Inner Peace

Small World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BOM’S POV

---

Bom is at the grocery. She was about to take a shower when she noticed that her shampoo and conditioner bottles are already empty. Plus she needed to change her toothbrush as well. Seeing that she actually is almost out of stock of her essentials at home, she decided to just drive to the nearest grocery (not really near since she has to drive and its lots of roads away).

 

She took a pushcart and starts to scan the line of racks and stalls. She texted Dara to wait for her since she knew herself that she’ll take a long time in the grocery.

 

“Gochujang, Sesame Oil, Kimchi, Apples, Oranges, Peaches…” she hummed while tossing the things in her cart.

 

She went to the bath essentials and did the same with the shampoo, conditioner, soap, facial soap, toothpaste, toothbrush and so much more. Dara always teases her that she’s not fit for convenience stores since it was never convenient for her.

 

She tends to buy whole lot of things other than the ones listed that can only be found in groceries. She noticed a little boy looking for something…or someone.

 

Is he lost?

 

Bom was about to approach the kid when he starts to run and calling someone “mom”. Bom’s gaze landed to a pregnant woman whose face is in a lot of worry.

 

The little boy is running a little too fast and an unexpected event happened. He bumped into his mother’s stomach too hard and the woman wimped in pain. Seconds after, the woman fell to the ground, holding her baby bump.

 

Without wasting any second, Bom rushed to them and people starts to gather around.

 

A man is cradling the woman’s head. She saw him run first before her and managed to catch the woman, preventing her head to hit the floor.

 

“I’m Park Bom, I’m a doctor at HanShin Hospital” Bom introduced in a fast manner, just like how they were trained.

 

She tapped the woman’s shoulders to try to wake her up. The woman answered with a groan then starts wimping in pain again.

 

“Are you the husband? Call 911!” Bom ordered.

 

“No I am not. I just happen to witness what happened and rushed when she fell” the man answered.

 

“Call 911!”

 

The man searched for his phone then dialed for emergency.

 

The woman is losing consciousness. Bom took out her light pen and starts to examine her eyes.

 

They’re dilated.

 

“Did you call 911?” Bom asked while checking the woman’s pulse and breathing. She also pinched the thumbs of the woman with a pen to see if she’s still conscious.

 

“Yes. They said they’re on their way” said the man but then he spots the wet floor under the woman’s legs.

 

“Doctor, there’s water” Bom looked at the area where the man pointed and saw that the water is already flowing.

 

“Her water broke. She’s going to have the baby. What are we going to do?” said one of the worried costumers.

 

Bom tried hard to remain calm but it’s no use. She hasn’t dealt with a pregnant woman before.

 

Dara. I need Dara.

 

It’s a relief that Dara answered in one ring but the relief didn’t last long.

 

“Dara-yah, mianhe. I have an emergency patient”

 

“Go ahead”

 

“Don’t worry. Mom will be alright. Don’t cry” the man was comforting the kid.

 

“Be quiet, both of you” she hissed at the two and went back to the phone “A pregnant woman in her mid-thirties. Both her pupillary reflex and her pupil dilation in the right eye are five millimeters. She's experiencing paralysis in the left. It has to be hemorrhage or cerebral infarction in the right brain”

 

"It could be a cerebral arterial hemorrhage"

 

Bom inhaled deeply, “How can I confirm?”

 

"You won't know that with the eye. Did you call the ambulance?"

 

"Yes I did," she said, voice now in state of panic, "But her water broke three minutes ago. There's no hospital near here with both neurology and obstetrics. Get us in HanShin, Dara-yah"

 

"Okay, I will. Bom-ah, please stay calm"

 

Just then, the woman starts throwing up. The people around starts to panic as well. Bom immediately tried to free the woman’s entry of air in the throat using her fingers. Feeling the now unblocked throat, she steadied the woman’s head and began to commence CPR.

 

Fortunately, she got the air in and the woman’s starts to cough.

 

"Hello? Hello? Bom-ah? Hello? What's going on?"

 

She picked up the phone and put it on speaker mode, "She just threw up. She's having trouble breathing. I think we need to intubate her. If the ambulance doesn't come on time, I'll have to make do a trachea incision."

 

"Don't do it" Dara warned, "How can you do it without any proper surgical tools? If something goes wrong, you'll have your license banned. If something goes wrong, you'll damage the artery, cause bleeding, and damage the thyroid gland."

 

Bom is now starting to pant because of adrenaline. She looked at the boy who’s still cradled by the man, “Hold your mom’s hand and give her strength”

 

"Why would we do that?” the man frowned at her.

 

“You, hold on too. You don’t love with the heart. You love with the brain. It’s what lets you decide whether you like or dislike a person. The brain can feel it too.” Bom said while looking at the woman.

 

The man immediately grabbed the boy’s hand and placed it on his mom’s.

 

“Are you really a doctor?”

 

“Do you have a knife?” Bom asked, turning to the man.

 

“What?”

 

Before she could answer back, she heard the alarm from the ambulance. She felt like a thorn was removed from her because of relief.

 

“We need to intubate her. Give me a tube for her trachea” she said on the attending medical officer.

 

“Are you a doctor?”

 

“Yes”

 

The two medical officers starts to load the patient on the bed to carry her inside the ambulance where Bom can start the intubation.

 

The ambulance door was open for air causing the people outside to see what Bom was doing. She’s now stabilizing the patient’s breathing with a mobile oxygen.

 

“Give me the laryngoscope” she ordered.

 

The officer handed her the tool. It was made in metal and has a hook-like end.

 

“Please hold on a little longer” she said while inserting the tool inside the patient’s throat through the mouth.

 

“Tube please”

 

The patient starts to cough a little.

 

“Please take that out” Bom said and the medical officer took out the second tube inside the larger tube. She then connected the mob

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter