[Part V]

Let's not Fall in Love

“Sir-I mean, Jiyong” Namgook quickly corrects himself “Miss Park is here” he announces and my face lights up at the mention of her name, which doesn’t go unnoticed by Namgook.

“Yes, let her in” he nods, pretending not to notice my wide smile, and soon Dara comes in with light steps, examining my office as if she’s never been in it before.

My heart suddenly falters at her sight. She looks so..out of this world, and it’s weird, because she’s not doing anything special, she’s just being herself, casually walking towards my desk with her simple attire and silky ebony hair but that’s already enough to drive me insane.

“I know I’ve been here before, but how come I’ve never noticed how huge this place is?” she sits comfortably on the chair opposite mine and I smile. I don’t know what my smiles stand for anymore, I just know they all revolve around Dara. Anything, even a simple meaningless word from her makes me smile.

“You were thinking of me that time, so obviously you weren’t aware of your surroundings” she raises an eyebrow at my bold statement and shakes her head

“don’t think too highly of yourself Ji, you’re not that worth it”

Ji. She called me Ji. Not Jiyong, but Ji. Why is my heart fluttering over it? It’s just a silly nickname, but, coming from her, it means a lot.

I try not to smile too widely but that’s just impossible, I mean, she called me Ji.

“You’re smiling too much don’t you think?” she asks rhetorically with a flash of playfulness in her eyes that makes me feel warm inside.

“well, you’re here, so that pretty much explains why” I spout casually, surprising myself with what I just said. Did I just flirt with her? I look at her cautiously, but she’s simply shaking her head with a mysterious smile on her face.

“anyway, why did you call me so early, aren’t we meeting this evening?” I smile at her question and bring out the large box lying next to my feet on the ground. I hand it to her and she takes it warily, bewilderment written all over her face. She shakes the heavy box gently, trying to guess what’s inside.

With hesitance, she unwraps the red ribbon and inhales loudly once she opens it and sees what’s inside

“Oh my god Jiyong, w-what what is this? Is..is this..is this for me?” she touches the rough fabric of the dress, a startled look on her face. She’s blinking rapidly, her jaw hanging low from the shock, and I somehow find her reaction cute.

“Ji..this..this is too much. I can’t accept this, I can’t” her eyes depict fear this time and it sets an uneasy feeling in me. Is she scared? Why is she scared?

“Dara, calm down” I get up and move towards her, kneeling in front of her. “it’s just a simple gift to show my gratitude to you. You’ve inspired me Dara, I came to find myself again, thanks to you, so please, don’t say it’s too much” I hold her soft hand and squeeze it in a reassuring way. She stares at me with an unreadable expression, and I catch a glimpse of tears in her eyes but she easily makes them disappear and puts her other hand on top of mine, finally cracking a smile.

“thank you Ji” her voice comes out as a shaky whisper but it still manages to make my heart leap.

“But I still don’t understand, why did you buy me two dresses?” I smile knowingly at her question and point at the long white dress “that dress is the real gift” I let go of her hand and grab the red dress, unfolding it so she can see it. She gasps in awe, covering with her hand “but this one is your dress to tonight”

“tonight?” I nod and fold the dress back.

“You’ll be my date to Minjae’s weeding ceremony, he told me it’s fine to bring a date and I thought of you so..” I rub the nape of my neck awkwardly “d-do you want to be my date?” I feel hot, my cheeks are flaming red and the deadly silence is killing me.

I see her get up and stand next to me, then, out of nowhere, she interlaces our arms, resting her hand on top of my biceps, the sudden touch sending electricity down my spine.

We turn our head simultaneously and our gazes meet.

“I’ll be glad to” she smiles, a light blush covering her cheeks, and I somehow feel proud. I made her blush, that has got to mean something, right?

She lets go of my arm and hurriedly collects the dresses

“I need to go, I have to prepare myself, god, I haven’t washed my hair in three days, it’s so tangled” she runs a hand through her hair to prove her point.

‘You look beautiful just the way you are now’ I wanted to say, but as to not further embarrass myself, I bid her goodbye with a simple wave.

“I’ll pick you up at 7” I say and she nods

“Alright, see you tonight”

Namgook enters soon after, trying his best not to grin, but he fails miserably and we start laughing together

“Is it obvious?” I ask as he approaches and in an amicable way, he puts his hand on top of my shoulder

“Very much” he replies. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen you smile jovially Jiyong, I’m glad you’ve found her”

“I know, I’m glad she’s found me too”

 

The morning passes by extra slow. I had already transmitted my illustrations to Minjae last night and thankfully, he was pleased with the outcome. He especially praised the graphic that Dara loved the most which made even happier somehow.

I pay a quick visit to my condo to pick a suitable suit. I stare at the diverse collection with wide eyes, unable to make a decision. I’m surprised at the humongous amount of tuxes I have, some are still new, while the majority looks worn out.

In the end I pick the navy blue suit, since it’s my favorite color, and resume getting ready.

It only takes me half an hour before I’m all set, I check the time, and it’s almost 7 pm coincidently; I receive a text from Dara

‘I’m in the apartment’ it reads. I narrow my eyebrows in confusion. What is she doing there?

I immediately pick my car keys from the counter and rush towards the door.

I arrive to the complex shortly after, and run up to the apartment, but the moment I open the door ,I stay firm in my place, utterly powerless to even stand up as I’m staring at the most breathtaking beautiful girl I’ve ever seen. She lifts her gaze, ever so gracefully, and flashes me a serene smile that sets me floating on cloud nine. I’m speechless; I’m even speechless at my speechlessness. When was the last time I got so infatuated by a girl?

Never.

She’s my first. Dara’s my first and it’ll be the greatest honor to be her first too.

Still awestruck by her ravishing beauty, she walks slowly towards me, each step of hers taking my breath away. It’s so intense, this attraction I feel for her, that I’m starting to doubt if it’s something even more, something I’m still reluctant to admit, but is vividly present.

“navy blue, huh? Interesting choice Ji, it looks good on you” she smoothens my collar and adjusts my neck tie, but that only gives me more time to gape at her beauty up close.

Our eyes meet for a split second, but she doesn’t say anything and that’s when I regain my senses back.

“Let’s go” I say as I smile and she nods, trailing beside me.

On the way to the wedding hall, I notice the nervous yet adorable expression she’s wearing, and poke her temple to gain her attention

“What are you thinking about? You look uncomfortable” she flashes me a reassuring smile that I can easily see through

“I’m fine Ji, don’t worry”

“Dara, you’re not fooling me with that smile, I know you’re bothered by something, what is it?” I steal a quick glance at her and could swear that I see a gleam of tears at the corner of her eyes. She inhales loudly and clasps her hands together.

“It’s just, weddings make me feel suffocated” she clenches her dress unconsciously but instantly lets go of it and heaves a sigh “I..I want to get married; it’s been my dream for years now. I want to share my life with a man I love, and have a kid or two, and that kid would drive us crazy, he would throw tantrums, cry all night, and would always dirty his clothes, but I’ll still love him and tuck him into bed at night and even sing a lullaby although I’m very bad at singing” she shakes her head amusingly at her ridiculousness but soon she frowns and looks at me.

“But I can’t, that’s why I can’t bear to see other people living my dream, it’s just..” she grows quiet, unable to formulate another word.

She looks so vulnerable, so feeble, so small and I wonder if that’s the explanation behind the heavy weight in my heart. Her sight is so heartbreaking that I’m tempted to lift my hands from the steering wheel and hug her until her pains and sorrows fade away, and if they don’t, then I’ll gladly take them. I’m a broken man anyway; a few knock-downs from life won’t affect me the least bit, it doesn’t matter. As long as she’s wearing that tranquil smile, I’ll be fine.

The rest of the drive remains quiet, with Dara leaning her head tiredly on the window and me gripping tightly the steering wheel from too much agony.

I park the car nearby as we reach our destination. I look to my side at Dara to check on her, but her sight is getting worse and worse. She looks visibly in pain, and I immediately regret bringing her with me.

“Dara, if you’re not feeling well, we can leave, I’ll inform Minjae and-”

“no Ji” she cuts me off “don’t. I’ll be fine, just..” she grips my arm tightly and gives me a comforting yet tight smile “Just stay by my side, and I’ll be fine”

I smile at her words and hold on tight to her hand,

“I will, promise”

And so, we walk together, with Dara clinging onto my arm, to the grand wedding hall.

The entrance hall gives off a museum feel with all the paintings and photos hanging on it. We take our time to study each photo of the couple .Some date back to their first meeting, when they were still strangers to each other, and it’s funny how fate miraculously brought two unknown people and set them up for the ride of their life. Both couldn’t predict what will happen and were scared of how this relationship initiation will go, but they took the risk and stomped on their cowardly personas and look where that led them.

Both Dara and I smile once we reach a certain painting

“I knew it would be here!” she exclaims “I think this is my favorite work of yours, as of now, it’s s just so beautiful” she leans on me with a gentle smile on her face and I seize the moment to put my arm around her and stare at her fondly, despite my palpitating heart.

“It is. I gave it a name actually” I say and she hums

“and what could it be?” she peers at me curiously and I smile, not breaking eye contact

“ ‘You & I’ ” I utter as I gaze lovingly at her. She looks taken aback but manages to retain her usual poise quickly.

“Come on, I bet they’re waiting for us” she pulls me by the hand and my heart suddenly falls.

Why? Why is she so keen on keeping me away from her? She shrugs off every possible attempt and it’s driving me crazy. It’s like I’m her little bobby doll, She pulls the strings however she likes, but I know, and I know that she knows too, that something’s stopping her from taking the next step. Something is eating her up and she’s not willing to share it with anyone, so she’s hurting herself instead, in hopes of veiling the truth from her beloved ones. But that’s not how it works Dara, it just makes everyone worried.

It makes me worried and anxious. What exactly are you hiding?

We go into the already crowded church and take our seats near the back. I catch a glimpse at Miss Dami and nod at her, she does the same and smiles. I glance at the very front and catch sight of Minjae. I wave at him and he waves back feverishly. Not a moment too soon, Chihiro comes in, escorted by her father, wearing a stunning strapless creamy white dress that made everyone in the room gasp, except for Miss Dami who was in charge of designing Chihiro’s dress, and I must say, she did phenomenally well.

The moment her father lets go, Minjae jumps in to catch Chihiro’s hand with a dreamy smile on his face. I chuckle at his enthusiasm as I remember the memories we’ve shared together this past year. We didn’t have an intimate friendship, but we certainly were not just business partners. Him, Chihiro and Miss Dami were one of the very few people I was comfortable with, maybe because they loved their occupation as much as I loved mine, but unlike me, they kept that passion going on, and never once lost it and I think it’s all thanks to the people who stood beside them throughout their ride. Chihiro and Minjae had each other, Miss Dami had her husband and her daughters with her, but I stood alone, and that loneliness shredded me inside, until I grew insecure about my graphics. Then came Dara, with her ferocious blunt words and I think that was the first time I’ve met an honest person like her. She was quick to judge and critic in a reasonable manner and had arguments to back it up; unlike the blind hate I receive online.

Hadn’t Dara appeared in my life, I would’ve lost this battle against myself, I would’ve lost myself, or worst, I would’ve given up.

I turn to my right and watch as Dara fans herself drastically, seemingly emotional from the exchange of vows, but I couldn’t care less about that; I couldn’t care less about anyone in this room; Dara, is the only one I see. She’s the only one my heart chooses to see.

I can’t hear people clapping, I can’t hear the playful whistles, I can’t hear the cheering, I can only hear the sound of Dara shedding tears, sniffing, hiccupping, and that can only confirm one thing I’ve been doubtful about it all the time even though the answer was crystal clear:

I love Dara.

The realization doesn’t stagger me the least bit; in fact, it incites my feelings even more.

I repeat the words over and over in my head until I hear a soft whimper near me, and I know it’s Dara. With an unexpected courage, I pull her into my arms and hold her tight, resting my chin on her shoulder. Without hesitation, she tugs at my white shirt and buries her face into the crook of my neck.

“Do you want to get out of here?” I whisper in her ear. She pulls back gently and stares confusedly at me.

“We can’t Ji” she says frightfully and I hold her hand tight in response.

“We can Dara, we can do so many things together. We can feed the pigeons at the park, we can listen to the rustle of leaves in the wind, we can go all the way to another country and be who we want to be. We’re infinite Dara, we go beyond the world, please, don’t push me away Dara..” I beg weakly as I stare pleadingly into her gleaming eyes, searching for a definite answer.

“I..I’m scared Ji” she mutters huskily, fresh new tears falling down from her eyes , but I wipe them quickly and her cheeks with my thumbs.

“We’ll be fine Dara. You and I will be just fine” I smile reassuringly, even though I’m trembling in fear of rejection, and bring her face closer to mine until our lips are inches apart.

“I love you Dara” she gasps at my confession

“I told you not to fall in love with me” she whispers weakly and I shake my head

“You said let’s not fall in love, I’ve only broken half of the promise, the other half rests upon you. What do you say?” the tips of our noses are touching, I can hear every breath she takes vividly.

“I don’t want to hurt you Ji..”

“Your rejection is what’s hurting me Dara. You can’t deny this attraction between us anymore. I’ve never loved someone before in my life until I met you and I’m not willing to give up on this love, just please Dara.. give ‘us’ a chance” I plead in desperation, my voice cracking in the process. She inhales loudly and holds my hands that are cupping her face.

“You’re one hell of a persuasive person Ji” she chuckles while sniffing and I smile ecstatically. “Tonight, I’m all yours” she closes her eyes tightly and I immediately lean down to kiss her, pouring all my heartfelt feelings for her into this one kiss. the first time that we met, the tour around the gallery, late night meetings in my apartment, every single memory with her is flashing through my mind, as I deepen the kiss. Our lips part for a split second and I hear her whisper “take me out of here” and I needn’t to be told twice to do it. I hold her hand and we both leave the room, mindless of people’s stares, mindless of everyone in that room, because there’s only Dara in my world.

And it feels so right.

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

A.N: heyooo lovelies, It's been sooooooooo freaking long and I'm so so sorry for the late update, and thank you for staying patient. I have a 4 hours exam tomorrow but I chose to update so as to not make you wait any longer. once again, I'm so sorry! ><)

Thank you @cecepark for your patience and I hope you enjoy this chapter, even though I wrote it quickly and it's probably messy T.T I'm sorry if I disappointed you

I've reread the chapter twice but if you notice any grammar/typo mistakes, please notify me. 

Also, a big Thank you to all the lovely people who subscribed to this story! I hope you enjoy it ^^

Btw, Dara looks so beautiful in that red dress <3