed him down.

Paying attention to the youtube star made the sound of feet walking up to Soonyoung go unnoticed. Even a quiet “Uhm,” from the voice behind him went unnoticed.

Finally, a poke to his back made Soonyoung notice the time. Seeing the 4:02 on the top of the right screen, Soonyoung’s eyes widen. Knowing who was poking him made his eye’s widen even more. Quickly, he pulled the earplugs out and stuffed them into his pockets.

Turning around with a pounding heart and wide smile, Soonyoung faced his crush. Yet, the moment they faced each other Soonyoung’s smiled fell. The person standing in front of him wasn’t his crush.

“Jihoon?” Soonyoung said, staring at the boy.

Jihoon looked at him with an inexpressive face, “I’ve been receiving your letters.”