What Are We?

Was I Dreaming?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three days went by. It was too quick for Byul's taste, honestly, but she can't lie she already misses everything back at Seoul. She misses her Wheein and Hwasa. She misses her school, although maybe in the slightest. She misses her home, her own personal bed in the middle of the room. And above all that, she misses one certain girl that she knows she shouldn't have been thinking during her stay in Jeonju.

But what can she do when her heart tells her to keep thinking about Kim Yongsun?

She sighed deeply. Yongsun will be really mad at her.

"Should I turn it on? Nah." Byul shook her head and slides the phone back into her pocket.

She misses Seoul, but she really enjoyed her time at Jeonju. That place never failed to give her the perfect relaxation from everything hectic at Seoul. Plus, it's been a while since the last time she visited her grandmother. A smile came up to her lips when she remembered how happy her grandmother looked when she saw Moon Byul. Byul has always been her grandmother's favourite and her visit this time surely makes her grandmother more than happy. She chuckled. Her grandmother cooked her so many of her favourite meals for three days straight and Byul had to eat all of it.

"I need to start another diet."

It was a really great feeling being taken care of by her grandmother. It really has been a while now.

She told her grandmother about Yongsun. About how she's feeling when Yongsun is around. About how Yongsun acts around her. About how Yongsun is very popular at school. About how close they are as bestfriends. About how childish Yongsun can be. Even about her feelings for Yongsun. She may not blatantly tell her grandmother that she likes Yongsun, but she knew her grandmother knows. Byul isn't that hard to read when you're close to her and her grandmother is the closest someone for Byul. Byul won't even tell something like this to her parents, her grandmother understands that. Byul don't want her parents to feel burdened, so she always kept it away from them.

She was just glad her grandmother would always listen to her and not judge anything about her. She knew everybody - well, most of people - are going to judge.

But will Yongsun judge her like most people do?

This far only Wheein and Hwasa knows about her and she's been afraid to let Yongsun knows even though she's even closer to her than to Wheein and Hwasa. Yongsun showed her that she doesn't really mind if a girl liking other girl, at their school, something like that is more common because it's an all-girls school. Also, adds the fact that most famous girl/boy groups are starting to lean more to such fanservices. So, is it okay now to let Yongsun know? Just to be save because Byul knows how the older girl could be if she ever hides something from her.

Yeah, right, talking about hiding something reminded her of the whole "running away" thing.

"I'm so dead...aren't I?"

The bus ride seems too fast. Byul found herself getting off the bus, she's glad that she's not bringing too many stuff for the trip. It was 9PM and she wants to hit her bed as soon as possible, tomorrow is monday and she needs to go to school so resting is the first coming into her mind - well, that and the rage of Kim Yongsun once the president see her face. There is no skipping school in her book as much as there is no escaping the president.

Byul pulled out her cellphone, but she stopped and sliding it back into her pocket again.

"No, I'm not ready to see her text messages. She'll probably try to call me the moment I turn it on."

And so, she walks from the bus stop to her house. The street is so empty she's starting to pray to all the gods exist that she will reach her house without bumping into weird people. She knows there's a few times she spotted drunken guys wandering around the street, probably trying to head home with everything they have left. Sure, Byul can handle the situation with what she learnt as self-defense, it comes in very handy, but Byul really don't want to waste more energy on that. She's exhausted enough walking from the station.

Feeling slightly grateful, Byul saw the path to her house, just a bit more walk and she'll be home.

The thought of sleeping on her comfortable bed somehow gave her more strength in taking faster steps towards her house.

"Wait, what...?" She whispered to herself, her eyes were looking at the direction of her house.

She's now five feet away. A frown made its way to her face and stays there.

She stopped walking.

"No, I've made sure I turned it off before I left."

Yes, Byul made sure she turned off all the electricity at her house before leaving. She also didn't forget to lock her doors, every each of them. But what she's seeing before her eyes was her house, running its electricity even though the lights were off, the television was on and she could faintly hear it from where she stands.

Someone is inside her house. But who? A thief?

What, they decided to rob Byul's house and since they don't know when she'll be back, they decided to just 'chill' at Byul's house?

That's just plain stupid. If that were true, then Byul must prepare herself. No, there'll be no mercy indeed.

No, she wasn't going to call the police either, she wanted to rest as soon as possible.

She bends her knees and took another step, slow and more carefully this time, she didn't want to barge in like a mindless hero. Going stealth is trickier but it's very useful when you're against two or more people in a critical situation or in this case Byul is just preparing herself since she had no idea how many of them. Probably only two. Those action movies surely giving her good influences, maybe she should watch more of it. She shook her head lightly, trying to focus more on sneaking inside her house without getting caught. Byul avoided the front door, she's going to use the side door, she has her keys though so it's practically easy.

She thanked god the television was loud enough that the culprit couldn't hear Byul unlocking the door. Obviously, the culprit also didn't hear the door creaking open.

Byul stays low, she's now hiding behind her kitchen counter. She opens one of the drawers and manage to take a knife. Self-defense, alright.

Good. This will be enough to threaten them, right?

She nodded affirmatively before crouching a little further but she stops abruptly when she heard footsteps coming closer to the counter. She hurriedly moved backwards, almost trip and fall on her in the process.

! Okay, prepare for a surprise attack, Byul!

The footsteps are getting clearer. Byul waits until it was close enough for her to do the attack.

And she finally did it.

She stood up right when the culprit making a turn behind the counter, swiftly grabbing the culprit's wrist and shoulder, spinning the culprit while pulling the culprit's arms behind. She locked the culprit's wrists under her strong grip, pinning the culprit against the counter while her other hand is holding the knife, threatening the culprit by putting it against the culprit's neck.

"Stop struggling or I'll slice your throat."

Byul was almost surprised she manage to say such thing. Maybe she was trying to stay calm so the culprit can't threaten her. Byul needs to take control. But she was more surprised to the fact that the culprit is a girl. She knew it when she heard the culprit's sudden yelp. Somehow something clicked. What is this? Is someone pranking Byul? Is this someone she knew after all? What the heck.

The yelp sounded familiar.

The figure looked familiar.

The scent...

"B, Byul...?"

Oh.

It was Kim Yongsun.

How could she be here? Good question. Easy. Byul told Yongsun where she hide her spare key.

"U, unnie...?!" She quickly releases her grip from her senior's wrists, stepping back in defense because she could practically feel the angry aura radiating off of Yongsun. The girl will kill her. This will be the end of Moon Byulyi, isn't it? "I, I'm sorry, unnie, I thought you're some thief trying to break into my house. I mean, I saw the TV is on and there supposed to be no o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter