Chapter One

Acacia [Hiatus]

Un-beta-ed

--

“Hey, did you hear? Mrs. Kim from the end of this road claims she saw a young girl, no more in her early teens, by the governor’s side as he left to report to the emperor! She says she’s the child everyone talked about!”

 

“Lies, I think. From what I heard, Governor Lee has a boy. Also, the child is supposed to be in the late teens, considering that the rumor started more than a decade and a half ago.”

 

“What? So you’re saying what Mrs. Kim claimed is nothing but a joke? A fabrication?”

 

“I have nothing against her, but you do realize that no one had seen the child before. It may be true and it may not.”

 

“…I suppose that is true. I just don’t understand what had gone into Governor Lee’s mind when he decided not to give his child a public appearance.”

 

“It might as well be a mystery.”

 

--

 

A short sigh left Myungsoo’s lips the moment he trailed back into the kitchen after taking several orders from the customers. Yet again, it was another day where people were venturing around and spreading rumors about the governor’s mystery child. Seriously, how many years had it been since it first started? He heard more about it than he would’ve liked. Upon reaching the open door at the back of the vast room, he held up a piece of scrap paper and called out, “Two orders of mid-spicy ramyun please!”

 

“Got it.” The dark-haired boy watched as Sunggyu, a childhood friend three years his senior, arrived to pick up the slip once he finished up preparing the toppings for the noodles. The older was the motherly figure in his life, with dark spiky hair, small narrow eyes, and a gentle smile. A little too kind if you asked him, but that was why he was there to protect him. Once he reached up to Myungsoo, he stopped to take a good look at him. “What’s wrong? You look like you swallowed a rock.”

 

The younger, who didn’t realized he was grimacing the entire time, returned the stare. “Just people talking.”

 

“Ah…that again.” Sunggyu nodded in understanding before waving a hand. “Ignore it like we always do.”

 

“Listening to them speak of it several hours a day caused my mind to crack a little.” was the dull response.

 

The older patted his shoulder sympathetically.

 

“I feel for you, hyung. Really. So why are you talking about that?” The two turned to the side to find Sungjong, their other childhood friend and the youngest of the trio. Sungjong was, for lack of a better term, a pretty boy- one who had girls and boys flocking his way for attention. Of course, that may be the case if it wasn't for his sharp tongue. The boy peered in from the door, right next to Myungsoo, with an inquisitive look on his face.

 

Myungsoo shrugged his shoulders in response. “It’s difficult not to listen to these kinds of thing…especially when you’re taking orders for them.”

 

“But isn’t it annoying?” Sungjong frowned, his eyebrows furrowing together. Then, he ran a hand through his chocolate brown hair and scratching the back of his head a little in mild frustration. “Tch. Why couldn’t they just introduce the kid and let us live peacefully?”

 

“What can you do? The governor in this district is a powerful figure. It’s not surprising that any of his family members are well known because of it.” Sunggyu explained calmly.

 

“Oh! Maybe the kid died or something and they’re hiding that fact. Or maybe the kid’s ugly! Or-”

 

“Do not start gossiping.” The older warned.

 

Sungjong’s lips formed into a cute pout. “I’m not like those people, hyung.”

 

“Kids! What are you doing, lounging around like that?” The trio jolted up in surprise before they turned to find Myungsoo’s dad, looking more than a little disheveling from cooking up the food and calming the complaining customers outside. “An old man like me can’t handle everything myself. Get a move on! Go, go!”

 

“S-Sorry, we’re going!” Sunggyu and Sungjong began to scramble for the neatly lined trays nearby and took several of them to the tables. Myungsoo, who didn’t feel like he was in a hurry, shifted his gaze toward his father. The older man raised an eyebrow and sighed. “Myungsoo…one of these days, we need to fix this turtle slow personality of yours.” Right before he let the boy comment, he picked up the remaining trays and handed them to his son. “Give these to table eight and nine.” Then, he waved him off before heading back into the kitchen.

 

Myungsoo slightly inclined his head to the side before he continued off with the orders. Really now, he wasn’t slow like his father says; he just like to work at his own pace. Just as he was about to reach one of the ordering tables, a voice sang out,

 

“Oh Myungie~!”

 

Said boy immediately cringed at the nickname. There was only one person in this whole world who would call him by that. His eyes shifted toward the source, narrowing once they reached their target. “…Dongwoo-hyung.”

 

The older boy gave him wide smile, followed by a small wave. And sitting right across from him was Howon, his not-so-public lover.

 

“Hyung-deul!” Sungjong trotted over to them as soon as he dropped off the food, his arms clutching around Sunggyu’s as he led them to the table. “Aren’t you supposed to be in school? What are you doing here?”

 

Dongwoo and Howon were the two lucky ones of their group to be attending school. Despite being in lower class clans, both managed to pass their entry exams and they were on their way to achieve higher positions within the palace. The only problem with this was the fact that they enjoy straying away from their work to hang out in the restaurant. Not that any of them minded (though Sunggyu sometimes reprimanded them for lack of responsibility).

 

“It’s our lunch break!...Stop looking at me like that, Gyu-hyung, it’s true!”

 

The eldest eyed Dongwoo for a moment longer before muttering, “It’d better be. Last time you claimed it was your lunch break, one of your teachers brought you back by the ear.”

 

“Ugh, stop reminding me.” Dongwoo covered his ears at the memory. Howon couldn’t help but to let out a small chuckle at the sight. His lover glowered at him for a second before he perked up again. “Hey, I heard you guys talking about that age old rumor-“

 

“From across the room?” Myungsoo inquired, eyebrow raised.

 

“-and I want to make a proposition!”

 

“And I’ve been ignored…” Sungjong patted the boy’s shoulder unsympathetically. At the same time, he questioned in curiosity, “What might that be?”

 

Dongwoo’s smile widened into a grin. “One of us should go to the governor’s home and check up who’s living there.”

 

Sunggyu gaped at him. “You mean, breaking and entering without permission? We’ll get arrested for that!”

 

“Oh come on! I heard there’s hardly anyone there!”

 

“No.” was the firm response.

 

Sungjong, on the other hand, replies, “That’s actually not a bad idea. At least this way, we can tell which rumor holds the truth.”

 

Sungjong!

 

Dongwoo brightened up considerably. “Great! Now why don’t we pick out who’s going?”
 

“I’m not participating.” Sunggyu spoke up, arms crossed.

 

“Me neither.” Myungsoo agreed.

 

“And me!” Sungjong smiled sweetly.

 

“I have lessons.” Howon supplied with a raised hand.

 

“Hey! That’s not fair” Dongwoo whined; at the same time, his mind was whirling in attempt to find a persuasive way to get them into the game. Then, it hit him. “Rock, Paper, Scissor then.” He raised a fist up with a look of anticipation. He hoped this method work. It’d be frustrating to look for another one.

 

Howon stared at the boy before him for a moment before he sighed as he too raised a fist. “Okay, I’m in.” He was certain he wouldn’t be the one who’d lose out, considering the amount of luck he had amongst the group.

 

Sungjong was hesitant but he too followed suit. “Sunggyu-hyung? Myungsoo-hyung?”

 

Myungsoo caught the eldest’s gaze and while he didn’t want to join this sort of game, he reluctantly raised his fist. He squished away the twinge of regret that settled in his stomach and hoped he had nothing to worry about. Dongwoo grinned victoriously when Sunggyu, being the last one, finally joined in.

 

“Great! Now, ready…”

 

They all raised their fist up. “Rock, Paper, Scissor!”

 

Their fists came down- no result. So they tried again and by the time they reached their fifth try, they found themselves a winner.

 

“Congratulations, Kim Myungsoo. You win a free trip to paradise!” Dongwoo laughed and clapped with excitement.

 

Myungsoo groaned, his face planted into his palm.

 

He had just won a one-way trip to hell.

 

tbc.

 

A/N: Ho snap, I've gotten myself 13 subscribers ;~; <3 Thank you all very much for taking interest in this story. Granted, this isn't as perfect as I had anticipated (as to be expected of myself ._.) but I hoped it made sense to you guys. Until next time!

And by the way, I was going to update yesterday but I wasn't on for nearly the whole day, ha ha. Hope you guys had a good holiday so far~