Tired

Age Doesn't Matter...Or Does It?

Min Yu's POV

My alarm clock sounded off at exactly 6 in the morning, as usual. But it was no ordinary day. It was the 29th of June, a Friday, said my calendar. I didn't bother to get up quickly. It was a special day, of course. When you and your boyfriend or girlfriend would reach your first month together, you would practically want that moment to last forever.

I went through the daily routine, bearing in mind what I would surprise Chunji with later. Nothing could go wrong today. I won't let something ruin it.

Narrator's POV

When she arrived school that morning, Chunji was nowhere to be found. But she didn't let it bother her. Instead, she told the Teen Top members about her plan. They, too, became excited to see how Chunji would react...except L.Joe. He knew something, and he battled with his own self as to whether he should tell Min Yu or not. But he didn't want to ruin her day, especially since she had given it her time and effort. She always does when it comes to Chunji.

L.Joe wanted to blabber it out, even to anyone. But he was afraid that it would make Chunji a bad person, even to his own girlfriend. The bell rang, signaling the start of the first period classes. He was about to tell Min Yu, but she already walked away. He sighed and decided to tell her later during lunch.

"Hey Chunji," Hana, his classmate, called out before lunch break. He was avoiding her, since she made Min Yu jealous. But she had cornered him, and he slowly turned around. "Hey," he replied. They both walked down the stairs together. "Do you have anything to do later? I really really need help with Economics," she asked. It was the 4th time this month, and he'd been simply fabricating alibis to reject the offer. He was too kind to say no.

He rubbed the back of his neck and thought deeply. Since he didn't think anything important was up today, he agreed. "Just come by our dorm. But just for a while, okay? My manager would get angry if he knew I was letting someone in," he said. Her face brightened up. "Thank you so much," she said and left. She obviously liked him, but he didn't pay much attention to her. He loved Min Yu, and she meant everything to him.

After school...

Min Yu's POV

I hurriedly went to see the Teen Top members. I was too excited to speak slowly, but I was glad they understood. Afterwards, I went out and bought coffee for Chunji and me. I checked the gift inside my bag, the letter I especially wrote in my room, and the watch I've bought for Chunji. It was simple, actually. And I hope he'd appreciate what I was going to give him.

I took the cab to their dorm, and went inside without knocking. They were expecting me anyway. They were gathered in the living room, busy conversing. They stopped talking as soon as they saw me. "What?" I asked consciously. Niel looked at CAP nervously. And L.Joe avoided my eyes. The two youngest were quiet. "Where is he?" I asked.

"In his room," CAP said.

I silently walked up the stairs and headed to Chunji's room. I expected him to be sleeping, or studying when I open the door. But no. He was lying on the floor, and a girl, the same girl he'd been tutoring, was lying on top of him. "I-I'm sorry. I should've knocked," I said and left the coffee and the gift on the floor. I ran down the stairs and the members just stared at me.

"You're all bad friends," I muttered coldly. I wondered why I hadn't cried that time. Maybe because it still hadn't reached my mind that Chunji had been cheating on me all the while. "You should have told me not to come in his room, then I wouldn't have caught them in the act. Bad...bad friends," I walked as I talked, and opened the front door.

I heard someone running down the stairs. It might have been Chunji. But I didn't know. I was already out in the streets.

It was raining when I came out. Rain had always been my friend. It always poured down hard whenever something bad happens to me. It was one of the things that had been loyal to me because apparently, my boyfriend was not. I took my phone out of my pocket, not caring if it would get wet with the downpour. I pressed the speed dial to a number I've memorized so much.

"Yoboseyo?" Donghae answered. "Are you home?" I asked. "Yeah. Where ar--" I hung up the phone. I just needed his confirmation. I didn't ride the taxi. I crossed the streets blindly, without glancing from left to right, like what my mom had always reminded me. I didn't care if I'd be caught jaywalking. I didn't care if my phone would start malfunctioning later on. I told myself that nothing could go wrong today, but it to be me.

I finally reached the Super Junior dorm. I didn't bother knocking on the door again. I know Donghae wouldn't be lying on the floor with some girl like Chunji had been. Donghae didn't seem to hear me enter what with the loud sound of raindrops falling on the roof. I saw him watching television. I went behind him and gave him a hug. "Wha--Min Yu?" he was jostled. "Why are you soaked?" he asked.

In response, I just cried on his shoulder. My tears dripped quicker than my soaked clothes. He turned the television off with the remote control he was holding. "Hyung who call--" Ryeowook never got to finish his sentence because Donghae had already sent him away. I sobbed on his shoulder for almost half an hour, but he didn't care. My legs ached for standing too long, but I didn't care.

"Don't you want to change clothes first?" he asked when my sobs calmed down for a second. I didn't respond. Instead, I brought him out, and through the front door. It was still raining, and we both sat down on the porch, letting ourselves be soaked by the ever sympathetic rain. "He cheated on me," I mumbled. "But I thought it was your first monthsary today," he said. "Yeah, he chose the best timing," I replied.

"Maybe he got tired of taking care of me. I was such a burden to him. I was an un-appreciative, cold, bad girlfriend," I thought out loud. My tears mixed in with the rainwater, and both soaked my already dripping shirt. "Change clothes as soon as possible, okay?" I reminded him. I stood up and walked away towards my own house. I hope Donghae wouldn't call my mother and tell her of what happened. But I trusted Donghae, so I'm sure he wouldn't.

I remembered the lyrics of an English song. 'I'm falling in love, but it's falling apart.' I was really in love, but it fell apart. I tried my best, didn't I? I tried to be a good girlfriend, and took Chunji's criticisms positively. But it wasn't enough for him. Love gave me the best of both worlds: of pain and of bliss. But it didn't take me anywhere. People passing by would have probably thought I was crazy. I walked up the first steps of our house and went inside.

Fortunately, my parents were nowhere to be found. I went straight to my room and fell face down on the bed. I didn't bother taking my shoes off. I wasn't sure if my parents were home. I wasn't sure if I had locked my door. I checked my phone, and miraculously, it was perfectly fine. There were tons of missed calls from the Teen Top members, and also text messages.

Chunji's POV

"Annyeonghaseyo," Hana greeted the members as she went inside the dorm. The others exchanged glances nervously. "What is she doing here?" CAP said out loud. L.Joe eyed the girl as if he was about to slit . And the youngest kept quiet. "He's going to tutor me," Hana answered. "Hyung asked Chunji, not you," Ricky butted in. I brought her to my room and apologized for the members' impoliteness.

"Let's start so we could finish as soon as possible," I said when we reached the comforts of my room. I felt uncomfortable bringing her here, but to make things faster, I immediately helped her with the lessons. When 5 minutes or so passed, I pretended that my manager was about to go back. "That's too bad," she pouted. "Yeah, I better get you a cab before he arrives," I was about to stand up and reach for the door knob but she stopped me.

"Too soon?" she whispered and leaned closer to me. I was worried that someone might burst in and think that we were in the middle of doing something, but she pinned my hands on the bed and leaned closer and closer. I backed away and was about to push her when the door knob suddenly turned. She pushed me to the floor on purpose, and fell on top of me. The door opened, and who could see it better than Min Yu.

"I'm sorry. I should've knocked," she muttered, and left something on the floor. I pushed Hana away from me, and fixed myself. "Get out," I opened the door widely for her to exit. She hesitated at first, but stomped out of the room. She ran down the stairs until I heard nothing from her. I got up and examined what Min Yu had left. It was two large cups of coffee and a box.

I racked my brain for the date when I saw a note on the package that read 'Happy Monthsary!’ How could I have forgotten? I had no idea she would go far as to give me a gift on this day, when I myself had forgotten. I opened the package and saw a letter, and a watch. It looked pretty expensive, and it was for me. I gave her the worst gift ever: the image of me laying on the floor with another girl, the same girl she'd been jealous about.

I sighed and opened the letter she'd given me.

Chunji,

I love you. I know it feels weird to start a letter with those three words. Normally, people would end a letter with those words, but somehow, it felt right. It's been a month, can you imagine that?

Time flies by so fast whenever we're together. When you asked me to be your girlfriend, I hesitated at first because I was afraid that I couldn't return the love you give to me. To be honest, I only liked you when I told you I loved you. I lied, and I'm sorry. But how hard could it be to love someone like you?

And slowly, I was beginning to fall deeper and deeper in love with you. If you ask me if I love you, I would answer yes. And I mean it.

~Min Yu

I stood up and left everything on the floor. I ran down the stairs and darted out of the door. I ran to her house. It was raining, but I didn't care. It was already dark outside, making it harder for me to see anything. I ran and ran towards her house, and pushed my legs to the limit. I arrived at their doorstep after minutes of running, and stood by their front door. I wanted to knock, I wanted to explain to her parents and to her, but I know she won't let me in.

Min Yu's POV

My eyes felt sore. My tears have dried up on my pillow, and the rainwater on my clothes also dried up. I was going to be sick for sure next thing in the morning. My phone started ringing. It was Donghae. I rejected the call and let my head fall back on the pillow. I heard knocks, not on my door but on my window. I knew it was Chunji. But I didn't get up.

The rain poured harder, and the knocking continued. I took my phone and tapped the screen and started typing. "Don't bother," I typed and sent him the message. He seemed to have read it, because the noise stopped. He was tired. And I was, too.