First And Last Time

Was I Dreaming?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Months have gone by and Byul is now finally used to the fact that her dormmate slash friend is no longer single, that she's now dating someone who Byul had a crush on too. It didn't hurt anymore though, so all is good.

Byul believes in karma, the good and the bad ones.

Thus, making her believe that when she does something good, eventually, she will have good things happening in her life. It may not come in the same form (for one, she gave up her feelings for her dormmate's happiness doesn't mean she will immediately get a good girlfriend), but Byul believe that good things will happen in any type of form. So, all she's been doing was just doing good things with her best.

Byul also believes that one doesn't have to seek for a partner.

She believes that when the time comes, there will be someone for you. She isn't a really religious person, but she knows whoever is up there that manages all human lives, must have already have each human be paired up with another human being (or other beings too because some people have weird es). So, Byul didn't really 'try' to find a partner. Besides, she's not really interested after what happened with Joohyun.

But to hell with Byul's readiness because whoever-is-up-there has decided that it's time for Byul to have another taste of 'romance' in her life.

This one, surprisingly, comes from a guy.

That is one surprising thing, for sure.

We all do remember that Byul doesn't root for opposite team. But this one is a really huge exception for a few important reasons.

This guy was someone Byul met at Wheein's and Hyejin's university. He majors literature, a little different from Wheein and he was currently being Wheein's and Hyejin's senior. He has average height, cute smile and a really good sense of humor–it's one of the reasons why Byul was so quick to get close to him. Him and Byul soon became 'bros' and the fact that they were born in the same year only makes it all more obvious.

Oh, forgot to mention his name; the guy's name is Lee Junghwan.

He is more popular known as Sandeul–he is a literature student and aims to be a writer so he decided that he wanted to use that name as his penname.

How did they meet?

Well, it was because one day Wheein, Hyejin and Byul agreed to meet up at a cafe, basically just to hang out and Wheein said she will probably bring a friend along because they have a project to work on. Turned out, Wheein, as an art student, was working on a book cover for Junghwan, as a literature student. For a second, both Hyejin and Byul almost mistake Junghwan as Wheein's boyfriend.

From one meeting alone is enough for Junghwan and Byul to be friends.

They exchanged numbers on that same day too.

One meeting led to another.

And one chat led to another.

They both got comfortable with each other so quick that it was even faster than how it was with Joohyun a few months back. Junghwan was playful, he likes to mess with Byul and Byul never hesitates to mess with him too. The reason why the label 'bros' being used for them was because of how their friendship works.

Byul has always been one to get the upper hand in teasings and pranks.

She loves to tease and prank others just for her own 'fun' and because she likes seeing people's reactions to it. Some people already got used to it, like Wheein and Hyejin, they're both already immune to Byul's teasings. YooA has one of the best reactions–if not being really expressive with her response. Seulgi, too, sometimes get flustered and Sunmi usually just play along with it. Rarely people have the reactions Byul wanted though.

This far, only she-whom-shall-not-be-named and Joohyun owns the title for best reactions.

But Byul keep refusing to admit that one person actually holds the title to make Byul feel as if she has never had the upperhand in those things. She refuses to admit defeat even though in truth, this one person always manages to pull a prank on her, and make fun of her and then get away with it. That person being the one and only, Lee Junghwan.

If you look at it at one of their perspective, it won't look as cute as when you look at it from a third point of view. According to Wheein, if she didn't know them personally, she would think both of them are dating for a long while or maybe even married at some point. Hyejin shared the same thought and she was surprised with the fact that Byul can get super close with a guy, Hyejin thought Byul was incapable of doing that but maybe Junghwan really has that 'x' factor to Byul.

But in all honesty, Byul and Junghwan really feels like they're the same person who shares one life.

They're not only have similarities, they have the same tastes, the same hobbies, the same preference towards the type of girl they like. Sure, they like to throw playful banter a lot–more often than not. Sometimes it gets a bit playfully violent–mostly Byul throwing punches at Junghwan. But whenever they get to sit and talk like an actual adult, they always get to understand each other.

Byul particularly feels connected to him when he admitted one day that he has not moved on from his ex. He said his ex broken up with her last boyfriend and contacted him, he said he wished she wouldn't do that because he knew he wouldn't have the courage to say no. But somewhere in his deepest heart, he wanted her to come to him and not just anyone.

He also said that he and his ex were together for a really long time before she broke up with him around three years ago because she had to study overseas and couldn't stand the idea of having a long distance-relationship. But even before the break up, Junghwan knew she was already cheating on him with someone else. His ex was also his childhood friends, which for Byul, makes it all even harder for Junghwan to forget or ignore her.

There's a sense of pity and Byul somehow shares the same idea with him. That if she were to be in his place, she would've done the same thing, she would've crawl back to her if she were to simply just ask. No matter how much she hurt him. And that's not okay at all, that isn't healthy for anyone.

Junghwan said Byul doesn't have to feel burden by him suddenly spilling out his past with his ex, said he didn't expect any solution because his intention wasn't to seek for one from Byul. He just needed someone to listen to him because he's been bottling all up.

But after that, Byul did feel as if she owes something to Junghwan.

Thus, after some time, Byul decided to open up.

For the first time, Byul is brave enough and trust someone enough to tell her story with she-whom-shall-not-be-named in the past. Junghwan was the first and last guy Byul would ever tell about this. At the end of the story, Junghwan told Byul that her story felt like it came straight out of a fictional story, a fanfiction. He simply could hardly believe someone like she-whom-shall-not-be-named exists, did all of those things and get away with it.

"How does she live her life...? I don't get it."

With a chuckle, Byul says, "Me neither."

Byul earned a respect from Junghwan.

See, that's the similarities they shared.

Junghwan and Byul had been cheated on, purposely or not, had been left by their loved ones. The only difference here is the fact that Junghwan still in contact with his ex while Byul no longer able to do that with her ex.

Byul doesn't know which one is better.

To be in her place right now or to be in Junghwan's place.

Honestly, she used to think being in Junghwan's place is better. "At least you still get to see her." - were the words she used to say to him. But after witnessing Junghwan himself going through everything, Byul started to think that, "Maybe it's better if I don't meet her again. Ever."

Because Junghwan was a mess.

He couldn't stop loving his ex that it hurts him physically and that got Byul worried about his well-being. After meeting with his ex, usually his mood would be sour and he would go out to drink. Byul knew about his drinking habits, especially if he's stressed about the ex and whenever it happens, she would just let him and listen to him the best way she can.

Junghwan was thankful for Byul.

He admitted one day, randomly, to Byul that whenever he's with Byul and just talk and joke around, he would forget everything about his ex. That Byul helped him to forget. And unknowingly, from then on, Byul started to meet him more often, simply because she doesn't want him to remember his ex and end up hurting again.

Byul survives this far because she-whom-shall-not-be-named physically left her.

And Junghwan could hardly survive because the ex didn't physically leave him.

And Byul thinks, if she can help Junghwan forget then she would do it. But Byul was unaware that this will lead to another chapter of 'romance' in Byul's life because it was never part of the plan where Byul starting to catch feelings towards Junghwan.

It doesn't make sense to her at all.

But one day, she just feels that tingly feeling when he looks at her with his smile. She gets flustered so easily at his teasings, resulting in him getting a punch on his forearm harder than usual. Her heart beats ridiculously faster when he playfully embraces her. It doesn't make sense. Junghwan was like a brother Byul never had. They're each other's 'bros' - bros don't fall for each other, do they...?

Well, they do though not all the time. It’s a rare think. Byul didn’t think she would be involved in one of those scenarios. She couldn’t believe how her mind liking the idea of being as more than friends with Junghwan and how she and him would be better off being together than having to deal with their unrequited toxic love for their exes. That if Junghwan said Byul makes him forget about the pain, then she may as well stay by his side at all times and even better as someone who he would hold dearly like he did to his ex.

But even after accepting the fact that Byul likes him as more than friends, she still didn’t try to pursue him. Mainly because Junghwan is a guy and this got to be Byul’s first time dealing with romantic feelings towards a guy, she doesn’t know if she should be the one to act on it first. Honestly speaking, if she had to then she wouldn’t mind it either.

Byul isn’t blind, she can sense how Junghwan is also fond of her.

She’s confident enough that he is interested enough with her for him to consider ever upgrading their friendship status as something more than friends.

But turned out Byul didn’t need to do that at all when one day Junghwan texted her and asked to meet him by the Han River. Byul didn’t see it coming though, she thought Junghwan just wanted to talk because last time she checked he was supposed to meet up with his ex earlier today. She thought maybe the meeting with the ex didn’t go well and now he needs Byul to let it all out whatever it is in his mind.

Byul was wrong.

When she got there, Junghwan was dressed nicely in a suit and holding a bouquet of flowers that he hid behind his back. His posture was stiff as if he was nervous and then when his eyes met hers, he started to smile and seemed to relax a bit as she watched his smile grew wider. Byul stepped closer until she was only a few feet away from him, she chuckles because she had no idea why is he dressing as if he’s about to propose to his girlfriend.

“Okay, you better tell me why are you dressing like that?” Byul tries to not laugh at him but she failed and eventually laughed out loud and causing people around to start noticing them and the way Junghwan was dressing.

“Yah, stop that!” Junghwan ushered to Byul’s side and have one of his unoccupied hands covering Byul’s lips.

“Mmm!” Byul struggled.

This only cause people to pay their attention more to the two of them and a lady even giving Junghwan a glare because it looks like he was trying to hurt the girl. He s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter