Chapter 7

Cursed

“Sungyeol!” A gasped called, “How… it hasn’t been a week.”

“I don’t know.” He replied, “It’s almost a week, though.”

Sunggyu shook his head, “According to the patterns and the time left, your transformation should be due in 3 more days.” He replied, “What hap-” A sudden halt made Sungyeol turn around to see the intruder.

“He knows.” The angel replied, “He was there.” He added, in a quieter tone.

“He saw you transform?” Sunggyu asked, his eyes widening in disbelief, “But… how?”

“I-I don’t know either.”

“Are you hurt?” He asked, turning to the man by the door.

He shook his head, “Nothing happened.”

“Nothing? Absolutely nothing? It didn’t approach you? It didn’t hurt you?”

“No. I approached it, but even then, it didn’t do anything.”

Sunggyu stared at Sungyeol who shrugged, “I don’t understand.” He whispered, “Your curse says that the creature will kill everything it sees. Why didn’t it kill him? Has anyone ever lived from their encounter with the demonic bird?”

Myungsoo noticed the angel whose eyes became glistening, as it dropped to the floor in shame. He saw the man’s fist curl into a tight ball and his lips pursed into a thin line.

“S-Sungyeol, you know I didn’t mean it like that.”

He let out a shaky sigh, “I know.” He whispered, before looking up, “No one’s survived. Because one touch by its claw would lead to a painful death.”

“That’s why he left?” Myungsoo asked cautiously, “B-Because he could have killed us?”

Sunggyu nodded, “We’ve never seen the creature before. You’re the only one who has and lived to tell the tale.”

Myungsoo stepped back slightly at the sudden attention, “I-It was injured.” He reasoned lamely.

“Things like that never stops it.”

“But…” He trailed off, “Won’t it come back to try and kill you guys?” He asked, changing the subject.

“It might have my body, but it doesn’t have my memories.” Sungyeol said, “It won’t know anyone who is important to me, so it just goes on a rampage.”

“But you can fight it?”

“I know what it’s doing, but I can’t control it. I just have to watch from the sidelines.” He muttered, avoiding the other’s gaze.

“S-Sorry.” Myungsoo mumbled back, slightly surprising the other.

“Why?”

“I feel like I’m invading your privacy.”

Sungyeol smiled slightly before shaking his head slightly, “It’s human nature to be curious. Sungjong and Sunggyu asked a lot too.” He replied quietly, making Sunggyu’s lips curve up slightly.

“I wasn’t that curious.” He chuckled in defence, lightening the mood.

Sungyeol laughed, “You were. Probably more than Sungjong.”

“Sunggyu.” A new voice interrupted making everyone avert their attention to the hunter holding an arch.

“What is it, Sungjong?” He asked, staring at the arch, “Where’s Woohyun?”

The said man quivered slightly before lifting the weapon, “I don’t know where he went, but he didn’t take his weapon.”

Sungyeol stood up quickly, before he was halted by the elder, “I’ll search for him.” Sunggyu replied lowly.

“But-”

“If I do not return by tomorrow at dawn, you must leave.”

“Sunggyu!” Sungyeol exclaimed.

“I’ll be leaving you in charge, Myungsoo.” He relied, ignoring the angel’s protests.

Myungsoo stood straight and nodded.

“Sunggyu, you cannot!” Sungyeol yelled, “Let me come with you… in case he’s injured!” He reasoned.

“Myungsoo, come outside.” He said authoritatively, leading the younger man out. “Don’t take your eyes away from him.” He said to Myungsoo. “He needs to find the second angel, no matter what happens.”

Myungsoo nodded once again.

“You have to promise me that he will survive. He’s the only hope for this world.”

“I promise I’ll protect him with my life.” He replied without hesitation.

~

“We have to go.”

“No. I made a promise.” Myungsoo replied, carving the end of the wood to make it sharper.

“Myungsoo!” He hissed.

“Sungyeol!” Myungsoo mocked back, making the other pout. He sighed, “They’ll be okay, alright? Woohyun is stronger than anyone I’ve ever met. Trust me. He won’t die that easily.”

“But…”

“But?”

“That’s what he said about you.” Sungyeol replied in a shaky voice, “And you died right in my arms.”

“But I’m here now, aren’t I?”

“You wouldn’t have been…”

“But you saved me, and now it’s my duty to protect you.”

Sungyeol sniffed, “You’re stupid.” He said, “I’m supposed to be an angel. Protecting you. Not the other way around.”

“Well sometimes even angels in protecting.” He replied quietly.

Sungyeol stared at the hunter, who looked up staring at him back with an emotion that he could quite deter. He remembered the rapid beating in his chest, and felt it beating even harder at that moment. Myungsoo leaned forward slightly, as though testing the other. The angel, on the other hand, stayed there, as though wanting their proximity to be closer.

“You look even more beautiful up close.” Myungsoo whispered slightly. Sungyeol lifted his hand slightly, tracing his thumb along the large scar on the side of the other’s face. Their hearts were beating rhythmically as their low, shallow breaths synced in beat.

“I’m going hunt…ing…” Sungjong announced, realising that he had interrupted a moment. The two males, who were finally brought back to reality, jumped back and looked around, avoiding each other’s eye contact.

“O-Oh.” The hunter stuttered, embarrassed at the betrayal of his voice.

“It’ll only be a while.” Sungjong mumbled, before grabbing his weapon and leaving.

“I-I’m sorry.” Sungyeol whispered once the youngest left.

‘N-No, I am. I don’t know what just happened.” He blabbered, confused at the sudden pace of his heartbeat.

“It’s not your fault.” Sungyeol muttered quietly. “I-It’s because I’m an angel.” He said, “We can confuse the human emotions.” He stated as though it wasn’t a lie he had made up. In reality, he was petrified at the emotions he had been feeling for the past few days. Angels weren’t supposed to have emotions as overwhelming as this, but he figured that it was probably because of the little time he had left.

“That’s not it at all.” Myungsoo mumbled, as though catching onto the lie, “I don’t think I’m confused about my emotions at all.” He said, before heading out with his head low, leaving the angel to stare at his retreating back in curiosity.

~

He held his weapon firmly, as his head snapped to the rustlings behind a bush. Slowly, he crept towards the noise, halting immediately when he heard a loud, familiar groaning. He ran. “Woohyun?” He whispered loudly.

“S-Sung…” The other gasped.

“Oh…” Sunggyu trailed off, “Where did you go?” He asked frantically as he stared at the large wound.

“I-I thought…” The other winced.

“Don’t talk.” He replied, bending down to scoop the younger man in his arm.

“No.” He croaked out.

“Shh.” Sunggyu reprimanded, before attempting to lift him.

“No.” He repeated.

He stopped, “Why? Are you hurt somewhere else?”

Woohyun shook his head, his eyes fluttering, “I’m heavy.”

Sunggyu broke out a short smile, “You’re not.” He reassured, “Besides, I’m strong.” He replied, seeing the hunter smile weakly, before closing his eyes slowly.

 

“Are you okay?”

“Where am I?”

“I brought us near a river. We can rest here while you get better.”

“I’m sorry.” He muttered, hiding his face in shame.

“Why did you go? Without a weapon? You, out of everyone there should know how dangerous the woods are.”

“I-I saw someone.” He murmured.

“W-Who?” Sunggyu asked in curiosity.

Woohyun looked up, his eyes hazy with sleep and confusion, “Wait, where did you go?”

“What?”

“Yesterday?” He asked, his brows furrowed, as he looked around, “Where did you go yesterday?”

“I was with Sungyeol, what are you talking about, Woohyun?”

“No, you went to talk to Sungyeol, and then you left and walked away. I tried to ask you where you were going but you ignored me and continued to walk away.”

“No, I didn’t go anywhere.” He replied, “I was with Sungyeol the whole time before Sungjong told me you were gone weapon-less.”

“T-That’s because I saw you walking away.” He replied, “I kept calling you, but you seemed so blank so I thought something was wrong.”

“Woohyun…” Sunggyu said quietly, “That wasn’t me.”

“I-It was! I saw it. I remember seeing you.” Woohyun argued, as though hysterical. “I’m not imagining it, I swear.”

“I don’t think you were imagining it.” He replied.

“What?”

Sunggyu looked around, “We’re getting close to where the angel lives.” He said, before turning back to the injured man. “You can’t go back. Not like this. But I have to go.”

“No. Let me go with you.”

“No.

“I’m not that injured.” He tried.

“You have a gash across your abdomen, Woohyun!”

“I’m not letting you leave without me! I’m going with you. I have to tell them I’m okay too!” Woohyun yelled, “I may seem selfish but I deserve to live too.” He continued with tears in his eyes, “I’m better! Let me g-mph.” He screamed, only to be silence by another pair of lips. His tears fell and he shook slightly as his muscles tensed.

“You’re not going to die.” He murmured against the other’s lips, “I will never let that happen.”

“Let me go back.” He whispered.

“It’s too dangerous for you.”

“I made you come out here to find me. Now I have to make sure you’re safe going back.”

Sunggyu pulled back slightly, “And what about you?”

“If I see your safe then I’ll be safe too.”

A twig snapped in the distance, making the couple avert their attention to the source of the noise.

“Who is it?” Woohyun whispered, and sudden sense of déjà vu hit Sunggyu. His heart began to palpitate as memories began to flood.

“No.” He whispered.

“Sunggyu?”

“W-When I say run… you have to promise that you’d run east without turning back.”

“What about you?”

“I… I’ll be right behind.” He replied.

“Sunggyu…”

“I promise.” He said, “I won’t make the same mistake twice. He took a deep breath, seeing the predatorious green eyes that stared at them from behind the shrubs. “Three…” He began, taking a step back, his arms still lifted, guarding the male similarly to his six year old self to his brother. “Two… One!” He whispered harshly, and the two boys ran furiously back. Sunggyu watched Woohyun limp back, gasping for air as his injury began to bleed once again. I’m sorry. He thought, I think I like you… but I’m sorry. Once seeing that the injured man had limped away, he stopped and held the hunter’s weapon tightly, stretching the string as he aimed the arrow towards the predators whose rapid footsteps were nearing. I’m sorry if I don’t keep my promise. But you have to be safe. I can’t leave you like how I left Myungsoo. Not again. I can’t be a coward anymore.

 


Well...it's been a while..... I have no excuse I'm sorry, but heres another chapter! You probably hate me even more because of where i have left the story :D Please don't kill me >~< Do tell me what you think of it, whether it's negative or positive... I can handle it!!!

Till next time though, please be safe and well