3 | The First Day of School

Firetruck || MarkHyuck

A.N: This story will be from Donghyuck's POV from now on. Happy reading!

*****

"DAD I'M LATE!"

"OKAY OKAY I'M COMING!" Dad shouted from inside the house. "Just shut up and let me put on my bright pink socks!"

At that, I groaned so heavily one may have assumed the whitewashed townhouse in front of me to collapse. I looked down at my watch. It's 8:43am. Thirteen minutes late. That too on my first day.

It's strange how dad was shouting. There was no need to damage those vocal chords mum used to love so much. To communicate from inside and outside, the walls were pretty thin so there was no need to shout at the top of his lungs.

Besides the issue of the iPhone 6-slim walls we live in, I feel the need to confront dad on his strange behaviour. He's happy and cheery one moment, then sullen and depressed on the next. Hell, I haven't had the time to find an appropriate time to talk to him, much less find the reason why he's acting this way.

One particular question I want to ask myself is; when will I be able to get to school? It would've been better if the place I was going to was just a small community school like the one I attended back in Busan. I could just walk into class with my usual sweet smile and the teacher would let me in. But this wasn't a community school. I am going to attend Seoul Institution of Private Education. The differences between my old and new school reached miles.

Going to this new school meant paying my entire family fortune for a month of schooling (I have no idea what'll happen after that month). Fancy uniforms. Rich people. Bratty people. Walks-like-they-have-a-steel-rod-up-their- people. Strict teachers. Fancy canteen food...did I mention rich people?

After what seemed like an eternity of standing idle, the person whom I call my father appeared at the front porch with a suit.

Yes a suit.

"Dad," I'm pretty sure I looked like I wanted to kill myself. Or my dad. Or both. "Please tell me you're not going to work dressed as a pregnant flamingo."

The bright smile on my dad's face slowly turned upside down at my remark and he looked down at his pink self. I felt terrible immediately. "A pregant flamingo? There's no such thing, though."

"Exactly. I've never a seen suit like this either." I started to walk away from my father. "Besides, work hasn't even started yet for you."

Now it was his turn to groan. "Donghyuck don't you have anything good to say about me?" I stared off into space with my father's proposed question on board.

Nope. I don't.

***

As the obedient student I was, I used to think getting to school late was a huge problem. But now that I've thought about all the scenarios that could go wrong, I've managed to calm my nerves.

This school is exactly as I'd thought it would be like, with ancient looking buildings and up-to-date interior designs in every classroom. It really did look like the photos on the site. Usually schools advertised their features with a variety of photoshop and landscaping skills, but this school really looked genuine. I hope the people who goes here are just like that (who am I kidding there will be stuck-up people around).

With my dad following behind, I enter the main office and walked towards a pretty woman whom I assumed to be the receptionist. She turned around as soon as I walked in and smiled brightly, making me feel a lot at ease.

"Hello! My name is Jeon Seoyoon and welcome to Seoul's Institution of Private Education, how can I help you?" She looks towards me and then to my clueless father.

"...Is this customer services or a school?" he asks, and I nudged him in the ribs, which caused him to groan in pain.

"Oh no! Are you alright?" The woman shot up and asked, and she gives me a worried look as well (probably wondering why I got into this school). "Do you want an ice pack? Does it hurt?"

"I don't know, ouch-"

"Yes yes, he's fine! Thanks for worrying." I quickly said. I gave my dad a stern look and he immediately straightened up. Hah, I knew he was just faking. "But uh, do you know where the new students report to?"

The lady smiled again (forced actually) and nodded anyhow. "Sure! So from here you exit this building and you turn right then walk straight ahead until you see another building that has the words 'Student Services' written on a silver board. It's quite large so there's no way you'd miss it." 

Convinced, I thank her and exit the building. Before I leave to find the building the lady mentioned, a surprisingly strong hand reached out and takes ahold of mine.

It's dad, and he has something to say, it seems. From the look of his eyes and his still very young face, I knew right away that he's trying really hard not to tear up. His youthful wrinkles moved like gentle waves as he tried to keep his facial expression straight.

"Hyuck-ie," he starts, seriously. There's no carelessness or joke waiting behind his words. "I want you have to have a great time at this school, okay?"

Maybe it was because I was stunned by his alter ego, or because of the sticky, sweet honey in his voice. But whatever it was, I felt stuck. I couldn't say a word or move away from him.

"Dad, I'm going to come home after school and see you again. Why are you talking like we're not going to see each other again-"

Dad placed a hand on my shoulder, held it tense, and pulled me into a hug.

"See you again, son."

*****

Thanks to all my readers who waited for months for the release of this chapter.

Also, why do you think Taeil has two sides to his behaviour towards Donghyuck? I'd love to hear your opinion!