Unwelcome Surprise

Paper Cut (Drabble Collection)

Unwelcome surprise

Kim Junghee x Choi Minho 2282 words
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"I'm pregnant," she blurts out when Kibum, executive art director and Junghee's boss, suggests that she attends the business meeting tonight.

It's not that it's such a bad thing to attend business meetings but Junghee has planned a day on the couch with Roo and she really doesn't feel like going. It's also partly because Mr. Lee is coming and Mr. Lee always thinks Junghee can use a drink more so she always ends up hammered.

Kibum lifts an eyebrow before he squints at her.

"You're pregnant?" he asks and Junghee sends him a wide smile and a nod.

She's totally pregnant, has been since 10 minutes ago when Kibum approached her and still is until Kibum leaves. Sure, Taeyeon would've told her how ungodly an excuse it is, to use something as beautiful as pregnancy as an excuse to not do her job but Junghee honestly couldn't care less right now. Not if it really gets her out of the business meeting.

She'll just fake a miscarriage in a couple of weeks and bawl her eyes out and beg Kibum for a few days off. That way she can get away with the whole pregnancy-act without the man figuring out it was an act all along.

Kibum doesn't seem very convinced.

"You can attend anyway, no one forces you to drink alcohol, Junghee."

She grumbles and wants to lecture him on the horrible manners of Mr. Lee and how she always ends up drunk and smoking a few cigarettes (because what is alcohol without smoke in her lungs?) and how bad it would be bad for her fake-child but Kibum doesn't seem to listen. So she needs more than that. Junghee sways a little and takes a step back while she groans as she places a palm on her forehead.

"Sorry, I've been having a horrible nausea these past days because of my pregnancy."

She sends Kibum an apologetic smile. The man gives up with an exasperated sigh.

"Fine, I'll ask Taeyeon to attend. I want proof of your pregnancy before the end of this week."

This has Junghee stopping her act for a split-second. Wait... what? Proof?!

"Ex... excuse me, what?"

Kibum, who has already turned around, looks over his shoulder and raises an eyebrow at her.

"I'm sure you heard me, Junghee."

With those words he leaves her in the hallway. Well, at least she got the evening off. Junghee scoffs.


Roo crawls into her lap and wiggles around a little before she lies down. The TV is on with the volume low, there's a pizza box on the coffee table and the large 1,5 liter coke is half-empty.

She's on the phone with Taeyeon and the other girl wasn't late to disapprove of her way of getting out of the business meeting. Taeyeon isn't a particularly big fan of the business meeting either because she snuck out to call Junghee.

"I know, I know, okay. All I need is a proof now, so Kibum will back off of my ."

Taeyeon laughs on the other end and calls it 'the punishment for being such a '. Junghee rolls her eyes. She can live with faking a pregnancy test if she has to. There has to be a way.

"Weren't you dating that doctor? Or did you stop seeing him?" Taeyeon asks and Junghee remembers. Yes! She knows a doctor.

Sure, her new boyfriend probably wouldn't be very cool with her asking him to sign a fake pregnancy test but hey, if she has a document from a doctor saying that she's pregnant, that has got to count as proof enough for Kibum.

Taeyeon hangs up on her with a quick 'talk to you later' when someone calls for her and Junghee stares at her TV, trying to figure out how to tell Minho that she needs him to create a fake paper for her. He would probably talk about how he could lose his internship and whatnot but really - he should do it for Junghee, right? That's what you do when you love someone.

Junghee pushes Roo lightly off of her lap before she gets up and walks into the kitchen. Maybe it would be easier to persuade him if he was actually here.

"Babe," she breathes into the phone as he picks up. It sounds like he's outside and he laughs a little at her greeting. Junghee can't help the smile that spreads on her lips when he agrees to come over. She hasn't mentioned why other than 'she miss him' but honestly, the fake pregnancy is just minor. She still wants to see him. Of course, she does.

It takes 30 minutes before he rings the doorbell and Junghee jumps out to greet him. She's clad in a long oversized t-shirt of his and a pair of hotpants and he smiles when he sees her. Minho greets her with a peck and she giggles and drags him inside.

"Hot chocolate?" she asks when he follows her into the kitchen and he grabs her waist from behind, pressing against her back and snuggling his face into the skin of her neck.

"I've been so busy."

It's a low murmur but Junghee can easily hear how tired he sounds in his voice. It must've been a busy shift at the hospital.

"I had just gotten off of work when you called."

He pecks her neck and moves his hands to her belly and Junghee becomes painfully aware of why she even called him. She shakes her head a little, her hair tickling him and he laughs a little. Nothing to worry about.

They move into the living room when his hot chocolate is done and Roo lifts her head in a greeting. Minho settles on the couch and Junghee lies down, head on his lap.

They sit there in silence while Minho sips on his hot chocolate until Junghee finally gathers enough courage to ask him.

"I did something bad today," she says in a small voice and Minho lifts a questioning eyebrow but his smile is still there.

"Hm?" he says and encourages her to continue.

"I may or may not have told my boss that I'm pregnant to get out of a business meeting tonight." Minho almost chokes on his drink, but Junghee continues. "And the worst thing is that he sort of maybe wants proof of my pregnancy and I ... kinda hoped ... you know, could you sign a document or something that says I'm pregnant?"

Her voice is a whisper when she asks the initial question and Minho looks at her incredulously.

"You're pregnant?" he asks in disbelief and Junghee scoffs and turns her head away so she's staring at the TV. He totally didn't get the point.

"How far?" he whispers and Junghee sighs.

"I'm not pregnant Minho. I lied to my boss. I need you to sign a paper as a doctor."

When she turns to look at him, he's looking at her with a sad smile.

"You know I can't cheat, baby. I'll lose my internship..."

Junghee pulls at the blanket and hides under it. Minho her hair a little.

"Are you sure though? Didn't you mention a couple of weeks ago that you were supposed to have your period?"

That has Junghee freezing. What? Her period? Sure, but ... . She removes the blanket from her face, panic flashing through her eyes. But she took a day-after pill last time they had ! And it was stupid but it can't be ... She can't be ...

"I had my period last week," she tells Minho and sends him a smile. . She didn't. But Minho wouldn't know because he wasn't home last week. He does raise an eyebrow, though, and kiss her temple.

"Maybe you should just tell your boss the truth."

Junghee shivers at the thought of confessing the truth to Kibum. Never in her life is that ever going to happen. Minho grabs her hand and intertwines his fingers with hers.

"I'm sorry I can't help you, but ... it was kind of a stupid excuse."

Junghee pulls a little on his hand and he ducks to kiss her forehead. The rest of the evening is small talk but Junghee never forgets his words.


She's staring at her calendar. It's been 6 weeks. She knows that periods are unregular sometimes but 6 weeks are too long. It's simply too long.

But Junghee swears that she took the day after pill and dammit, she knows, they should have used a but she was and - the pill should have worked!

She turns to look at the packet in her hands that weighs like a ton. With a deep sigh, she unpacks the pregnancy test and stares at it. When she places it on edge of the sink after she has peed on it, she hurries into the living room and hides under her blanket.

She's off today and she's pretty sure that God is punishing her with letting her wait on the result. Junghee doesn't know what to do if the test is positive. Minho had been sweet yesterday, but they have only been dating officially for 7 months, he's probably going to leave her if she's really pregnant. And then she'll have to find a doctor willing to make an abortion because she's not sure she can bear being a single mother - and oh god, she's only 25, she can't be a mother now.

Two hours later she pulls the blanket around her and slowly walks down before she stands in front of the bathroom. Junghee enters the bathroom with closed eyes, feels her way to the sink and takes a deep breath. When she opens her eyes she's staring at the ☺ and everything stops.

No, no, no, no, no.

She grabs the test and shakes it. It has to be a lie. She's not pregnant. She can't be pregnant. But the smiley face stays where she saw it first. No. She needs to do another one.

Junghee almost falls in her blanket when she turns around and runs out of the bathroom. She's wearing a band t-shirt and a pair of ragged jeans but Junghee doesn't think about it as she hurries out of her apartment.

She almost forgets to lock her front door, only remembering in front of the elevators before she has to run back. It takes her less than 5 minutes to run to the department store around the corner. Junghee is almost not embarrassed as she purchases another two pregnancy tests. The first one has had to be a false positive, there's just no way she's pregnant.

When she comes back home, fear starts to invade her mind. What if she really is pregnant. What if, what if, what if. Junghee cries as she takes the next two pregnancy tests and she doesn't have energy to more than just sitting on the floor, crying, while she waits for the inevitable truth.

The same positive answer.

☺ ☺ ☺

Junghee wants to punch someone but there's only really her to punch. She was stupid. She was not careful. She had been too lazy. She had forgotten about her period. She had foregone the that time.

It was once. It was ing once! Why is the world so unfair? And she cries her heart out, legs tucked close to her chest while she buries her head in her knees.

When she finally gathers herself and her crying turns to sniffles she finds her phone and takes a picture of the three positive pregnancy tests and sends it to Minho.

Minho calls 10 minutes later as soon as he sees the picture. Junghee doesn't pick up. She can't talk to him right now, she can't hear him break up with her, not when she's so vulnerable. Not when she's pregnant. Junghee doesn't get much peace, though, because she hears him call out in front of her front door 15 minutes later.

"Junghee, let me in."

He's definitely not off work yet so he must have left in a hurry and he has definitely been speeding.

"Junghee, open up, please."

She scrambles from her seat on the floor and slowly finds her way to the hallway. It takes a deep breath before she opens the door. Minho has his hand lifted, about to knock on her door again when it opens and before she gets to say anything he has wrapped his arms around her and tugged her close in a hug.

Junghee feels the tears start again. , she isn't usually this weak. Minho backs them into the apartment and shuts the door behind him before he kisses her hair and keeps her close.

They don't say anything, just stands there in her hallway. Junghee has wrapped her arms around him as well, pressed herself so impossibly close.

"We'll work it out," he promises in a whisper. "We'll work it out."

Junghee prays that what he says is true but at the same time she can't help but hate herself for not noticing sooner, for not being more aware of her own cycle. Minho doesn't say anything, just holds her close and Junghee closes her eyes and buries into his chest.

She takes a deep breath before she pulls away and sends him a small smile. Minho pecks her lips.

"I promise you, we'll work it out together."

Junghee thinks God is cruel but okay, maybe she deserved it after what she told Kibum. At least it's no longer a lie. At least she'll be able to bring Kibum his damned ing proof. And then they'll deal with everything else.

author's notes

The idea of this drabble is actually one I really value. I really love the panic a pregnancy can also bring along and I wish more people would portray it as terrifying things they don't want to happen, rather than the ever-wonderful thing, even if the pregnant person is alone. 
Thanks for reading.