Graph II: Trajectories

Ouch, Math!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Surprisingly, the arrival of the siblings' mother had not triggered any tragic events as everyone (including the siblings themselves) had predicted. Instead, the adult had settled in quite well with her kids. 

 

During his lunch breaks, Woohyun would break to his two best friends and Sunggyu about how she was in fact living alone now, away from the man whom she had followed, and that she was no longer gambling. The three brothers were not too comfortable with her yet, but the younger ones were definitely more excited than he was to see their mum back. They had been really young when she left. Although Woohyun wouldn't let her stay with them yet, she was almost visiting them daily now. Janelle would listen to him attentively, asking occasionally if Myungsoo and Sungjong were alright with the new member in their household. Yet Howon, Janelle and Sunggyu could all agree on one thing - they were glad Woohyun's life was turning for the better. To top those off, Taeyeon (his boss at work), had just texted Sunggyu a day before about how satisfied she was with his work. 

 

In fact for the first time on a Friday, Woohyun was packing his bag rapidly when the school bell rang. When his deskmate asked, he said almost naturally, "she's coming over tonight too so I thought maybe I want to cook. Myung and Jung are excited so...catch you guys on Monday!" He left Howon stunned in his seat, but smiling. 

 

Everyone could tell Woohyun was slightly uncomfortable with the new intrusion, but he was trying. For once, he had someone he could depend on to fetch his siblings from school on days he worked, or to play with his brothers when he was too tired from the housework and homework. Sunggyu observed how his student looked more awake in class, and it energised him in his own teaching too. 

 

Yet you know when you finish one question on a Math quiz? You feel like you've just conquered the world. Like, yes! I've done it. Then you flip to the next page and you realise there is another question, and you're stuck again. 

 

Howon's phone buzzed incessantly during class today and Sunggyu had no choice but to send him out. He didn't expect the puzzled student to knock politely on the classroom door again, only to go up to him and whisper quietly, "Seonsaeng-nim, there's some trouble at home and I have to go." The bow bowed and apologised again so that his teacher could let him off right in front of the class. 

 

He watched as Howon bolted out with his belongings, with the whole class's gaze trailing behind his back, especially Woohyun's and Janelle's. 

 

-∞-

 

"Howon-hyung!" Sungjong waved enthusiastically as he watched Howon sprint across the road to meet him. The child's homeroom teacher was standing beside him, carefully appraising the highschooler as he rushed over. 

 

"Hi." He managed a quick greeting as he bowed to the teacher beside the young boy. For the third time that month Howon found himself at the school gates of the elementary school, fetching Sungjong and having to explain himself. 

 

"We couldn't contact his mother again and I understand that his brother is at work? So Sungjong said to call you instead. Are you his second brother?" 

 

"Uhm, I'm his brother's classmate. We take turns." Howon lied. 

 

The teen was glad that he continued his job, because once again he was treating the child to lunch. Not that he minded his company, he loved children and Sungjong was especially attached to him. Yet this was getting out of hand. 

 

"Sungjong-ah, slow down when you eat," Howon reached over and wiped off some dobokki sauce on the corner of Sungjong's lips. The little boy smiled and continued stuffing himself. "Didn't you have lunch in school? Gosh what are schools doing about student welfare nowadays..." Howon muttered under his breath. It was sad watching the famished child finish his meal in a flash. 

 

"No it's okay. I just didn't want to eat school food." Sungjong said. 

 

Howon was unconvinced. He leaned forward and stared at Sungjong right in the eyes. 

 

"Sungjong, tell me honestly, are you being bullied?" He started checking the boy's arms for injuries. Nothing. 

 

"No..." 

 

"Then why aren't you buying lunches for yourself?" Howon squinted as he stared at Sungjong intently. 

 

"Hyung. It's not bullying." Sungjong gulped down his cup of juice and his lips contentedly. 

 

Howon didn't budge. 

 

A minute went by as the two of them just stared at each other with their huge eyes. 

 

"Hyung, it's not bullying. I said yes myself." The boy tilted his head cutely, smiled, and left the restaurant with Howon behind him. 

 

There was a fleeting moment of fear in Howon when he saw Sungjong's face in the reflection of on the front door. The boy was expressionless, or rather lifeless. Then he turned around and flashed Howon the biggest grin again, reaching out to hold the older boy's hand as they walked down the street together. 

 

"I'll follow you to work today, hyung. I have no homework today anyway." 

 

Howon was not sure why he felt so uneasy about Sungjong's behaviour and cryptic words. 

 

-∞-

 

"Myungsoo has been visiting me by the river everyday to borrow paint or to help out. Like he just doesn't want to go home," Janelle said with her brows furrowed as she stared at the buildings across. "I actually think he's borrowing paint from me to sell art in school."

 

"Sungjong has been doing his homework at my dance school and now my boss is actually suspecting that I'm babysitting at my workplace." Howon took a piece of sandwich from the same lunchbox as Janelle and started munching away.

 

It was break time and the two teens were on the school's rooftop, looking into the distant buildings as they talked about the Nam brothers. 

 

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Howon said. 

 

"...Maybe. And the thing is, I'm very sure Woohyun doesn't know yet." 

 

"I don't think they want him to. Things are going well for him y'know." Howon looked over at Janelle. 

 

"I have a bad feeling about this. Myungsoo has gotten thinner."

 

"And Sungjong is even paler than he already is."

 

"How many times have you fetched him?" Janelle had finished her sandwich. 

 

"Three." Howon took a final bite. 

 

"Five. For Myungsoo" She let out a sigh. She wanted a proper lunch but at the rate the two of them were feeding Woohyun's brothers, they would have to share sandwiches until graduation. 

 

"Janelle, before anything gets worse, shall we pull a real good one for the kids?" Howon said as he stood up,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter