Special After Story: Circles pt. 2

Ouch, Math!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The last time Woohyun held Sungjong's hand was at least a decade ago, when he held both their siblings' hands to his own middle school graduation ceremony. The interesting thing about holding hands, was that we move from hand to hand throughout our lives. When we were young, we held on to our families. When we enter work, we shake our boss' hands. When we find love, we hold on to our other half. The last time Woohyun held Sunggyu's hand was only this morning, when the elder wished him all the best with sending Myungsoo to school. 

 

Yet right now, Woohyun found himself holding his youngest brother's hand again in the backseat of Sunggyu's car as they rushed to the scene of the traffic accident. 

 

"Howon, did Myungsoo contact either of you at all? Will Janelle be able to contact him?" She was his last hope. Myungsoo was always the closest to the girl beyond the family. 

 

"Woohyun, I can't answer you right now. I just realised that she was on that trip with his school as a volunteer. I'm here. I don't see either of them. Get here. Quick." 

 

Even in the days when they had to fight off the thugs at Woohyun's stall, or when they were almost expelled for various things they did, Howon never blinked an eye once. This time, however, Woohyun could hear his voice quivering. Maybe they were all getting old, so they were more afraid. Afraid of losing those dear to them. 

 

The scene was a mess. One bus had flipped, and its passengers were trying to crawl out of the vehicle. In its swerve, the massive vehicle had also caused a chain crash involving four cars, two vans, and another bus. It was clear that the buses were exactly what they were looking for - the school buses. Rescue personnels were rushing around carrying victims on stretchers, wheelchairs, or simply carrying them to the different ambulances parked around. 

 

Not far away, Sunggyu and Woohyun spotted a frantic Howon asking a group of students seated by the sidewalk. The kids were quivering with fear, but nonetheless they were responsive to his rapid questions. 

 

"Howon! Give them a break! They are still recovering from shock." Sunggyu tried to calm the younger male down. His eyes were wide open, searching for the girl whom he was still texting under an hour ago. 

 

"They're both nowhere to be seen," was all he managed to answer. In one single statement alone, the best friends' worlds almost came crashing together as they turned their head to the other bus - the overe. They hadn't checked that first, because neither of them wanted to believe in the worst. Maybe it takes youth to be courageous, because upon hearing Howon's words, Sungjong rushed over to the other bus, shouting for his older brother. It took Sunggyu an immense amount of strength to stop the boy so that he wouldn't approach the dangerous vehicle. Students were climbing out of the bus with the help of some firemen, but with each student, Howon's and Woohyun's hopes simply dropped a little more. 

 

"Howon? Woohyun? Seonsaeng-nim?" 

 

A familiar voice came from behind them, and Howon whipped around to see the very girl that he had been looking for. He rushed over to pull her into the tightest hug he could manage. 

 

"Howon my bones are breaking." Janelle said softly despite returning the hug with just as much intensity. 

 

"I thought I lost you." Howon caressed the girl's hair. When he finally released her from the hug to look at her, he noticed that her clothes were slightly torn and a small bruise was forming on her forehead, but she was largely unscathed. 

 

"I was one of the first to get off the bus because I was seated near the entrance. And I was on the bus at the back, so everything's fine. I've been staying to help at the scene." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter