The Bright Lights

Emergency Doctors

Hye Jung smiled as she walked into Ji Hong's hospital room. She hasn't been able to visit him since she did a double night shift in the last two days. Settling down on the small space that was on the bed, she laid down next to him. With her eyes closed, she wrapped her arms around him - gently and softly so she wouldn't hurt him. She exhaled deeply as she rest. After a few minutes, she opened her eyes and looked blankly at the ceiling. "You know what I saw the other day?" She interlocked her fingers with his, staring at how big his hand is compared to hers. "A toy claw machine." Hye Jung laughed. "It was just randomly there, at an old antique shop. Honestly? It's a lot better than yours." She waited to her a laugh or a crack of a smile from him - it's something he would've done when she tried to be a smartass. Silence. She exhaled and looked at the engagment ring around her finger. It's all she has right now. She looked down at her necklace that has Ji Hong's engagement, it has been around her neck since his accident. Wedding rings, she never got to exchange wedding rings with him. Ji Hong insisted on wanting her to wait until the big day where he would reveal the wedding rings. She had told him tha she wanted nothing special and she just wanted to be called his wife.

And that still hasn't happened.

"Hye Jung..." she adverted her gaze away from her engagement ring, she turned her attention over to the door. Kim Soo Chul stood there with a box of fried chicken and beer in his hands. "Hungry?"

She smiled and got up from the bed, she wrapped her cardigan around her as she walked over to the corner of the room. She curled herself onto the couch as she took a piece of chicken wing. "Thanks for getting food."

"I didn't," Soo Chul admitted. "Soon Hee ordered it at her shop, called me to bring it for you. She didn't want you to be alone for your day off."

"Thanks for the worry but my day off is tomorrow."

Soo Chul nodded his head. "That's why she bought beer."

Hye Jung cracked a small smile. "I miss her..."

"So why aren't you visiting her? Or that other one?" Soo Chul questioned. "You're purposely avoiding them."

"No, I'm not." Hye Jung chugged down a whole can of beer before opening a new one. "I've been busy."

Soo Chul sighed. "They know that you're busy but they just think it's because you're buring yourself into work. We both know that it's not true." He narrowed his eyes at her. "How's the gangster boss doing with that list?"

"Gong Byung Doo." Hye Jung corrected him. "And somewhat." She shrugged her shoulders as she took another chicken. "He said that he has his own system with his boys. I can't interfere with it. From what I know, he has only eliminated two or three people so far."

"That's good." Soo Chul said.

"Out of 119 people?" Hye Jung asked.

Soo Chul's eyes widened. "Damn, that's how many hospital staff owns a black sedan?!"

"Tell me about it."

His eyes wandered over to Ji Hong. "You know, I haven't met him a lot but it feels weird."

"What's weird about it?"

"To see him not talking or cracking a joke..." Soo Chul recalled back to when Ji Hong made a visit in the ICU. "He's a good man."

Hye Jung looked at Ji Hong. "He is....but he sure does sleep a lot."

. . .

Yoon Do looked at his uncle and In Joo as they sit at the dinner table in his house. "I can't do it. It's doctor and patient's confidentiality."

"We understand." Pa Ran said. He ran his hand through his hair out of frustration. "I should be the one that's mad here. I barely found out a few days ago." He glared over at In Joo before he looked over at his nephew. "I don't know if you both forgot that I happen to be his best friend too. Or maybe you both thought that I am always busy playing around but I care for him. Knowing about this condition of his, it's heartbreaking. In Joo and I both know and have lived with that man before. He lives off his surgeries, he loves doing it so much. It's in his genes."

"Pa Ran..." In Joo tried to stop him from getting too emotional.

"No!" Pa Ran said aloud. "Listen," He exhaled deeply before sliding the name card to Yoon Do. "In Joo's friend has very limited time in the States, doctors are busy. She called us and said that she can fly Ji Hong over to the states and get him tested on the eyes. Try and see what she can do."

Yoon Do sighed. "If we do this, we're going to have to tell the truth to Hye Jung-ssi."

"We know." In Joo said softly.

"It's going to break her even more, don't you see her nowadays?" Yoon Do asked. "She doesn't talk to anyone at work anymore not even Kang Soo. We tell her this, it's going to kill her."

In Joo sighed. "It's been almost two months now since Ji Hong's in a coma. This situation is a now or never."

"If you guys want to tell her so badly, why can't you two do it?" Yoon Do suggested.

"We would," In Joo said. "But we're not Ji Hong's primary doctor, you are."

Yoon Do let out a scoff. "Don't lie. You both just don't want to feel Hye Jung's wrath."

. . .

Byung Doo walked into the room with a few of his guys behind him. "We got something."

Hye Jung fixed the blanket on Ji Hong before turning around toward the men. "What is it?" She watched as Byung Doo snapped his fingers and one of his guys handing him a piece of a paper. "This could be just a possibility."

"How?" Hye Jung asked, taking the paper. She looked at the photo of the person - it's someone in the hospital that she doesn't know at all. Kim Ryeo Won, a staff member for the general unit. "What's the difference between this guy and the others so far?"

"Well, for one - I'm not done with the list yet. He's just a possibility like I said." Byung Doo showed Hye Jung another piece of paper. "He sent his car to a dealership two days after your dad's accident. The damages are unclear but look at this," Byung Doo pointed over to the dates. "And then oddly he sends it back to get it fix the same day when your boyfriend gets hit?"

Hye Jung scoffed at the obvious nature of this situation. "It has to be him."

Byung Doo cleared his throat. "Look, I was debating if I should show this to you or not. I wanted to find more possibilities before you jump into conclusions..."

"What do you mean? It has to be him! It lines up with everything!"

He sighed. "You're not thinking rationally."

Hye Jung narrowed her eyes at him. "I will decide if I am thinking anything rationally, okay?" She folded the paper before slipping it into her jean pockets. "I have to go home and shower. Today's my day off, this is my chance."

"Miss Yoo, I really don't think...." Before Byung Doo could finish speaking, Hye Jung walked out of the door.

. . .

Seo Woo and Young Gook held hands as they sat on the bench, they only have an hour lunch break. Might as well spend it near the hospital and waste useless time on searchign for a place to eat. She leaned her head against Young Gook's shoulder as she bit into her sandwich. "What do you want to do tonight?"

"Dinner at the usual?"

"Soon Hee's?" Seo Woo asked. "I think it's best if we stay away from her while she and Ahn Joong Dae are in the same room." The memory of watching those two cudddle and feeding each other is still very fresh in her mind. "How about I cook for you tonight?"

"Cook?" Young Gook smiled. "You can cook?"

"Hey! I'm full of surprises." Seo Woo laughed along with him, her eyes adverted over to Hye Jung. She was running and heading toward the hospital's parking garage. "Hye Jung!" It was already too late. Seo Woo frowned and looked at her boyfriend. "You know, ever since she left the house - she hasn't even bothered to talk to me or Soon Hee. The only words I can get from her is medical information on patients we're exchanging."

Young Gook shrugged his shoulders. "Didn't you say that she is the type of person that tends to handle things on her own? Maybe we should just give her time. A lot has been happening to her. I mean, she was meant to be happy for once but it was taken from her with this one accident." He smiled as he opened a can of soda for Seo Woo. "Let's wait it out and see what happens."

. . .

Hye Jung walked along the rows of cars that were in the garage. She knows that the general surgery department has their own section on the third floor. The sound of her heels echoing made it a lot easier for her to listen to any other sounds. It's lunch break time, most of the cars are gone right now - this is the perfect timing. Her footsteps halted as soon as she noticed the black sedan on the left side. Narrowing her eyes, she walked over - taking a look at the front rear. There is clearly a new paint over the old paint.

"Can I help you?" Hye Jung turned around toward the voice. "Doctor Yoo?" Kim Ryeo Won smiled as he held out his hand for a handshake. "It's nice to finally meet you."

"Yeah, lovely." She shook hands with the man. "I've been meaning to meet you, Doctor Kim."

Kim Ryeo Won arched an eyebrow. "Oh? Why is that?"

Hye Jung gives him a small smile, something to not make him suspicious. "I'm on good terms with Doctor Jung Pa Ran and - "

"Doctor Jo In Joo." Ryeo Won smiled. "Yes, I know. They've helped you a lot during your....tough time."

Taking note of the slight pause in his words, Hye Jung decided to step in closer. "If you don't mind me asking," she narrowed her eyes. "What happened to your car here? I was walking by and saw this....looks like a bad paint job.."

Ryeo Won looked over at his car. "Accident. Pole." He smiled while fixing his collar. "By my house." He took out his keys, unlocking the car. "I heard about Doctor Hong, I apologize for what happened. He's a good man. He will - "

"He's not dead." Hye Jung interrupted him. "He's alive and well."

"Well, I may just be a general surgeron but I think I know a deep coma when I see it." Ryeo Won walked over to the driver's side. "And from what I can understand, his health has been decreasing, hasn't it?"

Hye Jung clenched onto her teeth. "He'll be fine, he's a fighter."

"We're doctors." Ryeo Won chuckled as he threw his briefcase and jacket onto the passenger seat. "You should know that the chances for Doctor Hong's case is more than likely to not happen."

"You don't seem that optimistic for your career." Hye Jung stated.

"Well, I'm speaking reality." Ryeo Won crossed his arms and sighed. "I may not know you but I do know your reputation. Everyone in the hospital knows about how you digged into the ex Director Jin. So, I apologize that I may be a little antsy here but why are you really here?"

Hye Jung nodded her head, he's getting straight to the point. Good, this is just like how she likes it. "Where were you on July 18th at 3AM?"

"Home."

"Oh? How about September 24th? Ten in the morning?"

"Ten in the morning?" Ryeo Won smiled. "I believe I was on my shift here." Closing the driver side door, he made his way over to Hye Jung and smirked. "What is the problem here? Why are you asking me about these dates?"

Hye Jung looked at the short distance between them. "Why don't you tell me?"

Ryeo Won tilted his head in an almost taunting expression. His hand lift up and slightly touch her cheek. "Correct me if I am wrong but isn't your parking garage on the fifth level?" His hand slowly went down and touch her neck.

"Doctor Kim..." Hye Jung said softly before scoffing. Without a hesitation, she twisted his arm around and threw him onto his car. With her other free hand, she squeeze and put pressure onto the back of his neck. Leaning closer to his ear, "You know what I think? You drive straight into my father that day. Leaving him behind so he could die slowly and bleed out. And what about Hong Ji hong? You ran him over on the day of my wedding?" She added even more pressure on him causing him to scream out in pain. "What is it that you want?!"

"What are you talking about?!" Kim Ryeo Won screamed through the pain. "I don't know what you're talking about!"

"Stop lying!" Hye Jung yelled. "Why are you targeting those who are in my life?! What's your problem??!"

Ryeo Won groaned. "What's your problem!!"

"Yoo Hye Jung!" Byung Doo and his men rushed over, pulling her away from the doctor. "Stop it!"

Hye Jung screamed as she was held in the air by Byung Doo, his height making it difficult for her to kick him. "Let go of me! It's him! He's the one! He ran over Teacher Hong!"

Byung Doo slammed her against the wall, his eyes widened. "Stop! He's not the one!"

"What....what are you talking about?" Hye Jung exhaled deeply as she looked between Byung Doo and Ryeo Won. "He is! Did you see what he was doing?! He was touching me as if he could! He has to be the one!"

"No, he's just a damn ert!" Byung Doo screamed. He lets go of Hye Jung and threw a paper at her. "He was arrested for public intoxication on the night your dad was hit."

Hye Jung scanned the paper in confusion. "What..what?"

Ryeo Won fixed his shirt and pointed his finger at her. "I want her arrested and sued!"

Byung Doo sighed and made his way over to the doctor. Making use of his height as an advantage, he glared at the man. "Are you sure about that, Doc? I mean, me and my boys just saw you touch her inappropariately. She had the right to defend herself, you know." Byung Doo smiled as he kindly helped the collar of the man's shirt. "So, what do you want to do?"

. . .

"Are you crazy?" Soo Chul asked as soon as he sat down and looked at Hye Jung. "We're not high school teenagers who rebel anymore."

"I think I know that." Hye Jung muttered. It's been an hour since she left the parking garage. Luckily, Byung Doo scared Ryeo Won into not suing or pressing charges for what she did.

Soo Chul sighed. "Gangster Boss said that it was a possibility. Why don't you ever listen to anyone? He had to do more research but you ran off and handled it yourself?"

Hye Jung looked at him. "What am I supposed to do? Look at him!" She pointed at Ji Hong. "It's been almost two months since he's been laying there! He lost half the weight he used to be, he's pale! And he's going to die soon!"

"What happened to being optimistic?" Soo Chul asked. "You can't think like that."

"Well, it's hard not to when I know it's true from my standpoint as a professional doctor."

Soo Chul runs his hand through his hand out of frustration. "You need to end this investigating right now. If we hand the case over to the cops, they will see the connection and just maybe they can work on it instead of you?"

"No." Hye Jung insisted. "They're not going to do it the right way."

"Right way? You mean, attack and slam someone against their car?" Soo Chul asked in an annoyed tone. "You know, I'm done trying to stick by your side if you're not going to think rationally. Is this what Teacher Hong would have want?" Not bothering on saying anything else, he walked out of the room.

. . .

Yoon Do leaned against the wall with a blank expression as he watched In Joo and Pa Ran do the regular check up on Ji Hong's body. Usually, only one doctor would check in but with the help of Director Kim Tae Ho, they got permission to do a weekly checkup. "I still don't think this is a good idea."

In Joo sighed. "We went over this, kid."

"Do you really think that it's the best idea to tell her all of this?" Yoon Do furrowed his eyebrows at the name card in his hand. "You guys know how Hye - "

Hye Jung opened the door and looked at the company in the room. "I didn't expect you to be this early for the check up." She cleared and gave Yoon Do a small smile. "I'm going to head out then."

Pa Ran pulled the blanket over Ji Hong. "Wait! My nephew has something to say to you."

"Uncle!" Yoon Do groaned. "Listen, Hye Jung. This isn't going to be easy to tell you.."

"Easy? My fiancee is lying in coma, I think I can take anything that's coming at me."

"Yeah, right." Yoon Do exhaled deeply. "I'm legally Doctor's Hong...." the sound of the machines flatlining caused everyone in the room stay frozen as they turn to face Ji Hong. "GET THE NURSES!" Yoon Do screamed immmediately as he rushed over to his side. "No...no..."

Hye Jung tore open the hospital gown, getting on top of him - she started to perform CPR. "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" The sound of flatlining from the machine carried on. Every thing happened so fast. Within minutes, she was pulled away from Ji Hong by Pa Ran. Her screaming filled the room as she watched Yoon Do charge the defibrillator onto Ji Hong's chest. "Save him!"

Pa Ran clenched onto Hye Jung tightly so he could restrain her from leaving his arms. "Stop. Yoon Do is handling it!!"

Yoon Do put down the defibrillator as soon the machine indicated that his heart is beating again. "Surgery! Get a room ready now!" The nurses and Yoon Do pushed the hospital bed out of the room leaving behind a crying Yoo Hye Jung and Jo In Joo.

. . .

The lights are dim, the wind is strong and cold and the sun is perfectly bright enough for a nice tan for those who want it. The sound of waves hitting against the sand, the sound of sea shells hitting against each other due to the pressure of the water. Hong Ji Hong stands in the middle beach, inhale and exhaling the fresh air with a bright smile. If this was possibly a fishing area, his father would've love the idea of fishing on a day like this. Ji Hong looked around his surroundings, no one was around. His eyes narrow over to the empty beach. Why wouldn't anyone be here at this moment? He looked down at his clothing, he's wearing his favorite regular white t-, greay sweatpants and sandals. Something he would wear while he's at home. Suddenly the sun got bigger and brighter, almost blinding him as he backed away. Oddly, he has a sense that he needs to walk into that bright light right now. He steps toward it slowly, his hand reaching out to it.

Hong Ji Hong!

His steps halted as he turned around slowly with his eyebrows knit together in confusion. Someone is calling his name. Hong Ji Hong! His eyes adverted back over to the light and over to the empty beach behind him. Hong Ji Hong!

His eyes snapped opend to see a white ceiling above him. Having trouble on breathing, he noticed he was wearing an oxygen mask. "Ji Hong-ah?" Noticing that it's Pa Ran's voice - he slightly turned his haed over to see his best friends near him. "He's awake.."

"How do you feel?" In Joo asked in a worried tone.

Ji Hong lift his hand up to take off the oxygen mask. "I'm fine.." His eyes roamed around, he smiled as he saw everyone in the room. Seo Woo, In Joo, Pa Ran, Yoon Do, and even Director Kim Tae Ho. "Where's..." he groaned from the pain he's feeling. "Where's Hye Jung..."

Yoon Do checked the IV bags and slightly smiled. "You're a survivor. You were out in a coma for..." he paused and looked at everyone else in the room. "Four months."

"Four months?" Ji Hong repeated. He closed his eyes briefly and exhaled, he could feel an incredibly horrible pain from his lungs. "Well, fill me in what I miss about work." He gives his best genrous smile while breathing heavily.

"You need to wear the oxygen mask, Ji Hong." Tae Ho demanded as he nodded over to Yoon Do to put back on for him.

"Where's Hye Jung?" Ji Hong asked again. He turned his head away from the mask. "I'll wear it later. Where's Hye Jung?"

Everyone in the room silent, their smiles gone. "Ji Hong..." In Joo smiled as she took his hand. "Two months ago, you had a cardiac arrest. You practically died for fifty seconds in this room before Yoon Do got your heart beating back and did surgery on you." She cleared as she blinked back a few tears. "It was a long surgery.....your life was at stake. When you surived it, we had hoped you would wake up right away but you were still in coma for a total of four months."

"I said tell me the details about me or work later," Ji Hong looked at her. "Where is she?"

"The thing is that during the two months that went by, Hye Jung lost it.."

Ji Hong knit his eyebrows. "Lost it? What do you mean?"

Tae Ho stepped up. "She was very presistent on finding the culprit that ran you over after witnessing you being dead for those seconds. Within a week, she turned in her paperwork for resignation. And the last thing we heard was that..."

"Was what?"

"She's in jail, Teacher Hong." Seo Woo said. "She's been in there for a month now, waiting for trial to start. She....attacked someone. They have bruises and cuts while she was free of those. We believe that she found the person who hit her dad and you, took it upon herself to handle the situation."

Ji Hong laid here, his eyes looking at every single person's expressions. "You're lying...."

"We're not." Yoon Do said quietly. "Right now, she has to be your last thing in mind."

"What? What are you talking about? I have to go see her." Ji Hong insisted.

"Actually - " Pa Ran sighed. "It's physically impossible for you to do so. Since you're up, we're flying you to the states right away."

Ji Hong could laugh he can. "States? Do you really think," he started coughing, grabbing hold of the oxygen mask. "I won't fly anywhere until I see her."

"She signed the consent form to me," Yoon Do said. "I'm your legal guardian right now. And I don't think it's best if you see her right now."

"Because she said she doesn't want to see you anymore." In Joo continued. Taking out two engagement rings from her pockers, she placed them in Ji Hong's hand. "She found out about your eyes and couldn't stand that you......or us would hide something like that from her." She sighed. "Regardless of what she thinks or what she did, it's her decision. What's more important is for you to fly out to the states and fix your eyes before they worsen."

Ji Hong stared at the rings with an emotionless expression. She returned the ring, both his and hers. "I...." He doesn't know what to say, there is practically nothing to be said. Finding it hard to breath, he covered the mask over his face and looked at everyone. The people that he cares and loves is in this room with the exception of one person.

. . .

One Year Later.

Ji Hong stepped out of the airport gates, taking off his sunglasses after a long flight from the states to South Korea. He has been residing in Los Angeles for recovery for a year now. He smiled as he looked around his surroundings, everything is so clear and nice. It's been a tough road but he's finally back. Taking the luggage with him, he smiled once he saw Pa Ran rushing over. "Hey.."

"It's been too long." Pa Ran held onto Ji Hong's face. "Look at you! Your eyes look great!"

"Yeah, thanks to you and In Joo."

Pa Ran chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. "It's what I do best."

"I said, In Joo too." Ji Hong laughed.

"Yeah, I know." Pa Ran put his arm around Ji Hong's shoulders. "Have you gotten through with the board? Did they decide to let you come back and do surgeries?"

"They have to wait, there's protocol to be done. Tae Ho will call me once I can be reinstated for work." Ji Hong sighed. "I think they're just worried about the after effects of my vision."

"You got better, that's what matters. Do you have baggage claim?"

"Yeah. Just one." They stop in front of the baggage claim as they wait for the luggages to arrive. "Let's just get it and head out to eat. Airplane food is exactly not - " he stopped talking when he noticed a familar face walking on the other side of the airport. With her long wavy hair, round brown eyes - he could tell it was Yoo Hye Jung right away.

Hye Jung stopped walking once she saw Ji Hong, their eyes connected as they stood far apart.

Pa Ran turned around at where Ji Hong was looking, his eyes widened to see Hye Jung standing there. "Oh...Yoo..." he stopped when a man, carrying two suitcases appeared from behind her, wrapping his arm around her wait. "Oh no..." Pa Ran said.

"Come on, let's go." Hye Jung smiled softly at the man next to her.

Ji Hong and Pa Ran stood there as they watched Hye Jung and the stranger walk away together in an almost cuddle way. "Are you going to be okay?" Pa Ran asked, worried for his best friend.

"Why wouldn't I be okay?" Ji Hong asked back. Grabbing the luggage that arrived from the baggage claim, he smiled and shrugged his shoulders. "She and I were over a long time ago, weren't we?" He sighed. "Let's go."

Pa Ran exhaled as he watched Ji Hong walking at a different direction from Hye Jung. "Well, this doesn't look pretty."

. . .

 

A/N: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! It's finally here! I am so so so so sorry for the late post! I've been so busy lately that I didn't want to rush this. I tried to make it the best way possible. Thank you so much for commenting on how much you guys love this story! It's what keeps me motivated to keep writing so please keep supporting! It means a lot! I hope you like this chapter! Sorry for any mistakes!