Hard Path

Emergency Doctors

"Yoo Hye Jung! Yoo Hye Jung!" None of the screaming or gentle talking can snap her back to reality. Hye Jung sat aimlessly in the middle of the hospital as doctors, nurses, and patients rush in and out the building. Blood stained her white wedding gown, her hair that was tied neatly into bun has been dishelved, the makeup that Soon Hee has worked so hard on is merely just a big old stain on her face. Tears streak down her face as she continously blinked her eyes. It's almost like a dream - a heavy nightmare like dream. Her chest has this heavy feeling that's pounding against her, every single thud that she felt is almost like a heart attack. She didn't even feel like this when her dad was in an accident. Her hands reached over to her heart to make the sound stop but she froze and stared at her hands - wet and bloody. It was Ji Hong's blood thats on her. "Yoo Hye Jung! Yoo Hye Jung!" She shook her head, she knew that her friends, her colleagues are in front of her calling for her but she won't get up. She refuses to get up. Because once she does, she has to face reality. Merely thirty minutes ago, she was supposed to be married to someone that she loves. She was supposed to be walking down the aisle right now, looking across the room inside the church - staring at the love of her life. Instead, she is sitting in the middle of the place that she works with Hong Ji Hong's life on the brink of death.

"YOO HYE JUNG!" the screaming was a lot louder than the others, causing her to blink her eyes again and look up at Jung Yoon Do. He was still wearing his tuxedo, blood staining every part of it. His hands clenched into a fist as he bent down to be eye level with her. Handing her a clipboard, he sighed. "I need your signature. You're the only person that's closest that we can consider as his family." Flipping through the permission slip for surgery, he handed her the pen. "Sign it so we can try to save him."

Try to save him. Hye Jung's tears brimmed against her eyes as she stared at the permission slip. "What's the percentage..."

"Hye Jung..."

She looked directly at his eyes. "I need to know the percentage...."

Yoon Do closed his eyes briefly. "It's only a 25% chance for him to be alive after surgery..."

As she stared at the permission slip, her tears began to stain the paper, causing a good portion of it to be wet. "25%..." With her shaky, bloody hand - she signed the paper. Just as Yoon Do was about to stand up, she clenched onto his arm. "Save him....please save him."

Yoon Do hated to see her this broken. He breathed in and out softly before nodding his head. "He's strong..." He gave her one final pat on the hands before getting up to get the surgery started. He stopped midway and looked at Seo Woo. "She's too unstable to do the surgery. I need you in there with me."

Seo Woo nodded her head. "Of course." She took one last look at Hye Jung before walking alongside with Yoon Do, prepping for probably one of the most toughest surgeries in her career.

. . .

Soon Hee frowned and cried softly in Ahn Joong Dae's arms. "It's been more than thirty minutes since she's been like that. Why isn't she moving?"

Joong Dae wrapped his arms around Soon Hee and sighed. "She's in shock. It's what happens when people are horrified or witnessed someone they love in an accident." He pulled away and smiled softly. "You have to stay with her okay? Don't try to persuade her to move or anything. It's bad for her since she's such in shock. Just keep watching her until she moves herself." He exhaled deeply and nodded his head over to Doctor Jung, who was telling him to join the surgery. "I have to take part in Doctor Hong's surgery."

She nodded her head as she brushed her hair aside from her face, staring at her bestfriend. "Hye Jung..." she muttered softly.

Hye Jung could hear Soon Hee begging words from one side of the hospital. She knew she had to move, she knew she had to get up and be strong but there isn't an ounce in her body that can tell her that she could. All she could do was replay the moment when she heard about Ji Hong's accident. She was inside her waiting room, she was supposed to be called out once the ceremony was going to begin. Instead, Soon Hee ran into the waiting room and told her that Ji Hong has been in an accident. Next thing she knows is that she was running out of the church, screaming in horror when she saw Ji Hong laying on a pile of blood - his own blood. She rushed over to his side, clenching onto him - begging for him to say something to her but all he did was just stare. It's as if he didn't know she was there.

"Hye Jung," the sound of the familar voice interrupted her thoughts as she looked up to see her dad in front of her. "Daughter..." He bent down to help her up but it was the wrong choice to do because she pushed him away and moved slightly further.

Soon Hee rushed over and shook her head. "You have to leave her alone. She's in shock."

Hye Jung's father stared at his daughter with wide, horrified eyes. "What happened? One minute I'm resting in my room, the next I hear the nurses talking about an accident." Yoo Min Ho stared at Soon Hee. "How is Doctor Hong?"

"No one really knows. He's not responsive in anything. They're just hoping that this surgery could help."

Min Ho turned back to look at Hye Jung. "It's like she's frozen in one place."

Soon Hee sadly looked at her. "We just have to wait."

"Wait for what?"

"Until she's ready to face reality..."

. . .

Yoon Do took off his surgical mask and leaned against the wall. Sweat beads slide down his face as he just finished the five hour long surgery. It's not the toughest surgery he had to do but it was more on the tough and heartbreaking side because it was Doctor Hong. "We just wait."

Seo Woo leaned against the wall next to him. "For how long?"

"It depends on him," Yoon Do said softly. "The surgery impacted his brain stem harshly..." he paused as he thought about all the medical records and information he knows. "From a neurosurgeon's perspective, this coma could be for years.."

"Do you think..." Seo Woo exhaled. "Do you think she's going to be able to handle it?"

"She has to, it's Yoo Hye Jung we are talking about." Yoon Do replied. "Come on, we have to tell her the results."

. . .

Three Weeks Later.

Hye Jung sat next to the hospital bedside as she held onto Ji Hong. "It's been hectic lately. Doctor Jung has been taking over most of your work, Seo Woo and I are going a bit crazy trying to work with him to help out. The hospital staff is going nuts under his control. Even Kang Soo is stressed out and he's not even working here anymore." She smiled softly as she looked at his hands - those veins of his that she loves so much. "Director Kim is always asking about your status," she paused to collect her emotions once she felt as if she was about to cry even more. "I try my best to come by every two hours but sometimes I can't." She finally looked away from his hand and over to his handsome face. A tear slide down her cheek as she looked at him longer. With just the IV feeding his nutrients and water, he has been getting so pale and skinny lately. Clearing as she brought his hand over to her lips, kissing it softly as a tear drop onto his hand. "I miss you..." No response. "Please wake up, oppa. I miss you so much." More tears drop as she couldn't hold onto her emotions anymore. "I miss your sarcastic jokes, I miss your cheesy lines. I miss your arms wrapping around my waist like how I taught you. I miss everything about you." She kissed his hand one more time. "Wake up. Why aren't you waking up?" The sound of the door opening caused Hye Jung to stop crying, wiping her tears immediately away. "Oh, hey."

Seo Woo smiled gently as she brought over a new set of IV bags for Ji Hong. "It's almost time for your surgery."

Hye Jung nodded her head. "I know." She got up from the seat, breathing in deeply so she could stay sane and in check outside of this ward room. "I'll see you later."

"Yeah, I'll see you at home." Seo Woo watched as Hye Jung walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. Seo Woo fixed up the new bags of IV, she took a quick look at Ji Hong. "Teacher Hong...." she paused as she thought about what she could say to let him know that everyone in this building is waiting for him to come back. "Remember when you were my teacher in high school and you taught us about how people shouldn't live life stubbornly? That everyone will get their chance in life? At first, I believed those words and lived by those words for most of high school. And somehow, throughout life, I forgot about it. Now here you are and here I am." Seo Woo sighed. "What I am trying to say is that I'm done being stubborn and I will wait for you to wake up like the others are too. Everyone misses you." She smiled softly as she finished the IV connection. "I'll see you later."

. . .

"How do you think she's doing?" Young Gook asked Kyung Joon at the nurse station as they're on their brief break from the hectic day.

Kyung Joon sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "It's hard to say," he looked at all the paper work he has to fill out later. "You know how Doctor Yoo is. She puts a smile on her face towards us and the patients but she must be suffering so much inside."

Nurse Hyun walked over with new patient folders. "Did you hear? Joong Dae was here earlier and he said that Soon Hee-ssi is worried and frantically scared for Hye Jung."

Young Gook arched an eyebrow in confusion. "Why would Soon Hee-ssi be scared for Hye Jung?"

"It was a black car that hit our Doctor Hong, right?" Both men nodded their head in agreement. "I heard that it's the same type of car that was involve in the hit and run accident with her dad. When Hye Jung found out about that information, she has been in and out of the house for days. Soon Hee-ssi and Doctor Jin sometimes doesn't even know where she went off to. She would just arrive home in time for breakfast and work." Nurse Hyun looked around to make sure no one around could hear. "You know her high school days?"

Kyung Joon looked at her. "High school days? You mean, her gangster days?"

"Why are you bringing that up for?" Young Gook questioned.

"It seems as if Soon Hee is worried that Hye Jung has returned to those days."

Young Gook shook his head. "She wouldn't, she's not eighteen anymore. We're talking about someone who is in their thirties. It's ridiculous."

Nurse Hyun shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. Don't you find the past two weeks a bit odd? She's always in and out, leaving for a good two hours when she is available. Sometimes you would think she would go visit Doctor Hong but she doesn't." She stayed silent when Hye Jung started walking over to the nurse station. "Hello, Doctor Yoo."

Hye Jung simply looked at everyone before nodding her head as a greeting, taking a bunch of new patient files in her hands and walking away.

. . .

One Month Later.

In Joo and Pa Ran both closed the door behind them as they walked inside Ji Hong's hospital room. They both sighed heavily as they stared at their bestfriend, still in coma after a month and a half. Half of the hospital has slowly started to lose faith on him. Statistics has stated that in most cases, people who suffer a head injury from a car accident like he did, wouldn't survived. They would be in a coma for a couple months before their body start dying on their own. It seems like it is happening for Hong Ji Hong right now. As each day, each week that has passed - his complexion has gotten a lot more pale. The nice little tan skin that used to glow on his face has faltered away. He has lost so much weight that he is almost unrecogonizable.

"He's getting worse." Pa Ran said softly.

In Joo took a seat next to the bed. "The records aren't showing anything new that is sparking up. Everything is the same but lessen." As general surgerons, both In Joo and Pa Ran has tried their best to find ways to have Ji Hong get out of coma. But the only problem that lies is the fact that patients being in a coma isn't something that doctors can control anymore. This is the type of thing that only the patients themselves would be able to get out of. This whole coma is in Ji Hong's hands - it has to be within his power. "Director Kim is being alerted that other members of the board are considering on pulling the plug."

Pa Ran lookeed surprised. "What? They can't do that. Pulling the plug is something that is decided by the family. Look at Doctor Yoo! She isn't giving up! She's still walking around, having hope on our Ji Hong. Why should we pull the plug for a bunch of money hungry animals?!"

"Ya! I didn't tell you to get mad," In Joo agrued. "I'm just relaying the message so that we know about it. And think about it, Yoo Hye Jung is practially known everywhere in Seoul and in this hospital. If the board members dare to do anything to practically the son of this hospital, they know that the end result isn't going to be pretty."

"He doesn't look like the Hong Ji Hong we grew up with," Pa Ran said sadly as he helped move the blanket closer to Ji Hong. "When do you think we'll be able to hear his laugh? See his smile? I miss our bestfriend."

In Joo sighed. "I don't know. We just have to wait. It's only been a month and half, people have waited longer."

. . .

Soon Hee and Seo Woo both glanced out the window as they watched Hye Jung get out of a mysterious car before walking down the stairs and into their house. "Who is that?" Soon Hee asked once Hye Jung was inside. "Why isn't the car leaving?"

Hye Jung stepped on top of chair, taking out the largest luggage they had in the house. "It's a friend. He's going to take me to Teacher Hong's house. I'll be living there from now on."

"What?" Seo Woo said in confusion. "Shouldn't you stay here with us until he wakes up?" One of the reasons that Soon Hee and her want Hye Jung to stay in the house is the fact that they could watch over her. Of course, they haven't been able to do so since Hye Jung is always in and out of this building. Since Hong Ji Hong's accident, it's like she became a whole different person. It's almost like her high school days but worsened. Comparing her obsession with her grandma's case with how she is a huge difference. It's almost like she has gotten on the worst level possuble. "Hye Jung."

Hye Jung didn't reply to any of their pleas as she kept piling clothes into the luggage and grabbing whatever possible into it. She stopped and stared at the medical book that Ji Hong has given her back then. Taking it, she placed it inside her purse for it to be safe. Once she felt like she got everything, she quickly zipped the luggage and turned around to look at her friends. "Don't worry about me. I'm still the same. I know that a lot of people are talking behind my back in the hospital but I'm honestly fine. Yes, I have a lot in my mind. He's on my mind 24/7 but what I can do is just carry on, right?"

Before they even had time to reply, they stood in shock to just witness Hye Jung walk out the door with the luggage in her hand. "What just happened?" Soon Hee asked Seo Woo with her eyes widened.

Seo Woo sighed out of disbelief. "Is it just me or what she just said, you felt as if none of is true?" She wants to believe that Hye Jung hasn't changed or Hye Jung isn't up to something but it's hard to ignore all the signs ahead of them. She isn't just carry on with the accident and waiting like the rest of them. Yoo Hye Jung is actually holding onto the burden and fault of the accident on her shoulders - like she always does when bad things hit her way.

. . .

Yoon Do took a sip of his water as he fnished listening to Seo Woo's explanation of what happened last night. "Wow. What is happening?"

Young Gook thought back to what Nurse Hyun said yesterday. "How was she like in high school? You've always told me stories but you never really go further than the accident that happened between the two of you."

"She wasn't someone that we would push around, she made it clear on the first day." Seo Woo shared about the past. "Of course, some girls didn't like her but no one would've messed with her. Her gangster days were practially a fairytale told among the school." She looked at the both of them, concern all over her face. "I don't think she's back to those days but she is different." She looked over at her boyfriend. "Did Nurse Hyun share anything else?"

Young Gook shook his head. "Just that she is trying to find the same black car that hit her dad and Doctor Hong."

Yoon Do sighed. "I think," he stopped talking when the main entrance of the hospital opened suddenly he saw familiar faces walking in the building with black tuxedos on. One by one, each of them walked in and stepped aside in two straight lines to make way for the last two people walking in. "What the..."

Seo Woo and Young Gook watched in surprise to see Hye Jung walking side by side with Gong Byung Doo, the gangster boss that once gave her a sports car and caused chaos in the hospital months ago.

Hye Jung and Byung Doo both looked at each other before deciding to split up. When Hye Jung crossed paths with Yoon Do, Seo Woo, and Young Gook - she simply smiled before getting into the elevator.

. . .

Hye Jung stepped out of the elevator, putting her doctor gown on as she walked along the hallway and into Ji Hong's hospital room. She smiled softly as she stared at him, fixing the blanket and making sure the IV is all plugged correctly. Her eyes adverted over to the door once she heard it opening. She nodded her head at Gong Byung Doo as he made his way over, looking at Ji Hong. "He's the doctor that came in to help save me, right?"

"Yeah."

"Your husband to be." Byung Doo looked at her. "I've been through a lot in my days and I told you, once you ask for a favor I will accept it. I am going to ask you again. Are you sure about this? You saved my life that night when you walked in and stopped the guy. I would do anything for you." Byung Doo sighed. "But this is a path that you won't be able to back out of."

Hye Jung nodded her head. "I'm positive." They both made their way out of the hospital room and over to the balcony where they could see Yoon Do, Seo Woo and the rest of the hospital staff that Hye Jung knows and has gotten to know for the past months. People who are practically family inside this building. "We have to find out the truth."

Byung Doo cleared his throat. "Have you narrowed down the list?"

Taking out a huge stack of papers from her back pocket, she handed it over to him. "It's every single person that works in this hospital that owns a black sedan." She turned to look at him, clenching onto his arm. "I feel as if this person will keep hurting people if we don't stop."

"I understand."

Hye Jung looked down at the hospital staff that rushes back and forth. One person out of this building has been targeting her, hurting those who are in her life. She has to put an end to it now. With Ji Hong in a deep coma, this is the only chance for her advance on trying to find the culprit. Right now, everyone believes that she is just sulking in sadness and depression because of Ji Hong. Instead, she just has a thousand thoughts in her head roaming around. "This is going to be a hard path that we're heading towards."

 

A/N: Hello! You've been waiting long, haven't you? Sorry! I've been busy! I've been trying to write as I go! finally i was able to finish this chapter! please do comment! thank you for the endless support I am getting from this story! it really means alot! sorry for any mistakes!