Back Home?

Emergency Doctors

Ji Hong has always believed that everyone deserves their own happiness. No matter what you went through life, happiness can always take over the sorrow that you felt. When he was young and didn't know any better, he believed that revenge was probably the best answer for everything. As he aged and knows what's more important in life, that idea has been off his mind. You don't know what can happen in life. Like he has said before, he much rather cherish each and every moment that he has. Time is limited. As a doctor, that is an even more indication for him to cherish everything more.

"Ya!" Ji Hong jumped from the sudden booming voice near him. Turning around, he immediately smiled when he saw that it was Director Kim Tae Ho. "What are you doing? On break?"

"Yes," he looked at Tae Ho. "How's life as a director of a hospital now?"

Tae Ho sighed deeply and leaned over the railing. "I really don't understand why some people are so presistent on adding politics into this hospital. Can't we all just get along and help the patients?"

"It wouldn't be a hospital without its politics, right?" Ji Hong chuckled. "Father will be happy. To see where you are, hyung."

"What about you?" Tae Ho nudged. "Wouldn't Teacher be more happy about you? Do you know how long I had to hear all sort of dreams he had for you regarding marriage? He always wanted you to find someone you're happy with. To finally see you get married."

Ji Hong looked down at the lower level quietly as people walk in and out of the building. "Wouldn't you think he'd be more happy if he got to be at the wedding?"

"Don't say that. He will be there, watching over you." Tae Ho reassured him while putting his arm around Ji Hong's shoulder. "Just like how I will be as your best man."

"What?" Ji Hong's eyes widened from the sudden announcement. "Best man?"

Tae Ho looked at his friend and colleague. "Of course! Who else would be?" He looked at Ji Hong's facial expression. "You can't do this to me. I already went parading around that I'll be the best man to your wedding!"

"Who told you to?!" Ji Hong laughed. The engagement hasn't even been a month and there's already people going around claiming that they'll take part in it? Honestly, he hasn't given much thought to who would be his best man. Of course, the choices would be between Kim Tae Ho or Jung Pa Ran. But he thought he would have enough time to choose. "Hyung! Don't tell me you..." if Pa Ran finds out about this, there will be consquences to pay.

"YA! HONG JI HONG!" Both Tae Ho and Ji Hong turned around to see Jung Pa Ran rushing over in fast speed. "What? I'm not your best man? And to think of all the pain and suffering went through in our days? You pick Mr. Old here?!"

"Mr. Old?!" Tae Ho repeated. "Ya! Don't forget I'm your boss!"

"Director, there's no such thing as boss or employee in weddings." Pa Ran nudged his best friend. "Are you really going to do this to me?"

Ji Hong groaned. "I didn't even decide who will it be yet!"

Tae Ho and Pa Ran looked at him with a serious expression. "But who would you pick right now?"

"Aigoo." Ji Hong muttered to himself before walking away from those two.

. . .

Hye Jung walked along the corridors of the hospital with her eyes glued on her phone. For some reason since her engagement, she has been searching for wedding dresses nonstop. There is no way she could stop. If sending text messages past midnight to Soon Hee and Seo Woo while she was in bed wasn't bad enough, she has been asking for suggestions on websites on what's the best theme for a wedding. She halted her steps and looked at herself in the mirror that's just randomly there. Aish, who am I becoming? From the corner of her eyes, she could see Ahn Joong Dae rushing over to probably the residence office. "Ahn Joong Dae!"

"Yes?" He tried his best to catch his breath as he wiped some sweat off his forehead.

"Do I," she bit her lip. How is she exactly supposed to word this? "Do I look different?"

"Huh?" Joong Dae asked back, a little confused in the situation that has set before him. "What do you mean, Doctor Yoo?"

"Hm, have you been noticing that I've been different? Acting weird? How do I look? Do I seem....ah, why aren't you answering?" Hye Jung whined.

Joong Dae took a step back, trying to assess this moment right now. If he says the wrong thing, he could get hit. If he says the right thing, who knows what could happen. "Which question do I answer first?"

Hye Jung groaned. "I must be going crazy."

"Well," Joong Dae quickly rushed off once he saw Hye Jung lifting up her arm.

Taking a deep breath, she looked around her surroundings. "Ah, dating really must be changing me."

"What's changing you?" Seo Woo appeared with a drink in her hand. "I could see Ahn Joong Dae running away. What is it? Is your gangster side coming out nowadays?"

Hye Jung smiled. "Jin Seo Woo, you're honest."

Seo Woo nodded her head in agreement. "Yes."

"How do I seem like these days?"

"Hm, busy?"

Hye Jung nudged her friend and started walking together to the fellow room. "I think dating changed me."

Seo Woo halted her steps with her eyes widened. "I was just thinking about that!"

"Me? About me?"

She shook her head. "No! About me and Young Gook!" Hye Jung and Seo Wook both stared at each other, bursting out in laughter. "Ah, we really ."

Hye Jung narrowed her eyes at her. "Are the boys for doing this to us?"

"That's more like it!" Seo Woo joked with her while laughing.

. . .

"Lee Hye In suffers from an injury on the head a couple months ago," Kang Kyung Joon start out saying the diagnosis about the recent patient that came into the ER. "He said he didn't feel the necessary need to get a check up for it since it only hurt for a few minutes when it happened." Flipping through the chart in his hands, "But lately he said that he has been feeling pain from the same injury."

Yoon Do looked at the computer screen, clearly there is a tumor located near his brain stem. "We're going to need to do surgery immediately." He looked at at Kyung Joon. "Call Doctor Jin Seo Woo." When he noticed the expresson from his face, Yoon Do crossed his arms. "What's wrong?"

"Doctor Jin is currently on her break."

"Call her out of her break then!" Yoon Do screamed. "Aren't you a third year? Don't you know that when there's an emergency surgery, it doesn't matter whether you're on break or not?!"

Kyung Joon winced from the screaming. "Yes, I'm sorry."

Yoon Do shook his head. "Just because Kang Soo is out for a little bit, it doesn't mean you can forget the basic of being a doctor." He waits for a few seconds. "Aren't you going to call Doctor Jin?!"

. . .

Hye Jung took off her surgical mask from her face, exhaling deeply. Checking the time, it was a little past eight at night. Right on time. As she walks along the hospital, she stopped and watched as a group of family members rush over to the reception desk.

"Where is my wife?! Cha Eun Ji! I got a phone call saying that she was here! She was in an accident!" The husband clenched onto his two kids as tears streamed down his face. "Please tell me she's okay!"

"Excuse me," Hye Jung called out as she made her way over. "I'm Doctor Yoo, I just did surgery on your wife. She's okay now. She suffered from a blood clot on the head because of the accident. Everything is all clear." She looked over at the two little kids, who were scared out of their mind at the current situation that they're in. "Your mom will be okay."

The husband grabbed onto Hye Jung's hands. "Thank you, thank you so much!"

Hye Jung smiled. "It's not a problem. Your wife will be carried over to the ICU in a few minutes. If you can please sign some documents for us, your family can go see her right after."

The husband quickly followed what she said and hurried off to sign some paperwork that needed to be done. Usually they would have to wait until the surgery can be done but the case was too severe to wait. At least for her. Exhaling deeply, she held onto her neck as she made her way over to the elevator. All she has to do is get in the elevator, walk over to the fellow room, change into her jacket and off to her bed she goes.

"Hye Jung!" She held the elevator opened for Ji Hong. "Oh, going home?"

She nods her head softly. "It's been a long day."

"I have some paperwork left to do, I can't drive you home today." Ji Hong said while chuckling.

"It's okay." Hye Jung leaned her head against his shoulders as they wait for the elevator to arrive to their floor. "I haven't seen you all day."

"It's only been a day and you already miss me that bad?" Ji Hong smiled while looking over at the camera that's located at the corner of the elevator. "Should I make you feel better?"

Hye Jung burst out laughing while covering . The things that Ji Hong says sometimes, it just comes out of nowhere. "We can't."

Ji Hong leaned closer to her, his mouth near her ear. "But I want to kiss you."

"Aish, stop." Hye Jung muttered.

"Alright." Ji Hong moved away and watched as the numbers of the elevator increase.

Hye Jung bit her lip and groaned. Pulling onto Ji Hong's doctor gown, she pulled him closer to her. Standing on her tip toes, she gave him a light kiss on the lips. Pulling away, she smiled when Ji Hong cleared his throat with a bright smile on his face. DING. "Ah, right on time." Ji Hong gave Hye Jung one last kiss before walking out of the elevator first and over to his office.

. . .

Soon Hee watched as Hye Jung flipped through some of the wedding magazines. "Hye Jung, you've been doing that for the past two hours. I thought you said you were tired?" She couldn't help but smile at the sight of her friend being so obsessive over the wedding. For thirteen years, she has watched Hye Jung obsessed over her grandmother - not letting anything positive get to her. She literally poured her life into a doctor for only one motivation. The fact that it all has changed because of Teacher Hong, Soon Hee knew that it was definitely a fateful meeting back then. "Have you decided who will be your maid of honor?"

Hye Jung adverted her eyes away from the magazine and over to Soon Hee. "You. Who else would it be?"

"Really? Me?" Soon Hee jumped off from her side of the couch and over to Hye Jung's side. "I love you!"

"Soon Hee, I would never not pick you." Hye Jung laughed. "Do you think I'm thinking too much about the wedding? It's not even a month since I put this ring on and I already have a thousand thoughts roaming around my head about it. I know the wedding won't happen until somewhere next year."

"I don't think so," Soon Hee said as she grabbed one of the magazines. "It's normal for someone who just got engaged to be this excited over it. If you weren't, I would be really worried for you."

Hye Jung smiled. "How are you and Ahn Joong Dae doing?"

Rosy red cheeks suddenly flushed on Soon Hee's face. "Why did we change the topic for?" Soon Hee hid her face with the magazine. "He's really cute once you get to sit down and talk to him."

"Really? He looked pretty scared of me today." Hye Jung added.

Soon Hee sat up on the couch. "Did you use one of your looks again?!"

"One of my looks? I have one of those?"

"Of course! The one that's scary!"

Hye Jung's mouth opened from surprise. "No, I don't!"

"You do!"

"No!"

"Yes!" Soon Hee started screaming when Hye Jung suddenly started tickling her stomach. "Stop! Stop!"

. . .

Ji Hong drank some beer as he paid attention to the claw machine in front of him. Of course, he grabbed another stuffed animal. Taking it out, he smiled while throwing it over to the other side of the room. Deciding that it's time to quit, he exhaled and sat down on his bed. Leaving the beer bottle on top of the claw toy machine, he took out his phone to send a message to Hye Jung.

What are you doing? Ji Hong start tapping his finger onto the back of his phone as he wait for a reply.

Ding! A smile spread across his face as he read Hye Jung's reply. Wedding dress browsing. You?

Have you checked for my suit yet?

Why would I check for you suit? Isn't that something you should do?

Ji Hong couldn't wipe the silly smile off his face. Don't you want to help me?

No.

Aren't you being too cruel?

I don't think so. Ji Hong decided to leave Hye Jung hanging without responding. As soon as he didn't reply, he got another message from her. Mad?

He looked over at the time on the clock. Sending a quick message, he lets the phone drop on the bed next to him before he rest his eyes.

. . .

Hye Jung opened the new text message that she received and smiled as she read it. Not mad, just tired. I'm old. I'll sleep first this time, ok? Goodnight. I love you. [kissing emoticon face] She puts her phone on the bedside table, smiling softly to herself. There were only small rare moments where she would be this happy around this time. Most of the moments were with her grandmother back at the countryside. While she would wait for her grandma to finish cleaning up, she would be this happy in the bedroom. Knowing the fact that in a few minutes, she would get to sleep in her grandma's arms again. Every night, every day. Hye Jung opened her eyes, knowing that it's not the reality anymore. Her eyes wandered over to the picture frame she has on her desk of her grandma. I miss you. She doesn't cry over her grandma anymore, she has learned to face it.

. . .

"Tell me the truth," In Joo stated as she stuffed with food. "Who will really be the best man?"

Ji Hong exhaled deeply. "Really? You too?" He took a bite of his sandwich. "You know that you can't be my best man."

"Why?!" In Joo asked in surprise. "Jung Pa Ran? You know he will try to flirt his way over every single woman at the wedding."

Hye Jung laughed. "Is the model still at his house?"

In Joo nodded her head. "It's as if she invaded that whole building. He's so scared to even set foot there to get his clothes."

Yoon Do appeared with his food tray, taking a seat next to Ji Hong. "Tell me about it. Uncle has been borrowing my clothes for days now."

"Aigoo, leave the poor kid alone." Ji Hong expressed to In Joo.

"Me?!" She pointed to herself. "What did I do?"

"Cup ramen? Really?" Ji Hong took another bite of his sandwich. "You're just like how you were in college. The amount of time Pa Ran and I had to go off and buy your cup ramen was ridiclous."

Hye Jung smiled, she's finally able to hear some stories of Ji Hong's college days. "Unnie, how was Teacher Hong like in college?"

In Joo moved her head side to side as she thought about the question more carefully. "He was popular."

"No, I wasn't." Ji Hong argued back.

"Hye Jung-ah, you're lucky that you caught a big fish. Back in college, no one could get him. He was so busy trying to learn about the medical world that he was so obilvious to everything around him. Girls kept writing him letters and he wouldn't even see it. Pa Ran and I had to collect so many and throw it into the trash can." In Joo exclaimed as she made faces at Ji Hong. "Nothing much really stands out about him in college."

Hye Jung smiled. "Really?"

Ji Hong winked at her. "She's right though. You caught a big fish."

Yoon Do sighed and dropped his spoon on the tray. "I'm eating here."

Hye Jung, Ji Hong and In Joo looked at him. "Then go."

"You guys are too much." Yoon Do whined softly.

. . .

"How's Lee Hye In doing?" Ji Hong asked as he made his rounds around the ICU.

Kyung Joon looked over the charts as he walked alongside with him. "He's getting better. We think he can be discharged within next week if he continues to get better the way he is."

Ji Hong nods his head as he waved to some of the patients that were walking around. "Make sure he has a family member with him when he gets discharged."

"Yes, doctor." Kyung Joon looked at Ji Hong. "You must be tired."

"Why do you ask that?"

"Your shoes are untied and your socks doesn't match." Kyung Joon pointed out as he looks down at Ji Hong's feet.

Ji Hong looked down. "Oh." He chuckled while bending down to fix his shoelaces. "I must've been out of it this morning."

Kyung Joon laughed. "You must be."

"Come on," Ji Hong stood back up. "Let's give Lee Hye In one last check up for the day."

As they both made their way over to the patient ward's room, a sudden scream was heard. With a natural fast reaction, Ji Hong hurried off to the source of the scream. It just so happened to be Lee Hye In's ward room. Once Ji Hong arrived at the entrance of the door, he placed his hands behind his back as an indication for Kyung Joon and everyone else near him to step back. "Get out of the room." he told the Nurse Yoo, leaving a small space so she could escape. As soon as she rushed out, he closed the door behind him - with him and Lee Hye In, the only ones left in the room. "Lee Hye In-ssi, why don't you put down the knife down so we can talk?"

Lee Hye In glared at him. "There's someone in my head! What did you do to me?! Since that surgery, I've been hearing voices nonstop! Tell the voice to stop!"

Ji hong cleared his throat. "The voice could just be a dream. It could just be your imaginary." He tried to move in closer but step back when Lee Hye In moved the knife closer to his neck. "Let's not do anyting irrational. If you kill yourself, think about your family. How would they feel? Let's try to think of another option. I'll get a CT scan for you, to make sure that there's nothing in your head. Maybe the voice will stop."

"It could?"

"Yes! I will call my team right now and get everything set up!" Ji Hong watched as Lee Hye In pull the knife away softly.

"You're lying!" Lee Hye In screamed.

With not amount of time to react, Ji Hong flinched when the knife was thrown across the room and Lee Hye In ended up being on top of him.

. . .

"Doctor Yoo! Doctor Yoo!" Hye Jung turned away from the compter to see Kyung Joon rushing over to her side. "Doctor Yoo!"

"I'm right in front of you," she said. "You don't need to yell anymore."

Kyung Joon tried to catch his breath as he spoke. "You have to hurry! Doctor Hong is in trouble!"

Hye Jung laughed. "I'm not falling for that anymore." She turned back around to the computer.

"No! It's not a surprise or anything anymore! Patient Lee Hye In has a knife! Doctor Hong closed the door behind him so the rest of us wouldn't be in trouble! He's all alone with the patient right now! We heard a screamed and then there was silence. Someone is trying to find the keys to the door!"

"No." Hye Jung muttered to herself. Running was all she could possibly do. As she rushed off to the ward room, all kind of thoughts start attacking her. What if something bad happened to him? What if he got injured? What if he died?! Hye Jung tried to shake off the feelings as she ran up the stairs and over to the crowded area near the room. "Where's the keys?!"

Nurse Yoo looked at her. "Someone is still trying to look for it! What do we do, Doctor? It's been a few minutes now and we haven't heard a word since from inside."

"Move!" Hye Jung ordered as she backed away from the door. In one swift move, she tried to push all her weight onto the door as she slammed it. She could feel immense pain on her shoulder but she doesn't care. Doing it one more time, she exhaled deeply to get all the weight in her to push down the door. Just as she was about to hit it, the door opens and she landed in Ji Hong's arms right away. "Teacher Hong!"

Ji hong clenched onto her with a surprised expression on his face as he looked down at her. "Nurse Yoo, take Lee Hye In to get a CT scan." As soon as the nurse and the rest of the members took the patient away, he chuckled as he looked at her. "What?"

Tears brimmed against Hye Jung's eyes as she looked at him. "You scared me!" She started pounding her fists against his chest as she cried. "I thought I was going to lose you!"

"I'm sorry." Ji Hong smiled. He held both his hands on her face, wiping the tears away. "Sorry for making you cry."

Hye Jung exhaled. "Are you hurt?" She looked around his arms and chest to make sure he doesn't have any cuts or bruises. "Ah!" Blood was trickling from his forearm. "You got cut?"

"It's okay. It's just a small cut when he tried to push me earlier." Ji Hong looked at him. "I'll get it bandaged up." The way Hye Jung knit her eyebrows together as she concentrated on the cut made him smile even brighter. "Ah..." he pretended to whine. "I think I got cut on my chest too now that I think about it."

Hye Jung's eyes widened as she dropped his arm and started touching his chest, searching for any sign of blood and cuts. "Where? Where does it hurt?!" Her hands start lifting his shirt but she immediately stopped once she heard a laugh escape Ji Hong's mouth. "Teacher Hong!"

Ji Hong laughed loudly as he wrapped his arms around her. "Thank you."

She sighed and closed her eyes. "For what?"

"For running here."

. . .

Hye Jung and Ji Hong walked along the sides holding hands. It was a little past midnight now. The day has been long and they were both tired but neither person wanted to leave one another. As they arrive at the front of Hye Jung's house, Ji Hong smiled softly as he tightened his grip around her hands. "Go. This time I'll watch you go inside and then leave."

"Okay." Hye Jung start turning away to walk down the steps when she suddenly felt Ji Hong pull her back to him. As soon as she looked up, his lips engulfed her lips. Kissing him back softly, she wrapped her arms around his neck as they continued to kiss. After a while, Ji Hong pulled away and pushed a strand of hair away. "Teacher Hong.."

"Hmm.." Ji Hong whispered softly as he leaned his forehead against hers.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Hye Jung wrapped her arms around his waist, leaning her face onto his chest. "Ah, I don't want to go home now."

"Want to go to mine?" Ji Hong joked.

Hye Jung laughed. "No."

"You're not being fair. Don't say you want to go home and say that."

"Teacher Hong...." Hye Jung narrowed her eyes at him. "Hong Hong Hong?" she laughed while shrugging her shoulders playfully.

"Ahh, Yoo Hye Jung." Ji Hong laughed. Playfully shrugging his shoulders like how she is. "Hong Hong Hong."

Hye Jung smiled. "Do you want to go somewhere tomorrow?"

"Where?"

"Hm....back home?"

. . .

Ji hong and Hye Jung both got out of the car as they stand in front of the building. After an two hours of driving, they have finally arrived at their destination. With the cold light breeze of how exactly the countryside should feel like, they both faintly smiled at the old Grandma' Rice Soup building in front of them. Although it has been thirteen years, the whole area is just like how it it was. Astonished by how everything still looks the same, it sent a reassuring feeling for them both.

"This is the home you were talking about?" Ji Hong asked.

Hye Jung nodded her head softly. "Home."

He wrapped his hand around hers as they walked into the old house together. "What do you want to do?"

"I don't know." Hye Jung couldn't help but get teary as she looked around. Even with the new owners, she could sense her grandma's presence in the air. "Do you feel it?"

Ji Hong exhaled as he nodded. Even with the short amount time he has known her, he still misses her so much. "I could feel her."

Hye Jung looked at him. "Let's go to the market."

"What?"

"To cook dinner."

Ji Hong chuckled. "Okay."

Hye Jung felt upset that she could only be here for a few seconds but at least she got to see the old house again. As she walked out of the building with Ji hong behind her, she touched the walls one last time again. "Bye."

"What does Hye Jung want to eat?"

She started their arms around as they walked down the street, down the streets where they helped the pregnant lady, where they first met again last time. "I don't know. Anything."

"Let's have fun during this small break that we have." Ji Hong suggested.

Hye Jung and Ji Hong held onto their hands tightly as they greeted everyone they're seeing on the streets.

It's only when happiness has reached its peak when you start sensing everything simmering down slowly. It's only when happiness has been expressed so deeply and brightly that you slowly start seeing it disappearing. You don't see it happening - the happiness that you feel and share right now will vanish before you. It's only when it's gone that you start realizing that the happiness that you once had is over.

The path that they're currently walking on together is a lot more than they can handle. They just don't know it yet.

 

A/N: Thank you for all the wonderful comments! I love reading it all! I really do! Please do keep it going! It really helps me get motivated and inspiration! Ah, here is the second chapter! The main plot for the story will start soon, I hope you guys are ready! Please tell me what you guys think! Sorry if there are any mistakes! Thank you for everyone that has been supporting and loving this story! Thank you! It means alot!