1 | At the Airport

Firetruck || MarkHyuck

Donghyuck, surprising, got more sleep than he'd expected. And that's about, three hours.

He pried his heavy eyelids open, and closed them just as he saw his dad get out of the car to get their things out. If he saw him awake, he'll most probably make him get up and help him with the unloading.

Unfortunately, that wasn't how things are going to be.

"Kim Donghyuck get the hell up and help me get these onto that thing that carries stuff."

Donghyuck sighed and got up. He looked at the direction his dad was jerking his chin towards.

"You mean the trolley?" He asked as he rubbed at his eyes.

Mr. Kim stopped briefly to read the label on the trolley.

Property of Gimhae International Airport.

"But it doesn't say that it's a trolley." Mr. Kim scrunched up his eyebrows in confusion. Donghyuck groaned at his dad's ignorance. He picked up one of the luggages with fake ease, and placed it on the trolley.

"See? You use it to place luggages on. Now help me get the rest of the things on the trolley."

For a father and son who's leaving their house for good, there isn't much they owned. They sold everything except the souvenirs of their memories. Donghyuck had made sure he collected every single photo album of his mother and his childhood before stepping out of the house. So the only things they had with them at the moment was their passport, clothes, and many photos.

"I think it's a bad idea." Mr. Kim said after a while. Donghyuck looked at his father's face to see if he's talking to himself.

He wasn't. 

"What is?" He asked the man, whose eyes were now heavier. Not from fatigue, but sadness.

"Accepting the job." He turned to face a confused Donghyuck. Actually it was hard to tell if he was confused or not from looking at his tired (resting ) face. But being a father of a teenaged son has taught him many things.

Donghyuck pondered on the statement for a full minute as they walked past the sliding doors. "It's not a bad idea."

"What isn't?"

"Accepting the job." The taller teenage leaned down to brush off a leaf that's been sticking to his father's knee for a while. "It's going to help us pay off the loans and get some food on our table."

Mr. Kim laughed softly at the thought of finally paying off his bills.

"Plus I'll get a smartphone, right Taeil?"

Mr. Kim stopped at his tracks. "Kim Donghyuck you have two reasons to run."

Donghyuck suppressed a giggle before asking, "And what would that be?"

Taeil started to walk at a brisk rate. "One. Because you called me by my first name when I am in fact your father..." The younger male started to move away from his father, already predicting the colour of the bruises on his arm.

"...which you ought to deserve a whoop in your for."

Donghyuck was now five metres away, side-glancing at his father occasionally for good measure. If he took his eyes off, there's no telling when he'll leap. {A.N. lmao can y'all imagine Taeil leaping 😂😂😂}

"And two..."

Taeil smirked at his son, who was now full-on sprinting towards God knows where. He skidded the trolley to a stop, watching Donghyuck as he glanced behind his shoulder, realised he wasn't being chased down, and slipped on the wet floor. Obviously, Taeil didn't miss the chance to take a picture of his son, who was now having a romantic makeout session with the floor. People gave the teenager disapproving looks as they hurried past the weird scene.

Taeil casually pushed the trolley towards his son (still face-planted on the floor). He crouched down next to his son, ignoring the variety of looks people around them were giving.

"I was going to say you're stupid for the second reason," Taeil nudged at Donghyuck's head to check if he's alive. "But then you went ahead and proved that for me."

"Thank you, dad." Donghyuck groaned. He picked himself up, seeing that his dad wasn't going to anyway.

"You're welcome son." He said, and trailed off with the trolley.

Damn he's back at it again with the sass talk, Donghyuck smiled at the thought. He speed-walked to catch up with his father at the Check-In.

Finally, things were starting to look better between them