Always Fine

Emergency Doctors

Pa Ran crossed his arms as he leaned against the wall of Ji Hong's office. "So," he cleared his throat while watching his best friend rush back and forth between his desk and shelves. "How do you and Oh Anna know each other?"

Ji Hong grabbed a medical book, opening to a page that he had marked earlier. "The hospital." He looked up from the page and shrugged his shoulders. "She was reccommended to double check on me after my surgery. She was there for my recovery process, we became friends."

"Friends?" Pa Ran made his way over to the couch and coffee table, picking up a pastry from the plate. "Why does it seem like Anna thinks otherwise?"

"There's nothing more to it." Ji Hong answered. Putting the book down on the desk, he grabbed a paper and pen - writing down information that's needed for a surgery he has later in the week. "She and I have nothing but a senior and junior relationship."

Pa Ran nodded his head as he took another bite into the pastry. "Senior and junior relationship," he glanced at Ji Hong with a smirk. "That kiss the other day doesn't seem to justify such a relationship."

"Jung Pa Ran." Ji Hong closed the book and looked at his best friend. "Did you just come to my office to discuss something as irrevelant as this?"

"Fine." Pa Ran walked over and handed him a folder. "I have a patient down in the ICU, I did surgery on her on the stomach."

Ji Hong knit his eyebrows together as he opened the folder, reading the medical information that's written. "She fell and hit her stomach on the corner side of a table? Caused internal bleeding that you had to clear out." He stared at Pa Ran, handing back the folder. "It says that she is doing fine in the ICU, what's wrong?"

"I've been monitoring her for a few days now. She does seem fine but she is stuttering her words, losing reality between the present or past. She didn't even know her son was there, confusing him for her ex-husband." Pa Ran shrugged his shoulders. "I know that I'm not the expert for anything relating neurosurgery but I went to college with you. I've sneaked a few medical information here and there while we studied together. It seems off."

"Alright." Ji Hong exhaled deeply. The only reason why they both feel as if this could be a problem is the fact that the hospital has been strict on switching patients between two department doctors. Unless there are concrete evidence that Ji Hong could take over someone else's patient, this could lead to future problems for Jung Pa Ran. "I'll check up on her during my lunch break so no one would notice. If I find anything weird, I'll inform you then we can start up paperwork to Director Kim and see if he can accept the transfer."

Pa Ran smiled as he nodded his head. "Thanks."

Ji Hong watched as Pa Ran grabbed another pastry before walking out of the office. The one thing that people easily forget about Pa Ran is that he is human too. It seems almost ridiculous to remind people of that but considering how most people think of Pa Ran, it only seems right. On the outside, he comes off as a carefree, ambitous, playful casanova type of person but in the inside, Jung Pa Ran is one of those type of people who are willing to do anything for those he cares. Sometimes he would even do anything for anyone if his gut feelings tells him to follow through with it. Depsite knowing Pa Ran for almost two decades, In Joo and Ji Hong has always have trouble trying to sense how Pa Ran feel in certain situations. Most times, he would have no problem speaking out his mind. Other times when he's quiet, no one really knows what he's thinking. And if Ji Hong can know for certain - this is probably one of those situations where he knows that Pa Ran is going with his gut feeling.

. . .

Seo Woo and Hye Jung smiled at each other as they met up at the elevator. "What floor?"

"Third." Hye Jung answered. "You got a text from Chief Hong too?"

"Yeah, sounds like an emergency." Seo Woo said as she held onto the back of her neck. She is running on a sixteen hour shift so far - there is just three more hours and she can finally take her three day break. Before then, she would refuse taking vacation because she just wanted to reach the higher rank faster but after the whole dilemma between her and Hye Jung, her family and even dating Young Gook - she started to realize what's more important. It's her own health and other prt in life besides being a doctor.

Hye Jung nodded her head as she watched the numbers go up in the elevator. "Doesn't matter. You'll be the one that is going to be assist him."

"I don't know. It depends on the type of surgery it will be." Seo Woo said as she stepped out of the elevator. "Whether he chooses me or you, it's still has to be done right by a surgeon's perspective."

"You're the one that has been assisting his surgeries for the past three weeks." Hye Jung commented as they walked down the hallway. "I think we both know who he will pick."

Seo Woo sighed as she shrugged her shoulders. "Well, can you blame him? You two are like two bickering dogs who refuses to be near each other. Professional or personal, it's a bit obvious to us. Between the two of us, we're the only ones that can assist in surgeries. I don't like the fact that he keeps choosing me - it adds more stress and load into my paperwork."

Hye Jung's attention adverted over to a silhoutte figure walking into the hallway and toward them. "I don't think think that we'll be the only one that he will be choosing for this emergency surgery."

Oh Anna rushed over with her high heels clicking so fast against the floor board of the building. With her long wavy hair tied into a ponytail, she gasped for air as soon as she stood in front of the ladies. "Hey. Sorry if I'm late. Had to finish a meeting with a new patient."

"Oh, that's alright." Seo Woo knit her eyebrows in confusion. "You're meeting with Chief Hong too?"

"Yeah. Hong texted me earlier to come in for this meeting." Anna replied. She looked at the door and over to the ladies, she smiled. "Aren't you getting in?"

Seo Woo and Hye Jung looked at each other as Anna walked past them and into the room. "Hong? Did she just call him Hong?"

Hye Jung could only manage to let out a small scoff before she walked in. Her steps halted when she witnessed Anna and Ji Hong laughing about something. "Chief Hong."

Ji Hong looked over at Hye Jung and Seo Woo. "Hm, you guys are here." He stood up from his seat and showed several x-ray pictures. "What does this look like to you?"

"Blood clots located near the brain stem and right hemmorage." Anna replied within seconds.

"Yeah." Ji Hong exhaled deeply. "This is patient Choi Jung In, someone who is under the care of Doctor Jung in general department."

"General department?" Seo Woo repeated, a little surprised at the small fact. "Are we getting a transfer?"

"Process of getting it," Ji Hong answered. "I'm waiting for the approval from Director Kim to get surgery but it already seems like a done deal to have this surgery going by tomorrow afternoon." He cleared his throat and looked at them. "This may not seem like a big surgery because it's just blood clots - easily remove them usually. The problem is that she is currently in the ICU, severe condition due to the surgery that she got done by Doctor Jung a couple days ago. If we're not careful, something could affect where the old one was done."

"Okay, so we can just be extra careful." Anna said. "When can we start?"

Ji Hong looked at them. "I just need one person to - "

Seo Woo shrugged her shoulders. "I put in my three day vacation with you the other day, you signed the consent." She looked at Ji Hong, giving him a brief apologetic smile. "I don't think I can be a part of this operation."

Anna nodded her head. "I'm already a surgeron so I don't need to take part in this. Doctor Yoo is more fitting for this surgery."

Ji Hong and Hye Jung looked at each other, their eyes briefly contacting before they looked away. Nowadays it seems more of a routine for them to be doing that than talking. "Actually, I called the three of you in here because this surgery won't be under my charge." He looked at Anna and Hye Jung. "I've spoken with Director Kim and we both feel as if it's fitting for you two to permanently work together in future surgeries." He glanced over to Seo Woo and smiled. "And of course, you will offically be under Doctor Jung again." He pointed to the computer screen. "This will be your first surgery together."

"What about you?"

Ji Hong chuckled. "I'm a Chief now. Doctor Oh has taken my old position so there has to be changes done for this department. Makes things go a lot faster for us."

Anna nodded her head in agreement. She took Hye Jung's hands and smiled. "I guess we'll be working together a lot from now on."

Hye Jung looked at her hands before pulling away. "Yeah."

Seo Woo coudn't help but stare at Oh Anna's facial expressions, the way she seems to be so giddy over everything. If she can remember right, Anna has to be at least two or three years younger than Ji Hong - around the same age as Yoon Do. Even around the age, someone shouldn't be this excited over anything. Something just feels....odd around Anna. She glanced over to Hye Jung, who's discomfort in being the room was clearly obvious. "Well, I guess Hye Jung and I will head out now." She wrapped her arm around Hye Jung's arm, walking toward the door together.

"What should we eat for lunch, Hong?" They heard Anna asking before walking out of the door. Seo Woo briefly turned around to see Ji Hong giving Anna a small smile before declining eating lunch together.

. . .

Yoon Do bit into his sandwich, narrowing his eyes at Seo Woo and Young Gook. "I'm seriously going to throw up if you two sneak another kiss at this table." He put his food down to drink his tea. "Do I attract couples or something? Why do they always become lovely dovey in front of me when eating?"

"Sorry." Young Gook said shyly before handing the other half of his sandwich to Seo Woo. "We'll stop."

Seo Woo sighed. "You've been around the new surgeron right?"

"Who? Oh Anna?" Yoon Do shrugged his shoulders as a response. "I mean, she's right across from my office now but I can't remember seeing her that often. It's only been two days since she started working. I'm sure that I'll see her more."

"Don't you think it's odd?" Seo Woo whispered.

Young Gook and Yoon Do looked at each other and over to her. "What's odd?"

"She's practically known as God's Hands in Los Angeles. She gets paid higher over there and people recogonize her work better over there. Why the sudden transfer?"

"I thought Director Kim was the one that recruited her?" Young Gook questioned. "He must've worked really hard to since she agreed to come here and work."

Seo Woo couldn't help but feel as if something was off. "I don't know. Since she's been here, she's like a magnet around Chief Hong. Everywhere he is, I see her. It's like a piece of thread that's stuck on a piece of clothing that won't go away."

"That's a bit harsh, don't you think?" Yoon Do said. "Who knows. Didn't they say that they knew each other back in LA? Maybe she's more comfortable being around our Chief for now." Yoon Do bit into his sandwich again. "Don't think too much."

Young Gook watched as Hye Jung was walking around with Kang Soo trailing behind before she turned toward the elevators. "How is Doctor Yoo doing?"

"I don't know." Seo Woo answered honestly. "She doesn't really talk to any of us anymore. Only if we run into each other in the hospital." She frowned as she thought about Hye Jung and Soon Hee. "It seems like Soon Hee is still pretty angry at her."

"Has she come by since the party?" Yoon Do knew that Hye Jung moved into her own apartment, not bothering on coming back to the house that she once shared with Soon Hee after coming back from Paris.

"Nope." Seo Woo answered.

Young Gook leaned against his chair as he crumped up the sandwich wrapper in his hands, throwing it over to the waste basket. "Now that I think about it, both Doctor Yoo and Chief Hong seems different."

"You mean not being together?" Yoon Do asked.

"No." Young Gook looked at them, leaning forward to whisper in case anyone could hear them. "Think about it. Chief Hong has always been the life of this department. Sunny or rainy days, he would always make sure to encourage the fellow colleagues. He used to smile and laugh so much that we could hear it all the way from the main floor. Practically the icon of optimism around this hospital. He made sure that everyone around him was having a good day and if they didn't, he would go out his way to make sure that he could help the least bit of it getting better." Young Gook knit his eyebows together as he spoke further. "Look at him now. He's either always holed up in that office or walking around for his surgeries. We barely see him anymore. There is no smile or laughter coming from him."

"People change," Seo Woo tried to explain. "We can't always expect him to hand off his positive energy. He's had a rough year."

"I know that." Young Gook said. "It's just that....it's as if - "

"As if what?"

"Hurt." Young Gook said. "He's hurt, he's in pain but he's not saying anything about it."

Seo Woo and Yoon Do stared at each other, taking in Young Gook's words. No matter how much they want to deny that possibility - it seems more logical than anything. Depsite the small smile or conversation that they have had with him since he came back, they could see it. The hurt, the pain, the hardship that he's going through. They all looked up as soon as they saw Ji Hong walking alone down the hallway while flipping through his clipboard. And worst of all, he's going through this all alone.

They start tensing up as soon as they saw Hye Jung walk out of the elevator, straight in front of Ji Hong on the hallway. Both Hye Jung and Ji Hong halted their steps, looking at each other briefly before they both bow down to greet and within seconds walking past each other - toward two different paths.

. . .

Hye Jung took off her mask as soon as she left the operation room, breathing in deeply. It's true what they say about Doctor Oh Anna, she does have fast hands during surgery. Watching in amazement on how fast and precise her skills were, it almost made Hye Jung feel as if she has been decreasing in her own skills.

"Good work." Anna said as soon as she walked out, smiling at Hye Jung. "Your skills are really good for a fellow."

"It doesn't compare to yours." Hye Jung said.

Anna shook her head while shrugging her shoulders. "It just takes practice and trust in yourself."

"I see." Hye Jung cleared as she checked the clock on the wall. "My shift is over. I'll head out first."

"Wait!" Anna followed Hye Jung towards the changing room. "I was wondering if you would like to have dinner together? I mean since we're going to be surgeron and fellow together for a while - wouldn't it be best if we get to know each other more?"

Hye Jung didn't know how to exactly think. "I don't get eat with people I'm uncomfortable with. You and I aren't friends, we barely know each other. I'm sorry."

"You're uncomfortable around me? Why? What did I do?" Anna insisted on knowing.

"It's not what you did, it's just how I am." Hye Jung replied.

"Ah, so the rumors about you are true."

Hye Jung turned around from her locker, looking at Anna with a blank expression. "Whether they're rumors or not, I believe it's not your concern."

"You're in your early thirties, right? I've seen your information. You're thirty-two. Don't you think it's a bit childish of you to still be acting like this?" Anna asked. "We're not kids, we're not even young adults. We're mature adults who should know that avoiding situations will only backfire."

"And what exact situation am I avoiding?" Hye Jung asked back. The fact that this new doctor comes into this hospital and start parading around as if she knows everything is starting to bother Hye Jung. Just a few minutes ago, she admired her but now it's over.

"Hong and I."

Hong and I? Hye Jun scoffed before she turned back around to her locker to change. "That doesn't concern me."

"Oh, it doesn't?" Anna sat down and sighed. "Because it does for me."

"Would you like to speed up the conversation? I have somewhere to be." Hye Jung said.

Anna got up from the bench, walking even closer to Hye Jung - closing all the boundaries between them. "If you're done with Hong, act like it. Stop giving lingering looks toward him. Stop trying to walk near him. Just stop all of it."

Is this woman serious? Hye Jung managed to let out a laugh before she leaned against the locker. "I don't know who you think you are but I'm going to drop honorifics for a bit since you're so forward with the ideas in your head." Hye Jung narrowed her eyes at the woman. "Whatever you think I may be doing to Chief Hong, you're mistaken. If you two know each other so well in your year in LA together, you should know that he and I are over. There is nothing more. And if you want to know if the rumors about me are true, fine." She stepped closer to Anna in an almost threatening way. "Yes, I've been in jail twice. Yes, I was a rebel teen back in high school and I have no problem going back to that route for ten minutes." She could tell Anna didn't expect her to talk back like this, she must've really underestimated Hye Jung. "If there are people who are calling me selfish, rude, crazy or even no empathy - maybe they're right." She backed away and sighed. "We'e going to be senior and junior in this hospital. I just hope that you learn to respect that and not overstep your boundaries with me. If you want to purse Chief Hong, I don't have any problems with that. He is the least of my worries. Trust me." Hye Jung grabbed her bags and clothes out of the locker. "And if you really do judge people by rumors, you must not be mature yourself."

"It must be nice." Anna simply said.

Hye Jung halted her steps at the door, turning to face Anna. "What?"

"It must be nice to be someone who has rumors but always has someone by your side no matter what." Anna exhaled deeply before she started gathering her own things from the locker. "Depsite all the things that he has complained about you in the year that I've known him, he always speaks so highly of you. It must be nice - to be hated but loved even more severely by one person."

Hye Jung stood in her spot frozen as Anna walked out of the room. She blinked several times, taking those words in. What exactly do they mean?

. . .

Pa Ran walked into the office with a bright smile on his face. "Anna said that the surgery went really well."

Ji Hong chuckled as he packed up his things. "I heard, it's a good thing."

"I assume that she will stay under Anna's care?"

"No," Ji Hong answered as he walked over, putting his arm around Pa Ran's shoulders. "She'll stay as your patient. She deserves to know that you saved her life by discovering her symptons early."

Nodding his head as he leaned forward to press the elevator button. "You know, it's nice."

"What's nice?"

Pa Ran smiled. "To see you honestly smile like this."

Ji Hong shifted his eyes side to side. "I've been smiling since coming back."

"No." Pa Ran said. "Not like this. It's your first genuine smile since you fly back here. Thank you."

Ji Hong pretended to have goosebumps all over his arms as he shake his head. "You're being so sentimental. Let's end it here." He laughed as soon as Pa Ran rolled his eyes. "Look, I did what I could do as a chief. Everything else was in Anna's hands, you should thank her more than me. And about my smile, I have smiled before. You act as if I'm a complete different person since LA."

"You are different," Pa Ran said as he leaned against the elevator shaft. "In Joo and I can't figure out exactly what it is but we know you. And there is something off about you - we're just going to wait until the time is right for you to tell us."

"Pa Ran-ah....." Ji Hong sighed. "The truth is - " the elevator door opened to a different floor with Hye Jung and Anna standing there. "Nevermind."

Hye Jung looked between Ji Hong and Pa Ran before greeting them. Getting into the elevator, she made sure to stand next to Pa Ran. Anna blissfully smiled as soon as she saw Ji Hong, immediately standing close to him. Pa Ran being stuck in the middle could only manage to exhale deeply. This exact moment reminds him of their college days - where women would chase after them. Being stuck in the elevator awkwardly like this is just exhausting for him.

Anna looked over at Ji Hong. "Did you eat dinner yet?"

Ji Hong shook his head. "No."

"Do you want to grab dinner together? Maybe steak? Remember that steak we had in LA? I wonder if there is any place as good as that." Anna smiled. She glanced over to Pa Ran and Hye Jung. "Do you both want to join?"

The elevator stopped at the main floor of the hospital. "No, I have a date with my boyfriend." Hye Jung replied. As soon as the doors opened, she immediately walked out - not bothering on looking back.

Pa Ran blinked as he briefly glanced at Ji Hong, his expression was blank. "Well, I guess I'll be taking my leave."

Ji Hong grabbed hold of his best friend's arm. "Anna," he pulled his arm away from her since she has been holding onto in the elevator. "I actually made plans with Doctor Jung and Doctor Jo. I hope you don't mind."

"Oh." Anna said. "Of course not."

"Okay," Ji Hong waved goodbye before walking out with Pa Ran. As soon as he saw Pa Ran's expression, Ji Hong narrowed his eyes. "It's not what you think."

"Oh? It didn't look like you were trying to avoid Doctor Oh? Okay." Pa Ran started walking ahead of him. "Whatever you say."

. . .

"Thanks." Ji Hong said as soon as the bartender brought over a new drink. Exhaling deeply, Ji Hong drank his whiskey as he stared aimlessly at the television. He can see what is going on but his ears has blocked it all. There is just too much things going on in his mind for him to focus on whatever show is playing in the bar. As he down the drink within seconds and called out for another one, he searched his front pockets. Taking out the necklace and two rings, he stared at it. When he threw it into the trash a couple of nights ago, something inside of him felt uneasy. Without even realizing why, he took it out from the trash and kept it. Like how he has been keeping it for a year. The engagement rings were specifically made under his supervision. On one of the ring has the engraving of Y.H.J while the other has H.J.H engraving. It meant to make sure that they would carry on their names with each other - no matter they are in the world. "Thanks." He took the newly poured whiskey and drinking it in one shot. Clenching his teeth as the bitter sweet taste hit his system, he exhaled deeply. Raising his hand, he looked at the bartender and gave him a small smile. "Just give me the whole bottle."

. . .

Hye Jung looked around her empty apartment. She hasn't bothered on unpacking some of the boxes because it seems more of an annoyance than anything. Most of the things are sculptures she got from France while others are mostly her grandmother's stuff that she has kept over the years. Her eyes shift over to the photo frame on her nightstand, it was a picture of her and Soon Hee. No matter how many times she has tried to call or send a message, Soon Hee hasn't bothered on answering them back. Since that night of the welcoming party, she couldn't get Ji Hong's words out of her head.

What has really done for Soon Hee in their friendship? Since knowing each other, it's always Soon Hee that goes heads on for Hye Jung. Whether it's spending the night in jail for her or helping her with her studies by being understand - it has always been Soon Hee that does everything. Even opening a restaurant has been 100% on her. Hye Jung never did anything. At first, it was because she never had the time to help out but now that she keeps thinking about. It's because she never bothered. Has she really been this bad of a friend without noticing it? Has she really just been selfish on her own issues and dwell in her own unhappiness while eveeryone carried on living around her?

Just as she was about to rest her eyes, the sound of her phone ringing made her wrestle around the blanket to look for it. She knit her eyebrows together once she saw the caller ID. Chief Hong Ji Hong. Shaking her head, she denied the phone call and laid back down on the bed. The phone started to ring again and she denied the phone call without even bothering on checking who it was. Hye Jung opened one eye to look at the time, it was already past midnight. Anyone who is crazy would only call at this time. "What the hell!" she screamed when her phone went off again. Having enough of the ringing, she picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Hi..." she could hear loud music in the background and people screaming over what sounds like a soccer game. "Is this Yoo Hye Jung?"

She blinked her eyes and looked at the caller ID again. It clearly says Chief Hong Ji Hong is calling. "Uh, this is her."

"I have a customer here that is too drunk. I've tried calling subsitute drivers but the night is too busy. I need him removed so I can carry on with my business. Do you mind picking him at?"

Hye Jung blinked her eyes. Is this really happening right now? "I'm sorry. I don't think it's the brightest idea for - "

"He's been slurring his words for the past twenty minutes. He keeps calling out your name so I assumed that you're a girlfriend or something. I searched your name and found it. Please."

"I...."

. . .

Hye Jung walked into the bar, searching for Ji Hong as she scanned around. Considering that there is a big soccer game going around, it only made sense for bars like this to be packed. She stopped walking once she saw Ji Hong with his head down on the bar counter - sleeping. "Hi, I'm Yoo Hye Jung."

The bartender sighed out of relief as he handed her over Ji Hong's phone. "Look, thanks for coming despite how late it is."

"It's okay.." Hye Jung exhaled as she stood there. How is she supposed to bring him out of the building and over to her car?"

"Let me help you," the bartender walked around the counter and carried Ji Hong onto his back. "Where's your car?"

Hye Jung hurried off to walk in front of her, guiding him to her car. She fixed the passenger seat so the bartender had an easier time putting Ji Hong inside. "Thank you."

"You must be someone important to him."

"Excuse me?"

The bartender chuckled as he looked at Ji Hong. "He's been drinking for the past three hours. As soon as he got knocked up, I've been hearing him muttering your name in his sleep. I saw a photo on his lockscrean and assumed it's you, I was right." He shrugged his shoulders and glanced between them. "He must've done something for you to be angry. Give the guy some slack, would you?" Taking out the necklace with two of the engagement rings around it, he handed it over to Hye Jung. "He's been clenching onto it the whole night. I had to take it, afraid someone would steal it."

Hye Jung stood there, a little surprised to see her old necklace and engagement rings like this. "Uh, thanks."

"Have a good night."

. . .

Hye Jung sat in the driver's seat in silence as she parked the car near Ji Hong's house. She glanced up at the building, she hasn't been here in so long. She adverted her attention over to Ji Hong, who was still sleeping. Taking the necklace and rings in her hands, she smiled softly at the engravings on the rings. How is it possible that he still has these? It's been over a year, he should throw it out by now. She suddenly remembered the bartender talking about Ji Hong's phone. Taking it out from her purse. she stared at the black screen - a little scared to press the button to see the locked screen picture. It just can't be, it's impossible. He wouldn't have a picture of her on his phone like this. Not after those harsh words that they both exchanged with each other. They have done nothing but yell or ignore each other since coming back. The bartender must be crazy. She pressed the button, the phone lit up. And there it was - a picture of her and Ji Hong, smiling brightly at each other as the lock screen.

Her heart almost stopped beating. She shook her head while silently exhaling deeply. "It must be a mistake." she muttered to herself. Not willing to stop herself, she put in the passode of the phone - unlocking it. He hasn't even bothered on changing the passcode. The homescreen picture was Director Hong and Ji Hong, standing together in their doctor's gown. A bright smile spread across her face as she stared at it. Feels almost like yesterday that she had went fishing with Director Hong. She found herself looking through all his pictures - nothing much has changed. As she swiped to the next picture, she found herself smiling even more because they were old pictures of their dates that had taken. Without knowinig, a tear slid down Hye Jung's face as she rush down memory lane of these photos. "No." She turned off phone while shaking her head. "No." she repeated to herself. The sound of a text message took Hye Jung's thoughts away as she stared at the message. Hong, see you tomorrow night then. - Anna. Hye Jung glanced between the phone and over to Ji Hong. "You have to move on..." Realizing that her own phone was buzzing, she took it out from the purse and stared at the message. Hye Jung, found a great cafe near Busan. Tell me when is your next day off and we can go together. Night. - Jun Ki. "We both have to move on." She briefly closed her eyes before dialing a number on her phone. "Hey, do you mind helping me out?"

. . .

Yoon Do walked over to the table while laughing as he watched Ji Hong rub his temples from the headache. "You had way too many drinks."

Ji Hong groaned as he took the coffee. "Next time if I say I am going to a bar, drag me away."

"Sure." Yoon Do laughed. "You're lucky we don't have work together."

"How did you find me anyway?" Ji Hong asked.

Yoon Do shift his eyes back and forth, trying to search for an answer quickly in his head. "The bartender called my number. He said you were too drunk so I came and picked you up."

"Really? Thanks." Ji Hong sipped his coffee and sighed. "This migrane isn't going away any time soon."

"Whiskey is a man's enemy."

"Tell me about it." Ji Hong muttered. "I'll take you out for dinner next time. As a thanks for picking me up, sorry for troubling you." Yoon Do just simply nodded as an answer. "How did the bartender know how to call you is still crazy."

"Oh," Yoon Do shrugged his shoulders. "He must've called every number in your contacts before he got a hold of someone."

Ji Hong nodded his head. "That sounds possible."

"I'll get more coffee," Yoon Do stood up and walked over to the kitchen. He sighed out of relief. As he poured a new couple of coffee, the memory of last night came back to mind.

Last Night.

Yoon Do hurried down the stairs and squinted his eyes to make sure he wasn't crazy. "You really did call."

Hye Jung leaned against her car and nodded her head. "Can you take him back into his house? He's drunk."

"How are you two together?"

"We're not." Hye Jung said sternly. "The bartender called me. I don't need him to be getting any ideas that this means anything so I need you to pretend that you're the one that picked him up."

"And why should I do that?" Yoon Do questioned back. "You're the one that brought him here."

"He an I aren't exactly as close as before to be taking each other home." Hye Jung argued back.

Yoon Do stared at her. "If you aren't close, why did you help him out?"

Hye Jung sighed. "Can you please?"

"Yeah, of course." Yoon Do put Ji Hong's phone into his pockets as he walked over the pasenger side. Putting Ji Hong onto his back, he started walking up the stairs when he turned around and looked at Hye Jung. "Let me ask you a question?" Seeing as though Hye Jung isn't denying or accepting, he went ahead with the question anyways. "Do you still love him?"

She could only let out a small smile. "Love has to end one day for those who aren't meant to be together."

"Yeah but right now, as in at this moment while you're staring at him - can you honestly say that there are no more lingering feelings for him?" Yoon Do asked.

Hye Jung exhaled deeply and before waving goodbye. "Goodnight, Doctor Jung."

Present, Ji Hong's house.

Yoon Do has pondered on Hye Jung response all night - there was no denial. His eyes adverted over to Ji Hong, who was opening a medicine bottle for his headache. Clearly, there are still feelings up in the air between these two. Why are they choosing to live in pain that's so obvious to others around them and not try to give each other another chance? He walked back over to the table with two cups of coffee, sliding one over to Ji Hong. Yoon Do watched as Ji Hong put on a small smile before going back to aimlessly looking at the wall. Something that he noticed Hye Jung does a lot when she is alone, when she thinks that no one is looking. The more Yoon Do thinks about, the more he definitely knows that these two belong together. How could they not tell that they miss each other even after a year has gone by?

. . .

Ji Hong walked down the hallway of the hospital with his eyes glued onto the phone. "Chief Hong!" he halted his steps to see one of the hospital's main floor staff. "There is letter for you."

"Mail? Letter?" Ji Hong nodded and smiled. "Thanks." He started opening the letter by ripping the top with his finger, he knit his eyebrows when he saw that it was just a blank piece of white paper and tiny letters written on the middle it. "What the..." I warned you. "I warned you?" Why would he have a letter like this sent to him? He looked over at the envelope, there was no return address or anything. As he was about to turn to the next corner, he bumped into Hye Jung by accident. "Oh....." he paused. "Sorry."

Hye Jung looked at the letter that just fell on the ground. She bent down to pick it up, reading the words I warned you in her mind. She stood up, handing him the letter back. "It's okay." Without any other words exchanged, she started walking ahead. As soon as she heard his footsteps fading away, she halted and turned around to look at him briefly. Her two hands clenched into fists on her sides as those words rang in her head over and over again. I warned you. I warned you. I warned you. Her eyes were filled with angry as she took out her phone - searching for the number immediately. "I warned you? You said you would back off if he and I were over. Why are you doing this?!" All she could hear was a chuckle before the phone went off. "Unbelievable." she muttered under her breath before she dialed the phone number again. "YA! Do you think I'm joking?!" Hye Jung could careless if people hear her screaming nearby. "Hong Ji Hong is off limits, do you understand me? If you send something like that again, I will hunt you down like before. And being in jail for the third time wouldn't scare me off."

"Yoo Hye Jung, the game has been fun."

"Game?!" Hye Jung repeated in anger. "You call running over somebody with a car is a game?!"

She could hear the laughter from the other side of the line. "You protected him back then but you two aren't in a relationship anymore." There was a short pause, she could hear the sound of someone inhaling a cigarette. "The big question is....who will protect him now?"

"I will find you." Hye Jung warned. "I will find you and make sure you go nowhere near Hong Ji Hong."

"Yeah? I will look forward to it."

Hye Jung doesn't even know what to think. She gripped onto the cellphone in her hand as she screamed out loud, throwing the phone onto the wall. "This isn't happening...." she muttered to herself. Feeling as if she couldn't breathe if she stayed in this building any longer, she started rushing down the stairs as fast as possible. She arrived at the garage parking lot, her eyes scanning for Director Kim. She knew that he would be out here around this time, heading out to spend lunch with his wife - something that he always does despite how much his schedule changes. "Director Kim!"

Tae Ho halted his steps near his car and turned to look at Hye Jung. "Doctor Yoo?"

Hye Jung grabbed onto his arms, her eyes widened with fear and anger. "It's happening again."

"What?" Tae Ho's car keys dropped onto the ground as he started losing his balance, Hye Jung held onto him. "No..."

"What do we do now?" Hye Jung asked shakily.

Tae Ho cleared his throat as he tried to gather his thoughts. Everything that he and Hye Jung has done was to protect Ji Hong. How is possible that everything is happening again? He clenched onto her arms even tighter, his eyes staring straight at her. "What we always do," he paused and breathed in deeply. "We protect him, no matter the cost."

Hye Jung frowned as she can't positively say that she is strong enough to do this again. Losing Ji Hong a year ago was a choice she had to make and it tore her into pieces. What she had to do to protect him cost her to lose him. She became intensely hated and each time when he looked at her with those angry, disappointed eyes of his - she feels as if she could die right here and there. What other hard choices does she have to make this time to protect him?

One Year Ago, in front of Seoul's Police Station.

Hye Jung watched as he struggled. "I can't believe I missed all the signs." She bit her lower lip and backed away from him. "Have fun in Los Angeles. Don't call, don't text - just don't bother."

"Stop! Please!"

With tears b against her eyes as she watched Ji Hong waving his arms around to search for her, she knew that his vision was slowly going away. He has no choice but to go to Los Angeles, she can't be the reason for him to not go. Hye Jung searched around and stopped a bystander who was walking by, she begged him. "Please. That guy over there," she pointed over to Ji Hong. "Can you please take him to the nearby cafe so he can safely sit?" She digged through her pockets and took out a namecard. "This is Kim Tae Ho, call and he will come pick him up immediately." Hye Jung slowly started to back away further as she watched the stranger help Ji Hong out by walking him across the streets and into the cafe safely. She exhaled deeply as tears slid down her face, "I'm sorry, Ji Hong." Sliding down against the wall as she wrapped her arms around her legs, she cried even louder as she realized what she just had done. Making Ji Hong believe that she just left him there while he was struggling is the better choice for the both of them.

Present Time

"Hye Jung..." she blinked her eyes several times as she returned back to reality. "Are you okay?" Yoon Do asked as he furrowed his eyebrows together.

"Huh?" Hye Jung nodded her head and smiled. "Sorry, I blanked out for a bit. What were we talking about?"

Yoon Do flipped over some of the pages, showing her. "Patient in ICU." He stopped walking and looked at her. "Hye Jung, are you sure you're okay? You look extremely pale."

"Why wouldn't I be fine?" She lets out a small laugh to assure Yoon Do. "I'm just tired. Don't worry, there is no reason why I wouldn't be fine." Hye Jung started walking ahead of him as a thousands thoughts go through her head at once. "I'm always fine."

 

 

A/N: Hello! Wow! Here is the next chapter! Once again, you guys gave the previous chapter so much love and support! There were so many comments, thank you so much! It seriously means alot! It gives me inspiration to keep writing and make you guys happy! So please keep it coming! Thank you so much! I hope you like this chapter! Sorry for any mistakes!