Thank You

Ouch, Math!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This had got to be the most memorable graduation day of Hodong High School. 

 

Everyone was graduating. Every. Single. One. 

 

Even a certain individual who was barely passing. 

 

The hall was packed with teachers, students and guests. All the students were dressed in their ironed uniform complete with a school tie meant for special events. The bustling atmosphere seemed almost surreal to Howon, Woohyun and Janelle, who never thought they could make it to those seats at all. A few rows behind them, Woohyun could hear the chattering of his two younger brothers, while Janelle tried desperately to not seem too close to the two boys as she felt her parents' eyes on her back. Howon, meanwhile, was acting exactly like some of his classmates - trying to find the familiar figure of his former homeroom teacher. When he located the man himself near where Sungjong and Myungsoo were sitting, he quickly passed the message on. 

 

"Kim seonsaeng-nim!" It was like the first day all over again. Howon was the first to stand and greet him, and his classmates followed suit. Nothing changes. 

 

Only the feelings did. 

 

They each left their seat one by one as the scrambled to embrace their teacher among the crowd. This created quite a stir as a full class of thirty students tried to pull their teacher into a group hug. Indeed they were keeping their reputation as a class even till the last day - loud, cheeky as hell, and loved embarrassing their teachers. Sunggyu was not sure whether to feel honoured or shy about this commotion caused by his class. 

 

Coughs. "Ladies and Gentlemen, the ceremony is about to begin. Please return to your seats...Now..." The principal's voice boomed into the mic as he shot a firm glare in 3D-1's direction. Sunggyu had to ask his kids to head backlike a shepherd trying to lead his herd. 

 

The ceremony was a simple one. Each student would go up individually to receive their graduation certificate from Old Jungyeop the man himself. For most students, meeting the principal was quite a deal since there barely meet him for any matter. With the exception of 3D-1, everyone was excited about the handshake. Meanwhile it just felt like a last goodbye for some. 

 

3D-1 was the last class to go up. All they had to do was to collect their certificates, shake the hand, take a bow and leave the stage, smiling of course. Yet the class was not called the most un-tamable class for no reason. Starting from the first person who went up, everyone in the class sort of shook the principal's hand a little too enthusiastically, as though to thank him for not expelling them, and for all the times they had "tea" in his office. Each and every 3D-1student would also turn to the audience for a quick shoutout. 

 

"I want to thank my former homeroom Kim seon-saengnim. He was the best ever." 

 

"Kim seonsaeng-nim, I still keep that test paper where you drew me a thumbs-up and said good job!"

 

"Kim seonsaeng-nim, my last Math test score improved by 14 points!" 

 

"Kim seonsaeng-nim, we will miss you!"

 

"Seonsaeng-nim, promise you will keep in touch." 

 

They were unstoppable. The crowd were initially abhorred by the sudden disrupt in the flow, but with each shoutout the cheers and claps only got louder. Who was this teacher, doing amazing things with his students?

 

It was Janelle's turn. Her parents tensed up in excitement, watching their daughter walk up the stage. After witnessing the behaviour of her classmates, they were glad they trusted her after all. Yes, rowdy, but they were the sweetest friends her daughter could ever find. 

 

Janelle whispered her thanks to Jungyeop. The old man gave her a look, as if to convey his sincerest congratulations to her. She was merely a quiet student in his school, yet her involvement in so many things over the past year only made her a stronger person. He always knew she was a good kid, and he couldn't be happier. 

 

"Thank you, principal. I made amazing memories here. Thanks for the chances."

 

She turned to her crowd, like her classmates. Swallowing her fears for public-speaking, she shouted across the hall. "Kim seonsaeng-nim! You made us who we are today! We're sorry if we ever bullied you. Actually, we're sorry to all the teachers we've ever bullied too. Sorry and thank you. You guys were part of our memories. Whether they were tears or laughter, of us running away from school, being suspended from school, or us chasing you out of school, thanks for being there for us. Hodong has only given me great friends, an epic adventure, and a great youth. THANK YOU TO MY FRIENDS AND MY TEACHERS!" 

 

The crowd was roaring. 

 

The cheers only escalated when Howon made his way up. The "devilish" class representative of the well-known senior class. 3D-1 was practically doing a fan chant for their leader and more so, to congratulate him for finally graduating. He was late, but he made it. Jungyeop was so happy for his graduation (thank GOD he is finally out of this school) that he shook Howon's hand too happily in return. The boy and the old man finally smiled to each other, for the first time ever.

 

"Kim seonsaeng-nim! Watch out! I'm gonna turn out as an even better teacher than you! And that's some high level sh- thing - I'm telling you!" Howon waved his certificate in the air, watching Sunggyu clap from the crowd. 

 

Jungyeop was getting ready to give out the next and final certificate when Howon suddenly turned around and asked the strangest question ever, "So principal, am I right to say I'm no longer a student here?" 

 

"Technically."

 

"So I'm free to do what I want now? School rules don't apply?" 

 

Jungyeop could sense it coming, but he was too kind to not give the boy his chance on his last day. Maybe he liked this student more than he thought. 

 

"Not too crazy, please. I have a job to keep." Did he wink?

 

That wasn't important to Howon now, because he turned back to the crowd to finish his shoutout. "Janelle Kim of class 3D-1!"

 

Cat calls. Cheers. 

 

"Will you be my girlfriend now that we're allowed to date? I managed to graduate!" 

 

3D-1 was absolutely stunned by the sudden confession, and so was the whole crowd. Sunggyu could only facepalm. Gosh Lee Howon, when will you ever be normal?

 

The whole class had their eyes on Janelle, who was suddenly blushing. She pretended to look elsewhere before giving a brief, but obvious and affirmative enough, nod. The classed broke out in even louder cheers (how were they capable of such noise level!?) as they watch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter