Blackness

Emergency Doctors

Ji Hong breathed in and out as he stumbled his way across the hall and into Yoon Do's office. Once the door closed behind him, he slid down on the floor. Everything is black and blurry. He can't see anything. One minute he was filling out paperwork on patients and the next, he's struggling to see anything surrounding him. "Doctor Jung...."

Yoon Do immediately got on his feet, opening his drawer and quickly rushing over his side. Taking out the syringe's cap, testing out the medicine he watched as small amounts of it escape the long needle. "Your arm..." Ji Hong extended his arm without complaint. Smacking his arm until he could visibly see the veins, Yoon Do injected the medicine right away. He watched as Ji Hong exhaled deeply, blinking his eyes repeatedly. "Can you see?"

A few seconds of silence went by until he spoke up. "Yeah...." Ji Hong gives him a small smile before he slowly got up from the floor. "Thank you..."

"Doctor..." Yoon Do looks at him with concern in his eyes. This is the third time this week that he has had a blackout like this. At first, they just believed it's just a reaction to the medicine pills or injection that he's not used to. Yet everything about his diease seems to be progressing faster than they thought. It's almost as if....he's about to be legally blind. The only thing that hangs over them is when exactly will he go blind. "You can't stay here like this." Yoon Do expressed. "You have patients that's under your care. What if one day your eyes goes black while in surgery?"

"It hasn't happened yet."

"So what? You're going to wait for it to happen in order for you to step down?!" Yoon Do yelled. He ran a hand through his hair out of frustration. "I understand that you want to stay here and work, I really do. I would hate staying at home for more than hours I should be sleeping. But this is something that we can't control. Your eyes needs as much rest as possible. Just take your vacation days. Take two months off. Your wedding is in one week, Doctor Hong. After that, you're able to go off on a honeymoon with Doctor Yoo and enjoy a nice relaxing month off. What's another month added to it?" Yoon Do took a seat on his chair and looked at him. "Being a doctor, a surgeron - it's our life. I understand that. But your life is also important."

Ji Hong looked down at his hands. "I just need time."

"Is that what you would say to Choi Kang Soo when would found out about him?" Yoon Do asked. "If he was being stubborn the way you were, would you have understood him and delay his surgery? He loves being a doctor as much as we do. If he was standing here, telling us that he doesn't want the surgery because he's afraid surgery would affect his ability to be a doctor. Would you say the same thing you're doing?" Yoon Do opened his drawer, showing Ji Hong all the syringes he has kept in there for him. "Look at this. This isn't normal."

"Doctor Jung..."

"If you don't take vacation right now," Yoon Do warned. "I have no other choice but to tell Doctor Yoo. And everyone around you that cares and loves for you. My uncle, Doctor Jo, and even Director Kim." He sighed deeply. "Please make the right choice, Doctor Hong..."

. . .

Hye Jung leaned against the wall as she watched her father sit up on the hospital bed. It has been a little over a week since his second surgery to take out the remaining shards of glasses and making sure he isn't in danger anymore. She debated alot on whether she should come and see him. Seeing as if to make sure he is fine and if he has any information about the hit and run driver. "How do you feel?"

Yoo Min Ho coughed and smiled at his daughter. "I'm fine. Glad to be awake." He took a sip of water. "I was waiting for you to come visit me. I didn't actually know if you would..."

"Yeah, I didn't know I would either..." Hye Jung muttered. "It only took two months to decide...."

Min Ho smiled. "Your wedding is in a week, you must be nervous."

"Do you remember the license of the car that hit you?" Hye Jung asked, deliberating changing the topic. "We should catch this guy before he hits another person."

"I don't remember. It happened so fast."

"Was it a black car?" Hye Jung asked. Both Seo Woo and Soo Chul have convinced her that the car had to be black. All she needs is her father to confirm it.

Min Ho nodded his head slowly. "Yeah, I believe so."

"Do you know the make and model of it?"

"Hye Jung, I don't." Min Ho said sadly. "Have you made all your wedding arrangements?"

"Can you please stop asking about that?" Hye Jung furrowed her eyebrows together. "I didn't come here to talk about my wedding."

"Then why did you come here?" The sound of the door closing and her stepmother and sister walked in. Lee Ga Jin narrowed her eyes at Hye Jung as she set down food on the table. "If you don't want to hear us talking about the wedding then why are you here?"

"Ga Jin-ah!" Min Ho expressed to his wife. "Don't start."

Ga Jin scoffed. "She started it by coming here."

Hye Jung gives her a smile, the type of smile that wasn't pleasant or annoyed. "If you remember anything, please inform me."

"Unnie!" Yoo Na called out. Walking over, she silently gave her a lunchbox. "I made you food, you probably didn't have lunch yet."

Hye Jung looked down at the lunchbox. Taking it, she nodded her head. "Thanks."

. . .

Pa Ran and In Joo stood and watched in confusion as Ji Hong pack up a mini box on his desk. "I don't get it," Pa Ran said aloud. "Why are you taking a vacation now?" Knowing his best friend for so long, Ji Hong would never take a vacation like this unless there is a serious reason. "Is there something wrong?"

Ji Hong laughed as he puts some of his notes on a study he is working on into the box. "No," he looked up at his bestfriends. "I just feel like I need a little bit of time to myself. Before marriage, before anything."

In Joo nods her head. "Ah, it's the cold feet."

"Cold feet." Pa Ran agreed. "You don't want to marry Miss Yoo, do you?"

"What?" Ji Hong asked. "Nonsense. Of course I want to marry her."

"Come on," In Joo stated. "Pa Ran and I have been married before to people. It's not an easy life to live. You have to understand and accomodate to their lives. It's annoying."

Pa Ran sat down. "Really annoying."

"How you two ever got married for more than year to your exes is beyond me." Ji Hong said as he closed the box and sighed. "I love you and care for you both but there are certain things I can't tell you." He hates lying especially to the two people he has known for his whole life. "I just need a break. Really."

In Joo smiled and leaned against the wall. "Of course, we understand. You've been through alot, Ji Hong."

The sound of someone putting in the passcode of the office door interrupted their conversation as Hye Jung walked in. With one cup of coffee and carbonated drink in one hand and the lunchbox in the other, she froze and look at the company in the room. "Oh, I didn't know you guys were in here."

Pa Ran looked at the lunchbox as his stomach growled. It's almost lunchtime. "Is that for me? Or...." he turned to look at Ji Hong. "Your future husband."

Hye Jung shyly smiled and cleared . "I don't have enough for you. I'm sorry."

In Joo laughed and pulled Pa Ra off the chair and out of the door. "Have fun, lovebirds."

As soon as the door closed, Hye Jung smiled while placing down the food on the table. Her eyebrows knit together in confusion once her eyes set upon the box. "What's going on?"

Ji Hong chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. "I decided to take a small vacation. I think I've been stressed for a while and just want to stay home. Take a breather."

"You've been stressed?" Hye Jung sat down and looked at him. "What about? Is Director Kim going through some trouble with the politcal side of the hospital?"

"No, not him." Ji Hong lied. "He doesn't want me to be involve in that anymore."

Hye Jung looked at him with worry across her face. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine." Ji Hong managed to smile as he lied. He cleared his throat, adverting his attention over to the lunchbox. "What is this?" Trying his best to change to subject, he took the lunchbox. "Did Soon Hee make this? Or...." he smiled and looked at her. "You?"

She laughed and shook her head. "I'm not that skilled yet." Her smile vanished as she thought back to her family. "Yoo Na said she made it for me. She and her mother are visiting my dad right now. He's alot better."

"That's good, it's really good." Ji Hong said happily. "It's been a tough few months for him."

"Yeah..."

Ji Hong looked at her expression. "Why? Are you still trying to look for that driver?"

"I just don't get it." Hye Jung sighed. "How can someone just do that and not blink an eye?" She knew that she was starting to obsess again. Something that both Soon Hee and Seo Woo has warned her about. She knew she had the tendency to keep looking for answers no matter how hard it may be. Just like her grandmother's death. "I just want to find that person and ask why they haven't turned themselves in yet. I mean, at least my dad is alive. What if he turned out dead? Would that driver even be guilty?"

He slid his hand across the table, interlocking his hand with hers. "Hye Jung, you should just ease your shoulders a bit and let it go. You can still find out who it is when the police finish their investigation. Right now, you should just worry about your patients."

Hye Jung smiled. "And the wedding."

Ji Hong nodded his head. "And the wedding." He watched as Hye Jung started to take out the food from the lunchbox. The smile on her face, the beauty of her eyes - he doesn't want to stop seeing it.

. . .

Yoon Do flipped through the medical papers he has on Ji Hong. He took a deep breath and groaned as he covered his face with his hands. This secret is so big, it's such a huge burden on his shoulders. Never has he thought that being a doctor and a friend could be this stressful. If it weren't for the confidential law between doctor and patient, he would rush over to Hye Jung and tell her everything. He sighed and put the medical papers into a folder, stuffing it inside the drawer and locking it. "What am I doing right now..." he muttered to himself.

. . .

Seo Woo glanced at the braidmaids dress and then over to Hye Jung. "I'm..." She doesn't know what to exactly say. It hasn't been that long since they all decided to be friends again. "I really don't know what to say." She said softly as she looked at the beautiful dress in front of her. Despite the distance and harsh she has given to Hye Jung, the fact that she even considered her as a braidsmaid - it's something that she can't even sum up. "Why are you telling me this now? A week before the wedding."

Hye Jung smiled. "Thought it would be a nice surprise."

"It is..." Seo Woo took a deep breath before she hugged Hye Jung tightly. "I can't believe this, thank you."

"Of course." Hye Jung laughed as she pulled away and gave the dress to Seo Woo. "Come on, try it on."

. . .

Ji Hong sighed as he collapsed on the bed, resting his eyes. He had just finished setting everything up on his desk - putting things in order on what he should do on this vacation. He can't go near the hospital right now. He opened his eyes and looked at his hands - these hands has saved so many lives and helped out so many families. Before he could even control them, tears started to brim against his eyes. "What am I going to do if I can't operate anymore..."

"What are you talking about?" The sound of In Joo's voice caused Ji Hong sit up on the bed, his eyes widened as he looked at his bestfriend. "What do you mean by that?"

"What are you doing here?" Ji Hong asked.

In Joo scoffed and crossed her arms across her chest. "How long have I known you? Don't you think I will notice if you lie to my face or not? We're bestfriends. Granted, Pa Ran is always too busy in his little head so he didn't notice your odd behavior." She took a few steps closer to him. "What are you hiding from us?"

"Nothing," Ji Hong insisted on lying. "There's nothing."

"YA!" Her sudden scream caused Ji Hong to jump out of fear. "Are you going to keep lying to me?" She started to rummage through her purse and took out her cellphone. "I'll just have to call Hye Jung and ask her - "

Ji Hong immediately grabbeed her phone away. He exhaled as he run his hand through his hair out of frustration. "What do you know about Toxic Optic Nerve Diease?"

In Joo knit her eyebrows in confusion. "Why would you ask me something about - " she paused and looked at his face. The way his eyes went from wary to fear, the way he was tapping his sides out of nervousness. "Ji Hong-ah...."

. . .

Soo Chul leaned over the dinner table as he watched Hye Jung focusing on making fried rice. "Is it supposed to be black?"

Hye Jung groaned as she set the dish in front of him. "I'm sorry."

He raised an eyebrow while using a fork to pick up a few pieces of burnt carrot and kimchi. "Ah, no. It's okay. I bet it'll be delicious........for someone else." He screamed in pain when she smacked his arm. "Wow, I can see you're still violent as ever."

"How's the search going?" Hye Jung asked as she carefully scoop some of the fried rice that seem okay for them to eat. "No leads?"

He shook his head. "No luck, sorry. The investigation is already bad enough on the police's side. Me and my boys can't do anything else except wait for the driver to bring in his car for a fix."

"What if the guy isn't even going to fix the car? It's already been two months."

Soo Chul shrugged his shoulders. "Unless he has another car, maybe. With that damage on the pole at the scene of the accident, it looks like the car wouldn't even function if he doesn't bring it for a fix."

Hye Jung sighed. "That's weird."

Taking a bite of the rice, Soo Chul frowned as he put the fork back down and cleared his throat. "And what are you doing worrying about something like that when you have a wedding soon." He snapped his fingers in front of her face so she could come back to reality. "Let's not think about this issue anymore. What's more important is.." he smiled. "Who will be there at the wedding? Anyone cute?"

"Will you be bringing your son?"

"No," Soo Chul face fell at the mention of his child. "His mom won't let me see him until I send some money over."

"That's not right," Hye Jung furrowed. "He's your son too, she has no right to do that."

Soo Chul chuckled as he took a sip of his water. "She can when she has full custody."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," he comforted his friend. "Once I send off some money, I can spend the weekend with him. There won't be an issue."

Hye Jung watched as Soo Chul kept the smile on his face. "You're lying."

"And you're obsessive." Soo Chul attacked back. Knowing very well that she hates being called that word.

 "Alright, fair game."

. . .

In Joo has been sitting in silence for the past hour and a half. She has been trying to sink this all in. To know that someone she loves and cares about so much will probably not be able to do something he loves anymore. She has watched Ji Hong go through hatred, fear, and loss so many times that she thought it would be enough. For once in the years that they've been bestfriends, this was the moment that she believed that Ji Hong could finally be happy. The way he smiles, the way he laughs, the way he even looks nowadays - it has all been because of Yoo Hye Jung. In the time she and Ji Hong has spent together in Maine, his expressions weren't like that. It was because she doesn't make him happy, Hye Jung does. If she understands her bestfriend - being a surgeon, a doctor, a being the right husband for the person he loves - is what he lives for.

To sit here and watch as everything almost being taken away from his life, In Jo can't have that happen.

"What are you doing?" Ji Hong asked as he watched In Joo drop everything inside the purse and onto the table. "Jo In Joo!"

She sighed out of relief, showing him a piece of paper. "This."

"And what is that?"

"I have a friend in the States," In Joo explained. "She spealizes in optic care, one of the best surgeron in her field. She has done many cases before." She handed the paper to him. "I'm not sure if she ever handled a case like Toxic Optic Nerve but we can take this chance. No, you have to take this chance."

Ji Hong looked confused. "I thought this kind of diease isn't able to be cured by surgery?"

"That's what we believe," In Joo stated. "But that's written on a book that we learned about back in medical school. Things could've changed by now."

Ji Hong looked at the phone number and address on the piece of paper. "Do you think it's possible?"

In Joo smiled. "We have to take this chance." She held onto his hand. "For your happiness and Hye Jung's."

. . .

The Wedding Day.

Seo Woo and Soon Hee waited outside the church as the guests were walking into the venue. They've been waiting for the groom and his party to arrive for the past ten minutes. The wedding is about to start in thirty minutes. When the groom not arriving yet, nothing has been settled inside yet. "Who's bright idea was it to have the groom and his party arrive later?" Soon Hee complained.

"Hye Jung's." Seo Woo answered. "She said it'll be fine since Yoon Do and Pa Ran will be taking him to the church. They did have a crazy party last night." All the men that are Ji Hong's side for the wedding spent the day at Yoon Do's house - throwing a little mini bachelor party. Of course, the party was filled with middle aged men. The only thing that went crazy was just bottles of alcohol and sleep. "Yoon Do sent me a text earlier, they should be here soon."

"Ya! Jin Seo Woo!" Both Soon Hee and Seo Woo looked up and smiled to see the men getting out of the taxi from across the street. Ji Hong was the last one to get out of the taxi, he smiled and waved at the girls.

"Come on!" Soon Hee screamed from across the street. "We don't have time!" Her eyes widened at the sight of seeing Hong Ji Hong looking very dashing and sharp in his wedding tuxedo. "Wow, Hye Jung definitely picked the right tux."

Seo Woo laughed. "He doesn't look like our Teacher Hong who used to ride the bike in a white t-shirt and jeans, does he?"

"No. He looks like someone that we'll have to call brother-in-law." Soon Hee said while smiling. "Literally."

Yoon Do fixed his tie and looked over at his uncle. "Are you happy?"

Pa Ran laughed. "There's nothing happy about watching your one and only male friend to be married off." He put his arm around Ji Hong's shoulder. "Are you sure about this?"

Ji Hong shrugged the arm off. "Stop kidding around."

"Let's go," Yoon Do said once the street was clear. "Hye Jung must be happy to see all the stress from this will be gone once you exchange your vows."

"Have she moved in yet?" Pa Ran asked.

Shaking his head as he walked behind them so he could fix his own tie, Ji Hong sighed. "She's still packing a few things. She'll probably move in by the end of this month."

"Seo Woo!" Yoon Do called out as he was the first one to make it across the street. "Oh, hi Soon Hee-ssi."

Soon Hee smiled. "Husky."

"What?" Before Yoon Do had time to ask questions, a loud screaming from Seo Woo distracted him. He turned around to see a black car driving in full speed on the streets. "Doctor Hong!"

Ji Hong looked up from his tie as he was still walking, he glanced over to Yoon Do in confusion. "What - " He didn't have time to react. He didn't even have time to see what was coming towards him. Before he knew it, all he felt was his body crashing against a car - hitting his head on the hood of the car. His body was in the air and that's when he felt it.

Even in the moment of death, his eyes went black.

The last thing he heard and felt was his body making a thud sound on the ground and the sound of people screaming. Please. Please. Please. No matter how many times he was blinking, he can't see anything. Nothing but blackness. It was the life out of him. Blood soaking his clothes, blood coughing out of his mouth. It's over. The last thing I see is just blackness.

 

A/N: here's the next chapter! yes, yes - it may be an upsetting chapter for most of you but please stick it through. a lot of more things are going to happen. i will repay you with happiness and love soon! but you can't have those without sadness and drama so here you go! please do share what you think. sorry for any mistakes.